• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rules lawyered a guy on Esper Charm
Bout a decade of being a complete jackass in response to criticism via any form of social media.

The Esper Charm thing is overblown and a ridiculous thing to still hold against him. I will however agree that his social media presence is abrasive and rude at times. He doesn't filter or think before he tweets. Listening to his podcast gave me a different perspective on him - I used to really dislike him, but after listening to him actually spell out his thoughts changed my mind. I'm not convinced we'd be friends, but I don't think he's a bad guy at all.

Agreed wouldn't call that rules lawyering too, the modes are clearly defined and only 1 mode targets, if his version of the event rings truth. He gave the opponent multiple chances to redact his statement.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The Esper Charm thing was sort of a dick move, but to be fair the guy did say (to my knowledge) "Esper charm targeting myself". It would be a whole different story if the guy didn't declare targets and Cedric mislead him into naming himself thinking the draw was targeted or something

Because I build 2 decks every day, and because I was rushed for time today.... I built Bant CoCo for FNM. But. Forgot. To. Put. Collected. Company. In. The. Deck.

I'm fuming at myself. And I didn't even catch the mistake til round 2. Ugh. Ugh.

This is by far the worst mistake I've made prepping for play in my time with the game.

Still won a round vs the esper Dragons though.

Agreed wouldn't call that rules lawyering too, the modes are clearly defined and only 1 mode targets, if his version of the event rings truth. He gave the opponent multiple chances to redact his statement.

Yeah - the way I understand the story is that his opponent announced it wrong, he clarified, the guy did it wrong again, he then called a judge and had the guy repeat it again, and then let it resolve. He didn't mislead or influence his opponent - he just let him essentially misclick IRL.

I can't believe it took people so long to realize this.

He's pretty chill on the stream and I unfollowed him on Twitter pretty quick because I didn't care enough about basketball.

How is he a jerk?

For myself I don't really care about the Esper Charm thing, but I do care about him going aggro on random posters over the shitshow at the SCG Philly event, accusing them of lying, etc.

EDIT: Like we were in pretty solid agreement here about the Efro thing, and honestly I feel like accusing people of lying so you can run D on your employer is worse than being a huge tool about expectations of concessions.

Because I build 2 decks every day, and because I was rushed for time today.... I built Bant CoCo for FNM. But. Forgot. To. Put. Collected. Company. In. The. Deck.

I'm fuming at myself. And I didn't even catch the mistake til round 2. Ugh. Ugh.

This is by far the worst mistake I've made prepping for play in my time with the game.

Still won a round vs the esper Dragons though.

Bant tempo just didn't get there, did it?

Also, the amount of removal white has is insane in standard. I'm so happy my community has a thriving modern scene because I'm already sick of this standard. Save me, control overlords!

Bant tempo just didn't get there, did it?

Also, the amount of removal white has is insane in standard. I'm so happy my community has a thriving modern scene because I'm already sick of this standard. Save me, control overlords!

You will take your clue token and you will be HAPPY about it.

I'm really hoping the pro tour can set a different tone for this standard.

Yeef

Built a pretty solid U/G Investigate mill deck tonight at draft. Pack 2 I opened a Westvale Abbey and passed it for an Ongoing Investigation and it was worth it. That card does a ton of work. Between Graf Mole and Fleeting Memories, the deck had a ton of inevitability. Tons of cards to gum up attacks, too. Silent Observer, Watcher in the Web, etc. I also managed to get 3 Daring Sleuths which is not a card I'm normally too high on, but I had enough tempo spells that they could often get in for damage pretty easily and more than enough investigate to flip them on time every time.

Wouldn't want to be MaRo's teenage child, part 2, part 3, part 4.
arbiterofknollridge asked: Using the word hip instead of cool, is pretty uncool.

You’re telling me to tell my kids that my blog says they’re not cool? Not cool, Question Marks. : )

==

mrpopogod asked: You just need to use the boss slang that the kids are using these days for them to see you as hip.

Give me some teen slang (clean, please) to use with my kids.

==

ilpheed-tandy asked: it's kind for you kids to use old-timey slang like "hip" so that us old folks understand what they're saying.

I’ve been told the modern day expression for “cool” is “dank”.

==

conorace asked: To be honest, I wouldn't try using the current 'cool' slang with your kids. If my dad tried that, he would look like a weirdo to me and would just make me embarrassed.

Embarrassing my kids is one of my major goals. I need to raise their embarrassment threshold to better prepare them for life.

Joe Molotov

Maro's kids be like
b5ONm3C.png
: Just fuck my shit up fam.

GitrogMonster_Pepe.jpg

I just know that there's a deck that wants Grafstones. I started off with Todd Anderson's deck from last week's open since it fills the graveyard fast and actively wants to play a bunch of spells in one turn. I don't know if this is it, but I just know that being able to play ramp in a non-green deck with sweepers in the main has to be good somewhere. I tried some mono color decks so I could fill the yard with 1-drops but they kind of start heading towards eldrazi and I don't need to tell you how that works out with Grafstones.

qjipp3.png
Image.ashx

No Mindwrack?

My problem with Grafstone -> dragons is that you need to play a 1 drop to get the tempo advantage. Unless you're on the draw and get to fiery impulse/ dead weight something, you're basically stuck with Duress, Insolent Neonate or Magmatic Insight which aren't really insane cards. Ironically the best 1 drop spell I can think of is Traverse the Ulvenwald.

As far as I can push an actual off-green ramp deck as a thought experiment would be something like this:

qy3xpk.png

Although I suppose Warping Wail means you could technically play 16 2-mana red ramp cards if you really want to. I dunno what the payoff that makes it worth it is, though. Turn 4 Chandra into Turn 5 Bane of Bala Ged?

edit: lol I just tried it and it was turn 4 bane of bala ged.
I lost horribly.

hermit7

Went 2-1 drafting a g/b delirium deck. Deck was not that great and I won 3 of my 4 games with a sorin I splashed for.

Game 2 my opponent was kind of an ass hole. He got the 4/9 out both games and I didn't really have any answers so I lost which is fine, no problems there. He then asks if he can check out my deck and proceeds to make all these suggestions that would make my deck "better".

Recommended taking out the 3/3 green creature that investigates every time he deals combat damage to a creature for some 3 drop vanilla. And he recommends I take out the 3/3 flying vampire that you can pump by discarding for the same card. I wasn't trying to be argumentative but I thought his card evaluations were way off especially in the deck I played, and the way he came across was so condescending.

Haines

Banned
So my stores draft fired 2 6 man pods last night.

So kind if sick of looking forward all week to fmn and playing rubbish draft like that after driving for 25 minutes.

So I might just say fuck it and do a draft online once a week.

I'm not sure.

Santiako

Are WotC streaming any of the limited gps this weekend?

So kind if sick of looking forward all week to fmn and playing rubbish draft like that after driving for 25 minutes.

I'm not sure.

6 people draft is not that bad. 8 is optimum for sure, but with 6 you should have almost the same experience.

I'm not sure.

We had 5 pods yesterday and I had the luck of landing in the 11 people pod...

6 man drafts are alright you get the rare occurrence of drafting monocolour. Makes for interesting matches.

Went 1-1 in draft before having to drop out to workout with my coach.

1 pod of 8 people (my pod) and another pod of 9 people.

My pod had some crazy pulls; 2x thing in the ice, 2x westvale abbey, arlinn kord, and I ended up with an avacyn
my 3rd one overall LOL

My prize pack got me a nahiri.

Overall, a good day.

Hero

So I don't think I'm drafting SoI correctly.

Last night I went blue white spirits but couldn't do shit against the stupid 2/5 spider that can block additional creatures. My opponent had three of them. Why is it that thing a common?

Haines

Banned
Are WotC streaming any of the limited gps this weekend?

6 people draft is not that bad. 8 is optimum for sure, but with 6 you should have almost the same experience.

I just find only 6 packs can really cut the variety down and you have 2 less people pulling colors so that's 4 colors not getting pulled everything just kind of snowballs and makes it not even close to the feeling of an 8 man draft for me.

I'm picky yes. I'm willing to admit that. When I spend time on something.I like it to be as good as possible that's in my control

Haines

Banned

Last night I went blue white spirits but couldn't do shit against the stupid 2/5 spider that can block additional creatures. My opponent had three of them. Why is it that thing a common?

Well, he was lucky to have 3 and it is a 5 drop.

Spirits hasn't looked very strong to me.

y2dvd

Went 3-1 in sealed last night. One guy had a Jace, Avacyn, Port Town, foil Westvale Abbey, and the exile all creatures spell. Luckily he wasn't that good so I beat him. The guy I lost to had Gigtog Monster, Tireless Tracker, and Sorin. All pretty busted in Limited. I had uhhhh, Dec in Stone and more bulks that didn't do anything for my deck. The luck on some pools. Share the wealth yo! ;_;

MjFrancis

It's fun when draft archetypes end up working in different color combinations than intended. I started out with W/R Aggro and moved into W/R Delirium by the middle of pack two, went 3-0.
If it wasn't for three pack 3 Wicker Witches this deck may have been a horrible idea instead of an amusingly competent one. My third pick of pack 2 had me staring down Nahiri's Machinations or Tenacity so I committed to Delirium given that I already had two Ox and two Reaper angels (of which I only played one in the main). I felt like there was enough removal and looting to make this deck work, if only barely.

Wicker Witch into Inquisitor's Ox is great, it happened a lot and I was always at or close to Delirium at that point. Bonus points when the Witch eats a pump spell to save their creature that can no longer be pointed at the Ox.

Ashodin

Also, in the SCG Columbus Invitational, U/R Goggles still seems to be doing fairly well.
I'm picking up Goggles this weekend.

I've been looking heavily at the 1UR Eldrazi that makes colorless spells 1 less mana to cast. It essentially makes 1 mana artifacts free, 2 mana artifacts 1 mana, etc.

There's gotta be something there.

Firemind

It's fun when draft archetypes end up working in different color combinations than intended. I started out with W/R Aggro and moved into W/R Delirium by the middle of pack two, went 3-0.

If it wasn't for three pack 3 Wicker Witches this deck may have been a horrible idea instead of an amusingly competent one. My third pick of pack 2 had me staring down Nahiri's Machinations or Tenacity so I committed to Delirium given that I already had two Ox and two Reaper angels (of which I only played one in the main). I felt like there was enough removal and looting to make this deck work, if only barely.

Wicker Witch into Inquisitor's Ox is great, it happened a lot and I was always at or close to Delirium at that point. Bonus points when the Witch eats a pump spell to save their creature that can no longer be pointed at the Ox.
God R/W is so busted.

Yesterday I lost to a 2/3 trample wolf that gains a +1/+1 counter for every noncreature spell played and the red instant that gives double strike. White also has a shit ton of cheap removal and pump spells.

I know it's a controversial inclusion, but the Thopter Sword combo really changes Lantern's bad matchups.

You don't need the Sun Droplets anymore and 0 power attackers just aren't that relevant. That said, this is the most GB deck ever. It's UB control, it's got tokens and Ensnaring bridge, what's not to love?

qyaubb.png

It does turn Stony Silence from a mild annoyance to a real card because you're not playing Abrupt Decays anymore, but that's something I'm still playing around with.

Change the name and you have a cool flavourful card, really nice.

In fairness you need to up the price too; in terms of comparable effects Soul's Fire is 2R (and Blood is RG), and this effect is way, way better. Amazing mechanic though.

(I almost even like the name as a combination of "Infection" and "Infraction." You could fix it in the flavor text.)

Santiako

In fairness you need to up the price too; in terms of comparable effects Soul's Fire is 2R (and Blood is RG), and this effect is way, way better. Amazing mechanic though.

(I almost even like the name as a combination of "Infection" and "Infraction." You could fix it in the flavor text.)

Yeah, maybe a 2R or 3R if it's an instant.

By far the most powerful draft I've done with SOI so far. Like, this isn't reasonable at all.

qc5exn.png

Thing in the Ice, Rise from the Tides and Geistblast are the three absolute best cards in the UR archetype, and not only getting all three but getting three Geistblast is completely absurd.

I cast Pieces of the Puzzle drawing two Geistblast and milling the third, and in game two I sided in the castigator because my opponent had arlinn.

And as always, Geistblast forking Rise From the Tides is the best combo in SOI limited.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shouldn't we be back in community by now? Just saying.

Also, this set is a lot of fun in limited. I'm pretty sure LSV way underestimated Delirium and Mindwrack Demon. It's not that hard if you actually draft/open the delirium deck to enable it. Crow of Dark Tidings is a reasonable pick to begin with.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201157266]Kinda crazy seeing Jace in so many decks and not once as a 4-of.

Also, a Modern "burn" deck with 18 creatures.[/QUOTE]
The second is dead/too slow too right now for a lot of decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom