• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only did the net stop Olivia, Drana, and the Heir, it put his creatures out of languish range too.

Question though. If I kill the stone haven outfitter, and the loss of the +1/+1 results in a second creature that was eqquiped dying, does stone haven grant a draw on the second creature? I'm guessing it's a layers thing.

Ashodin

Not only did the net stop Olivia, Drana, and the Heir, it put his creatures out of languish range too.

Question though. If I kill the stone haven outfitter, and the loss of the +1/+1 results in a second creature that was eqquiped dying, does stone haven grant a draw on the second creature? I'm guessing it's a layers thing.

I think I might have made a mistake and I shouldn't have gotten the second card yeah.

I'm looking at Ojutai Exemplars for this deck. Seems strong as fuck.

27.jpg

1: Can tap a creature for Nahiri exile shenanigans
2: Can, with Odric, make the entire team Lifelink and First strike, which can be gross
3: can save itself!

Ashodin

He's contending with Gideon and Nahiri though, Gideon who can give your team indestructibility. Even before that I'd go with

For evasion and being able to crack equipment to finish the opponent off.

mm. Can give the team flying and can crack equipment. Interesting. Dies to languish tho

Exemplars can get better in multiples too. Tap a dude, give team LL/FS

Yeah I decided to take out Hope Against Hope, I think it fits better into GW Humans than this (and is the last vestige of the other equipment, stoneforge masterwork/et al) and put in Always Watching. I don't particularly need the tokens to be +1/+1, but I would like my stone havens and such to survive, especially when they get bigger with equips. Giant Panda kept fiery tempering my homies

I rarely even use Nahiri's ultimate, if at all. Her +2 is so good even if you have to discard first, while her -2 is just so versatile. I literally pitched away cards that were sitting useless in my hand (SB'd in Roast but flyers were out) and gained utility. Her ultimate obv calls Emrakul (or Marit Lololol) up but I'm curious about if there's any unique Equips in EDM that will be worth searching for that could be game ending.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Pretty spicy deck from reddit:

Brutally fast but also very easy to sideboard against. Exile effects (or Clip Wings) take care of Ormendahl and Languish is very hard to come back from. On the plus side, turn four Ormendahl is hard for a lot of decks to deal with and the deck goes wide very quickly, a single Nissa -2 can win you the game. It's pretty fun and more consistent than it looks but I feel overall that most of the BW archetypes are still better.

This deck is pretty brutal and Nissa is busted as fuck in it. It kind of gets eaten by Flaying Tendrils though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Seems like even without the additional slots required for promotional cards they've crept back up to where they were. Looking back on it the Alara sets are crazy small

mr334_hd4mlsw2.gif

kirblar

Seems like even without the additional slots required for promotional cards they've crept back up to where they were. Looking back on it the Alara sets are crazy small

mr334_hd4mlsw2.gif
The newer small sets were only bigger at the Uncommon level when they went +20 to all sets.

Innistrad and SoI are bigger, but in a way that makes cards cheaper.

Yeef

mr334_hd4mlsw2.gif
Keep in mind, when SOI hits there will be 4 large sets in Standard, when normally there will only be 3. Using BFZ and OGW set sizes, Standard will always be between 1130 and 1314 cards, excluding basic lands and not accounting for reprints. That's about 876 cards per year, which is close to the Lorwyn Shadowmoor year. That makes sense given the new block structure.

G.ZZZ

I've been trying to make nahiri work in legacy, but she's a bit tricky cause her ultimate would like you to play monsters, but slow decks can't run a RW card becaues they need the manabase to make lot of mana and that's usually colorless (dynamo, posts, tombs etc...)

After a TONS of scrapped list, i think i'm finally on a good track now that i'm running her in a moon deck with a singleton emrakul (that it can be discarded anyway and shuffle back), but there's 3-4 spots which i'm still a bit torn about.

The list:

Code:
4 Blood Moon
4 Chalice of the Void

1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
2 Imperial Recruiter
4 Magus of the Moon
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Batterskull
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Nahiri, the Harbinger
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

3 Boros Signet
4 Plains
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
2 Plateau
4 Arid Mesa
4 Cavern of Souls

8 sol lands + 4 spirit guides for maximum fast chalices and 8 maindeck moons. That as well as the possibility to play uncounterable thalia T1 should kill any unfair deck , and gain time against most fair decks. Time to get up either batterskulls and other equipment, or to tick nahiri up for emrakul. Boros signets are there to give us additional t1 plays with sol lands (also traitors->signet T2 blood moon is still pretty good and don't destroy your city) and the ability to cast things under blood moon in case you didn't have a plain or fetch in starting hand. The small minion are extremely important to make emrakul lethal with their initial damage, so don't forget any small attack.

The sb is the usual things, Path to exile/dismember/declaration in stone for eldrazis, rest in peace and needles for lands/miracle, a manriki gusari for blade decks, then something flexible depending on the common meta.

Haines

Banned
Cwd0NSS.jpg

Played some more soi tonight with the wifey. She played UB zombies while I played WG humans/clues

That 1/5 blue flier is always impressing us. New vampire envoy of the set.

That 6/6 green kessig is annoying when you don't have delirium and to be honest I kind of wonder if auras are more enticing that equipment BC they at least fuel delirium and would have gave me trample to help close out the game.

Also, puncturing light is reaaally good. So don't blow it on anything. Cuz it kills most things so don't be afraid to hold off the tempo play with it.

Clues always felt good. Drawing always feels great in limited.

The 1/3 skulk lifelink is also like a worse vampire envoy.

Don't be afraid to have a 1 attack minion to prevent skulkers.

Hmm..what else...oh I learned madness plays off of discard don't happen til the first card is done resolving even if the discard is halfway through the txt. Makes sense but something I was doing wrong before. Not sure if it would effect plays, probably knowing this game.

Ashodin

Hmm..what else...oh I learned madness plays off of discard don't happen til the first card is done resolving even if the discard is halfway through the txt. Makes sense but something I was doing wrong before. Not sure if it would effect plays, probably knowing this game.

Which card are you referring to here, Haines?

By default large sets are 269 and small sets are 180 now, which adds up to 898 cards per year (more like 858 when you filter out basic lands.) The set sizes are larger than Alara era (which frankly was too small, for both sizes of set) and closest to what we got in the Mirrodin era, which to my mind was pretty close to right.

traveler

Not Wario
Trying a BR Dragon variant with Olivia, Fiery Temper, and Sin Prodder in it now. Feels pretty decent but need to lower the curve somehow.

Does Goblin DD interact with Olivia in the way I think it does?

Basically, GDD enters the battlefield triggering both itself and Olivia. Does it need a target immediately for the trigger to even get placed on the stack or can I stack its trigger first, then use Olivia's to pitch a target for it to hit to the gyard?

Haines

Banned
Which card are you referring to here, Haines?

Well for instance here's a card.

insolentneonate.jpg

I assumed at the discard you discard the card to exile. In which you would do the madness trigger before finishing the cards ability.

But I believe you would do the entire process and when the ability is done, it's SACD and you drew your card you continue on to then do your madness trigger from exile? Unless I'm still not understanding correctly.

Another card is

poreoverthepages.jpg

Ashodin

Well for instance

Immediately when you discard a madness card, it goes into exile, then you choose to cast it for its mana or put it into the graveyard. Then when you cast it, it'll go onto the stack above whatever you just did (Like the Neonate), it'll resolve, then you'll draw a card. If discarding is part of a spell, you have to resolve the spell first before using madness cards UNLESS it says "as an additional cost."

An example is if Pore Over the Pages was worded this way:

As an additional cost to cast Pore Over the Pages, discard a card.

Draw three cards, then untap up to two lands.

This would allow you to cast a madness card before Pore Over the Pages even resolves, letting you put the madness card last on the stack.

Haines

Banned
OK now I completely understand. I read someone explain the pore over pages play with madness and didn't quite connect the dots that the wording is very different. Just assumed I was doing it wrong on other cards.

So madness goes on stack and resolves before because it's on top meaning it happens in order of top down when people talk about the stack

Oh something else I thought of as a tip.

Don't forget the 2 spell flip wearwolfs. Maybe it's just cuz I'm new to them but I always forget that rule when playing

Ashodin

OK now I completely understand. I read someone explain the pore over pages play with madness and didn't quite connect the dots that the wording is very different. Just assumed I was doing it wrong on other cards.

So madness goes on stack and resolves before because it's on top meaning it happens in order of top down when people talk about the stack

Oh something else I thought of as a tip.

Don't forget the 2 spell flip wearwolfs. Maybe it's just cuz I'm new to them but I always forget that rule when playing

LRR was having trouble remembering as well. It'll do you well to remember if you don't play anything on your turn, it'll flip on theirs. Two spells by one single player have to be cast for them to flip back. If you cast a spell and an opponent does, your werewolf stays transformed.

Haines

Banned
Yeah which makes some ability type cards great BC you can still do something and get yours to flip.

I'm def going to prioritize more lower drops at prerelease so I don't get trounced by them. Normally I play sealed fairly greedy on the curve.

I will probably watch that despite being sick of oath.

Ooccoo

Here's my RDW decklist

20 Mountains

4 Falkenrath Gorger
4 Geier Reach Bandit
4 Lightning Berserker
3 Zurgo Bellstriker
2 Goldnight Castigator
4 Village Messenger

1 Burn from Within
4 Rush of Adrenaline
4 Titan's Strength
4 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Skin Invasion
2 Fiery Impulse

Sideboard
3 Rending Volley
3 Roast
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
???

Yeef

Trying a BR Dragon variant with Olivia, Fiery Temper, and Sin Prodder in it now. Feels pretty decent but need to lower the curve somehow.

Does Goblin DD interact with Olivia in the way I think it does?

Basically, GDD enters the battlefield triggering both itself and Olivia. Does it need a target immediately for the trigger to even get placed on the stack or can I stack its trigger first, then use Olivia's to pitch a target for it to hit to the gyard?
No. Targets are selected as soon as the ability hits the stack, so you'll have to already have a target in the graveyard; you can't target the card you pitch to Olivia. In or for that to work, Olivia's ability would need to be a replacement effect rather than a triggered ability.

Well for instance here's a card.

insolentneonate.jpg

I assumed at the discard you discard the card to exile. In which you would do the madness trigger before finishing the cards ability.

But I believe you would do the entire process and when the ability is done, it's SACD and you drew your card you continue on to then do your madness trigger from exile? Unless I'm still not understanding correctly.

Another card is

poreoverthepages.jpg
Paying a cost doesn't use the stack. Anything paying that cost triggers will wait until players would receive priority before it goes on the stack. Because of that, it'll resolve before whatever spell or ability you were paying the cost for.

On Neonate, discarding the card is part of the cost, so the madness trigger will on on the stack above the card draw and resolve first. While on Pore Over the Pages or Jace, Vryn's Prodigy's ability, discarding the card is part of the ability, not the cost. Once a spells or ability starts resolving, it must resolve completely before anything else can happen.

For clarity's sake, a similar, non-madness interaction, as an example: if you sacrifice a Blisterpod to Altar's Reap, you'll get the scion before you draw the two cards.

Ashodin

Just realized how fucking awesome Silkwrap is in new standard. Literally only 8 cards that can kill enchantments. Goodbye Drana!

Ashodin

I count 11.

After SOI rotates in? I count 8 (that destroy)

There's exile effects as well, so it's more than that for sure. Of the exile effects I expect to see play, I count Nahiri, Anguished Unmaking, Ulamog (lol) and World Breaker.

Yeef

Most of these won't see play, obviously, but here's the list; I didn't account for things that just target "permanents" the first time:
  1. Caustic Caterpillar
  2. Natural State*
  3. Ainok Survivalist*
  4. Dromoka's Command*
  5. Enlightened Ascetic
  6. Felidar Cub*
  7. Naturalize*
  8. Fate Forgotten
  9. Isolation Zone
  10. Reclaiming Vines
  11. Conclave Naturalists
  12. World Breaker
  13. Quarantine Field
  14. Void Squall
  15. Scour From Existence
  16. Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
  17. Angelic Purge
  18. Root Out
  19. Nahiri, the Harbinger*
  20. Anguished Unmaking*

The starred ones are the ones I'd expect to actually see play (even if only int he board) and be relevant to dealing with a Silk Wrap.

Ashodin

yeah the sac enchantment thing is interesting.

Silkwrap is in my board anyway, not main.

Nahiri is worth the price. She's legit as fuck.

I spent a little bit of time poking through RoboRosewater just now. I'm doubling down on this - I want to play a RoboRosewater cube. I wonder if it would be possible to build a Cockatrice or XMage pack with RoboRosewater cards in it and draft it like a cube.

Some of the RoboRosewater stuff is getting to be extremely good.

Like this is actually a playable sideboard card for this set:
CcPu04JUEAAGR_v.jpg

A RoboRosewater cube would be a very fun thing to do.

Edit: Path of Bone is also super powerful and extremely good, albeit off-color.

So Frading Strexant reads: "Put a Coin artifact token into target player's hand. It costs 0 and has 'Sacrifice this: Add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool.'" I can get behind that.

bigkrev

Just had my interview with Starcitygames. I got tripped up on 2 of the test questions- I didn't realize that some Portal cards had printings with reminder text explaining keywords and printings without the reminder text, and I had no idea what the Modern Event Deck symbol was on a copy of Lingering Souls :(

OnPoint

Just had my interview with Starcitygames. I got tripped up on 2 of the test questions- I didn't realize that some Portal cards had printings with reminder text explaining keywords and printings without the reminder text, and I had no idea what the Modern Event Deck symbol was on a copy of Lingering Souls :(

Hm. Can you provide the wording or delivery of the questions? Also, what else did they ask?

y2dvd

Play tested my UW Mill deck vs Mono Red Eldrazi and it got stomped. Feels bad brewing a deck you had high hopes for, only to have it get totally crushed lol.

To no one surprise, Startled Awake was a little too slow for the onslaught. Since most of their deck is colorless, Tutelage rarely ever got to mill more than the initial 2 when drawing a card.

Forgotten Creation is tricky. Often, you kept your hand because those are cards you wanted, so it's counter intuitive to discard them all right away. Plus, it gets killed pretty easily.

Gonna test the UR version next. The upside is I can play more spells at instant speed, which makes a huge difference vs decks with Haste. Hoepfully, it fares better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom