• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Here's a bigger version of that Nahiri piece from earlier you guys all hated :p

tumblr_o41ez8nwfz1txw5huo1_1280.jpg

The artist is Aleksi Briclot

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Need to submit that to the "movie poster guy" from Reddit because that looks like a Hollywood poster.

Like I don't hate the art that much I just hate how the background is an explosion that Nahiri is too cool to look at.

I mean, you get the option of either, but I guess it just doesn't seem like a specifically good build-around interaction the way something like Thopter Spy Network or even Whirler Rogue does (since tapping the artifacts is completely meaningless with Whirler Rogue)

That's fair. I wasn't sure what kind of shell SaffronOlive was talking about, I just know that in some cases, you'd rather just have guaranteed damage for reach purposes, then hoping you draw into something relevant. Similar reasoning to why Browbeat isn't that good of a card.

Nikodemos

Need to submit that to the "movie poster guy" from Reddit because that looks like a Hollywood poster.

Like I don't hate the art that much I just hate how the background is an explosion that Nahiri is too cool to look at.
Small nitpick: that's not an explosion, but her(?) planar rift spell.

Yeef

Serious question:

SaffronOlive says "Pia and Kiran Nalaar seem nuts with Clue tokens, which provide ample fuel for the "sacrifice an artifact: deal two damage" ability. The best part of Pia and Kiran Nalaar is the pair is playable even without help."

Why would you want to pay 150% of the mana to do 2 damage over drawing a card?
To kill creatures and clear the way for attackers.Even the threat of activation can potentially get through. If I attack with my 3/5 into your 3/5 you're probably not going to block, assuming you want to keep your creature.

More importantly though, we haven't really seen any pushed investigate cards. Bygone Bishop and Tamiyo's Journal come closest, but feel like they're not quite there. The latter would more likely fit into the style of deck that wants Pia and Kiran.

So are Kor essentially just albino humans? At least that's what Nahiri looks like. I wish WOTC made their non-human species a little more creative, but I guess that's related to the unwashed masses disliking Ajani for not being human enough.

So are Kor essentially just albino humans? At least that's what Nahiri looks like. I wish WOTC made their non-human species a little more creative, but I guess that's related to the unwashed masses disliking Ajani for not being human enough.

The males also have weird chin tentacles, but yeah, the females are just albino women.
35.jpg
11.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think they were different way back when when they had the il-Kor and the en-Kor (Invasion block? I dunno) but then its MTG so they got retconned into white-skinned people who live on Zendikar.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198360107]If only because the stiching on her right leg creates a tangent with her wrap :p[/QUOTE]

Can't unsee.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198360107]If only because the stiching on her right leg creates a tangent with her wrap :p[/QUOTE]

That's just another sign of Emrakul's influence.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Now I want there to be a misprint and the official explanation to be "Emrakul did it".

Yeef

So are Kor essentially just albino humans?
They're probably the closest to humans of the non-human races, but they're not exactly the same. The males have facial barbs instead of facial hair. You can see the most prominent examples on Munda and Kor Castigator As far as I can tell, the women are basically the same as humans, just albino.

At least that's what Nahiri looks like. I wish WOTC made their non-human species a little more creative, but I guess that's related to the unwashed masses disliking Ajani for not being human enough.
They use different physiology for the same races on different planes (except for humans). Vampires on Innistrad look different from Vampires on Zendikar, which looks different still form Vampires on Mirrodin (who have weird, straw-like fingers that they use to drink with).

They also just did dog-people (Ainok) and Naga for the first time in Khans block. I think, for the most part, they've been good about making interesting denizens that fit the various planes.

kirblar

Serious question:

SaffronOlive says "Pia and Kiran Nalaar seem nuts with Clue tokens, which provide ample fuel for the "sacrifice an artifact: deal two damage" ability. The best part of Pia and Kiran Nalaar is the pair is playable even without help."

Why would you want to pay 150% of the mana to do 2 damage over drawing a card?
Because it turns every card into a guaranteed Shock instead of a random draw which may or may not be the burn you want/need to close a game?

Toxi

Banned
She definitely looks olde,r I'll give ya that
She has a completely different face.

Which is totally fine, we don't need more restrictions on artists. It's par for the course with MtG characters; compare Chandra's features from her different cards and they all look different.

Had to return a gift to Walmart, and used the refund on some packs because what else are you going to buy 20 minutes from closing.

Don't ask me why I bought a BFZ pack but somehow I picked the one out of 12 packs with a foil Plains. Good enough.

Joe Molotov

Hadn't seen this posted:

Y97Ieql.jpg

Each vampire creature card you own that isn't on the battlefield has Madness. Its Madness cost is equal to its mana cost. (If you discard a card with Madness, you may play it for its madness cost instead of putting it into your graveyard.)

1cmc 2/1 red creature with no drawbacks, hnnnnnnggggg.

Toxi

Banned
Hadn't seen this posted:

Y97Ieql.jpg

Each vampire creature card you own that isn't on the battlefield has Madness. Its Madness cost is equal to its mana cost. (If you discard a card with Madness, you may play it for its madness cost instead of putting it into your graveyard.)

Holy shit

This thing is pushed

I really hope Tormenting Voice winds up seeing a ton of play.

The whole Clue token + Pia synergy makes me wonder if Artificer's Epiphany will see play.

Firemind

Sulfuric Vortex: the card that has made me produce more salt than you'll find in the entire Frozen Dinner section of your local grocery store.

That goddamned card has torn victory away from me more times than I could ever hope to count. I hate it more than a root canal. I hate it more than climate change. I hate it more than Donald Trump.

If I were given the opportunity to erase Sulfuric Vortex from history at the cost of my firstborn child, then sorry mom, it looks like you're never having a grandkid.

Here's to all the life I could have gained if not for that vile three mana red enchantment because inevitably I ALWAYS have access to lifegain when that fucking boil on the ass of civilization hits the battlefield.

If I could buy every single copy of Sulfuric Vortex that ever existed, and as a result they shot up to five hundred dollars a piece, I would burn them all in a bonfire and invite the scumsucking ne'er-do-wells from R&D who designed the card to watch.
Well that's random.

Could be worse. Could be Bloodbraid Elf into the one card that you didn't want to see flipped.

Hadn't seen this posted:

Y97Ieql.jpg

Now we're talking!

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198363011]Like Sulfuric Vortex?[/QUOTE]

LOL for some reason that cracked me up.

Angry Grimace

Hadn't seen this posted:

Y97Ieql.jpg

Seems a little busted, really.

Forgot to post the name, apparently it's Vampire Glutton.

the one I saw was "Falkenreath Gorger."

sinisterconcoction.jpg

Sinister Concoction is another fun design, though it will be pretty bad unless there really are a lot of madness cards.
I'm on board with others thinking there will be enough madness cards to make Sinister Concoction a good deal. At least, that's definitely what I want to see, since I think it's a really fun design.

Could be retconed like whatever else.

I mean, sure, but then you're still introducing a second, distinct race of Cthuloid monsters, and doing so by hearkening back to a plotline that 98% of your current playerbase weren't around for the first time (and probably 80+% weren't for the second), and you're retconning that old storyline to do it. If your goal is to prove that it could be something besides Emrakul it could work, but it's hard to imagine a scenario where the actual creative team would ever come to this conclusion naturally.

Like, actually, I think with Rosewater's article today we can pretty much reason out why this set is happening now, and why it's Emrakul. We know that after Scars block, they started on Rosewater's "Seven-Year Plan" -- a list of seven block ideas he wrote up all at once and got approved from the head honchos at WotC. We know that BFZ block was the fifth "year" on this list, so there were two still to go. We know that Innistrad was the very first year, and it was on the list as an "experimental" block, with a theme that there was strong resistance to -- so we know there wouldn't have been a return to this world already penciled in as part of the same seven-year plan. That was the question before: why another return right after BFZ? Why Innistrad now when people were expecting it in a couple years?

Rosewater's article gives us the missing piece. Design team member Adam Lee, at a time late enough to be years after Innistrad but early enough to be before Tears block was in pre-design, proposed a return to Innistrad where the Gothic Horror was inflected by Lovecraftian horror and all-pervasive madness. Rosewater says everyone loved it so much they immediately marked this down as the way to handle an Innistrad return, so they would've had this in their minds already. However, they would've had one problem implementing this -- the "happy ending" that undid all the cool parts of Innistrad in Avacyn Restored.

Then, in leading up to the Two-Block Paradigm, they decided to move to a much more interconnected form of storytelling, meaning they wanted each block's story to naturally flow and connect with the ones around it. BFZ was going to be about the Eldrazi menace, but due to the new set structure it would only cover two of the titans. Furthermore, they needed a connection to the following block so the story could continue forward, with the oldwalker trio being a major dangling thread, and Ugin's part already told -- leaving Sorin and Nahiri to get some focus.

When you have all those requirements to start with, and the information mentioned there, everything starts to come together pretty naturally. Innistrad is the perfect place to resolve the Sorin/Nahiri storyline. Chasing after Sorin gives the perfect excuse for someone from the main cast to travel to Innistrad and connect this plotline in with the ongoing story. A Gothic Horror world shaded by Lovecraftian madness is a perfect place to show a different side of Magic's particular cthuloid menace -- and having those eldritch horrors corrupting the plane is the perfect excuse to roll back the gains of AVR and make the world horrifying and evil again.

Looking at all that in one place coming together, the plan seems obvious: move the Innistrad return up to right after BFZ, tie it into the ongoing plotline, and have Emrakul go there and corrupt shit in the background. Any other solution to the mystery wouldn't tie all the behind-the-scenes stuff as neatly together.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198363011]Like Sulfuric Vortex?[/QUOTE]

RAAAAAAAGE

No seriously. I was just playing in a cube draft (paper, not online), and in both games against one guy, I had just stabilized when he top decked the Vortex, resulting in me dying three turns later, in both cases with a Vampire Nighthawk on the field.

It was the worst.

I think they were different way back when when they had the il-Kor and the en-Kor (Invasion block? I dunno) but then its MTG so they got retconned into white-skinned people who live on Zendikar.

That one's not really a retcon, the whole story with Rath (like Mirrodin) was that everything there got kidnapped from some other plane, so in this case the Kor were kidnapped from Zendikar.

Interesting how much a character's face changes depending on the artist.

And yet in a thousand years she hasn't changed her clothes.

Crocodile

If you play that card as the last card in your hand, do state-based effects kill it before you get to draw a card? It feels like the way they would want the card to work is that you'd keep the creature but then shouldn't it be worded "as it enters the battlefield" rather than "when it enters the battlefield"?

Toxi

Banned
DEEPEST LORE

I had to read both sides a few times before I realized the Werewolf side has power and toughness equal to the number of cards in all players' hands while the human side has power and toughness equal to the number of cards in your hand.

Hadn't seen this posted:

Y97Ieql.jpg

Oh wow, I never thought I'd see the day. Not only does it have no downsides, it has an upside.

Pretty neat, though I expect people to unthinkingly kill it by casting it as the last card in their hand. Have there been any other cards with power/toughness based on the number of cards in every player's hand before? I really like the art on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom