• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supast4r

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201157266]Kinda crazy seeing Jace in so many decks and not once as a 4-of.

Also, a Modern "burn" deck with 18 creatures.[/QUOTE]
Just like we call it affinity when they play no cards that say affinity besides thoughtcast (and that's not all the time) We call it burn just like we call it affinity.

Yeef

So I don't think I'm drafting SoI correctly.

Last night I went blue white spirits but couldn't do shit against the stupid 2/5 spider that can block additional creatures. My opponent had three of them. Why is it that thing a common?
The spirit deck seems like a tempo deck. I haven't actually drafted it yet, but it feels like you should probably prioritize bounce and tap effects (plus some actual removal) to get it going.

I love that the 3 major mechanics are each prominent in 3 colors and compliment each other so well. It allows you to draft "off the rails" decks pretty easily, which is great. In one draft, a friend of mine drafted a pretty cool green-black vampire deck using Ulvenwald Mysteries in concert with Indulgent Aristocrats, Byway Couriers and some other vampires and investigators.

Matriox

So I participated in the Columbus Open this weekend. I finished day one 9-3 and will be coming back for day 2 :). I ended up playing Mardu control: http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/186486 . Deck is pretty sweet, a little bad on goggles matchup though. But I played a large amount of different decks and feel really good about most of the composition. I have not played standard since last year at states so I'm feeling pretty good about day 2ing for the first time. My sideboard is a mess but overall it has done pretty decently, the big duds are Tragic arrogance though. Bad call.

So I participated in the Columbus Open this weekend. I finished day one 9-3 and will be coming back for day 2 :). I ended up playing Mardu control: http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/186486 . Deck is pretty sweet, a little bad on goggles matchup though. But I played a large amount of different decks and feel really good about most of the composition. I have not played standard since last year at states so I'm feeling pretty good about day 2ing for the first time. My sideboard is a mess but overall it has done pretty decently, the big duds are Tragic arrogance though. Bad call.

Why no kolaghan's commands then?

hermit7

Got in most of my modern goblins deck, hopefully the rest of it comes in within the next few days and I can try it out next Friday.

Going to goldfish it a bunch and see what it tends to draw out as constructed.

Cards I was surprised to see: Void Grafter, Hermit of the Natterknolls, Mono-Red Aggro in general, Goldnight Castigator, Hallowed Moonlight, Caustic Caterpillar, Tears of Valakut, Gryff's Boon still, and Essence Flux.

I was actually looking into tears since it's a way to deal with 5 toughness flyers at instant speed in red. If you're not packing the support for Lightning Axe it can be difficult to get rid of these threats.
Because I did zero testing and didn't know it was a bad matchup lol.

I just love the combination of GDD and KCommand, add a little hand disruption and you'll keep your opponent hellbent. Should also test to the slaughter, very impressive card imo.

Shouldn't we be back in community by now? Just saying.

Yeah, I had the window open yesterday and didn't click submit.

7-1 or better Standard decklists from the Starcity games Invitational That mono red aggro there is surprising to say the least.

Guys, I hate to break it to you, but a white/black deck with 23 removal/disruption spells and exactly one creature is not "midrange."

Also, yikes, only 3 out of 17 decks contain no white.

(The Modern results are pretty diverse though... with no Affinity.)

Rewatching SCG and the commentators cracking up at soul sisters vs aggro game 1 is pretty funny

edit: Soul Sisters lost after getting flooded, then mulling to 5 and still drawing dreadfully

OnPoint

Bought 12 packs to play 6-pack sealed with my girlfriend today and I pulled an Avacyn and an Olivia. Probably the best pull I've got from a random set of packs in some time.

Looking over that top 8 though? I'm rooting hard for Gerry T to get the win.

Haines

Banned
Went 3-0 in my first online experience

Which was draft. Fuck sealed in this format. It's awful.

Really proud of how well I drafted and even my games considering I never played a match on there before and was figuring it out as I went.

What's the easiest way to share my deck with you guys? Does it save it for me or do I gotta throw it together quick in the deck building thing?

First pick was geralf masterpiece and he won me a few games. Very strong card lol

Matriox

I just love the combination of GDD and KCommand, add a little hand disruption and you'll keep your opponent hellbent. Should also test to the slaughter, very impressive card imo.

Truth be told I was afraid of running into madness cards with the discard function and 2 damage isn't very good right now so I discounted it pretty quickly. I'd like to wedge some into my deck in retrospect but I'm locked into my list as is unfortunately. Just have to wing it day 2 and see how it goes.

Going deep

q12aup.png

I take back anything I said about SOI draft being boring. It's actually just fantastic. Lots of craziness going on.

Speaking of limited impressions, that draft just made me want to test an Autumnal Gloom deck since I already have most of the pieces for GB.

qxxsax.png

Gather the Pack into Autumnal Gloom or Autumnal Gloom into Mindwrack Demon is the real deal, and this deck just value trains forever. I've only played against Mono Red Eldrazi so far with this build, but I went from unsure to wanting to actively test the card more.

Traverse the Ulvenwald just does everything in the lategame. It can grab a Den Protector to fetch up a sideboard card you dredged over, it grabs a removal spell directly in blighted fen or just grabs the frog.

We already know how silly the pulse + den pro loop is.

Santiako

That mono red 1 drops aggro that is listed as 7-1 was actually a 1-3 drop lol, said by the player in reddit.

Makes sense, deck looks bad (but hilarious).

I need to get back into testing on Cockatrice, need to test out a few cards for GW Humans. I've noticed at the least that Surrak is a legit beating if they don't have an answer ASAP. Going Kytheon->Consul's->1Drop+Thalia's Lieutenant/Veteran Warleader by itself-> Surrak with no removal means you can swing for 17+ Damage on turn 4.

I'm stumped. Playing Magic Duels and in the battles vs. AI it lists me as having 36 cards in my Library after drawing 7... With my AI opponents having that proper 53.

What am I missing?

EDIT: It seems to be skipping the basic lands? Yeah, cannot draw a basic land with mulligans. It's bugged?

DOUBLE EDIT: This is apparently a thing with the new version. It's not a huge ask to get some basic QA going on your product. I'd be curious about how the budget / schedule lines up for Duels with regards to even a cursory glance at the software, lol.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
There is a reason why everybody on the digital side is about to/already has lost their jobs. This new guy is going to clean fucking house.

Santiako

After playing with it for a bit now, I have to say that Investigate is such a great mechanic. It's a mechanic that always feels good, I even love the look of the tokens.

James Perdue just cheated with UR control if I saw correctly. He didn't pay the red for the lightning axe he cast then activated his fumarole and had just enough to EOT get back Drownyard Temple.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wait, really?

Their job postings have been a steady stream of digital positions. Most recent one:

Sr. Systems Engineer Job - Renton, WA, US
Sr. Manager, Cloud & Core Infrastructure Engineering Job - Renton, WA, US
Sr Network Engineer - Temporary Job - Renton, WA, US
Manager, Software Game Development - Magic Digtal Job - Renton, WA, US

And it's big that they brought a CEO from outside the family, so to speak, whose entire background has been in the digital realm. If you work on anything digital for WotC, right now you're sweating bullets.

I'm watching with the sound off, so I don't know if the commentators caught this, did wagner misplay there? He could have blocked the anthemed knight token with the displacer to force his avacyn to flip and threaten to kill all the tokens. Then his opponent probably sacks them to make ormendal and wagner gets to play out his second displacer.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201196304]I'm watching with the sound off, so I don't know if the commentators caught this, did wagner misplay there? He coukd have blocked the anthemed knight token with the displacer to force his avacyn to flip and threaten to kill all the tokens. Then his opponent probably sacks them to make ormendal and wagner gets to play out his second displacer.[/QUOTE]
That's definitely the best line, no one caught it.

Ok then why bring it up in here like its a big deal?

did it sound like a big deal? Sorry just caught it and thought it was post worthy. Stuff like that happens quite often, double land drops, missed triggers, etc.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201196304]I'm watching with the sound off, so I don't know if the commentators caught this, did wagner misplay there? He could have blocked the anthemed knight token with the displacer to force his avacyn to flip and threaten to kill all the tokens. Then his opponent probably sacks them to make ormendal and wagner gets to play out his second displacer.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering why he didn't dromoka's commanded the token when it got blinked. Maybe he did see it after making attacks or always planned making it fight avacyn.

James Perdue just cheated with UR control if I saw correctly. He didn't pay the red for the lightning axe he cast then activated his fumarole and had just enough to EOT get back Drownyard Temple.

Reddit's on it and it actually looks a little more malicious than that. He taps a mountain for Lightning Axe, but then picks it up to rearrange his lands to active the Fumarole and puts it back down untapped. This leaves him with just enough mana to retrieve his Drownyard Temple on the opponents next turn, which he does. It could have been a mistake and he does look nervous but untapping a land is a bit more suspicious to me than forgetting to tap it at all.

EDIT: This turn-around by Thompson is beautiful. Totally sold on Bygone Bishop.
EDIT2: What. Fuck. What.

I quite like the absurd commentary going on right now by Ryan Overturf and Matthias Hunt. Highlights include:
* Flavor justification for Hidden Dragonslayer killing angels due to it being Sunday and his day off.
* Justifying how otters are fish.
* Deciding to ask pros if they think penguins are fish.
* Imagining a world where Richard Garfield didn't invent sideways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom