• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like want a Modern deck? What's your goal with this? When you say ramp does that mean you want to be casting expensive stuff like Ulamog and Emrakul? Are you looking to be competitive at tournaments or just playing casual games?

That will help to target the suggestions.

Modern, yes. Casual play against friends.

I hear Scions are good for ramping, so maybe a Scion deck? I must stress that I'm fairly new and don't know a ton of the mechanics (for reference, I had no idea creatures were spells until a week ago), so a dual-colored deck might be hard for me to work with. I'm looking at either a mono-coloured Eldrazi deck, or a colourless deck (for thematic purposes).

ultron87

I hear Scions are good for ramping, so maybe a Scion deck? I must stress that I'm fairly new and don't know a ton of the mechanics (for reference, I had no idea creatures were spells until a week ago), so a dual-colored deck might be hard for me to work with. I'm looking at either a mono-coloured Eldrazi deck, or a colourless deck (for thematic purposes).

The traditional casting big stuff (Eldrazi or otherwise) deck is Green since that has the various mana ramp creatures (Elvish Mystic, Llanowar Elves, etc) and mana ramp spells (Rampant Growth, Explore, etc). That can also get you some good Eldrazi themed ramp like Awakening Zone and From Beyond which pump out a nice stream of scions. Then you just grab the big Eldrazi or other expensive creatures you want.

If you want to go full colorless you'll want Eldrazi Temple and probably various mana producing artifacts.

One problem you'll come across is that most of the good Eldrazi cards are still pretty expensive, including cards like Eldrazi Temple. Of the legendary cards, only Kozilek, the Great Distortion is less than $10 each. However, you can easily get other uncommon and rare huge Eldrazi for much cheaper.

Just search for Eldrazi cards on Gatherer and see what you like first. Note that there are Eldrazi Spawn from Rise of the Eldrazi that act similarly to Scions but are 0/1 instead of 1/1.

And about the confusion regarding a general Magic thread, that's what this really is. We just make a new one for each Standard set release, and it will be moved to Community by the end of the week, I believe.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm likely missing one, but the Eye of Ugin ban has to be the most universally accepted one in recent memory, right? Like nobody complained. You can't even get that type of consensus online when talking about serial killers.

OnPoint

I'm likely missing one, but the Eye of Ugin ban has to be the most universally accepted one in recent memory, right? Like nobody complained. You can't even get that type of consensus online when talking about serial killers.

Everyone knew something had to happen. I am surprised we haven't seen more "Should have been Temple" stuff, personally.

Survey is up!

Latest Developments - The M Files SOI part 1
* Angelic Purge was an instant for a while.
* They were really afraid of token decks becoming too powerful, hence Declaration in Stone and Always Watching.
* Things like a 1/4 for 1R are only a BFZ thing, and aren't likely to happen again.
* Rise from the Tides originally put a 1/1 Spirit with flying onto the battlefield for each instant and sorcery in your graveyard, but they changed it to zombies to make it weaker while also making it look more impressive.
* Welcome to the Fold originally gained control of creatures based on power, but it was thought to be too strong with Jace's ability to reduce power, so it looks at toughness now. Notably, it was always meant to be used against Jace himself.
* They are really against regenerate now, but still don't have a good keyword replacement.
* Triskaidekaphobia is one of those cards that got the cost reduced without much comment.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Tron Guy complained a lot, but nobody likes Tron players so yeah

Man, I'm just loving this. All the cards I used for BFZ Standard are spiking now, which means I could sell out of my deck at a profit. Gotta love having picked up Archangels at $5 a pop.

kirblar

'Concerned by Sorin's absence, Nahiri travelled to Innistrad to find him - and she was not seen again for thousands of years. Now at last she has resurfaced. Using her mastery of stone and earth, she created a vast pattern of twisted stone stretching across the four provinces. In some places - including Markov Manor, Sorin's ancestral estate - she warped existing buildings into elaborate, gravity-defying patterns. in other places, she drew rock from the ground and shaped it to suit her purposes. But so far, no one can say what those purposes are.'
"Sorin stuck Nahiri in the Helvault" theory gets a +1.

Firemind

Tron Guy complained a lot, but nobody likes Tron players so yeah
Tron players are too spoiled nowadays. Before Expedition Map, we Tron players actually had to get lucky to hit Tron. It's always that damn Tower. Tolaria's West and Gifts Ungiven were a godsend. Now Tron has Map and Impulse for one mana. And they're complaining they don't have another Sol Ring on a land that doubles as a repeatable tutor? Fucking Tron players man.

Man I love this reanimator deck. I was at 1 life and 5 cards in my library with no nonland permanents and my opponent was at 20 with an ulamog and I won lol

Everyone knew something had to happen. I am surprised we haven't seen more "Should have been Temple" stuff, personally.

Once people looked at it seriously the Temple position was completely unjustifiable. Eye both ramps with much more variance than Temple and turns into late-game insane card advantage, both of which are obviously far worse than making 2 mana.

The mechanic-rating section of the survey has colorless mana on it, which, hmm.

"Sorin stuck Nahiri in the Helvault" theory gets a +1.

This seems reasonably plausible, but then shouldn't Sorin have acted differently after he came back and found the Helvault blown up last time?

Haines

Banned
I drafted a B/R vampires deck with the enchantment that gives everything first strike and a +1/+1 counter to vamps that deal damage. Also had the 1 drop vamp that gives all vampires madness + 3 lightning axes and a bunch of other burn removal.

It wrecked face.

3 axes? Wow people just handed you the drafts best removal huh

OnPoint

Once people looked at it seriously the Temple position was completely unjustifiable. Eye both ramps with much more variance than Temple and turns into late-game insane card advantage, both of which are obviously far worse than making 2 mana.

This seems reasonably plausible, but then shouldn't Sorin have acted differently after he came back and found the Helvault blown up last time?

Definitely agree on the Eye point. The logic of turn 1 Eye vs turn 1 Temple with any number of Mimics over one should have been enough for people to see it, always.

I don't recall him ever finding the Helvault blown up. That happened in AVR, and his card was in DKA, but the story and what Sorin was doing there was never really well defined, was it? It's been a while, but I don't recall him being around for the Helvault stuff -- Liliana was IIRC.

Edit: According to this (http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Sorin_Markov) he never confirmed why Avacyn was missing and how she came back. Just that he noticed she was gone, and then while doing something else, eventually noticed she was back.

Ashodin

This is where I take issue with the theory. If Sorin knew Avacyn was back/Helvault was destroyed, he would have been right there to wait for Nahiri to come out for some right ass fighting.

Nahiri had to have been sealed away somewhere. She arrived on Innistrad then disappeared. I think she may have been in the moon or something.

Im surprised that WotC printed ever after. It goes against their hatred of repeatable boardstates.

Ever After 4BB
Sorcery
Target creature or planeswalker's owner sacrifices it.
Put a 4/6 legendary zombie with deathtouch and a 3/5 legendary zombie dragon with flying and deathtouch onto the battlefield.
Return Ever After to your hand.

That's some cruel ultimatum value.

kirblar

There is a LOT of stuff involving repetitive loops and boardstate actions in SoI, noticeably more than in a normal set, actually, probably any set since Alara.

WanderingWind

Interesting; his price doesn't seem very reflective of that. I wonder if most people just haven't caught on? I know it's going to be a heavily-opened set and all, but Westvale Abbey is only a rare and it's currently higher. Thing in the Ice is almost on par with it :p

Thing in the Ice got hyped. Jace looks weak compared to others. But I don't know how much.

Hey guys, I quit during return to ravnica, but Innistrad has me interested again. Going to a FNM tonight. Haven't seen most of the cards, but are there any synergies etc I should be looking for while drafting tonight?

kirblar

Groundskeeper, the skeleton that returns to your hand, that cycle of Delerium upkeep drigger critters, the zombos you can get back from the yard. At the prerelease I turned the looter into Archivist with the Skelly all the time.

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200501650]
I've already got most of the pieces for Bgc Frogrange. Just need one more Gitrog Monster.

I like this reanimator deck but I'm not gonna get jaces again and I promised I wouldn't play control in tournaments anymore.[/QUOTE]

You'll be back.

That seems like a deck which beats up ramp and folds to aggro.

I mean, it's control, what do you want from me? That said, being able to main a bunch of languish is nice.

You'll be back.

Not as long as it's 300 bucks for a Jace playset. I'll be happy with my pretend games on cockatrice for my control itch.

Besides, the frog draws me enough cards.

Not as many as epiphany, but that's bordering on some revelation shit.

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200501464]You laugh now, but just wait until Adrian Sullivan takes it to a 6-3-1 constructed finish at the pro tour![/QUOTE]

NEGATE

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That seems like a deck which beats up ramp and folds to aggro.

The only aggro deck I've seen anyone try is Vampires and its just outright bad. GB's deck would just win by casting Languish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom