• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haines

Banned
Ramps early, is a legit blocker late. Compared to the ramp creatures we've gotten recently, he's pretty good.

Yeah he needs delerium to be fair but he doesn't really need it til late game so should be fine.

And for 2 mana? Hell yeah.

Tricky part is when to take him in a pack and not some great uncommon.

Firemind

It's very much not a control-only card. It can be, for sure. But not every 6 mana card with the ability to finish games is a control-only card. It fits nicely as a top end for the type of midrange decks Elspeth saw play in.
Midrange is basically synonymous with control nowadays.

bigkrev

CdwobyMUAAAgso8.png

They made the most boring ritual possible- one that is literally impossible for it to be broken in Modern :(

Firemind

I feel like UW or UWB could be on the rebound in this standard. We'll see.
U/W/x decks in the past year have pretty much been midrange decks. No deck can actually durdle with the kind of persistent threats and lack of good permission nowadays. The only deck that came close to a true control deck was Reid Duke's Esper shell with two Ugins and random Awaken cards as win conditions.

ultron87

Sorin had bad art in the last trip to Innnistrad as well. Remember?

57619.jpg

Just par for the course.

That art isn't great, but it is miles better than the new one. LoI at least looks like he's in the place on the card. New one looks like a sticker on top of a random background. And a poorly detailed sticker at that.

OnPoint

U/W/x decks in the past year have pretty much been midrange decks. No deck can actually durdle with the kind of persistent threats and lack of good permission nowadays. The only deck that came close to a true control deck was Reid Duke's Esper shell with two Ugins and random Awaken cards as win conditions.

They've existed but they haven't been a force, or even good. I feel like that's going to change.

absolutely hate what they are doing with the story, but there are some badass cards in this set

Of course they taint that with a rare 2 drop shitty mana dork, but w/e, Sorin is awesome

Haines

Banned
CdwobyMUAAAgso8.png

They made the most boring ritual possible- one that is literally impossible for it to be broken in Modern :(

Is this just garbage in limited? I get delerium. But I don't think I even want delerium in red. And ramping seems silly.in red to me in limited.

I don't find the sorin art as horrible as you guys make it out to be. In a foil I bet it looks pretty cool

pigeon

Banned
Let's put this another way. Sorin's +1 is not too far off from a cantrip Lightning Bolt. That card exists -- it's Ember Shot -- and it's 6R. But Sorin's +1 only hits players and it's a sorcery, so cut it down to like 2R. (Also Ember Shot is probably terrible.) Sorin's ability is also unpreventable, but forget that for now.

Sorin's a 6 mana spell that gives you a free 3 mana spell the turn you cast it, and again every turn thereafter as part of your idle pattern (that is, you don't spend resources to get that 3 mana spell, you actually gain resources).

That's also underestimating the power, because the cost of a cantrip Lightning Bolt is actually 1 card plus mana, so the card advantage generated is 0, and the pricing of card draw is relative to card advantage rather than raw cards drawn. Sorin gives equal cards the moment you play him -- he is a cantrip -- and also gives you a card every turn after that, for card advantage equal to the number of turns he's in play. So another model for Sorin is that he's a cantrip Archivist that occasionally also does a ton of damage.

However, on the downside, I agree that the art is terrible.

4VAJM8z.gif

3kJECwy.jpg

Translation from Reddit:

Abbaye du Val d'orient (Abbey of Eastern Vale ?)
Land
T : Add C to your mana pool
5, T, pay one life : put a 1/1 white and black human cleric token on the battlefield
5, T , sacrifice five creatures : transform and untap ~~
////
Ormendahl, prince des profanes (Ormendhal, prince of profaners ?)
Legendary Creature - Demon
Flying, Haste, Lifelink, Indestructible
9/7
Interesting design, though I'm surprised they didn't go for a Markov Manor card after all.

Cdv9OlWWoAAuTUH.png

Depending entirely on how easily delirium can be utilized, this is either terrible or amazing.
It's true that most of the power is on the delirium side, but I think there's some use to the basic land searching too. You won't use it often, but it's nice to have during times you're low on land.

This is interesting, though I'm not sure where you'd use it in a combo other than Dust Bowl. Of course, it is good in self-milling decks.

en_u6V61QogYW.png

This may well be the new control finisher of choice with Ugin rotating out. Too bad the art is horrendous.
This is really good, even if you're just exposing a 2-mana card instead of Ulamog every turn.

We are in the "Wizards is still trying to figure out how to make mana creatures correctly" era of Magic.

en_hb1Kt84O1V.png

Also, this shouldn't be a goddamn rare.
It's probably a rare for Limited reasons. A mana dork that's actually helpful in the late game could be something they don't want many players to have.

CdwobyMUAAAgso8.png

Glad to see that rituals really are still in red's wheelhouse. This is a way to make a decent one that doesn't help storm that I hadn't considered. It seems like it could be good, due to the lower opportunity cost compared to other rituals. If you have one out on turn 3, that's 5 mana, and if you have two out on turn 4, that's 8 mana.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not too impressed. Seems like it'll just get fucked up hard soon as it enters play since manlands just got a lot more important and it doesn't protect itself that well for how much it costs.

I'm not terribly impressed either. I don't think he helps as much as people are imagining when you are behind, which is what 6 mana Planeswalkers need to do.

Santiako

I wonder if Sorin is better than Chandra for Mardu Control. Chandra sweeps and wins faster, but Sorin also gains you life. Might be not important if the mana can't support 3 color decks though.

Matriox

I wonder if Sorin is better than Chandra for Mardu Control. Chandra sweeps and wins faster, but Sorin also gains you life. Might be not important if the mana can't support 3 color decks though.

With painful Truths and that new black white vindicate I can imagine the lifegain is very relevant.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sorin doesn't seem very good to me. I don't get it...do people just bust a nut over every PW?

I mean, he's technically harder to cast than Elspeth or Chandra and worse than either one because he doesn't really bring you back when you are losing. I don't know. I'm reminded a lot of Garruk, Apex Predator. I just think he's too expensive for what he does. I just feel like the situation he is good in is the same situation that Linvala is good in and Linvala doesn't do anything in constructed.

Matriox

Sorin doesn't seem very good to me. I don't get it...do people just bust a nut over every PW?

I mean, he's technically harder to cast than Elspeth or Chandra and worse than either one because he doesn't really bring you back when you are losing. I don't know. I'm reminded a lot of Garruk, Apex Predator.

I don't think you're wrong.

kirblar

Lay of the Land has been constructed playable before. It might be better than Oath of Nissa in ramp. (actually, it almost certainly is.)

OnPoint

I mean, he's technically harder to cast than Elspeth or Chandra and worse than either one because he doesn't really bring you back when you are losing. I don't know. I'm reminded a lot of Garruk, Apex Predator. I just think he's too expensive for what he does. I just feel like the situation he is good in is the same situation that Linvala is good in and Linvala doesn't do anything in constructed.

Everyone was trashing Jace yesterday. So no, not EVERY planeswalker. Just most of them.

Angry Grimace

Everyone was trashing Jace yesterday. So no, not EVERY planeswalker. Just most of them.

I just don't think his potential to affect the board is significant enough for 6 mana.

Matriox

It allows me to have both Ob Nixilis and jace on the board at the same time, I liked ob nix before so I'm not complaining lol.

Angry Grimace

"You Play To Win The Game" - Ross Merriam takes on the issue of collusion, bribery, and concessions:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/32592_You-Play-To-Win-The-Game.html

e.g. "fuck Eric Froelich" I think its simply hilarious that Ross says that when he asked, the vast majority of pros thought it was fine (for obvious reasons - it gives them a straight up advantage over players not in the "club").

You would think the allegation that pro magic is basically rigged would merit a bigger response, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if the average pro made less money than the average casual tryhard.

ultron87

I thought Efro's article was gross, but I also don't think this is bribery:

Player 1: “Hey, is the (invite, Pro Points, SCG Points) relevant to you at all?”

Player 2: “No.”

Player 1 calls over a judge.

Player 1: “Judge, I would like to ask my opponent to split our prizes, unconditioned on the outcome of our match.”

Player 2: “I agree.”

Player 1: “As a separate matter, would you be willing to concede to me?”

Player 2: “Okay.”

They sign the slip and hand it to the judge, who sanctions these actions.

Later on, Player 1 often pays Player 2 an uneven portion of the split, as a gesture of good will.

It's just valuing stuff differently because one person wants an invite and one person wants a booster box. Like, if players split and one gets the invite the other person definitely should get more of the other prizes.

Haines

Banned
There a new zombie rare. Someone post it up.

It looks good. I think its only limited playable in the blue black zombie control deck but it's good early game BC you can get free zombies and good late game BC he might come in big for a cool 3 mana

El Topo

Diregraf-Coloss 2B
Creature - Zombie Giant
~ enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter for every zombie card in your graveyard.
Whenever you cast a zombie spell, put a black 2/2 zombie token tapped into play.
2/2

ironmang

I thought Efro's article was gross, but I also don't think this is bribery:

It's just valuing stuff differently because one person wants an invite and one person wants a booster box. Like, if players split and one gets the invite the other person definitely should get more of the other prizes.

You definitely cannot ask them to concede to you for a bigger portion of the prize. That's exactly bribery. Ross said the problem is that people are rephrasing the question to not talk about some redistribution of prizes since it's expected for the person conceding to get extra compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom