• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too would like to hear more about the updates to the Shandalar game.

Magic Story - The Archmage of Goldnight - Arlinn Kord backstory.
* In the past, Arlinn became an archmage of Goldnight, but when her team and an angel were defending a town from devils, the stress and the wounded angel caused her to transform despite all of the Avacyn magic she had.
* She fought off the devils, but then proceeded to attack the angel, which apparently has particularly delicious blood to a werewolf. The other cathars started attacking her, so she killed them.
* Arlinn's mentor realized it was her, which caused her human mind to partially take hold, and she had herself stay still when he swung his blade at her head. She planeswalked right before the blade struck.
* On the plane she went to, she couldn't transform, but she gained the ability to use her human mind as a werewolf.
* Years later, she went back to Innistrad and tried to visit her mentor, but he just calls her a monster.
* In the present, the angels immediately know Avacyn has been killed and go even more crazy. Everyone on the plane can feel a strange emptiness.
* Arlinn, as a werewolf, comes across some cathars fighting an angel, and she notices her mentor is among the group. This causes her to be sloppy and they notice her. They try to fight both her and the angel, which just causes the angel to gain the upper hand.
* Arlinn is eventually able to bring the angel to the ground and kill it.
* Her mentor is about to fall off a cliff, so she reaches her hand out to him, transforming back to her human self. Eventually, he takes hold of her hand. SYMBOLISM.

It was a pretty decent story.

EDIT: This appears to be the only piece of new art:
c4rd4r7_aJHbdn9L23.jpg

EDIT: This appears to be the only piece of new art:
http://media.wizards.com/2016/images/daily/c4rd4r7_aJHbdn9L23.jpg[/ig][/QUOTE]
Devil's Playground FNM promo confirmed?
[quote="Firemind, post: 206082572"]Maybe you should try and win a PPTQ for a change. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)[/QUOTE]

rip

MoxManiac

Been playing the updated shandalar. Got 3 imperious perfects and a bunch of elves pretty early on, basically steamrolling everything. Got Akroma's Memorial in there too, when that thing comes down it's game over.

It's kinda surreal playing this old ass game with newer cards.

y2dvd

My LGS is doing $35 EMA drafts, 2 standard packs per win. Blah, wish it was 1 EMA pack per win. Will probably skip out.

traveler

Not Wario
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206076769]I wish EMA was more fun, one of the shops by me is running $50 win-a-box drafts.

First Place wins a full box of Eternal Masters Booster Packs
2nd Place: 6 Packs
3rd: 4 Packs
4th 2 Packs

That's a really solid deal.[/QUOTE]

Mox is running $50 drafts. First place gets... 4 packs maybe? Or was it 3?

Feel kinda ripped off.

Crocodile

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206076769]I wish EMA was more fun, one of the shops by me is running $50 win-a-box drafts.

First Place wins a full box of Eternal Masters Booster Packs
2nd Place: 6 Packs
3rd: 4 Packs
4th 2 Packs

That's a really solid deal.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit that's an insane deal. I would jump on that if something like that was near me!

Been playing the updated shandalar. Got 3 imperious perfects and a bunch of elves pretty early on, basically steamrolling everything. Got Akroma's Memorial in there too, when that thing comes down it's game over.

It's kinda surreal playing this old ass game with newer cards.

wait wait wait wait

wait
wait

wait

How? Where?

Ashodin

Hi,

Congratulations! You will be receiving a box of Eternal Masters! We will charge your account $257.74 tomorrow, 6/9, and your box will be available for pick-up on Friday, 6/10. Please let us know if you have any questions or if we can help with anything else.

Thanks,

Atomic Empire
yueesssssssss

Also drafting on Saturday

Firemind

winning on turn two just because you win the die roll and have a daze for their one mana removal spell is so goddamn stupid

no wonder invigorate is busted in pauper

ironmang

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206129253]I miss playing reanimator. Turn two was dangerously slow.[/QUOTE]

This is what I'll be playing in Columbus. Probably would play painter if I had access since it seems pretty great right now but I'm not going to put much money into changing decks in a dead format.

ironmang

i thought you had death & taxes

Naw I had maverick for a long time, then aggro loam, then omnitell for like 3 months while dig was legal, now reanimator. Thought about building death & taxes but never did since despite the results it feels reliant on vial to do anything busted.

This is really the first and only legacy tournament I'm planning on going to this year.

ironmang

well as someone who considers reanimator a bye, hope you have some way to answer leyline of the void :p

Echoing Truth and Show and Tell are pretty good answers. First I heard anybody call reanimator a bye lol. It has bad matchups but even against the death & taxes of the world I could still put an inkwell leviathan into play and basically win on the spot.

Firemind

only if you have griselbrand. emrakul is piss easy to answer. don't know why everyone is worked up about emrakul possibly ravaging innistrad. jace and liliana can answer her all by themselves.

traveler

Not Wario
Cancelled the $50 EMA draft. Found another shop nearby doing a Sealed EMA Honolulu PPTQ for $80, with a cut to an EMA swiss for top 8 at $80 instead. Didn't even realize this set was going to be used for any kind of competitive events or qualifiers.

1upsuper

I'm an idiot who bought into the EMA hype so I'm picking up a box on Friday. Pre-ordered it at $240 so it's not a bad price at least. Too bad the set is so bloated. Was really hoping it would turn out more like the first MM in terms of the good:garbage ratio, but it still has plenty of good stuff. Hoping for some good pulls. Also going to a $30 EMA draft on Saturday.

ironmang

I'm an idiot who bought into the EMA hype so I'm picking up a box on Friday. Pre-ordered it at $240 so it's not a bad price at least. Too bad the set is so bloated. Was really hoping it would turn out more like the first MM in terms of the good:garbage ratio, but it still has plenty of good stuff. Hoping for some good pulls. Also going to a $30 EMA draft on Saturday.

Ya it looked good for the first few days of spoilers but by the end it feels like they could have added more. Just too many cards left out for bulk rares or unnecessary rarity upgrades. Even the stuff they left out has no guarantee of showing up in EM2 just like how damnation, canopy, and grove didn't show up in MM2. Eventually they have a goyf situation where they let the price get too out of hand and now they can't print it at anything other than mythic in a $10 pack.

OnPoint

The only card I really want in EMA that I don't have is Mana Crypt. I'll probably just buy a single of it and be done if I really feel like I need it. Looking at the rest of the set, though, I have my playsets of staples like Forces and Wastelands, one or two ofs of cards like Karakas and Top, even some of the cool stuff like Sinkhole I'm covered on. It would always be nice to pull stuff like Natural Order or more of the other cool things I have zero of, but there are so many awful inclusions like Diminishing Returns or Sphinx of the Steel Wind, or Brago, that I shudder at thinking about how bad a low-value box of this set would feel. That's enough to keep me out of the lottery. At $250-ish? I probably should have jumped in. But the prices now are just too high.

I totally understand that you can't blow your entire load on a set like this, so things like Port and Show and Tell didn't make it in, and may next time around. Doesn't help the secondary market from jacking up the price due to the limited availability though, possibly increasing the prices for many of these cards if demand actually goes up. I feel like these Masters sets are a tease just to rile the market up.

It's kind of a weird situation right now. Standard is pretty stagnant, SOI is an unusually high-variance sealed format and EMA is a terrible draft format. So there just isn't a lot going on until eldritch moon.

I do think it's interesting how a solid draft format like SOI can have a poor sealed format. All the build around uncommons and the DFCs can make some pretty huge swings in the quality of sealed pools.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206209477]It's kind of a weird situation right now. Standard is pretty stagnant, SOI is an unusually high-variance sealed format and EMA is a terrible draft format. So there just isn't a lot going on until eldritch moon.

I do think it's interesting how a solid draft format like SOI can have a poor sealed format. All the build around uncommons and the DFCs can make some pretty huge swings in the quality of sealed pools.[/QUOTE]
Sealed gameplay quality was still leagues ahead of BFZ tho.

Joe Molotov

I tried putting an explanation on Reddit for why you should loot in LSV's problem. Apparently I wasted my time. :p

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/4ncbhi/my_response_to_the_looter_problem/

This person doesn't even appear to know how looting works. Congrats on your hard work, divisionbyzero!

The worst case scenario is looting, finding nothing of value (say one of the lands), untapping and drawing for our turn (again something of no value), and the looting again and not finding control magic. All you've done is thrown away an actual answer and found nothing.

Watching Caleb Durward play a Tin Fins deck with sensei's tops and monastery mentors. And here I thought I was just trolling a little bit when I came up with that strategy. Kinda cool.

Bandini

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206239205]Watching Caleb Durward play a Tin Fins deck with sensei's tops and monastery mentors. And here I thought I was just trolling a little bit when I came up with that strategy. Kinda cool.[/QUOTE]

Come join my Vintage Cube GB

It is more like MM than MM2 in terms of garbage, but after seeing MM2 and EMA I think $10 packs are just fundamentally impossible to balance right for this kind of thing. If you charge people $6 a pack it's a lot easier to keep the number of total-bust packs low even if your EV-relative-to-pack-price stays similar.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206209477]
I do think it's interesting how a solid draft format like SOI can have a poor sealed format. All the build around uncommons and the DFCs can make some pretty huge swings in the quality of sealed pools.[/QUOTE]

I think that it's almost normal that a good draft format will be lower-quality in sealed. Almost every good draft format is full of multi-factor synergies that you can draft to build one of several different, unique and interesting decks, which will lead to high variance in pools.

Only Drafted SOI 4 times but I didn't think it was particularly good. I never even encountered a rise from the tides deck or a UR spellslinger deck. Too many westvale abbeys though.

I really only want Sinkholes and Gambles. Watching their price closely :)

Would love it if these dropped below 10.

Would technically prefer the older versions, though, just 'cuz.

Joe Molotov

I'm just buying a playset of Chain Lightning and Price of Progress so I can pretend to be cool and have a Legacy deck when people ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom