• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200575786]Modern BW Tokens with SOI:

lcbstz.png

I recommend Languish over Flaying Tendrils. The creatures grow out of x/2 range pretty quick.[/QUOTE]

True, but the major perk for Flaying Tendrils IMO vs WW is that it avoids fueling Sigarda's ability, who I'm still convinced is the top end for GW Weenies. She can rebuild if given the Graveyard, so Exile v Graveyard matters some.

Gitrog is a beast of a card. Almost Makes me wish I had the funds to build a deck with him

Gitrog's definitely not one of the more expensive cards in Standard. I don't think any of the cards in a GB deck would cost more than ten bucks, and I traded for everything that costs more than 2.

It's certainly not Jace deck stupid.

I ended up running a variant of R/W Equipment deck based on Ashodin's deck at FNM last night, and I did poorly against the white weenie decks I faced. Sadly, I think the deck might be missing enough good equipment still. My enablers of Stone Haven, Weapons Trainer, and even Relic Seeker all worked well, but outside of Captain's Claws, the equipment was only ok.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200585524]Gitrog's definitely not one of the more expensive cards in Standard. I don't think any of the cards in a GB deck would cost more than ten bucks, and I traded for everything that costs more than 2.

It's certainly not Jace deck stupid.[/QUOTE]

I think Jace is gonna crash soon enough. It's not actually all that broken in a standard without fetchlands and the ability to cast ridiculous shit like Cracking Doom.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In fact I have a 5th Jace from my Origins box I should probably dump right now.

I know he's doing well, but for whatever reason Hoogland's G/B list seems weird.

That uneasy feeling you get is from seeing so many 1 and 2-ofs. It's just an untuned list that is trying to catch solutions to as many threat types as possible. As the meta smooths out and opponents become more predictable, I suspect that list will get refined to 4-ofs and toolbox cards to start looking more coherent.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
That uneasy feeling you get is from seeing so many 1 and 2-ofs. It's just an untuned list that is trying to catch solutions to as many threat types as possible. As the meta smooths out and opponents become more predictable, I suspect that list will get refined to 4-ofs and toolbox cards to start looking more coherent.
You're right. That's probably it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for 1 and 2-of's, but a 1-of den protector, 1 world breaker, just 2 random ramp dudes, pulse of murasas and stuff seem kinda jank.

Ashodin

I ended up running a variant of R/W Equipment deck based on Ashodin's deck at FNM last night, and I did poorly against the white weenie decks I faced. Sadly, I think the deck might be missing enough good equipment still. My enablers of Stone Haven, Weapons Trainer, and even Relic Seeker all worked well, but outside of Captain's Claws, the equipment was only ok.

Sorry, I know our games showed that the deck looked interesting, but I hadn't tested it against White Weenie yet (UNTIL TODAY)

I fought it earlier in the day, came home, made that angray post, then dropped in 4 FT 4 LA. That White Weenie is fucking brutal, it swarms quick and if you're NOT playing any sort of removal (even FT/LA does work, since they can get out of x/2 range REAL quick with Always Watching) it just sucks.. After I went back and dropped in the burn, I definitely took one game off of him afterward which was very satisfying. My opponent basically preordered everything he needed for the deck before SOI release, so he was sitting there with 4x everything, 4x Declaration, 4x Always Watching, 4x Thalia's Lieutenant... ugh. Getting that win was definitely great.

This is what the deck ended up looking like after changes:

LWq2pmF.gif

Not seen in the deck: Two Westvale Abbey because why the fuck not, and swap 2 spidersilk net for 2 Captain's Claws.

My opponent showed a really gross strategy that I want to do once I get my own 4x Always Watching: +1 Gideon, attack for 6 vigilance??? Like the fuck. And his dudes stayed as blockers to protect Gideon after. Shit is fucking gross.

WB Seems like it's going to be one of the strongest archetypes.

I just came back from a sealed event, I went 2-1 and got two packs out of it, so that was nice. Pulled yet another Anguished Unmaking, and rocked WB except for round 2 (it's always round 2!) where I got overwhelmed by wolves.

Yeef

The more I play with Rabid Bite, the more I dislike it. It just feels like a burn spell too often. Moonlight Hunt and Nissa's Judgment bother me less for some reason. I think because they require a certain subset of creatures.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200585524]Gitrog's definitely not one of the more expensive cards in Standard. I don't think any of the cards in a GB deck would cost more than ten bucks, and I traded for everything that costs more than 2.

It's certainly not Jace deck stupid.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he's not that pricey, but I'm a poor University Student. Half of my pricey cards in decks I make spiked after I bought them (See Archangel, Kytheon, Voice of Resurgence). I could afford it, but the manabase/everything wouldn't be worth it unless I open like a Foil Avacyn and a regular Avacyn while cracking packs. I'm in GW because it's the Mana base I had last season, and I buy GW lands because I already have half of the Mana base. It's a vicious cycle.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
is rdw still a deck?

In standard? I don't think so. The best version is Eldrazi Red, which is mostly colorless with the Vile Aggregate and Cozy's Comeback.

EDIT: Ulvenwald Hydra? Why? Let people forget that Ultimate Price is in the format, please. My UW human brew needs that to continue.

Firemind

luckily, modern is as it's become a five year long joke.

ah well, i'll just play limited for another year and enjoy the salt that standard inevitably produces.

kirblar

Ulvenwald's a good finisher in the midrange lists.

edit: I like SCG letting all the 6-3s in for the inaugural tournament of the season.

WanderingWind

New standard smell. ahhhhhhh. Man, I missed the UR deck tech. So salty right now. Anybody know what deck he was talking about?

Basically just splooged over how awesome casting Lightning Axe or Fall of the Titans is with the Goggles. Also went over sideboarding out his creatures for Fevered Visions and control against decks loaded with removal.

WanderingWind

Hahahaha what? I need to see this on stream. Crazy that you'd go with this deck and not have Stormchaser, but I've never see this deck coming at all. And if one of you tries to be like "Oh, nah, I totally saw Pyromancer's Goggles and Magmatic Insight.dec" you're a liar pants.

Also, Cedric pulling this dude's card is lol

I've seen a lot of Fevered Visions control decks around but Todd's list is probably the best so far. Visions is good against some matchups and atrocious against others, pushing it to the sideboard is smart.

Hahahaha what? I need to see this on stream. Crazy that you'd go with this deck and not have Stormchaser, but I've never see this deck coming at all. And if one of you tries to be like "Oh, nah, I totally saw Pyromancer's Goggles and Magmatic Insight.dec" you're a liar pants.

Also, Cedric pulling this dude's card is lol

the deck already has 8 2 drops as is.

Declaration is going to be the card we're all sick of in 6 months.

STILL better than Crackling Doom.
fuckcracklingdoom

I've been spending the last 2 days trying to find someone to trade my Arlinn Kords to around here. Everyone wants them, but doesn't "have their trades together yet". And then she'll be $12 by the time I find someone ready to take her off my hands.

Hero

Wow when did Archangel of Tithes spike up so much?

Kudos to Kirblar for suggesting to pick up a playset some months ago when they seemingly bottomed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom