• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
But yeah, last night did not go well. I was completely on tilt the entire draft at the store for how much they were charging for the EMA drafts and just kind of drafted bullshit in the SOI draft. It was a weird 7 man pod and my draft was crap of the highest order with 0 bombs so I just bounced and went to a bar.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hahaha. EMA is silly fun. Got a JTMS, was so excited to finally get to play it in paper. Dropped it all smug like, then promptly got wrecked by a Bloodbraid into Price of Progress. I didn't come close to making my money back on the box, but I still got 12 packs set aside to play with. Even if I don't break even, it's fun to basically get to play Cube draft.

ultron87

I first picked Entomb, never saw Animate Dead, and the best things to reanimate with Victimize were the 5/3 swampcycler or the 4/4 Vigilance spider. Which I did accomplish on Turn 3 one time. Probably would've been better off dumping the reanimate plan entirely. Was enough to get me one round, lol.

That's probably the extent I'll draft it, unless a friend buys a box. Decided not to drive up to GP Columbus because 50 dollar EMA drafts and 20 dollar SoI drafts is blah.

Also I heard some guy talking about how if your booster box has an A in it on the back of the sticker then there is likely a foil mythic in it of some sort. Is there any truth to this to people's knowledge?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man, I don't think I've had this bad of luck ever. I literally cannot beat any opponent.

I know how to play the game and I'm playing GW Tokens, but I lose every match.

MoxManiac

Also I heard some guy talking about how if your booster box has an A in it on the back of the sticker then there is likely a foil mythic in it of some sort. Is there any truth to this to people's knowledge?

This really sounds like urban legend BS to me, but I guess anything is possible.

noquarter

Eh, mine didn't have an A on it but did have a foil mythic. I would say BS on that personally, and would much rather someone start a story about hidden treasures being in the set.

Boxes aren't random, or didn't use to be, after enough data was collected you could map displays.
Dunno if that's still possible.

The machine readable text at the bottom of cards has enabled them to improve their pack and box randomization. Shouldn't be able to map product anymore without a sample size that would be untenable from a financial perspective.

So I played UR eldrazi control last night. Saw a version that splashed for 3 copies of world breaker. It severely hurt the mana of the deck and ended up performing horribly. But the meta at my store is also mixed with enough non-normal decks that marginal meta calls like UR catch losses more than they should. Also 40 minute rounds. So slower decks tend to be pushed out of our play group.

This standard has been going on for a bit too long. Bring on the next set already.

Lucario

That was a weird draft.

Two seven player pods, cross-pod play. I went undefeated up until round 4 and was prepared to split, but the other 3-0s lost their pair downs.

There were seven 2-1s; I was the only 3-0.

I lost my pair down, and somehow we wound up with five 3-1s from 14 players. I'm happy I took second, but I can't imagine the 3-1 who went home with fifth place and one pack was too thrilled.

The machine readable text at the bottom of cards has enabled them to improve their pack and box randomization. Shouldn't be able to map product anymore without a sample size that would be untenable from a financial perspective.

So I played UR eldrazi control last night. Saw a version that splashed for 3 copies of world breaker. It severely hurt the mana of the deck and ended up performing horribly. But the meta at my store is also mixed with enough non-normal decks that marginal meta calls like UR catch losses more than they should. Also 40 minute rounds. So slower decks tend to be pushed out of our play group.

This standard has been going on for a bit too long. Bring on the next set already.

Good to know.

p6oEsLX.jpg

Lost in the finals of a Legacy tournament on Cockatrice with my Reanimator deck. Spent all my good luck in the early rounds. Turn one combo in all except one game(in which I dazed then reanimated my opponent's creatures to win) until the finals against BUG Delver, and my deck didn't come together. Sided in the Dark Confidants which turned out great, but I revealed land 4 flips straight and eventually died to gurmag anglers.

My keep in the final game was

1. Chrome Mox
  2. Brainstorm
  3. Force
  4. Force
  5. Daze
  6. Dark Confidant
  7. Dark Confidant

Which was a little filtering and card draw with force backup. I didn't want to mulligan to an early combo against a daze+force deck, but it is an awkward hand.

ultron87

I really enjoyed the stuff they did for SoI spoilers. A full leak of Moon would be be a bummer. There'd be nothing to talk about for weeks, also!

noquarter

Finished opening my box, not to bad:

Foil FoW
JTMS
Sneak Attack
Vampiric Tutor
Maelstrom Wanderer
Foil Imperious Perfect
Foil Mystical Tutor
2x Regal Force
2x Gamble
Shardless Agent
Foil Chain Lightning
Foil Cabal Therapy

Commons and uncommons were pretty weak though, only one each of most decent ones (Brainstorm, Chain Lightning, Hymn, Daze, Kird Ape)

Was able to get two boxes less than retail ($225 after tax) that I'm holding onto right now. So tempted to open them up.

Draft last night was eh, $40 with crap prize support. Opened up Enlightened Tutor, Heritage Druid and a Foil Sylvan Library (Chrome Mox was the rare in the pack). Got passed an Entomb and an awesome pack for sealed (Isochron Scepter, Brainstorm, Chain Lightning and Raise the Alarm). Tried to go G/W with Elves and some W fliers playing the scepter with some decent Instants. Ended up not having a finisher and just clogging the board up.

Almost decked myself one game (Shelter on Isochron Scepter). Opponent used Deep Analysis when I had 6 cards in my library. Used Sylvan to filter the top three on my draw and had Shelter in my hand and on the Scepter. Was able to get one of my guys protection from opponents two colors and used the elf that pumps to pump up this dude to lethal. Promptly got best the next two games :(

We're nine days away from EMN spoilers starting, leaking stuff now would suck.

Definitely true, but you wouldn't hear me complaining. Fan's dilemma?

I just want this Emrakul thing settled, lol. For example, I love Magic the Amateuring, but they are either playing dumb or just infinitely wrong RE EDM (Spooky Moon). In all of their "speculation", they don't really reference Emrakul. Baffles me, since they are dialed in to the community pretty hard.

Anyway, I do appreciate the build-up. Lookng forward to seeing the conclusion. Spoiled or not :p

y2dvd

Finished opening my box, not to bad:

Foil FoW
JTMS
Sneak Attack
Vampiric Tutor
Maelstrom Wanderer
Foil Imperious Perfect
Foil Mystical Tutor
2x Regal Force
2x Gamble
Shardless Agent
Foil Chain Lightning
Foil Cabal Therapy

Commons and uncommons were pretty weak though, only one each of most decent ones (Brainstorm, Chain Lightning, Hymn, Daze, Kird Ape)

Was able to get two boxes less than retail ($225 after tax) that I'm holding onto right now. So tempted to open them up.

Draft last night was eh, $40 with crap prize support. Opened up Enlightened Tutor, Heritage Druid and a Foil Sylvan Library (Chrome Mox was the rare in the pack). Got passed an Entomb and an awesome pack for sealed (Isochron Scepter, Brainstorm, Chain Lightning and Raise the Alarm). Tried to go G/W with Elves and some W fliers playing the scepter with some decent Instants. Ended up not having a finisher and just clogging the board up.

Almost decked myself one game (Shelter on Isochron Scepter). Opponent used Deep Analysis when I had 6 cards in my library. Used Sylvan to filter the top three on my draw and had Shelter in my hand and on the Scepter. Was able to get one of my guys protection from opponents two colors and used the elf that pumps to pump up this dude to lethal. Promptly got best the next two games :(

You must be modest because your value in everything looks amazing.

$75 sealed pptq EMA next week. Hmm. On one hand, I hate sealed. On another hand, I want to open more EMA packs.

WEGGLES

Just got into MAGIC. My new job is doing a sealed tournament. It's a lot of fun. I went to a lgs for a draft, and they were doing 2. Shadows and EMa. I don't know the EMa cards well enough to justify $45 (cad) for a draft, and no one else signed up for the shadows draft, so I ended up just going home. Kind of a bummer first try at FNM. So it goes.

I'm really digging Shivam's commentary on the current Magic story.

I should poke him to reactivate his old GAF account, lol.

I think it is exceedingly unlikely for Wizards to make Avacyn come back a second time, as if her only shtick is doing the Jesus resurrection act, especially when Arlinn Kord's story strongly suggests Innistrad will live on without Avacyn. I'm also not detecting any deliberate, unincidental use of Gnostic themes in "I am Avacyn": the moment of clarity Avacyn had indicates her vision of everyone else as monsters to be unambiguously deluded, rather than insight into hidden truths. In short, like everyone, I'm not expecting any subtle storytelling from Magic Story.

Yeah, I think Avacyn is toast forever at this point (and the story strongly points to one of the other angels taking her place now anyway.)

In terms of the themes in the story, I think this is one of those issues where the standard imagery is so heavily trodden and so well-used that it leaks in no matter what you're trying to do. To my mind, Sorin is a selfish turd and Avacyn easily the sympathetic one in this story, but the imagery makes the Paradise Lost version show up around the story anyway.

Even if I don't break even, it's fun to basically get to play Cube draft.

Part of the reason I'm such a hardliner about never opening packs without drafting is that at least if you draft a box, you get an afternoon's entertainment plus the actual cash value of the cards, heh.

I guarantee this is 100% bullshit.

I just want this Emrakul thing settled, lol. For example, I love Magic the Amateuring, but they are either playing dumb or just infinitely wrong RE EDM (Spooky Moon). In all of their "speculation", they don't really reference Emrakul. Baffles me, since they are dialed in to the community pretty hard.

I can't find the content you're talking about so can't speak to it specifically but at this point there's a mix of a few really stubborn people refusing to accept reality and a few people trying to act as if it isn't essentially confirmed because they enjoy being contrarian.

noquarter

Just got into MAGIC. My new job is doing a sealed tournament. It's a lot of fun. I went to a lgs for a draft, and they were doing 2. Shadows and EMa. I don't know the EMa cards well enough to justify $45 (cad) for a draft, and no one else signed up for the shadows draft, so I ended up just going home. Kind of a bummer first try at FNM. So it goes.
Make sure you go back. This is the first weekend EMA is out, so most players are giving it a try and playing the lotto. It also has a limited supply, so next weekend there will probably not be any drafts of EMA going, just SoI.

I can't find the content you're talking about so can't speak to it specifically but at this point there's a mix of a few really stubborn people refusing to accept reality and a few people trying to act as if it isn't essentially confirmed because they enjoy being contrarian.

It's just from their podcast, they loosely speculate about what the "thing" is. I'd have to go back and re-listen to be be accurate, but they don't really mention Emrakul.

Just puzzling since I don't think they are being contrarian, as you say. I mean, it's whatever. Not a big deal, just funny :)

hermit7

Did a sealed pptq and a draft of Ema.

Little of value, pulled Dack and an enlightened tutor.

Dude in my pool pulled a foil shardless agent and a mana crypt in the same pack.

Dropped and then pulled a Jace in his next draft pool.

Finally top is a shit card.

ironmang

8-1 at columbus after day 1. Had a ton of ez matches thrown my way so it was a pretty relaxing day despite never playing this format lately. Only lost the mirror and beat david ochoa who is on storm.

traveler

Not Wario
Well, not super thrilled, but not disappointed with my box either:

Force of Will
Shardless Agent x2
Deathrite Shaman
Sinkhole
Chain Lightning x2
(FOIL) Entomb
(FOIL) Green Sun's Zenith
(FOIL) Brainstorm
Vindicate
Enlightened Tutor
Heritage Druid
Mother of Runes

Definitely would have been better just going with straight Karakas and Wasteland buys- underestimated how hard they were going to fall this weekend- but it's a little over EV and that's with some of these cards at their low point. Prices should climb a little in the following weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom