• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Interesting to see how EMA flooding the market is affecting prices. Maze of Ith is down to $11 on tcgplayer. Sylvan Library down to $13. Seems like the expected value of EMA packs could drop in the short term?
This stuff shoves down release weekend. It doesn't last. (Thought the price does drop in the medium term.)

traveler

Not Wario
Shoot I could have just bought 3 karakas and a playset of wasteland instead of the box. Should sell now and grab those instead.

Snatched one of these because it looks awesome

30.jpg

How did I not know this existed, Duels had some awesome promos.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Store says 60 US dollars for drafts. Sixty.

The stupid part is that they are like 2 miles from the biggest MTG store in SoCal. Which is doing 35 dollar drafts. I honestly am thinking of dropping my LGS for this. It's fucked.

kirblar

Store says 60 US dollars for drafts. Sixty.

The stupid part is that they are like 2 miles from the biggest MTG store in SoCal. Which is doing 35 dollar drafts. I honestly am thinking of dropping my LGS for this. It's fucked.
Yeah, these draft prices around me are unreal bad. $40 with poop prize support? No thanks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The draft environment doesn't even look fun.

But I think it's a mistake. I spend hundreds or even thousands a year at this store. It shouldn't be worth it to fuck me over for a marginal short term profit.

OnPoint

The draft environment doesn't even look fun.

But I think it's a mistake. I spend hundreds or even thousands a year at this store. It shouldn't be worth it to fuck me over for a marginal short term profit.
I had to switch to another store for a similar reason and I'm happy I did.

MoxManiac

Never thought i'd be able to pick up more Mazes for under $10 apiece, but here we are...

Should have funneled that $50 i spent on packs into singles.

Eudogames in Berkeley is even crazier:

$65 entry, payout in store credit

$65 for 3-0
$48.50 for 2-0-1
$32 for 2-1

Compare that to the $50 win a box I posted before. But Ronin Games in Castro Valley actually cares about their customers. By far the best owner of all the shops I've been to.

1upsuper

Just finished opening my EMA box. It was a hilariously bad box. A quick envelope calculation of the value cards puts it at about $125. Foil Mystical Tutor was the best card I pulled. The other foil rare was Imperious Perfect. Mythics were Necropotence, Balance, and Sneak Attack. I need to go ly dow

Such is life when opening boxes. After my draft tomorrow I'm swearing off this set.

y2dvd

Just finished opening my EMA box. It was a hilariously bad box. A quick envelope calculation of the value cards puts it at about $125. Foil Mystical Tutor was the best card I pulled. The other foil rare was Imperious Perfect. Mythics were Necropotence, Balance, and Sneak Attack. I need to go ly dow

Such is life when opening boxes. After my draft tomorrow I'm swearing off this set.

After the abysmal box opening of MM15 which was around $65, I vowed never to buy a box again.

Jeebus yall's lgs is shitty with those draft prices. WotC is pretty much allowing this with their low prints.

I passed every rare in tonight's drafts. No value and not even limited playable rares. Drafted a sweet BU control deck though, going 2-1 for the night. Lost to a sick UR storms like deck. Let's just say 2 Burning Vengeance vs colors with no enchantment removal = game over man.

OnPoint

I feel for you! That would be me

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You're not supposed to just open all the packs at once. Of course you're not going to get any perceived value out of them. You should be drafting or playing sealed with some trusted, drinking buddies and/or SOs. That way, when you open a Sphinx instead of a Teresse Nielson Force of Will, you have a handy empty glass with which to catch your tears.

Ashodin

my draft is tomorrow that was $25 brehs (get on my level)

Unboxing video is tomorrow, but here's what I got in advance:

Winter Orb (FOIL)
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Control Magic (FOIL)
Sylvan Library
Sinkhole
Maelstrom Wanderer
Enlightened Tutor
Relic of Progenitus (FOIL)
Shardless Agent
Vindicate
Toxic Deluge
Necropotence
Chain Lightning
Regal Force

Everything else is below $5

Supremely happy with Jace (now I have all the Jaces I think), Sylvan Library, foil Winter Orb, Enlightened Tutor, etc

This makes me very happy, I got a lot of stuff for my Commander decks that really supe them up.

1upsuper

You're not supposed to just open all the packs at once. Of course you're not going to get any perceived value out of them. You should be drafting or playing sealed with some trusted, drinking buddies and/or SOs. That way, when you open a Sphinx instead of a Teresse Nielson Force of Will, you have a handy empty glass with which to catch your tears.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Drinking is not my thing and aside from LGS drafts, pack opening is an oddly personal ritual for me. I like to take it slow and go one card at a time. I'd rather not have people opening my cards and rob me of the joy of opening. There's definitely no wrong way to do this, bud.

Ariexv

My local store in Socal is doing all day drafts tomorrow at $35/piece and running as long as they have 8 people willing starting at noon so I'm planning on getting a ton of drafts in! Can't wait to crack some packs.

Card Boy

Banned
Got 2 packets of turds (value wise)

Wall (Token)
Goblin (Token)
Peregrine Drake (Foil)
Peregrine Drake
Glade of Subdual (R)
Ashnod's Altar
Soulcatcher
Shaman of the Pack
Nature's Claim
Mistral Charger (x2)
Kird Ape
Bloodfell Caves
Tragic Slip
Tidal Wave
Yavimaya Enchantress (x2)
Avarax
Prowling Pangolin
Bloodbraid Elf (Foil)
Call the Skybreaker (R)
Brainstorm
Trygon Predator
Rancor
Seismic Stomp
Gravedigger
Deep Analysis
Nature's Claim
Cephalid Sage
Wakedancer
Elite Vanguard
Keldon Marauders

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Drinking is not my thing and aside from LGS drafts, pack opening is an oddly personal ritual for me. I like to take it slow and go one card at a time. I'd rather not have people opening my cards and rob me of the joy of opening. There's definitely no wrong way to do this, bud.

You don't say.

Angry Grimace

Isn't every Force of Will a Terese Nielsen Force of Will

Angry Grimace

I mean technically there's a few judge foils with terrible MTGO art

Angry Grimace

I don't understand why they printed Karakas instead of Rishadan Port anyways. I mean other than the fact they're nominally using Karakas as a "white mythic."

y2dvd

My local store in Socal is doing all day drafts tomorrow at $35/piece and running as long as they have 8 people willing starting at noon so I'm planning on getting a ton of drafts in! Can't wait to crack some packs.

Damn how many cases were they able to get? My lgs is pretty big and they even said they were limited to what they could procure.

hermit7

Going to a sealed event for Ema today. 75 for entry and apparently they are doing a draft for top 8.

Decent enough entry fee (pretty much Msrp and event entry) so I will try it out. Not expecting any good pulls but it could be fun I guess.

Bandini

I drafted last night and actually made a pretty fun BUG Elves deck. Pulled Entomb and Shardless Agent so I'm happy. My wife pulled a Force of Will, I knew she was looking at something good when I saw her face as she opened pack 1, lol.

Watched my brother open a box, about 15 packs in it was looking like a bust with Gamble and Mystical Tutor being his only noteworthy cards. All his foils were commons. He then proceeded to open Necropotence, Karakas, Dack, Heritage Druid, foil Counterspell, and 2 Wastelands.

cuc

I'm really digging Shivam's commentary on the current Magic story. I don't agree with everything he says, but there are some good observations. Some snippets:

On Kaladesh:
Kaladesh is not India. It isn’t Kamigawa either. We’re not gonna have Honden and Myojin and Zubera making things needlessly complicated and impenetrable for the core audience. We will have clockwork and artifacts and other interesting mechanical themes because this is very likely Maro’s next Artifacts Block That Isn’t Mirrodin Because Mirrodin Is Now New Phyrexia.

On "I am Avacyn":
i think that the story gave off a lot of mixed message and tried to hit too many tropes. On one hand, we have the very Miltonian Paradise Lost aspect where Avacyn plays the part of Lucifer rebelling against God, or perhaps more fitting the gothic horror theme of SOI, acting as Frankenstein’s Monster. On the other, we have the idea of a daughter seeking independence from an overly controlling father, wanting to be whatever she wants.
Plus, there’s the whole gnostic aspect of this, with Sorin as the malevolent Demiurge, and Avacyn the Christ sent to pierce through his veil of creation and into the spirit world beyond, but that’s a college term paper i don’t feel like writing.
Anyone else considering the possibility that eldritch moon will feature the resurrection of Jesus in avacyn as she overthrows Sorin?

Like the Messiah vs the Malevolent Creator/demiurge

I think it is exceedingly unlikely for Wizards to make Avacyn come back a second time, as if her only shtick is doing the Jesus resurrection act, especially when Arlinn Kord's story strongly suggests Innistrad will live on without Avacyn. I'm also not detecting any deliberate, unincidental use of Gnostic themes in "I am Avacyn": the moment of clarity Avacyn had indicates her vision of everyone else as monsters to be unambiguously deluded, rather than insight into hidden truths. In short, like everyone, I'm not expecting any subtle storytelling from Magic Story.

It's an intriguing thought nonetheless.

OnPoint

Man I missed Legacy.

I drafted last night and actually made a pretty fun BUG Elves deck. Pulled Entomb and Shardless Agent so I'm happy. My wife pulled a Force of Will, I knew she was looking at something good when I saw her face as she opened pack 1, lol.

Watched my brother open a box, about 15 packs in it was looking like a bust with Gamble and Mystical Tutor being his only noteworthy cards. All his foils were commons. He then proceeded to open Necropotence, Karakas, Dack, Heritage Druid, foil Counterspell, and 2 Wastelands.

Sounds like the box kinda came together, and I'm not really meaning to get you with this, it's more of an overall question, but are people really excited about cracking Necropotence? Like, what format is it good in? It's around a $10 card, so I guess the value isn't bad?

Firemind

I mean, really? Who even wants Necropotence without the iconic Ice Age art? Unless you're some weirdo who collects cards for his Modern frame cube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom