• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
goddamn the ev in this set is so bad

LOL. No, it's just the dip before the explosion this weekend. Standby for the gouge. Buy everything you want to play with like, yesterday.

Some interesting thoughts from Corbin Hosler (in response to this video from Tolarian Community College) about prominent reprints in Standard:

(Sorry for the annoying formatting. It was a series of tweets. Someone's asked him to write an article about it now, so maybe that'll provide more depth.)

I think the standout question he poses, "Why would anyone care about Standard?" is interesting, but also has an easy answer: variance and variety. I think a lot of players, maybe the majority of players, like the fact that Standard is a constantly shifting environment, with different mechanics and play styles becoming dominant and fading away as blocks rotate in and out. He's also ignoring draft, which seems to be a big pack pusher.

How much of MtG's revenue comes from entrenched collectors vs. new players vs. casual players vs. serious hobbyists?

Those are a bunch of unconnected things that he just assumes are connected. People aren't chasing Goyfs because they're expensive. They're chasing them because cracking a pack is the only way to be able to play with the card without having to spend 200 bucks on cardboard. "If everybody could afford to play Modern, why would they play standard?" is the most mind-boggling stupid question I think I've ever heard somebody ask with regards to this game. If the guy writes an article with these as his points, he's going to be torn to shreds.

I've got 2 free PPTQs this weekend. Pretty excited to play in them. NOT excited about figuring out what I'm playing in them. I've got practice with BW Eldrazi control, Bant Company (with actual company), and white humans. I think each is a pretty good choice, but I'm honestly kinda bored with each of them. I'm looking for something spicier to build and bring.

Jhriad

(18) But Modern and Legacy - if they are to be at all supported by WOTC - must be more expensive for the business model to survive.

(19) This shows why the issue of reprints is more complicated than it appears when someone yells "REPRINT LILY NOW"

Obviously he can't really go into the nuance involved on Twitter but this all seems like a pretty asinine explanation if he's going to boil it down to "Modern cant' be the same price as Standard!" Of course it can't. No one that really thinks about the issue is asking for that. The cost of Modern has just become prohibitively expensive now with the popularity of the format. Of course, I'm not going to expect someone periodically employed by WOTC with a focus on #MTGFinance and the potential for profit therein to have an unbiased opinion on the matter.

ironmang

LOL. No, it's just the dip before the explosion this weekend. Standby for the gouge. Buy everything you want to play with like, yesterday.

What do you think can reasonably go up? Dec in Stone and Avacyn already spiked pretty hard. Maybe something like Gitrog if it shows up but it matches poorly against Reflector Mage so it seems unlikely to make noise this weekend.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
What do you think can reasonably go up? Dec in Stone and Avacyn already spiked pretty hard. Maybe something like Gitrog if it shows up but it matches poorly against Reflector Mage so it seems unlikely to make noise this weekend.

Most everything that gets played will spike. If Avacyn is played everywhere, for instance, her price still has room to spike. I can't tell you what to buy, all I'm saying is that if there is something you want to play with and haven't bought it before this weekend, be prepared to have to wait for the post-event hype to die off in about a month. On a long enough timeline, all set EVs are terrible. Right now, we're in the lull before the storm.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why don't they reprint stuff

because all the shit you care about being reprinted was busted nonsense

hence why they reprinted Thoughtseize and everyone fucking whined for 2 years

ironmang

I've got 2 free PPTQs this weekend. Pretty excited to play in them. NOT excited about figuring out what I'm playing in them. I've got practice with BW Eldrazi control, Bant Company (with actual company), and white humans. I think each is a pretty good choice, but I'm honestly kinda bored with each of them. I'm looking for something spicier to build and bring.

I honestly wouldn't play Bant Company or White Humans simply because Bant Company is so popular right now. I was at the Open this past weekend and the draw bracket was packed full of Bant Company players since they kept getting these insane board stalls. UR Goggles seems pretty sweet right now.

Most everything that gets played will spike. If Avacyn is played everywhere, for instance, her price still has room to spike. I can't tell you what to buy, all I'm saying is that if there is something you want to play with and haven't bought it before this weekend, be prepared to have to wait for the post-event hype to die off in about a month. On a long enough timeline, all set EVs are terrible. Right now, we're in the lull before the storm.

Oh I'm not looking to really pick anything up. I guess I should get my 4th Chandra and 3rd Ulamog at FNM tomorrow to finish them just in case. Nothing from the new set though.

Ashodin

I've been testing heavily against these decks; my sideboard consists of Radiant Flames, Roasts for the big boy BW Eldrazi stuff, and Hallowed Moonlight for Bant.

3x Goblin Dark Dwellers

3x Chandra, Flamecaller
2x Ob Nixilis, Reignited
2x Sorin, Grim Nemesis
2x Nahiri, the Harbinger

3x Languish
3x Radiant Flames
3x Read the Bones
2x Ruinous Path
3x Declaration in Stone
3x Grasp of Darkness
3x Transgress the Mind
2x Ultimate Price
1x Anguished Unmaking

3x Shambling Vent
4x Smoldering Marsh
1x Needle Spires
4x Evolving Wilds
2x Battlefield Forge
3x Caves of Koilos
3x Swamp
3x Mountain
2x Plains

SB
2x Kolaghan's Command
2x Roast
2x Kalitas
2x Virulent Plague
2x Infinite Obliteration
2x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3x Secure the Wastes

Anyone think this is viable? It's a draft mostly bouncing off of what-I-want-to-answer vs. what-I-want-to-kill-them-with.

edit: But maaaaan, I think I really want to be on a Sylvan Advocate + creature lands package this weekend. Abzan colors have the best two for those purposes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't be the only one who thinks all of this talk of a secret Pro Tour strategy is bullshit.

They're just going to all play Bant Company. It's the direct successor to Rally and it leans heavily on the exact same asshole overpowered cards Rally did because Collected Company is a format-ruining card they didn't test enough because they just operated under the assumption that putting creatures in your deck was a super-high deckbuilding cost.

kirblar

I can't be the only one who thinks all of this talk of a secret Pro Tour strategy is bullshit.

They're just going to all play Bant Company. It's the direct successor to Rally and it leans heavily on the exact same asshole overpowered cards Rally did because Collected Company is a format-ruining card they didn't test enough because they just operated under the assumption that putting creatures in your deck was a super-high deckbuilding cost.
I don't think you're wrong.

Santiako

Oh yeah, I'm expecting many a bant company mirror going to time.

I'm telling you this card is great
135.jpg

and pairs well with these

Most importantly it kills these annoying fellas unconditionally at instant speed.

Gonna try under the floorboards and nagging thoughts next.

4x Sylvan Advocate
3x Olivia, Mobilized for War
3x Drana, Liberator of Malakir
4x Tireless Tracker
3x Duskwatch Recruiter
2x Sin Prodder
2x Nissa, Vastwood Seer
3x Catacomb Sifter
2x Liliana, Heretical Healer
2x Den Protector

4x Collected Company

2x Arlinn Kord
2x Chandra, Flamecaller

This is the best I could do to make Arlinn Kord work in a deck short of some tech I haven't notices yet. Still working on the mana base. Double Black may be troublesome, even by turn 3. Any ideas here?

Angry Grimace

It's also just a generally annoying deck to play against because "lol instant 6 mana of dudes who tap and bounce all of your guys" is a fucking stupid 4 mana instant speed thing to be able to do.

The worst part of it is that it legitimately pushes out pretty much every control strategy because Tireless Tracker and Duskwatch Recruiter both mean it will constantly fucking have more and more cards. You routinely get outvalued even while playing multiple sweepers.

kirblar

It's also just a generally annoying deck to play against because "lol instant 6 mana of dudes who tap and bounce all of your guys" is a fucking stupid 4 mana instant speed thing to be able to do.

The worst part of it is that it legitimately pushes out pretty much every control strategy because Tireless Tracker means it will constantly fucking have more and more cards.
It's Faeries and Faeries would have received bans if it were around years later than it was (w/ SCG/GPs suddenly putting much more pressure on the formats.)

Angry Grimace

The problem with the deck is that there are simply not enough answers to Collected Company itself because they intentionally made hating on either graveyards of dudes you didn't pay for bad to enable wholly imaginary graveyard strategies in SOI block.

Ashodin

The worst part of it is that it legitimately pushes out pretty much every control strategy because Tireless Tracker and Duskwatch Recruiter both mean it will constantly fucking have more and more cards. You routinely get outvalued even while playing multiple sweepers.
I've actually been having success with 4 copies of Matter Reshaper and Hangarback Walkers + Radiant Flames. I wipe the board, get new permanents/draw cards in return while they get nothing. Then Hallowed Moonlight to blank CoCo.

Yeef

Why don't they reprint stuff

because all the shit you care about being reprinted was busted nonsense

hence why they reprinted Thoughtseize and everyone fucking whined for 2 years
Most of the cards I want reprinted are cube cards and random casual cards that aren't really playable, but have a lot of casual appeal, so have a higher price tag than I'm willing to pay. Cards like Maelstrom Archangel and Glimpse the Unthinkable. Either category is prime for printing in supplemental sets as far as I'm concerned. I don't have any interest in paying $30 for a card that doesn't really do anything.

There are some competitive cards that I can see showing up in Standard and without really causing any huge issues. Serum Visions or Maelstrom Pulse, for example.

Okay, I've decided to just push Graveblade Marauder as the card to beat in the twitch chat whenever I get bored now. The reactions are always thoroughly confused. Try it.

Santiako

So apparently I bought a Modern Masters 1 boosters a couple of days ago and it just showed up at work (I got a Progenitus and a foil Frogmite).

Don't drink and browse magic stores (could've been worse).

Angry Grimace

So apparently I bought a Modern Masters 1 boosters a couple of days ago and it just showed up at work (I got a Progenitus and a foil Frogmite).

Don't drink and browse magic stores (could've been worse).

MM1 is weird. There's several bulk mythics but the value at rare and uncommon is through the roof. That was a WAY better way to do it than the MM2015 bullshit where "money = mythic."

El Topo

G/B seemed interesting in (my own) testing, but I'm not sold on Cryptolith Rite. Anything beyond the first copy is dead weight.

El Topo

Activating Duskwatch Recruiter multiple times on your opponents endstep or before you sac everything to Husk sounds pretty hot to me.

No doubt. If it's good, it's really good. Nice with Westvale Abbey as well. Nets you a mana dork every turn.
The problem is that CR is a card you really only want to draw once in the game. Also no synergy with the 2/1 mana dork.

Gotta admit though, an Aristocrats take is something I hadn't even thought of.

bigkrev

Seasons Past is officially bought out. There is 1 copy of the card under $10 on TCGPlayer right now
I bought my set from Green Lake Games on Amazon, hope they ship. I've never had problems with them before.

mono white humans is weird, unlike RDW it has no way to push through the last bits of damage if you manage the board. They don't even play Avacyn for some hasty attacks.

Apparently I'm permabanned from the magic chat, maybe from making fun of efro during VSL

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201628788]We hit anything yet? I'm watching with the sound off while I work.[/QUOTE]

We've gotten close on the Deathmist one. Kiblar's been featured and he's X-2 already so I imagine that's a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom