• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schryver

Well, to give you guys something else to talk about, the planned header image for the Eldritch Moon OT will by default be this:
wx5hJoFRmD.jpg

With the logo and details included, of course. However, I'm also planning on including a bunch of notable moons, since there's a ton of open space. What I have so far:
1. Majora's Mask moon
2. Super Galaxy Dai-Gurren (Gurren Lagann)
3. Space Colony ARK (Sonic Adventure 2)
4. Soul Eater's moon
5. My Little Pony's moon (from first episode)
6. A Trip to the Moon's moon
7. Hatched moon from Doctor Who's "Kill the Moon"
8. Moon with "CHA" etched into it from The Tick
9. Sailor Moon
10. Infinite Tsukuyomi from Naruto
11. Actual notable moons like Titan and Europa.

Any others you guys want?

Bloodborne?

Yeef

Eternal Masters spoilers started on May 23rd and the full spoiler went out 2 weeks before release. Eldritch Moon spoilers start June 20th and, presumably, there will only be two weeks of spoilers, meaning the full list will go live on July 1st; 2 weeks before prerelease.

I'm wondering if the two week gap is the new default or if they plan on going back to the 1 week gap that they've had in the past. The time between the full spoiler and the prerelease is always this awkward vacuum of activity. Making it longer seems like a bad idea.

Hopefully, in this case, it's just because of the 4th of July (and Memorial Day in Eternal Masters' case) and it's not the new normal.

[EDIT]
Well, to give you guys something else to talk about, the planned header image for the Eldritch Moon OT will by default be this:
wx5hJoFRmD.jpg

With the logo and details included, of course. However, I'm also planning on including a bunch of notable moons, since there's a ton of open space. What I have so far:
1. Majora's Mask moon
2. Super Galaxy Dai-Gurren (Gurren Lagann)
3. Space Colony ARK (Sonic Adventure 2)
4. Soul Eater's moon
5. My Little Pony's moon (from first episode)
6. A Trip to the Moon's moon
7. Hatched moon from Doctor Who's "Kill the Moon"
8. Moon with "CHA" etched into it from The Tick
9. Sailor Moon
10. Infinite Tsukuyomi from Naruto
11. Actual notable moons like Titan and Europa.

Any others you guys want?

The-Honeymooners-Ralph-on-the-Moon3.jpg

One of these days, Alice...

OnPoint

sports talk? gross

Not a big fan of sports myself

You know what? I used to feel the same way when I was a teenager. Then I got into sports and realized it's not really any different than following professional Magic and having your favorite decks/players. It's a different application of the same principles.

Ashodin

You know what? I used to feel the same way when I was a teenager. Then I got into sports and realized it's not really any different than following professional Magic and having your favorite decks/players. It's a different application of the same principles.

It is, but I just don't have any invested interest or desire to watch and/or comment on them. The fundamental mechanics of their individual games are fun and interesting to consider, but none of the players/people who are involved either inspire or captivate my attention.

I only follow professional magic because I have the intention of winning tournaments. I don't think the scene is particularly entertaining on its own merits. Watching people play cards isn't very exciting, not like watching Street Fighter or I guess sports if you're into that stuff. I do watch the UFC every once in a while because I played Judo and wrestled in college. I was never willing to get involved in team sports.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";205997397]I only follow professional magic because I have the intention of winning tournaments. I don't think the scene is particularly entertaining on its own merits. Watching people play cards isn't very exciting, not like watching Street Fighter or I guess sports if you're into that stuff. I do watch the UFC every once in a while because I played Judo and wrestled in college. I was never willing to get involved in team sports.[/QUOTE]
Ditto. minus judo and doing wrestling past HS.

OnPoint

It is, but I just don't have any invested interest or desire to watch and/or comment on them. The fundamental mechanics of their individual games are fun and interesting to consider, but none of the players/people who are involved either inspire or captivate my attention.

Right. And that's a fine point of view. I guess my point was to highlight in a roundabout way that you aren't so different from a sports fan and should reconsider your "Sports talk? Gross." attitude, since the reality is you aren't much different.

I totally get that this isn't the thread for lengthy discussion of that topic, but sometimes conversation sometimes naturally spikes out into other topics in here (or in any thread for that matter) however briefly, and dismissive posts like that come off kinda sour.

OnPoint

Yeah as a free box that's sweet. Honestly, even as a paid box he seems like he did well. But that seems like a best case kind of box. Not worth the lottery ticket to me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magic is supposed to be fun.

You are making a mistake if you watch and play to try and win stuff.

I was thinking about fucking around with reanimator deck but I don't want to pull out my Jaces from wherever the fuck they are.

It doesn't help that most reanimator targets kind of suck since Indestructable is basically nothing.

bigkrev

Speaking of mistakes, that G3 of Reitzel vs Nakamura was insane. Nakamura could have stolen time vault with Dack for like 4 turns, and it ended up costing him the game out of nowhere.

Speaking of mistakes, that G3 of Reitzel vs Nakamura was insane. Nakamura could have stolen time vault with Dack for like 4 turns, and it ended up costing him the game out of nowhere.

I had time to make dinner during that match and still see that insane ending, lol.

feelsbadman when Randy realizes he fucked up on a big interaction and we see it all live because he's stuck commentating his own match.

EDIT: and then a different fuck up in game two! Brutal.

ironmang

this turned me completely off drafting so many packs with complete garbage value. Can't bet 40 on getting 1 of these lucky pulls.

Ya I'll draft it once for the experience but $35-40 for a draft is a lot of money. That's like sealed PPTQ territory which is worth a hell of a lot more to me. Just too many shitty rares in EMA and I'm not planning on opening enough to guarantee I get something good.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
My brother just got a MTGO account and has been playing that free innistrad draft thing. He keeps losing to time outs due to all the triggers. Anything he should be doing with regards to yielding and such to cut down on time wasted on permissions?

Do people really watch other people open stuff?

Magic is supposed to be fun.

You are making a mistake if you watch and play to try and win stuff.
I do EV calculations before I even go to the shop.

Round trip travel to my favorite shop in San Fran 14.50
FNM Standard Entry $5
FNM 3-0 prize: 5 packs

So even if I win all my matches I'm actually very behind because of the money I put into my deck and not getting any closer to paying that off. No point in going to the shop. Also, I don't like to go to FNM in general because it's a casual atmosphere and even when I try to be friendly I always feel like I'm making someone feel bad by bringing a competitive deck. Honestly that's as much a reason I don't go to weekly tournaments anymore as all the spikey EV stuff. That said, when it comes to competitive play, EV is as much a part of the puzzle as qualifying is to me.

That said it isn't just a bunch of emotionless calculation when I decide to play magic. The fun in playing magic to me is solving a puzzle, and part of that is trying to win. One of the reasons I like limited so much is because how much the puzzle changes every time I sit down. I can hang out and have fun playing limited all day for basically no value. Constructed I get a little tighter about it because of the initial investment being so high.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206028105]Do people really watch other people open stuff?

FNM Standard Entry $5

So even if I win all my matches I'm actually very behind because of the money I put into my deck and not getting any closer to paying that off. No point in going to the shop. Also, I don't like to go to FNM in general because it's a casual atmosphere and even when I try to be friendly I always feel like I'm making someone feel bad by bringing a competitive deck. Honestly that's as much a reason I don't go to weekly tournaments anymore as all the spikey EV stuff. That said, when it comes to competitive play, EV is as much a part of the puzzle as qualifying is to me.

That said it isn't just a bunch of emotionless calculation when I decide to play magic. The fun in playing magic to me is solving a puzzle, and part of that is trying to win. One of the reasons I like limited so much is because how much the puzzle changes every time I sit down. I can hang out and have fun playing limited all day for basically no value. Constructed I get a little tighter about it because of the initial investment being so high.[/QUOTE]

It's a game, chill out.

It's a game, chill out.

I've actually had people flip out on me at random shops because my deck is all rares or whatever imagined injustice is going on. Frankly FNM style tournaments aren't that fun anymore because of that kind of stuff. I try my best to joke around and stuff but there's too much craziness at casual events.

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206028105]Do people really watch other people open stuff?

FNM Standard Entry $5

That said it isn't just a bunch of emotionless calculation when I decide to play magic. The fun in playing magic to me is solving a puzzle, and part of that is trying to win. One of the reasons I like limited so much is because how much the puzzle changes every time I sit down. I can hang out and have fun playing limited all day for basically no value. Constructed I get a little tighter about it because of the initial investment being so high.[/QUOTE]

This is why I see you so excited for tournaments hahaha

This is why I see you so excited for tournaments hahaha

Well to me, owning a magic deck is basically worthless, I don't have any particular attachment to the cards themselves. When I see a 800 dollar modern deck and first place for a mid level modern event is 400 bucks and there's no modern pro tour and basically no modern GPs, I just think, "What's the point?" Hell, you have to make grand finals at a grand prix just to pay off your legacy deck and get back to where you started and you only get that shot about once a year.

In my mind, if you win less than you put in to compete, you're not competing, you're just shuffling around the investment into your hobby. That's fine, but it's not what I'm looking for. I'm not trying to go pro or earn rent or anything, I just want the feeling that I'm playing for something worth the effort. When I enter a fighting game tournament like NCR or EVO I know I basically have no real shot at winning, but I'm competing for something worth the effort and I'm not just some replaceable cog in a marketing machine.

Prizes in MTG are so bad compared to the investment that it's basically a joke. Whenever I see somebody like William Jensen try to pretend that cost isn't a part of the game I get a little annoyed.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I feel you GB, but as you're paying money for little rectangles of cardboard and then are paying more money for the opportunity to play others who have their own rectangles, you are a cog in the machine.

Not that any of us are any better, mind you, but facts is facts. We all have our justifications for why we do it

Ashodin

I do have connections to cards and I do have a collection I like to maintain. My joy I get is finding combinations that I enjoy playing that are unique and are able to hold water with the best.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206035309]Well to me, owning a magic deck is basically worthless, I don't have any particular attachment to the cards themselves. When I see a 800 dollar modern deck and first place for a mid level modern event is 400 bucks and there's no modern pro tour and basically no modern GPs, I just think, "What's the point?" Hell, you have to make grand finals at a grand prix just to pay off your legacy deck and get back to where you started and you only get that shot about once a year.

In my mind, if you win less than you put in to compete, you're not competing, you're just shuffling around the investment into your hobby. That's fine, but it's not what I'm looking for. I'm not trying to go pro or earn rent or anything, I just want the feeling that I'm playing for something worth the effort. When I enter a fighting game tournament like NCR or EVO I know I basically have no real shot at winning, but I'm competing for something worth the effort and I'm not just some replaceable cog in a marketing machine.

Prizes in MTG are so bad compared to the investment that it's basically a joke. Whenever I see somebody like William Jensen try to pretend that cost isn't a part of the game I get a little annoyed.[/QUOTE]Honestly the way you think about MTG sounds unhealthy

It's not that it's unhealthy, it's a personality trait I've gotten from being an illustrator. I'm always overanalyzing everything and taking the magnifying glass to see what little thing I can twist and make more mine. Everything has to be a puzzle. Even if I say these things and the way it comes out sounds like a drag, thinking about things in this way is also part of my fun.
I feel you GB, but as you're paying money for little rectangles of cardboard and then are paying more money for the opportunity to play others who have their own rectangles, you are a cog in the machine.

Not that any of us are any better, mind you, but facts is facts. We all have our justifications for why we do it

I go back and forth a lot on whether I actually love competitive magic or not. I'm pretty sure that deckbuilding is the only part that I actively enjoy. Sitting in a room and playing, trying to figure out my opponent's hand, whether or not I should be bluffing etc is something I've done so many times now that it just feels like going through the motions. I barely feel any engagement with the actual game of magic. Most of the puzzling is done well ahead of time.

The only thing I'm sure of is that I've grown to hate playing casual magic. I basically never play EDH anymore and when I do I'm always trying to find a way to kill myself or incur wrath so I can leave the group early. It's a little sad because that was something my girlfriend and I really liked playing together for a good while and half of the time I spent back when I was going to LGSs was trading for cards for her EDH decks.

My brother just got a MTGO account and has been playing that free innistrad draft thing. He keeps losing to time outs due to all the triggers. Anything he should be doing with regards to yielding and such to cut down on time wasted on permissions?

He might already know this, but you can right-click on triggers and auto-yield to them. This works for things that are sticking around and going to trigger a few times; something like, "At the beginning of each upkeep..." or "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield..."

I find it important to try and stay super aware of whose priority it is- keep checking the little clock on the left. If it's blue for you, you need to do something. The game will ask questions to you about certain things in various orders depending on the rules. It's easy to think you've passed priority and are waiting for your opponent only to wait for 30 seconds and not realize it has prompted you with a "Use this card's ability? Yes / No" thing.

F2 key allows you to say, "Go." essentially and this can be re-mapped. That said, there will be misclicks, especially if you put it in a really handy spot and get in the habit of pressing it quickly.

F6 is basically skip all shit until the next turn or a decision must be made by you (sac a dude etc.). Handy in the early turms and when tapped out.

Other than that, you really do just need to speed up a bit as a player on MTGO. Easier said than done, of course. But it is interesting how much time can be lost pondering attacks / blocks and whatnot when the clock is literally right there counting you down.

Angry Grimace

There's nothing you can do. MTGO is full of try-hards and you will lose constantly no matter what you do.

(don't press F6 ever)

Bind the "Pass Priority/OK" key to something you can easily access. I use the 0 key on the numpad since it's easy to just whack with my thumb and I don't have to move my hand too far away from my mouse. You'll press that key 8,000 times in one match so being able to do it quickly is the fastest shortcut you'll find. "Yes or No" dialogues are also fairly frequent so I rebound those as well (to 7 and 8 on the numpad). F6 is also a thing but I don't reccommend it as it will almost always lead to despair and regret. Outside of the first couple turns of the game I never use it.

You might also consider taking off some of the stops. A beginner like your brother isn't going to be pulling shenanigans during your opponents upkeep or anything too complex, he can always turn the stops back on as he gets more comfortable with the game.

Son1x

So my brother was ill and he started playing the old shandalar game. After getting the whole playgroup hyped, a few others started playing. Beat the game pretty quickly with mardu and uwr control. It was pretty fun, but its only old cards and AI has some shitty decks. Or so I thought. Yesterday, I updated the game to include cards up to Oath. Its missing quite a few, Delve, Flashback, Kicker, Planeswaklers and manlands to name some but its still fun. Oh yea the AI decks can be updated too.

For anyone that has never heard of it, its kinda like HoM&M with magic cards. You run around visiting towns, ruins and fighting other characters on the map.

You can find the game on abandonware sites or visit the forum dedicated to it and get the updated version there. The sister client Manalink is still used by some for online magic against players. Obviously the cards unavailable in Shandalar can be used here.

lol F6 is fine on the opening turns. But you're right, it should be given respect :)

One of them is way safer, it passes priority until you have the possibility to do something I think? Can't recall it right now. Never use it, though.

To be honest, I only started using F6 recently and only on turns 1-3 or so.

Xis

So my brother was ill and he started playing the old shandalar game. After getting the whole playgroup hyped, a few others started playing. Beat the game pretty quickly with mardu and uwr control. It was pretty fun, but its only old cards and AI has some shitty decks. Or so I thought. Yesterday, I updated the game to include cards up to Oath. Its missing quite a few, Delve, Flashback, Kicker, Planeswaklers and manlands to name some but its still fun. Oh yea the AI decks can be updated too.

I played this back in the day. For a while it was hard to get running on newer PCs; I believe it had an issue where they had intended it to require at least Windows 95, but was bugged so it would run *only* on Windows 95. I still have some printouts I made of all of the cards that were in the game, and which cards (from Alpha->The Darkl) that they had not implemented. I believe I finished the campaign with something B/R, I remember running Erg Raiders.

y2dvd

This is why I love watching Saffron Olive play his budget decks. Every so often, you get those crazy salty players who can't stand losing with their tier 1 decks to a janky deck and go nuts. Shit is hysterical.

Bandini

This is why I love watching Saffron Olive play his budget decks. Every so often, you get those crazy salty players who can't stand losing with their tier 1 decks to a janky deck and go nuts. Shit is hysterical.

If you can't handle losing to dumb shit you should go play chess or something. Too many entitled, immature players out there. I understand feeling frustrated, it happens to everyone, but it's not hard to act like an adult and just concede with a gg.

Sorry for the rant but it's probably the thing I like the least about Magic.

I wish EMA was more fun, one of the shops by me is running $50 win-a-box drafts.

First Place wins a full box of Eternal Masters Booster Packs
2nd Place: 6 Packs
3rd: 4 Packs
4th 2 Packs

That's a really solid deal.

MoxManiac

For anyone that has never heard of it, its kinda like HoM&M with magic cards. You run around visiting towns, ruins and fighting other characters on the map.

You can find the game on abandonware sites or visit the forum dedicated to it and get the updated version there. The sister client Manalink is still used by some for online magic against players. Obviously the cards unavailable in Shandalar can be used here.

Whhhhhhatttt???? People are updating the shandalar game??

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206035309]Well to me, owning a magic deck is basically worthless, I don't have any particular attachment to the cards themselves. When I see a 800 dollar modern deck and first place for a mid level modern event is 400 bucks and there's no modern pro tour and basically no modern GPs, I just think, "What's the point?" Hell, you have to make grand finals at a grand prix just to pay off your legacy deck and get back to where you started and you only get that shot about once a year.

Prizes in MTG are so bad compared to the investment that it's basically a joke. Whenever I see somebody like William Jensen try to pretend that cost isn't a part of the game I get a little annoyed.[/QUOTE]
Maybe you should try and win a PPTQ for a change. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

F6 is bad at times, but when you're playing against a storm player on X-Mage, you do it, go make a sandwich, maybe some tea, come back and he's still not done yet.

Basically, fuck anyone who plays Storm on X-Mage. The guy spent 30+ minutes storming off before he killed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom