• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Not sure if this is the right place to ask it, but what's a good starter set to get if I wanted to play some games with my girlfriend? I'd think that one of those preset vs sets would be best, right?

With my next shipment of cards I'll have all the Sarkhans and Dragon PWs for the Scion of the Ur Dragon EDH deck. You don't need all Sarkhans and Nicol Bolas PW but it's about Flavour. With the newly acquired fetches it's gonna be much easier to build even.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask it, but what's a good starter set to get if I wanted to play some games with my girlfriend? I'd think that one of those preset vs sets would be best, right?

if you can still get a Magic Origins Clash Pack there's some real value cards in those. It's 2 decks you can combine to one.

MrDoctor

Buying about six boosters for both of you is generally the best option. You get a large pool of cards for constructing your own decks that can be changed between games to keep it interesting. For something a bit cheaper I'd wait until the upcoming Deck Builder's Toolkit is out in a few weeks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well for instance here's a card.

insolentneonate.jpg

I assumed at the discard you discard the card to exile. In which you would do the madness trigger before finishing the cards ability.

But I believe you would do the entire process and when the ability is done, it's SACD and you drew your card you continue on to then do your madness trigger from exile? Unless I'm still not understanding correctly.

Another card is

poreoverthepages.jpg

You can't interrupt something from resolving, no. It's why Jace, Vryn's Prodigy doesn't flip if you discard what would be a 5th card and its a madness card. The flip is part of Jace's tap ability and finishes resolving while the discarded card's Madness ability is still waiting to go on the stack.

mjc

Buying about six boosters for both of you is generally the best option. You get a large pool of cards for constructing your own decks that can be changed between games to keep it interesting. For something a bit cheaper I'd wait until the upcoming Deck Builder's Toolkit is out in a few weeks.

Are you referring to the Innistrad builder toolkit?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh god the Magic Story Uncharted Realms is ridiculous this week

For starting out and wanting to play right away, just get some Intro Packs. If you want a large pool of cards, get a Deck Builder's Toolkit. Generally, just buying booster packs is a bad deal, especially since you won't get the necessary lands.

Magic Story - The Mystery of Markov Manor - Jace goes to the already-destroyed manor, where psychic residue confuses the hell out of him, giving him false memories and leading him to sheer drops and such. He finds Tamiyo's Journal, which she had given to some random guy, who decided to go to Markov Manor for some reason and was killed. He decides to keep investigating the journal and leaves.

It was odd how the story started out third-person then switched to first-person a bit into it for no apparent reason. I guess it was to intentionally keep the reader off balance, but it just came off as sloppy.

jph139

Dead Human Guy is Jenrik! He was in a few flavor texts palling around with Tamiyo this block.

RIP Jenrik, you were someone who I remembered the name of.

You can't interrupt something from resolving, no. It's why Jace, Vryn's Prodigy doesn't flip if you discard what would be a 5th card and its a madness card. The flip is part of Jace's tap ability and finishes resolving while the discarded card's Madness ability is still waiting to go on the stack.

Well, it would still flip if you don't want to pay the Madness cost of the discarded card, since part of Madness is a static ability and not a triggered ability. Static abilities don't use the stack.

702.34a Madness is a keyword that represents two abilities. The first is a static ability that functions while the card with madness is in a player’s hand. The second is a triggered ability that functions when the first ability is applied. “Madness [cost]” means “If a player would discard this card, that player discards it, but may exile it instead of putting it into his or her graveyard” and “When this card is exiled this way, its owner may cast it by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost. If that player doesn’t, he or she puts this card into his or her graveyard.”

Firemind

With my next shipment of cards I'll have all the Sarkhans and Dragon PWs for the Scion of the Ur Dragon EDH deck. You don't need all Sarkhans and Nicol Bolas PW but it's about Flavour. With the newly acquired fetches it's gonna be much easier to build even.
Nicol Bolas in a five colour deck is just so wrong.

Angry Grimace

Well, it would still flip if you don't want to pay the Madness cost of the discarded card, since part of Madness is a static ability and not a triggered ability. Static abilities don't use the stack.
The rules for Madness changed. It uses the stack.

Dead Human Guy is Jenrik! He was in a few flavor texts palling around with Tamiyo this block.

RIP Jenrik, you were someone who I remembered the name of.

I saw him on the flavor text of one of the Clue tokens when I was poking around trying to figure out the puzzle (which somebody managed to guess the solution to before the community actually knew how to solve it, which muddied the waters since I figured the guessed solution couldn't be the real one).

Angry Grimace

I looked it up and you're right. It was mentioned in an article but they haven't updated the comprehensive rules yet.
Why would they make a change like that? Just to mess with people using Jace?

Madness's actual discard function is a triggered ability that uses the stack and the rules change is that you do not have any option but to discard a card with that static ability into exile, putting a triggered Madness ability onto the stack, even if you don't want to cast the spell. You don't choose whether to cast the spell or not until you respond to the triggered ability, which doesn't occur until after Jace's ability finishes resolving.

The reason for the change is because Madness almost literally didn't work under the rules before. The reason they changed it to always go to exile is to make the Madness process always be the same.

Angry Grimace

then what was conflux.

previously you could play a land before paying madness costs.

That was way before the rules changes in Time Spiral though. In Odyssey, Madness didn't even really work - I mean, it did, but it was random. When you chose to discard a spell into the MADNESS ZONE you could play it until you lost priority. This meant that on turn 4 with three land out and no fourth land drop, you could play Careful Study (Sorcery, Mana cost: U, "Draw two cards, then discard two cards"), draw a land and an Arrogant Wurm, discard the Arrogant Wurm and something else to the MADNESS ZONE, play the land, cast Arrogant Wurm for 2G Madness cost.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Oh god the Magic Story Uncharted Realms is ridiculous this week

Ugh, the tense swapping and first-person switch is....not well done, lol.

But if you thought Emrakul wasn't obvious before....

Though I'm curious if she corrupted Nahiri into betraying Sorin, or Nahiri's luring her here as part of her 'fuck you' to Sorin for whatever bad-blood-inducing incident-that's-yet-to-be-referenced.

Angry Grimace

My guesses:

1) Nahiri realizes in her travels to find Sorin/Ugin that Ugin and Sorin knew that the Eldrazi could never be permanently sealed and therefore tricked Nahiri into believing they should seal them on Zendikar because she wouldn't have agreed to the assured destruction of her homeworld if she knew about that.

2) Ugin and Sorin had something to do with the Eldrazi's existence, which pissed her off - recall that in Sorin's chapter in Dragons of Tarkir, Sorin went to the Haven of the Spirit Dragon and his first thought was that Nahiri had beaten him to Tarkir and killed Ugin.

3) We also don't really know whether Nahiri was aware that Sorin/Ugin lured the Eldrazi there; its possible they may have simply told her they were drawn to it naturally even though in reality they lured them there.

Yeef

I looked it up and you're right. It was mentioned in an article but they haven't updated the comprehensive rules yet.
Why would they make a change like that? Just to mess with people using Jace?

Madness's actual discard function is a triggered ability that uses the stack and the rules change is that you do not have any option but to discard a card with that static ability into exile, putting a triggered Madness ability onto the stack, even if you don't want to cast the spell. You don't choose whether to cast the spell or not until you respond to the triggered ability, which doesn't occur until after Jace's ability finishes resolving.

The reason for the change is because Madness almost literally didn't work under the rules before. The reason they changed it to always go to exile is to make the Madness process always be the same.
The current rules for madness (pre-SOI) work fine. I suspect the real reason for the change is to reduce clicks in MTGO and Magic Duels.

My guesses:

1) Nahiri realizes in her travels to find Sorin/Ugin that Ugin and Sorin knew that the Eldrazi could never be permanently sealed and therefore tricked Nahiri into believing they should seal them on Zendikar because she wouldn't have agreed to the assured destruction of her homeworld if she knew about that.

2) Ugin and Sorin had something to do with the Eldrazi's existence, which pissed her off - recall that in Sorin's chapter in Dragons of Tarkir, Sorin went to the Haven of the Spirit Dragon and his first thought was that Nahiri had beaten him to Tarkir and killed Ugin.

3) We also don't really know whether Nahiri was aware that Sorin/Ugin lured the Eldrazi there; its possible they may have simply told her they were drawn to it naturally even though in reality they lured them there.
I still think it's going to have something to do with Sorin bringing vampirism to Zendikar.

There are a few cards in Magic that I don't think really "work" when held up to rules scrutiny. Sylvan Library notoriously doesn't play well with tournament rules, Selvala is a gigantic headache if you try to activate her during the process of casting a spell and don't get enough mana out of her, and I'm not sure that Panglacial Wurm actually works at all.

Battle for zendikar event deck. Has a few cards rotating out of standard but it x2 pays for itself and is by far the best pre construct in years.

bigkrev

There are a few cards in Magic that I don't think really "work" when held up to rules scrutiny. Sylvan Library notoriously doesn't play well with tournament rules, Selvala is a gigantic headache if you try to activate her during the process of casting a spell and don't get enough mana out of her, and I'm not sure that Panglacial Wurm actually works at all.

Yeah. Have a hand of 5 cards, Cast Brainstorm in your upkeep, and then activate Sylvan. I don't think there is an actual way to properly resolve this unless a Judge was watching the entire sequence

I love the formatting on Ring of Maruf

From outside the game!

There's more that do that for instance

Yeah. Have a hand of 5 cards, Cast Brainstorm in your upkeep, and then activate Sylvan. I don't think there is an actual way to properly resolve this unless a Judge was watching the entire sequence

wait so could you choose the top 2 cards of your library but the opponent couldn't know that damn that's a headache

ultron87

I think the current ruling when playing in paper is you have to keep the cards you drew off Brainstorm separate if you want those to be cards you can put back with Sylvan. If you shuffle them into your hand you just can't put those back anymore.

Angry Grimace

There's more that do that for instance

wait so could you choose the top 2 cards of your library but the opponent couldn't know that damn that's a headache

Fun fact: part of the reason the Exile zone exists is because technically, the "Removed From Game" zone meant that you could get cards "removed from game" since they were "not in the game."

Ashodin

Wizards sent me back my expedition fixed woo hoo! Can't open it until later, so I'll give pics.

We also sent some messed up cards from the Duel Decks: Blessed vs. Cursed we bought.

Haines

Banned
Got into a pretty big board stall this aft in soi

ZnrsLnV.jpg

But they are premade decks so I don't mean to suggest the format is slow

We def hada few fast games

The current rules for madness (pre-SOI) work fine. I suspect the real reason for the change is to reduce clicks in MTGO and Magic Duels.

The previous rules for madness (right before SOI) worked fine but were needlessly clunky. The old rules for madness (pre-TSP) were ghastly.

Or the five other wishes. Are you still allowed to wish for something in exile or did they change that?

As soon as exile got a name it stopped being outside the game.

Haines

Banned
Holy smokes this thread slowed down.

Played soi limited for a good 3 hours tonight with my brother.

Always felt like we were trading creatures no matter what decks we played with so I guess the set does for sure feel faster than oath.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's slow enough to play delirium activators because I'm noticing when I have a creature that needs delirium and u don't have it a window of me being able to break through the game is closed. I really think delirium is something you can't just ignore and hope to have a strong deck.

Oh and fliers always feel good but a lot of spells are balanced enough to deal with them.

Yeef

Delirium feels like a constructed mechanic rather than a limited mechanic.
It's both. In limited it's something you have to move toward; you can't just hope you luck into it. It seems to be the BG draft archetype, as far as I can tell.

Haines

Banned
Delirium feels like a constructed mechanic rather than a limited mechanic.

Right. But when you don't play that card that would have gave you delirium and you have even 1 guy on the field that would be so much better with delirium....

It stings looking at your graveyard and not seeing it turned on.

Your hill giant is rarely going to be aggressive in a format with so many good 2-4 drops.

There are too many good cards that aren't instants and creatures to ignore activating it. Now maybe the delirium decks don't work because they get run over, I'm not sure but in my experience so far I would say you are going to pick that good delirium card over the shitty 3 drop that just dies for free everytime.

I guess the best way to put it is chasing delirium feels like it goes against anything a good limited player knows (don't play enchantments etc) but the team at wizards also know this and they did a hell of an amazing job balancing this set as far as I can tell from playing it so far.

Angry Grimace

The only thing I'll say is that every single test I've run suggests there's a goddamn lot of people (including myself) playing Mindwrack Demon.

Angry Grimace

I mean that Josh Silvestri guy on CFB is yanking his chain over Westvale Abbey instead but I'm not seeing it. You have to have 5 dudes out and there's 3 different ways to wrath on Turn 3. Yes, you can totally Secure X=5 and then swing with Ormendahl. You have to have 6 mana to do it and hope your opponent isn't playing Anguished Unmaking or Stasis Snare or To the Slaughter.

I guess I just don't like the idea of continually playing into strategies that fold to Languish.

Ashodin

The only thing I'll say is that every single test I've run suggests there's a goddamn lot of people (including myself) playing Mindwrack Demon.

They did a real good job putting it into a duel deck

I mean that Josh Silvestri guy on CFB is yanking his chain over Westvale Abbey instead but I'm not seeing it. You have to have 5 dudes out and there's 3 different ways to wrath on Turn 3. Yes, you can totally Secure X=5 and then swing with Ormendahl. You have to have 6 mana to do it and hope your opponent isn't playing Anguished Unmaking or Stasis Snare or To the Slaughter.

I guess I just don't like the idea of continually playing into strategies that fold to Languish.

Eerie Interlude is like, right there

traveler

Not Wario
Or cocos into a reflector. Or just takes the hit and plays a reflector after you've sacc'd your board. Or throws an indestructible Avacyn in front of it and then bounces it with reflector mage.

Maybe running all these test decks through Bant CoCo first has skewed my perspective, but I really don't like things that are terrible against Reflector Mage.

Silvestri put four Goldnight Castigator in a midrange superfreinds deck with painlands. I don't bother taking his or most of the trash CFB churns out on a daily basis to be worthwhile. His and Efro's articles are the epitome of hacky garbage content made just to continually get content on the CFB page and to earn themselves some steady cash.

Despite having said that. I think Abbey is the real deal. There's virtually no cost to put it in a deck. If they did bounce it, then what? You have to replay a land?

Depends on the deck. In builds centered around Ormendahl, getting him bounced or exiled is pretty damn hard to come back from. However he's a 2x in my BW token/control deck and turning him sideways even once usually seals the game, an 18 point life swing is no joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom