• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

Groundskeeper, the skeleton that returns to your hand, that cycle of Delerium upkeep drigger critters, the zombos you can get back from the yard. At the prerelease I turned the looter into Archivist with the Skelly all the time.

The grave-to-hand skeleton puts in work with any sort of repeatable discard - I got SO many 1/1 Lifelink Vampires by constantly recycling it through that one enchantment. A real gem for limited.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, all the playtest articles are saying Vamps is currently just not there yet.

I tend to agree, but trusting playtest articles at the head of new standards is bad news. The pros figured out their tech. They just won't share until they have to. In fact, I'm done a pretty good job staying ahead of the buying curve by figuring out what the CFB guys are writing about and buying into the opposite.

kirblar

I tend to agree, but trusting playtest articles at the head of new standards is bad news. The pros figured out their tech. They just won't share until they have to. In fact, I'm done a pretty good job staying ahead of the buying curve by figuring out what the CFB guys are writing about and buying into the opposite.
This is coming from people who aren't on the PT - if there's a way to make it work, it's not obvious.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This is coming from people who aren't on the PT - if there's a way to make it work, it's not obvious.

Fair enough. I'm not seeing anything great either. I still bought into Olivia because I'm pretty confident the next set will have decent support. Vamps were strong, but zombies were just better the first time around. WotC likes to flip stuff like that. But I actually expect a bigger push in spirits in EDM, simply because they felt it was the tribe they fucked up with in Innistrad. Even still, vamps are right on the edge.

From my surface level testing, zombies and vampires are almost there, werewolves need a decent amount of help, spirits need a lot of help, and human decks are already good, but they barely have any tribal elements.

Okay I have drafted a deck that's more a synergy win than actually effective but why do I have to go up against a player getting. Westvale abbey, Sin Prodder and Dance With the Devils. I won game 2 but game 1 my opponent plays dance with the devils with a Westvale Abbey already out and game 3 he revealed dance with the devil with Sin Prodder.

That's just mean. If I had been a bit braver I could have drafted a mill deck.

MrDoctor

From my surface level testing, zombies and vampires are almost there, werewolves need a decent amount of help, spirits need a lot of help, and human decks are already good, but they barely have any tribal elements.
use them with spirits, then add black for removal or green for clue synergy

Ashodin

So Ghirapur Aether Grid is looking real hot with my RW Equipment deck. Clue tokens = damage which is huge. So Bygone Bishop synergy, 0 mana equip synergy... It's pretty damn good

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The reason why is because the way Vampires are designed appears to push aggro strategies really hard, but in reality Madness and aggro play very poorly together. You have to gain card advanatage through Madness to make discard costs and effects *actually* worth playing, but the problem is that getting value from Madness requires a lot of mana and that is a very weird thing to do in a clearly aggressive deck.

The way Madness is currently implemented really wants something like Liliana of the Veil that lets you use Madness as full on card advantage. The reason Madness is good is that its virtual card advantage because you're "gaining" a card but people seem to be treating discard as a feature as opposed to actually losing cards.

I still suspect the secret strategy is just Always Watching into Ojutai because the combo is backbreaking and both cards are independnetly worth playing.

Like its a 2 card combo that just wins you the game 90% of the time because the only board wipe anyone plays is Languish and Languish doesn't kill Ojutai with Always Watching out.

y2dvd

What's funny is humans don't seem to have as much synergy in limited as vamps, spirits, and wolves, but they seem to be everywhere in early standard decks haha.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What's funny is humans don't seem to have as much synergy in limited as vamps, spirits, and wolves, but they seem to be everywhere in early standard decks haha.

It's a bunch of 2 drops that are mostly above the line of constructed playable. You know you're playing a jank deck when you play a card that isn't actually good without a bunch of other stuff to enable it.

The version I'm on now is roughly this:

Deck: UW Always Ojutai
w.gif
u.gif

//Lands
6 Island
11 Plains
4 Port Town
4 Prairie Stream

//Spells
4 Always Watching
4 Declaration in Stone
1 Dispel
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Silkwrap

//Creatures
2 Archangel Avacyn
4 Archangel of Tithes
4 Dragonlord Ojutai
3 Hidden Dragonslayer
4 Knight of the White Orchid
4 Reflector Mage
2 Stratus Dancer

//Sideboard
2 Dispel
3 Negate
3 Invasive Surgery
1 Descend Upon the Sinful
3 Surge of Righteousness
1 Silkwrap
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Display deck statistics

It's nice to actually see Standard decks on the web that aren't 4/5 colour good stuff

Also, completely late on this, but if you can get your Sigarda's cheap get them. Every thing I'm seeing is hyping her up as an alternative to Avacyn as a curve topper in Humans so I have a sneaking suspicion she's going to jump in price soon.

I also think that Sin Prodder is undervalued right now, though that depends upon how the format evolves. He's a Angry Bob in a format with less removal that while it gives the opponent a choice is still great.

Wichu

While all the good players at my FNM are still waiting for their cards, I just stomped Standard with B/W Pactfield. Played against R/G Landfall, U/B Zombies, G/W Enchantments, and U/R... Stuff. Didn't drop a single game all day, and most of them weren't even particularly close. Deck is fun as hell.

kirblar

While all the good players at my FNM are still waiting for their cards, I just stomped Standard with B/W Pactfield. Played against R/G Landfall, U/B Zombies, G/W Enchantments, and U/R... Stuff. Didn't drop a single game all day, and most of them weren't even particularly close. Deck is fun as hell.
Got a list?

Wichu

Got a list?

B/W Pactfield aka Creatureless Vampiric Rites

2 Dead Weight
2 Duress
1 Sinister Concoction
2 Vampiric Rites
1 Quarantine Field
3 Silkwrap
2 Transgress the Mind
2 Angelic Purge
1 Bound by Moonsilver
4 Stasis Snare
4 Demonic Pact
3 Languish
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 Planar Outburst
4 Starfield of Nyx
1 Sorin, Grim Nemesis
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Forsaken Sanctuary
7 Plains
4 Shambling Vent
6 Swamp

2 Duress
2 Transgress the Mind
2 Vessel of Malignity
4 Blood-Cursed Knight
3 Infinite Obliteration
1 Virulent Plague
1 Sigil of the Empty Throne

Still needs a bit of tweaking (I definitely want at least another Quarantine Field). Once the Starfield engine is running, the deck feels invincible.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Went 3-0 in a random draft in toronto, 3 2-0s each with G/R Werewolves. It was absolutely bonkers. I had like 10 flip wolves, 5 uncommon ones (3 2 drop 3/3s, 2 fetch a dude 2/2s) the common ones were mostly red. Had the 3/2 that gives wolves indestructible, the werewolf damage removal spell, 2x +1/+1 wolf enchantments, and a bunch of other random wolves. Transforming equipment, it was pretty gross. Also had a westvale abbey that did nothing, it was great.

Turn 2 3/3, into them not doing anything on their turn 2, untap turn 3 with a 4/4 is ridiculous. Sometimes it even forces them to make bad plays in order for them to stall the transformation. So good.

Also the two players next to me were rare drafting, so full disclosure.

Haines

Banned
Wow this set is amazing to draft and fun as hell to play.

Got second and my buddy opened.sorin p1p1 and forced it and got first i n his pod.

Love this set so much.

I was wr. I had so many playables I could have went agro or controls I did a mix but had I known delirium was so easy to turn on in a well made deck I def would have just played more good stuff and won late game and ditched a few agro cards

3x Drana, Liberator of Malakir
3x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
3x Erebos's Titan
4x Thought-Knot Seer
4x Realtiy Smasher
2x Ob Nixilis, Regnited
4x Read the Bones
4x Transgress The Mind
4x Grasp of Darkness
3x Languish
2x Ruinous Path

3x Blighted Fen
2x Mortuary Mire
4x Caves of Koilos
4x Llanowar Wastes
11x Swamp

Side:
3x Ultimate Price
2x Gilt-Leaf Winnower
2x Infinite Obliteration
2x Virulent Plague
2x Pitiless Horde
3x Self-Inflicted Wound
1x Sidisi, Undead Vizier

This deck was a POWERHOUSE. The only games I dropped tonight were 2 where I kept 2 landers and never saw another land for the 8-10 turns of the game (a common occurrence for me) and one where I drew 5 lands, a Read, which then scry'd 2 lands to the bottom and drew 2 more. So major screw or flood. Outliers.

I'm thinking about adding white for Declaration in Stone, Sorin, and Gideon and I would have tonight but I lack the DiS and Sorins. I was very happy with this deck. It's basically a deck that runs them out of resources then wins on the back of 1 or 2 threats.

Yeef

Pack 1, I opened Arlinn and Mindrack Demon. Decided to go for Arlinn since I didn't have any and I have multiple demons. She also seemed like the bigger limited bomb. Ended up building Jund Werewolves (BG, splashign Red) Didn't drop any games that counted. Had a big Timmy moment in the last round when I got to swing with a 12/11 Menace, First Strike, Vigilance, Haste Trampler twice for game.

Sinister Concoction is the truth. Being able to fuel madness, delirium and kill a creature all at the same time for one mana is incredibly useful. Just the threat of activation also makes the opponent avoid playing tricks, too.

Also, there was randomly next month's FNM promo (Sylvan Scrying) mixed in with this month's (Blighted Fen) in the promo pack, so that was cool.

I've been playing around with UW Humans (#kenjiwayfinder plus a sideboard). The cards in that deck are all so powerful. Always Watching is crazy good, and it makes Gossipmonger have basically no downside. Declaration in Stone is obviously the stones. And shockingly, Thraben Inspector has been an all-star. When you're running piles of anthems, the body is actually just fine, and the clues add up.

It's a crazy fun deck. It probably needs some tweaking, but I'm a huge fan.

OnPoint

Got some good pulls in my box, not displeased.

Jace, Arlin, Westvale, Thing in Ice, Drownyard and a foil version to name a few of the cool cards.

Had a pack that was one card short, so that was weird. Also had a pack that had an upside-down card in it. Also weird.

Firemind

I swear to god I just lost to the jankiest Boros deck in Legacy cube. In the final no less. Every time I draft Boros in cube I always get screwed to hell with mana, even when I only play a few white or red cards. And I didn't see Wurmcoil Engine in all three games. And I draw/mill Duress and Inquisition when I have Tasigur in play who's tapped down by Ajani. Also, first pack I cracked, Nicol Bolas PW actually did not wheel. What the fuck. Basically I'm salty as fuck.

I swear to god I just lost to the jankiest Boros deck in Legacy cube. In the final no less. Every time I draft Boros in cube I always get screwed to hell with mana, even when I only play a few white or red cards. And I didn't see Wurmcoil Engine in all three games. And I draw/mill Duress and Inquisition when I have Tasigur in play who's tapped down by Ajani. Also, first pack I cracked, Nicol Bolas PW actually did not wheel. What the fuck. Basically I'm salty as fuck.

Yesterday I drafted a UR Splinter Twin deck that also had JTMS and Opppsition alongside an all star cast of red token producers, with Helllite and Inferno Titan as standalone threats. I crushed the first two rounds, then stood by helplessly as I mulliganed and drew like shit in the finals. I have piles of tappers and Unsummon effects - I should never lose to Dark Depths, but I did that time. Cube is cruel.

Firemind

Like, literally, I lose the first round if I draft Boros. Ajani is a trap!

Ah well, my deck wasn't amazing in any way. It's hilarious to see baby Jace eat removal though. Every single time. Even with zero cards in graveyard. Merfolk Looter has never been as fearsome in limited as Jace is now. Holy moly.

bigkrev

Featured Match winners from Round 1 of the SCG Open are Esper Dragons and Bant Company, so it looks like the 3 color dream is still alive

The #kenjiwayfinder Brain in a Jar deck is hilarious. People get really salty when you cast Engulf the Shore on them after they've animated lands. :lol

Daedardus

I'm back from China and I bought an English fat pack. I don't know it has been talked about already, but who packages these boosters? The sorting is all over the place, the token, foil, DFC, land and rares seem to jump places every booster. My first booster had the mythic before the uncommons, the DFC rare at the back and no common/uncommon DFC.

I'm down on Avacyn to be honest. Indestructible kinda sucks in this format (90% of the playable removal is either -4/-4 or exiles) and flipping her isn't as easy as you'd hope since she becomes the #1 target when she hits. She's a great card but not $35 great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom