• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I enjoy the flavor and feel of Lorwyn so far, but I actually think its relatively hard to play. The lack of NWO makes it so that boardstates are really complicated and ends up making that more difficult than just figuring out what to draft (whatever tribal synergy is open + changelings).

That is more or less what I remember of Lorwyn yeah

Firemind

I enjoy the flavor and feel of Lorwyn so far, but I actually think its relatively hard to play. The lack of NWO makes it so that boardstates are really complicated and ends up making that more difficult than just figuring out what to draft (whatever tribal synergy is open + changelings).
There's a changeling that changes types to changeling. It's really good with Thundercloud Shaman.

There's a changeling that changes types to changeling. It's really good with Thundercloud Shaman.

26.jpg

broken

but you probably meant this one?

51.jpg

Firemind

Yeah the second one LOL I never opened a mirror entity.

I remember there was a guy that opened a sealed pool with TWO mirror entities.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mirror Entity was fucking busted in MM2015. I used to consistently force-draft R/W Equipment. It was unbelievably busted if and when you got passed shit like Mirror Entity.

Santiako

Mirror Entity is one of my win conditions in my Alesha tokens edh deck. Once you have a few tokens out, you can just swing for 20 or so every turn until you get wiped. The you reanimate it and start again. It's so good.

Yeah people think of NWO as being a reaction to Time Spiral but Lorwyn was actually way more of a factor. In Time Spiral the full-block draft experience is brain-melting but a lot of the decks play in at least a reasonably comprehensible way once you get going. In Lorwyn you need to identify a good synergy right away and then the actual gameplay is just a constant parade of walking into on-board tricks or missing huge plays because you miscalculated the interaction of like six weird tribal abilities.

bigkrev

Saffron Olive streaming Saito U/R
Keeps a hand of 3 Lands and 3 Spells, scrys a land to the bottom, and then spends the next 7 turns drawing nothing but land

Ashodin

Today's video is just a basic video talking about Discrimination at FNMs. Just want to get some encouraging words off my chest. I also reveal a secret about myself.

Crocodile

Watching streams of Lorwyn drafts is so nostalgic. The format was so much fun. Silvergill Dowser is probably one of my top 10 favorite Magic cards <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For what its worth, I wouldn't listen to me with regards to Lorwyn draft anyways. I have 0 game wins.

Watching streams of Lorwyn drafts is so nostalgic. The format was so much fun. Silvergill Dowser is probably one of my top 10 favorite Magic cards <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I made my favourite deck back then in merfolk, only that it milled opponents out with this awesome card.

58.jpg

We all had tribal kitchentable decks back then.

Yeah, a pack of "MTGO Beta Test" is about 50% cards from the most recent set, then 50% cards from the rest of Magic's history. The historical cards are almost always rare, just to make sure that you're getting the maximum amount of wacky complexity possible. The goal is to make sure that cards and card types work correctly together (but even still, we are barely scratching the surface when it comes to testing card interactions across Magic's history). They stuff the packs full of Vivid lands because they want to you play everything cool so you test more stuff.

EDIT: Oh shit, I just got a closed beta invite to Eternal (LSV and co's Hearthstone competitor). And I just bought Overwatch. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Angry Grimace

Man do I miss Rebecca Guay's art. That's just a random uncommon and the art is insane.
She claims they stopped sending her work requests but I'm skeptical. Terese Nielsen still gets lots of work requests even though she hasn't done anything in a block set in a while.

Angry Grimace

Guay's asking rate is apparently very, very expensive nowadays per Pete Morbacher.
With their new reprint set policy you'll probably see them using old Guay art as long as they can. Hell they had an old unused one in FTV: Angels.

EDIT: Oh shit, I just got a closed beta invite to Eternal (LSV and co's Hearthstone competitor). And I just bought Overwatch. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

clearly you should give it to meeee~

I definitely don't have time for it either

Guay's asking rate is apparently very, very expensive nowadays per Pete Morbacher.

Yeah, I suspect that there are a number of people who are actually priced out of MTG illustration now even with MTG being one of the best-paying gigs for freelance fantasy illustration.

Angry Grimace

I've been in the Eternal beta for a month. I uninstalled it last week

Ether
UR
Instant

Choose one:

* Ether deals 2 damage divided as you choose among one or two target creatures and/or players.
* Tap target permanent. Draw a card.

"That shit that make your soul burn slow."

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
racist whiners writing to maro to complain that the steampunk plane isn't based on a white culture smdh

just saw that question

lol take your Izzet and be happy with it kid

also japanese horror plane sounds fucking awesome. But it probably would be super hard to do based on their standards of western resonance

also japanese horror plane sounds fucking awesome. But it probably would be super hard to do based on their standards of western resonance

You couldn't do it as a top-down block but I think if you had a bottom-up set concept that fit it you could get a lot of mileage out of like... Vampire Hunter D, lol.

You couldn't do it as a top-down block but I think if you had a bottom-up set concept that fit it you could get a lot of mileage out of like... Vampire Hunter D, lol.

Somebody brought up the idea of ghosts as bestow creatures before. You could probably get some cool cursed item, japanese horror flavor going with that. Artificer's Hex-style.

The post in question
subbak asked: Every time you refer to Kaladesh as steampunk, I am saddened because it means we'll never see a real steampunk plane (i.e. one inspired by Victorian England, or at least 19th century Western Europe and U.S). Steampunk with an India-based culture (as seen in the architecture and clothing) makes as much sense as gothic horror in a Japan-based culture. There's a reason Innistrad looks German and not Japanese, why did you not apply the same logic to Kaladesh?

My take away from this question was - ooh, Japanese gothic horror sounds cool.

Part of inventing worlds is putting our spin on them.

1464928248942465j1jlz.png

You could probably have Bestow alongside it in the set as guardian spirits represented by charms or seals. Might be too confusing having mechanics so similar, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom