• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oath of Sorin (2)(B)
Enchantment
When Oath of Sorin enters the
battlefield, return target creature
from your graveyard to your hand.
At the beginning of your upkeep,
target opponent loses one life and
you gain one life.

That'd be as unhelpful for Zur as it gets :(.

It needs to be something like.

When Oath of Sorin enters the battlefield, look at the hand of target opponent and choose a non-land card. That player discards the chosen card.

At the end of your turn if a Planeswalker entered the battlefield under your control this turn target opponent discards a card.

ultron87

The end of the Innistrad story in Duels made me laugh. Jace and Tamiyo are in the Cathedral about to get got by Avacyn and then out of nowhere Sorin just crashes in through a skylight and summarily deals with Avacyn.

It also mentions that this "removed the last of Sorin's magical protection" of Innistrad, so that is presumably what lets stuff get real crazy in Eldritch Moon.

The end of the Innistrad story in Duels made me laugh. Jace and Tamiyo are in the Cathedral about to get got by Avacyn and then out of nowhere Sorin just crashes in through a skylight and summarily deals with Avacyn.

It also mentions that this "removed the last of Sorin's magical protection" of Innistrad, so that is presumably what lets stuff get real crazy in Eldritch Moon.

Does he do a 3 point landing? You gotta do a dramatic entrance in style.

ultron87

Does he do a 3 point landing? You gotta do a dramatic entrance in style.

Probably.

XabzJN2.jpg

Story screens here, thanks person on Reddit: http://imgur.com/a/Xq6YK

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, its not like the Eldrazi titans made a particularly big impact on anything since they all were gigantic 10 drops.

Also, you're going to keep being sad if you keep trying to play 3 color. It's unpossible.

I mean, its not like the Eldrazi titans made a particularly big impact on anything since they all were gigantic 10 drops.

Also, you're going to keep being sad if you keep trying to play 3 color. It's unpossible.

The Ever After/Sidisi/Silumgar loop is just too much fun.

It's easily broken and 6 mana is a ton, but goddamn is it the best feeling.

So Innistrad is fucked beyond repair now, right?

There is no non-asspull way out of this situation.

Ashodin

Remains to be seen in Eldritch Moon. I have a distinct impression that the moon is going to get replaced by Emrakul. They'll have to bind her and have Nahiri construct a new moon around her, but it will slowly fuck up Innistrad.

Once they find Nahiri and break her out of her spell, anyway.

Or she could die, but fuck man, she's my Equipment bae.

Firemind

BuN5g5I.png

Finally, I get to play a proper Izzet deck in limited. Praise Legacy cube!

(There are a surprising amount of counterspells in this iteration. Can't say I'm complaining.)

Haines

Banned
Everyone going to draft at fmn tmrw?

I'm hoping to force blue black zombies. I can see those cards getting passed for vampires humans and werewolf's fairly easily.

Unless of course those colors aren't open.

Remains to be seen in Eldritch Moon. I have a distinct impression that the moon is going to get replaced by Emrakul. They'll have to bind her and have Nahiri construct a new moon around her, but it will slowly fuck up Innistrad.

Once they find Nahiri and break her out of her spell, anyway.

Or she could die, but fuck man, she's my Equipment bae.

Those all sound fairly asspullish to me. :p

Also, the real problem is that, with Avacyn gone, the vampires are going to eat everything.

I've been testing out this budgetish brew for modern zombies:

o86V352.png

I would still need to spend $250 to have this deck physically. I might do that if it continues to play well.

Your first mistake was assuming they have the sensibilities to write a good story.

Their environmental storytelling (as opposed to whatever crap is going on with the named characters in the foreground) has always been good, sometimes veering into great. Anything on the level of the effects of interplanar eldritch horrors on a plane is an environmental story thing, and based on SOI they are indeed pretty good at that.

Yeef

Or not? Depends on how they write it actually. Imagine...

This is but one of the three Eldrazi Titans. When the trio acts in concert, their abilities play well off of each other, but singularly, perhaps Emrakul's presence merely warps the plane into a twisted and wretched place, albeit slowly. Without the destructive and land-deadening capabilities of Ulamog or the physics-corrupting Kozilek to aid her, Innistrad is safe from actual, physical destruction, but if something isn't done a horrifying and terrible fate awaits any living thing on the plane.

And this is me barely trying. They have a whole team dedicated to creative. They could totally make it work in away that isn't just Zendikar again.
One thing to keep in mind is that Zendikar is mana-rich and the Eldrazi eat mana; that's why they decided to lure them there in the first place; they were naturally attracted to it because of its rich mana. Theoretically, on other planes, the Eldrazi's influence wouldn't be nearly as pronounced as it is on Zendikar.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nahiri being in SOI is weird to begin with. I got my Fat Pack and the booklet doesn't explain whatsoever what she's doing there. I wonder why they didn't just hold her off until Electronic Dance Music.

(Pulls: Avacyn, Mindwrack Demon, uh, Triskaidekafuckimpullingamillionofthesearenti x2)

OnPoint

Nahiri being in SOI is weird to begin with. I got my Fat Pack and the booklet doesn't explain whatsoever what she's doing there. I wonder why they didn't just hold her off until Electronic Dance Music.

(Pulls: Avacyn, Mindwrack Demon, uh, Triskaidekafuckimpullingamillionofthesearenti x2)

Hm... shit. That means we aren't going to likely be getting any Nahiri stories until EDM as well. It's a shame that they didn't hold her off just to keep the mystery of who is doing shit going through SOI and then reveal it in EDM.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Man, is investigate as great a limited mechanic as it seems from Duels? Or is it just good in that crap card pool? Because in Duels, investigate is some powerful ass shit.

Yeef

Investigate is an amazing mechanic. It makes sure that you don't run out of gas, while also giving you a mana sink. It's also really solid with engine cards, like Fleeting Memories and Graf Mole.

It pretty clearly points out that she's there to bring the love of Emrakul. Driving Avacyn mad and getting Sorin to kill her was part of the plan, theoretically to weaken whatever protective force Sorin had placed over Innistrad and allow Emrakul in.

WanderingWind

Fuuuuck I want to play limited so bad. Why can't WotC let me spend money this week? Next better bring some online parity.

Have you seen what Nahiri did to the vampires?

Like, bruh.

True but wasn't that mostly just the Markov's? As long as there are vampires the problem remains. Not to mention that either way the balance is done for so there's no winning as far as Sorin is concerned.
Except killing Nahiri.

They didn't want to put 3 planeswalkers in a small set like EDM, and they needed to split the primary black (Sorin and Liliana) and primary blue (Jace and Tamiyo) characters up. That pretty much leaves her in SOI.

y2dvd

Latest tweak. I'll worry about sideboards later!

UW Tutelage
Creatures 4
4 x Knight of the White Orchid

Spells 32
4 x Planar Outburst
4 x Ugin's Insight
4 x Declaration of Stone
2 x Quarantine Field
1 x Sigil of the Empty Throne
4 x Silkwrap
4 x Sphinx's Tutelage
1 x Starfield of Nyx
3 x Pacifism
3 x Stasis Snare
2 x Suppression Bonds

Lands 24
4 x Westvale Abbey
4 x Port Town
4 x Prairie Stream
4 x Island
8 x Plains

I expect to get runned over week one aggro decks haha. If the double white is inconsistent early on, Westvale will be reduced to 2 copies. Knight is important if I stumble on lands. I probably should mb a few Negates, but I'm gonna run this for awhile.

I may brew some janky Bant Cluestone deck for fun, using stuff like Bygone Bishop, Erdwal Illuminator, Expose Evil, Fleeting Memories, Tamiyo's Journal, Thraben Inspector, and Tireless Tracker. Man, I'm bad at brewing lol.

My fat-pack had a
Archangel Serra angel
Abbey land demon guy
Jace #7
Olivia, mobilized for bad art

My booster box had
Gitrog frog
Big mad Sorin
Kord, wolf lady
nahhh iri
Descend upon the fishermen
Geralf's Skaab Ruinator
Thang in da ice

Best foils were
Fevered visions
Falkenrath Gorger
Hanweir militia lady
Heir of the Falkenrath of secrets (so pretty!)

Most opened rare
Rattlechains, Hanweir militia captain & devils playground

Easily the best box & fat pack I've ever opened.

hermit7

I think I am going to do a draft this evening for soi. First one so is there anything that I need to know or do?

All I have ever gone to was a few prereleases.

WanderingWind

I think I am going to do a draft this evening for soi. First one so is there anything that I need to know or do?

All I have ever gone to was a few prereleases.

Uninvited Geist is amazing. Investigate is super awesome (I think). Uh. So, try blue if possible.

Draft enough creatures, don't get hung up on your first pick, don't be afraid to switch colours if it's open, look at your curve,...

The format is still pretty unexplored people won't know what's good but BR madness will probably be a favoured combination. I wasn't impressed with blue in sealed.

hermit7

Yeah I played the soi prerelease so I am familiar with the cards.

That is an advantage at least I suppose. Are you allowed to look at your picks mid pack? Say I draft something and then 6 cards later want to look at what I have?

y2dvd

Doesn't Starfield make you way too vulnerable to languish?

It can, but it's only a 1 of. I find myself winning more often on Tutelage. And decks that runs Languishes probably won't have that many targets for my enchantments anyways, so I don't think it's likely I'll have Starfield online vs those decks. I'd definitely bring in Negates from the sb for control.

Ugin's Insight may get replaced with Jace Unraveler. I'll test this out some.

ultron87

Yeah I played the soi prerelease so I am familiar with the cards.

That is an advantage at least I suppose. Are you allowed to look at your picks mid pack? Say I draft something and then 6 cards later want to look at what I have?

Yeah that's fine at store level events. Just be sure to put down the pack you're currently picking from before you pick up your already drafted cards. This prevents stuff from getting messed up and prevents the appearance of any impropriety.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I drafted a B/R vampires deck with the enchantment that gives everything first strike and a +1/+1 counter to vamps that deal damage. Also had the 1 drop vamp that gives all vampires madness + 3 lightning axes and a bunch of other burn removal.

It wrecked face.

So, I couldn't find a general thread for this, so I'm going to ask here because it's the most active MTG thread right now. If there's another thread for this question, I would appreciate it if I could be directed there instead of derailing this thread.

I'm pretty new to MTG. My friend helped me build a deck (Mono-Blue, Ninjas + some control) and I'm liking it so far, but I'm really digging the Lovecraftian nature of the Eldrazi and kind of want to drop down some big monsters.

Now that Shadows over Innistrad is out (and Eye of Ugin finally banned), I'm thinking I might build an Eldrazi Ramp deck, as the prices should have dropped.

Does anybody have any suggestions for building such a deck?

ultron87

Sounds like want a Modern deck? What's your goal with this? When you say ramp does that mean you want to be casting expensive stuff like Ulamog and Emrakul? Are you looking to be competitive at tournaments or just playing casual games?

That will help to target the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom