• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not embarrassed to admit I've drafted multiple Rise decks that never found a Rise. You can still win, it's just going to take awhile. Stitchwing Skaab and Stormrider Spirit have done some real work for me. Mill is also an option but it's hard to pull off since everything you need is at uncommon.

My problem with mill is that I churn through my own deck so fast that I deck from cantrips before I get close to milling my opponents.

OnPoint

I think black being "evil" is a matter of perspective. Thirst for power and the means justifying the pursuit of those things at any cost and interest of the self over all else are black traits. Society has taught us that the opposite of those things is good. We're definitely more green/white aligned in terms of ideals. So naturally we could see those things as evil. Truth is every color is able to take its base characteristics too far -- white in particular has been guilty of some pretty awful stuff in the MtG universe (and in real life if you want to have that discussion). They simply choose not to go that path often. I'd like to see a green villain myself.

As for the zombies being green debate? I think where creatures fall in color pie is much different than the mainline characters being in color pie based on personality. Whoever said that most undomesticated animals would be green if they went this path is right: That's why you don't apply the color pie philosophy for personality to wild creatures -- it would be boring as shit if every creature was green.

A zombie (usually) is black because it was made using powers that require black mana. The reanimation of something deceased goes against usual cycle of life (green) and is decidedly a black situation. Subverting the laws (natural or otherwise) to get what you want and cheat death is super black. Those elements supersede "personality", and I think rightly so.

I won't get deeply into why I love the color pie applications for character personality ,but I think it's one of the smartest aspects of the game and, while I don't think they always get it right, it's pretty great for defining motives and explaining actions.

I think Ob Nixilis would.

Oh, you mean Senior Mustache-Twirler himself? He absolutely would, and pretty much has.

B/W life drain is kind of a deck. I've seen a lot of it around lately and, at the very least, it's a solid budget option (it can function just fine without Gideon) for standard. It looks fairly unimpressive but it's actually hard to get ahead of.

My current build:
buxVDzN.jpg

It's very much in progress but the win rate is surprisingly high. Cliffhaven Vampire is by far the MVP in this thing, he basically doubles the damage of all your drain triggers and when you have two or three going off every turn, the game is over pretty quickly. You can also just sac everything with Ayli when he's on the board to finish off someone. I had more removal initially but you gain enough life that you aren't forced to address most threats. If you can stall the board state, you've basically won.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201538018]My problem with mill is that I churn through my own deck so fast that I deck from cantrips before I get close to milling my opponents.[/QUOTE]

That's what Epitaph Golem is for. He goes pretty late too, I can usually wheel him.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'll walk back a bit of what I said on Nahiri. She's hard as fuck to kill and her minus is randomly really useful, and her plus is really good in a deck like Hoogland's Mardu control where you drop a dude your opponent doesn't want you to bounce to begin with, basically Goblin Dark-Dwellers. That card is just killer that deck, especially since it lets you go fat on lands since you just dump them to draw.

Man... not that I'm a lawyer, but I just read through the complaint that was actually filed for the class action suit and it seems pretty solid. The gist of the argument is that tournaments are a marketing vehicle for WOTC, and judges are necessary to carry out those marketing activities, and WOTC oversees the certification of judges, and can penalize them all the way up to 'firing' them, therefore they have an employer-employee relationship.

The PR statement that WOTC put out doesn't even seem to be responding to the allegations and just uses language to get the community on their side. I am curious to see what their defense in court will be.

Joe Molotov

Trying to figure out what to play for States but I don't wanna play CoCo and I'm not really excited about Humans either. I've got W/B Midrange assembled, but maybe I should push it more towards Control. What do?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
you gotta draw and have the triple at turn 3 preferably on the play and even then Town Gossip Mongers only need 1 anthem effect to outgrow it.

Trying it in a temur shell atm.
You can Languish too. It's not like they are killing you Turn 3.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Some interesting thoughts from Corbin Hosler (in response to this video from Tolarian Community College) about prominent reprints in Standard:

See lots of reprint discussion going on today, so I want to lay out a few points regarding the problem Wizards faces. Series of tweets inc.

(1) Magic was built on a platform of desirable cards - some will be "chased" after, leading players to open more packs.

(2) This leads to some cards being worth more than others as players want those cards to play with.

(3) Over time, these differences become more pronounced as older formats see cards rise to the top and supply is lessened.

(4) This brings us to reprints. Reprints drive big sales for Wizards, but there is danger is printing too many reprints.

(5) Not enough reprints make things inaccessible. Too many - Chronicles - drive players away from the game and nuke the value of collections

(6)Lots of people say they don't want expensive cards - then they buy a pack of MMA hoping to crack a Goyf. This is desirable if you're WOTC

(7) It is generally agreed that Modern and Legacy are better than Standard. They are also vastly more expensive most of the time.

(8) Because WOTC doesn't profit from secondary market sales, people want WOTC to reprint stuff like Liliana and Snapcaster themselves.

(9) Wizards is dabbling in this with MMA and EMA. This sells sets and is good. However, there are dangers to overprinting.

(10) For instance, if Modern and Legacy were the same price as Standard, why would anyone choose to play Standard over those two formats?

(11) But because those formats change so much more slowly than Standard, it is impossible to sell as many new booster packs to players.

(12) Yes, stuff like MMA and EMA sell out immediately. However, if they truly printed those to demand, why would we care about Standard?

(13) What happens after those sets sell out and everyone can now play Modern? Standard is forgotten and no one buys new Standard set.

(14) So yes, while a fully-printed EMA would make WOTC a ton of money now, it would come back to bite them in the next few years.

(15) At that point, the only way to sell new product is to either push the power level - a danger to the game's very existence.

(16) Or to force players to play a different format, which is also not desirable.

(17) To summarize: Standard should be low-cost and easy to get into - $700-800 Standard decks are too much.

(18) But Modern and Legacy - if they are to be at all supported by WOTC - must be more expensive for the business model to survive.

(19) This shows why the issue of reprints is more complicated than it appears when someone yells "REPRINT LILY NOW"

(Sorry for the annoying formatting. It was a series of tweets. Someone's asked him to write an article about it now, so maybe that'll provide more depth.)

I think the standout question he poses, "Why would anyone care about Standard?" is interesting, but also has an easy answer: variance and variety. I think a lot of players, maybe the majority of players, like the fact that Standard is a constantly shifting environment, with different mechanics and play styles becoming dominant and fading away as blocks rotate in and out. He's also ignoring draft, which seems to be a big pack pusher.

How much of MtG's revenue comes from entrenched collectors vs. new players vs. casual players vs. serious hobbyists?

Firemind

I just walked away for a minute while drafting and when I came back I see Jace, Sherlock Holmes on the pile of cards. o_0

edit: dafuq it's only 4 tix lol

Yeah I think where I diverge from him is in the idea that its commonly accepted that "Modern and Legacy are superior to standard"

I think there's an almost mystical quality to them that is attractive, although people who play all of the formats recognize that each format has a unique set of pros and cons.

Besides, we all know that the objectively best format is Cube.

G.ZZZ

That whole problem would be solved if they just reprinted like 1-2 good cards for older formats in news set in each standard. That way lots of standard packs get opened for those cards but market prices wouldn't be able to crash anyway because mtythics still cost 70-80$ if they're in high demand. Like expeditions, those didn't crash the prices of older versions AND they drived a bit down the cost of standard because of the demand for said expeditions. Despite this, that standard was still one of the most expensive of all times because of the battlelands+fetches+jace but whatever.

That whole problem would be solved if they just reprinted like 1-2 good cards for older formats in news set in each standard. That way lots of standard packs get opened for those cards but market prices wouldn't be able to crash anyway because mtythics still cost 70-80$ if they're in high demand. Like expeditions, those didn't crash the prices of older versions AND they drived a bit down the cost of standard because of the demand for said expeditions. Despite this, that standard was still one of the most expensive of all times because of the battlelands+fetches+jace but whatever.

The problem is that only the super powerful cards are the ones people want reprinted. So you risk polluting standard environments with toxic cards (see Thoughtseize and Mutavault).

It counters Thopter Sword and Gifts, doesn't it?

It does. If it's actually becoming a part of modern, it tells me that people are betting that breaking the "graveyard-matters" mirror is going to be important (i.e., you don't want to blow up your own Thopter combo with something like Rest in Peace or Stony Silence).

The problem is that only the super powerful cards are the ones people want reprinted. So you risk polluting standard environments with toxic cards (see Thoughtseize and Mutavault).

I forgot if this was mentioned in an article or just on social media, but this is one thing that Wizards has wanted to avoid. One reason why Theros was perceived as low-power is because one of the most powerful cards of the format, Thoughtseize, was a reprint. According to Wizards, this had a direct impact on player excitement for the set, since they were less interested in the cards that were actually new.

Ashodin

I know there's a Mardu deck that's looking to corner on Bant Company and Mono White Humans, so let's see it.

Was Call of the Full Moon a preview of Innistrad?

If games go long against my esper list I might have ShadowsJace, Narset and Sorin out at the same time. Kinda hilarious. Came close to getting both Erayo emblem and narset emblem before my opponent scooped.

This argument started when demons were brought forth as to why black has to be evil. I tried arguing against that by saying demons aren't actually evil.

Yes, and that claim is ridiculous. :p

Or red. I really don't see anything underlyingly black in this.

It shades into red, for sure.

Yeah I think where I diverge from him is in the idea that its commonly accepted that "Modern and Legacy are superior to standard"

Yeah, I don't think you would actually get close to a consensus on that. Part of the backlash against the modern PT is the idea that Standard is actually better as a competitive format for a high-level event like a PT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom