• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've drafted EMA about half a dozen times now.

BUG Elves
GW Enchantress
Jeskai Control x2
Esper Control
Mono Black Midrange(sometimes you get passed three Ichorids and double hymn to tourach/sinkhole)
4c Cascade Hondens

Some initial impressions:
  • Green and black are very strong, white has great removal, red seems a little weak and blue is more of a roleplayer.
  • Despite being about eternal cards, the format is pretty low power and the games are kind of slow.
  • Lots of fringe playable/unplayable cards or stuff that just isn't supported like Entomb(although it does function as an odd flashback tutor.)
  • Archetypes overall are pretty loose, most of the enablers are at the higher rarities, so the draft plays out in a very core set-esque way. No crazy cube-style synergy decks unless you get super lucky with rares that work together(like Heritage Druid and Regal Force).
  • Creatures are oddly weak and vanilla in general, but stuff like Hymn to Tourach and Swords to Plowshares are floating around at uncommon and there's a ton of card draw, making for odd matches about sticking a 2/3 or getting some tokens going.
  • Because the matches are generally slow, the Hondens are very very strong.
  • refuge lands are pretty good easy to get a couple in your colors over the course of the draft, I generally wind up with anywhere from 2-6

Overall, it's as inoffensive as it is unexciting.

Ashodin

4sSzVI3.png

Doing a quick 2 hr stream tonight while talking about Eternal Masters, Eldritch Moon and more. Might stream some MTGO stuff too, idk

Couldn't that fan card just also be

Wither
Whenever ~ attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
1/1

And have mostly the same effect? Negative power seems like it would just create unintuitive situations (not a good target for Giant Growth!) and Subliminate doesn't play well with +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters.

On the other hand, skulk would potentially be useful on the Pelagic Pupil ;)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";205323913]I've drafted EMA about half a dozen times now.

BUG Elves
GW Enchantress
Jeskai Control x2
Esper Control
Mono Black Midrange(sometimes you get passed three Ichorids and double hymn to tourach/sinkhole)
4c Cascade Hondens

Some initial impressions:
  • Green and black are very strong, white has great removal, red seems a little weak and blue is more of a roleplayer.
  • Despite being about eternal cards, the format is pretty low power and the games are kind of slow.
  • Lots of fringe playable/unplayable cards or stuff that just isn't supported like Entomb(although it does function as an odd flashback tutor.)
  • Archetypes overall are pretty loose, most of the enablers are at the higher rarities, so the draft plays out in a very core set-esque way. No crazy cube-style synergy decks unless you get super lucky with rares that work together(like Heritage Druid and Regal Force).
  • Creatures are oddly weak and vanilla in general, but stuff like Hymn to Tourach and Swords to Plowshares are floating around at uncommon and there's a ton of card draw, making for odd matches about sticking a 2/3 or getting some tokens going.
  • Because the matches are generally slow, the Hondens are very very strong.
  • refuge lands are pretty good easy to get a couple in your colors over the course of the draft, I generally wind up with anywhere from 2-6

Overall, it's as inoffensive as it is unexciting.
[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, its VMA without Battle Screech shenanigans, without any of the fun shit and a smattering of Modern creatures which are generally unexciting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
IDK what I'm doing in Lorwyn other than "draft Cloudgoat Ranger"

Angry Grimace

Won a hard-fought game 1, then immediately lost games 2 and 3 because every hand I drew down to 4 was 1-landers, both games.

Sounds like fucking Magic to me.

Ashodin

RIP Anteri, out of the game the entire Kaladesh block cycle

Also look at that, a huge fucking post on the front page about how it's Phyrexians and not Emrakul

r/magictcg is trash, it's nothing but a mistake

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
RIP Anteri, out of the game the entire Kaladesh block cycle

Also look at that, a huge fucking post on the front page about how it's Phyrexians and not Emrakul

r/magictcg is trash, it's nothing but a mistake
Honestly all the references to the Great Work do definitely sound Phyrexian. The problem is the latticework and the purple and blue tentacles are just unmistakable

ironmang

Even 18 months doesn't even seem that long considering how many people got dicked over along the way. I wouldn't feel bad at all if they started handing out lifetime bans for cheating.

Premeditated cheating at high level events would warrant a longer ban I would think. Maybe they bought his "I do it accidently, I know it's bad, I'm sorry" narrative?

bigkrev

Even 18 months doesn't even seem that long considering how many people got dicked over along the way. I wouldn't feel bad at all if they started handing out lifetime bans for cheating.

Yeah its strange. If they thought it was a mistake and not premeditated, they would ban him at most a few months. If they thought it was premeditated, they would have given him the 4 year ban they have Jared Boettcher for a year of cheating

kirblar

Premeditated cheating at high level events would warrant a longer ban I would think. Maybe they bought his "I do it accidently, I know it's bad, I'm sorry" narrative?
They don't take cheating seriously. The worst ban someone has gotten is like, 2 years?

The only bans they ever put out with any teeth are for stuff like the buttcrack pics and the godbook.

It's so incredibly stupid.

The funny thing is I was about to ask the guys at my LGS why Anteri has been using their sleeves. I didn't find anything about them sponsoring him and it's not a huge store. Now it'd be awkward to.

Angry Grimace

This deck amuses me

xumqE9F.png

(yes you can totally lose by using Crows and having your wincon get binned)

Just came across this in commander vs

53.jpg
?

wtf is this, look at this totally inconspicuous "rogue" with the boob armor, a million belts, plates, buckles and a giant fucking glow in the dark dagger. But no it's ok she has a hood.

Is this was the general art direction reform created?

Yeef

Just came across this in commander vs

53.jpg
?

wtf is this, look at this totally inconspicuous "rogue" with the boob armor, a million belts, plates, buckles and a giant fucking glow in the dark dagger. But no it's ok she has a hood.

Is this was the general art direction reform created?
It doesn't have any evasion, so it fits in line with the mechanics of the card. Rogue in magic doesn't necessarily mean sneaky; it just means someone of ill repute.

120.jpg

Angry Grimace

It doesn't have any evasion, so it fits in line with the mechanics of the card. Rogue in magic doesn't necessarily mean sneaky; it just means someone of ill repute.

lol everything about the card says "thief"

I guess she just sucks at it

It's because the good version of that card is a Wizard.

Image.ashx

I mean, my favorite version is a rogue I guess

Image.ashx

I mean, I want it to be the Phyrexians in EMN, but it's mostly because I like the ideas thematically of Phyrexians Horror clashing with Innistrad, especially since so much of Innistrad's feel is humans fighting against the dark forces vs the Phyrexians being corrupted from within(plus, Order of Saint Traft is totally Bant which is the colors New Phyrexia is strongest in IIRC). But even I'm at the point where I'm believing it's Emrakul.

Oh hey, a Standard Prison deck

On another note, I'll try to guess what colors of planeswalkers we'll see in Kaladesh, based on the colors that will be in Standard from other blocks. We know Kaladesh will have Chandra and Saheeli (who I assume is UR), and Eldritch Moon will have Liliana, so I added them in. I also went ahead and added Tamiyo as mono-blue, even though we don't know for sure she'll get a card.

White
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar - W
Nahiri, the Harbinger - RW
Sorin, Grim Nemesis - WB

Blue
Jace, Unraveler of Secrets - U
Kiora, Master of the Depths - GU
(Eldritch Moon) Tamiyo - U
(Kaladesh) Saheeli - UR

Black
Ob Nixilis Reignited - B
Sorin, Grim Nemesis - WB
(Eldritch Moon) Liliana - B

Red
Arlinn Kord - RG
Chandra, Flamecaller - R
(Kaladesh) Saheeli - UR
(Kaladesh) Chandra - R

Green
Arlinn Kord - RG
Nissa, Voice of Zendikar - G

They've actually been keeping it more balanced than I expected when I started this, but I expect that we'll see more white, black, and green planeswalkers. Many people have suggested that Tezzeret would appear in Kaladesh, but if he does, I expect that he'll be UB so black can get another card. I don't think we'll get any blue planeswalkers in Kaladesh other than Saheeli and maybe Tezzeret, and we definitely won't have any red planeswalkers other than Chandra and Saheeli.

They've said they'll be slowing down the introduction of new planeswalkers, so what old ones will appear? Like I said, red's out, so that means no Bolas. Storywise, I don't think Ajani will appear until we go back to Theros. Elspeth's dead. To get a white planeswalker, Gideon might come along to Kaladesh. If Tezzeret is returning, then there's no room for other blue planeswalkers. For black planeswalkers, Liliana is in the previous set, so we might get Ob Nixilis. For a green planeswalker, Nissa might come along. If they're feeling saucy, they might bring back Vraska to check off both black and green.

So my guess is:
* Tezzeret will return with a UB card.
* One of Gideon or Nissa will come along with Chandra.
* The color that isn't chosen above will get a new character. Both white and green definitely need another monocolor option.

Ashodin

Yeah and I think (I hope anyway!) that everyone would agree that cyborg werewolves and like vampires with metal teeth and shit are dumb.

YO the fuck? I liked vampires on Mirrodin with metal teeth

planeswalker shit

Fuck that give me a new white knight planeswalker

Image.ashx

Like this guy

Gideon is still on Zendikar helping with the eradication of the Eldrazi

So I only expect him to show up in Aether Revolt (dude loves him some fuckin' protect the weak)

Angry Grimace

I am completely lost at what this guy was talking about:

1:41 AM Mana Birds Dream: Really?
1:42 AM Mana Birds Dream: You are going to slow roll me with 5 mana
1:42 AM Mana Birds Dream: really ?
1:42 AM Mana Birds Dream: ok
1:42 AM [me]: ?
1:42 AM [me]: I don't understand

I have no idea what he was talking about, we were on game 2 and both had 21:00 on the clock, so I my assumption that he was talking about slow play or something made no sense.

Also, he just rage-dropped because he tried to target a Cleric during my upkeep with Tooth Collector, so in response I sacced all my guys to flip Westvale with 0 cards in hand. I drew a Plains. Cracked a Clue, drew Topplegeist. Played the Plains and the Topplegeist to tap his Flameblade Angel and swing for lethal. I mean, feels bad, but I had a shitload of games that felt bad a fuck before that game so fuck outta here with that.

Card Boy

Banned
Outside the boosters are the cards you get in Deckbuilders toolkits the same or diffrent each time? Sort of thinking they are better value than a Fat Pack to be honest and i can get them cheaper too over a Fat Pack. I already got one but am think of getting another.

Xis

Outside the boosters are the cards you get in Deckbuilders toolkits the same or diffrent each time? Sort of thinking they are better value than a Fat Pack to be honest and i can get them cheaper too over a Fat Pack. I already got one but am think of getting another.

I believe they are semi-random; (at least they were for the Origins toolkit). Some of the cards there were fixed, for the rest then there were 10 different possible archetypes and you got the cards for two of them.

EDIT: Meh, I was close:
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/magic-origins-deck-builder-s-toolkit-review
Looks to be mostly fixed, 44 of the cards can vary.

Yeef

I'm not sure how that qualifies as a prison deck. It just looks like a worse version of the Brain in a Jar deck that's been floating around.

On another note, I'll try to guess what colors of planeswalkers we'll see in Kaladesh, based on the colors that will be in Standard from other blocks. We know Kaladesh will have Chandra and Saheeli (who I assume is UR), and Eldritch Moon will have Liliana, so I added them in. I also went ahead and added Tamiyo as mono-blue, even though we don't know for sure she'll get a card.

White
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar - W
Sorin, Grim Nemesis - WB

Blue
Jace, Unraveler of Secrets - U
(Eldritch Moon) Tamiyo - U
(Kaladesh) Saheeli - UR

Black
Ob Nixilis Reignited - B
Sorin, Grim Nemesis - WB
(Eldritch Moon) Liliana - B

Red
Arlinn Kord - RG
Chandra, Flamecaller - R
(Kaladesh) Saheeli - UR
(Kaladesh) Chandra - R

Green
Arlinn Kord - RG
Nissa, Voice of Zendikar - G

They've actually been keeping it more balanced than I expected when I started this, but I expect that we'll see more white, black, and green planeswalkers. Many people have suggested that Tezzeret would appear in Kaladesh, but if he does, I expect that he'll be UB so black can get another card. I don't think we'll get any blue planeswalkers in Kaladesh other than Saheeli and maybe Tezzeret, and we definitely won't have any red planeswalkers other than Chandra and Saheeli.

They've said they'll be slowing down the introduction of new planeswalkers, so what old ones will appear? Like I said, red's out, so that means no Bolas. Storywise, I don't think Ajani will appear until we go back to Theros. Elspeth's dead. To get a white planeswalker, Gideon might come along to Kaladesh. If Tezzeret is returning, then there's no room for other blue planeswalkers. For black planeswalkers, Liliana is in the previous set, so we might get Ob Nixilis. For a green planeswalker, Nissa might come along. If they're feeling saucy, they might bring back Vraska to check off both black and green.

So my guess is:
* Tezzeret will return with a UB card.
* One of Gideon or Nissa will come along with Chandra.
* The color that isn't chosen above will get a new character. Both white and green definitely need another monocolor option.
I don't think Saheeli will be UR, I think she'll be WU. Tamiyo's also almost certainly GU or GWU. Hard to say what other planeswalkers might show up in the block without knowing even the basics of the story.

Angry Grimace

I enjoy the flavor and feel of Lorwyn so far, but I actually think its relatively hard to play. The lack of NWO makes it so that boardstates are really complicated and ends up making that more difficult than just figuring out what to draft (whatever tribal synergy is open + changelings).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom