• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Reflector Mage + CoCo proving to be the newest 'bad guy' of the format.
It really was a mistake not to print a Lightning Strike variant. Dat three toughness

Come to think of it, there's not even a Negate in the format to counter Coco, is there? :lol

Come to think of it, there's not even a Negate in the format to counter Coco, is there? :lol

3 actually.

59.jpg
65.jpg
65.jpg

and dispel

bigkrev

What happened?

Rush of Adrenaline and Uncaged Fury on a Ember-Eye Wolf with pumps for 13 and lethal out of nowhere (opponent blocked and died due to the trample)

Next Game, Rush of Adrenaline-Rush of Adrenaline- Magmatic Chasm for 16 and lethal out of nowhere.

If I was a friend of Brian Braun-Duin, i'd make sure he avoids any high places and ledges for the next few hours.

bigkrev

Negate is in Oath? Woah. (oh yeah it's in Dragons.)

Negate is one of the only Universal Base Set cards that they have anymore. I cannot fathom a standard enviorment that does not include it ever again, unless they shift and decide that UU Counter Target Spell is a valid card again.

So I'm new.to online. When I went 3-0 I got three packs.

It was Swiss format. What changes tmrw and why is it better?

Single elims become available, which have higher prizes. So if you have a ~60% winrate you can almost go infinite.

There's also a single elim queue where you get prizes for getting knocked out round 2 as well.

What's the deal with Bygone Bishop? I couldn't watch the Stream.

Also, I fully agree that Investigate is a fantastic mechanic. It gives Aggro a potential out to get that one last point of damage through, gives Control ways to dig for answers if they need to early on, can be easily hated on by artifact/token hate, etc. I'd not at all be surprised if in the future blocks Investigate becomes a "Jace" mechanic. Having a mechanic that fits a member of the Gatewatch would be a unique way to infuse story with Gameplay. If we get a block with Jace as the frontrunner, Investigate is in it. Gideon gets Support, Nissa gets Cycling, etc. Maybe not those exact abilities, but it's a thought. You give basic, simple mechanics that still feel good to each Gatewatch Walker.

As for the digital marketing, I'm willing to bet that Hasbro has been seeing Hearthstone and breathing down WotC's neck about fixing digital. I mean, the digital aspects are awful in UI/Bugs/Speed(that horror story about coding Archetype of Endurance was hilarious)

Update after a day of testing:

qogs4z.png

Moved Kalitas and a Languish into the main. Kalitas is a good target for Traverse, Den Pro and Pulse in the late game once you've got the grind engine going. Languish is good against the other value decks like bant company and the humans stuff since they don't have real graveyard synergies and I don't care if my Deathmists die.

That opens up slots for a second Virulent Plague and a Grip in my sideboard. Tokens + Abbey is a super popular archetype and Grip is just a monster in any game that isn't going to end very fast. Especially once you start rebuying it. Be careful about targeting Lumbering Falls.

Autumnal Gloom basically always flips within a turn of playing it, and usually on the turn it's played. Ironically it's better against other creature decks than control decks, since it's basically Anafenza and the control decks play edicts and Languish. That said, the Hexproof is still super relevant against the bant tempo creatures and white removal.

I'm still not convinced it's better than my Bgc Eldrazi deck, but it's moving into the conversation.

Haines

Banned
Single elims become available, which have higher prizes. So if you have a ~60% winrate you can almost go infinite.

There's also a single elim queue where you get prizes for getting knocked out round 2 as well.

Hmm. I dunno if I would be good enough. I'll have to look into it for sure tho.

3 game Swiss was very taxing on me.

Hmm. I dunno if I would be good enough. I'll have to look into it for sure tho.

3 game Swiss was very taxing on me.

I was fairly decent at Swiss but I got knocked out round 1 every single time I tried an 8-4, I get the reluctance but Swiss is gonna burn a hole in your pocket eventually. You might manage to keep going for a while but eventually you'll run out of tickets and your picks won't be able to make up for it.

I put enough money into MTGO to not even want to draft SOI at this point, I also suck at it.

72 minutes game 2 just finished.

Firemind

i'm not really feeling shadows of innistrad

there are a ton of madness cards but where are the enablers? they sure as hell are not common.

feels like innistrad lite

kirblar

there are a ton of madness cards but where are the enablers? they sure as hell are not common.

At uncommon, all the recurring effects are.

Might play better w/ sealed because of that.

Haines

Banned
I was fairly decent at Swiss but I got knocked out round 1 every single time I tried an 8-4, I get the reluctance but Swiss is gonna burn a hole in your pocket eventually. You might manage to keep going for a while but eventually you'll run out of tickets and your picks won't be able to make up for it.

I put enough money into MTGO to not even want to draft SOI at this point, I also suck at it.

72 minutes game 2 just finished.

I'm going to keep it once a week max hopefully. In reality it's all I have time for anyways. How do I sell my cards on it.

I had a great blue red madness deck last night.

Enablers off top of my head were mad prophet lightning axe ravenous blood seeker and geralf masterpiece

You can also use draw and discard spells like tormenting voice etc

An example in black would be macabre waltz

I'm going to keep it once a week max hopefully. In reality it's all I have time for anyways. How do I sell my cards on

It's pretty cumbersome, you make a binder in your collection, set it as the active trade binder then put the cards in you want to trade. Then you go to the trade section and search for the bot of your choice (I use goatbots) and the bot will look through your binder and tell you the amount of tickets you can take, then you select the tickets submit and confirm the trade. Foils you can trade individually sometime for significantly more, just search for the name of the card and foil. For instance I sold a foil Tazri for 6 tickets when the regular version was worth next to nothing.

An example in black would be macabre waltz

I love macabre waltz in the THG we got 2 and I actually splashed for it playing GW, while my partner played the other in RB Madness. Call the bloodline is the actually amazing discard outlet in black. Insane value.

100 minutes...

and it's just game 3. The Pro Tour is gonna be a mess.

kirblar

Uh oh.

Prepare for more of this. Bant Company is 20 of the top 32 decks from the Standard Open at #SCGINVI

It won't take much of this to force a CoCo ban- it was already the best deck for the past 6 months as well.

bigkrev

They fucked up the standings at GP Barca, resulting in the person in 9th place making T8 instead of the person in 8th place

Due to an issue with the Grand Prix reporting software, the Grand Prix Barcelona scorekeeper identified that, after pairing Round 15, the match results from Round 14 were missing. As re-entering Round 15 before starting the Top 8 would have delayed the tournament by an estimated one hour minimum, after consulting with Wizards of the Coast, it was decided to start the Top 8 using players' total points plus the tiebreakers from Round 14.

However, after the scorekeepers entered the Round 15 results correctly, it was identified that the player who advanced to the Top 8 in 8th place should have instead finished in 9th place because of tiebreakers. The ultimate difference between tiebreakers of players in 8th and 9th place is 0.0026.

Jonas Friberg from Sweden should have been playing in the Top 8 of Grand Prix Barcelona.

With 39 match points accrued at GP Barcelona, Jonas already earned his qualification and flight to Pro Tour Eldritch Moon. We, however, want to acknowledge that because of an issue with our system, Jonas did not have the chance to play in the Top 8, and have therefore decided to grant him an invitation and flight to Pro Tour Honolulu as well as a prize payout of $2,500 for his finish in Barcelona.

Firemind

omg i get paired against people who don't know fiery temper can do lethal and i still manage to lose lol

mana floods i tells ya

Why don't they start restricting cards in standard, aside from being a slippery slope that could cause standard to be interfered with more often it could stop some feelbads much easier.

Please help me out. Here's the two finalists for the deck I want to bring to next week's PPTQ:

qyrkur.png

The one on the left is more interactive and has more power, but the one on the right is more consistent, has a massive engine and can grind through basically anything.

Need to decide by tonight if I want trades to arrive by the weekend.

f0rk

It might be the run away best deck but I'd wait till the pro tour. I don't think SCG grinders often 'solve' formats.

kirblar

It might be the run away best deck but I'd wait till the pro tour. I don't think SCG grinders often 'solve' formats.
It's not that the SCG grinders have "solved" it so much as it's the descendant of the prior runaway best deck, one that has been shown to be incredibly difficult to fight because it operates on so many different axes.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201219234]Please help me out. Here's the two finalists for the deck I want to bring to next week's PPTQ:

The one on the left is more interactive and has more power, but the one on the right is more consistent, has a massive engine and can grind through basically anything.

Need to decide by tonight if I want trades to arrive by the weekend.[/QUOTE]

I'd go for the deck with mainboard languish.

kirblar

God's Beard!";201219234]Please help me out. Here's the two finalists for the deck I want to bring to next week's PPTQ:[/QUOTE] Neither - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEKbFMvkLIc said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEKbFMvkLIc[/URL]

Santiako

I gotta say after this weekend, Overturf and Hunt have become my favourite casters, they have way more fun doing it than the rest.

Uh oh.

It won't take much of this to force a CoCo ban- it was already the best deck for the past 6 months as well.

CoCo's not going to get banned, people just need to be prepared for it. While the card is bonkers, it's still super hateable by sideboard tech. It is worrying in terms of the numbers it has, but it's nowhere near Stoneforge/Jace Levels.

Also, CoCo wasn't the breaking card for the last 6 months, it was Rally+the absurd mana base. If anything, It's a byproduct of Wizard's FFL being complete ass at their purpose, considering they seem to operate in a completely different reality.

I really don't want a CoCo Ban because I use it in Modern, and I'm totally afraid that a ban in Standard would carry down to Modern.

Yeef

Tormenting Voice, Macabre Waltz, Insolate Neonate and Ghostly Wings are all good common enablers. The best ones are all uncommon or higher, but there are lots of them.

ultron87

Blue has ended up super open in 2 of the 3 drafts I've done so far. Did blue in the set get declared bad or something and I missed it? Or was it just a fluke of the pods? I've had good results with it. Admittedly I'd be fine casting Drownyard Explorers forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom