• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodofWine

Ideal situation for me:

North Jersey down to Trenton gets hammered, state shuts down. Southern NJ stays clear, kids have school.

Happened once like that year, I got a dusting, my office in Trenton got buried 20 miles away.

Mully

Latest GFS run continues with the western solution. In fact, the system stalls over the region for an extended period of time according to the 0Z GFS run.

980MB 200 miles SE of Montauk.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_10.png

Getting closer to confirming a storm. the 12z runs tomorrow should definitely spell it out and that's when we'll start to see some watches and warnings go up.

Mully

Getting closer to confirming a storm. the 12z runs tomorrow should definitely spell it out and that's when we'll start to see some watches and warnings go up.

Yeah I was surprised to see that Upton already increased their totals after the 12z Euro today. Normally they're a bit conservative, but given the unconventional setup I guess they wanted to be a bit bullish.

Yeah I was surprised to see that Upton already increased their totals after the 12z Euro today. Normally they're a bit conservative, but given the unconventional setup I guess they wanted to be a bit bullish.

Mt. Holly is still being super conservative with the storm right now. Curious as to what they are going to say after this run and whenever we end up getting the euro in (i think 2 am-ish?)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
7 News in Boston is calling it a blizzard; widespread 16-24 inches; Monday night through Wednesday morning. At least it'll be fluffy snow.

Good thing they have surveillance systems everywhere, they were able to see this coming in advance.

Seriously fuck our government.

How many billions spent on illegal NSA surveillance, but we have to look at European models because the shitty American one can't see 36 hours out?

Mully

GGEM came out with some insane numbers. I'm not even going to bother posting them since it's so far out, but fuck I just felt like a 10 year old again.

From what I am reading of the models this looks quite insane near Boston. Also, in the next 9 days all of new england new york sees an insane blast of cold bringing temps reallly low after this storm.

Mully

The storm stalls according to the most recent Euro run. A blizzard stalls over the east coast for nearly a day straight. I'm pretty speechless, but I'm slightly worried that the storm will underperform. Not all the models are in agreement just yet, but the global ones are all saying heavy snow along the I-95 corridor from Philadelphia to Boston. I'd temper enthusiasm until tomorrow night's run right now, but it's hard not to marvel at this run.

ecmwf_T850_neus_4.png

Also, there are accumulation maps running around according to this run, but I feel like it would be unfair to put those up here right now. We're still two days out and a lot can change.

Mully

I put up a better image, but according to the latest EURO model run, the storm even has a warm seclusion run. Essentially this cold core storm could have an eye like a hurricane.

The euro had been showing 24+ inches in NYC and Boston metro and the midnight run confirmed it.

I expect the American models will wake up to this by the time I wake up

All praise euro

24 inches? I'm staying home confirmed.

I've got my snow day planned out already.

Even better, snow might not stop falling until Tuesday, so Monday might be a total cancel and Tuesday a noon start.

And there's a potential Friday storm as well

Mully

Even better, snow might not stop falling until Tuesday, so Monday might be a total cancel and Tuesday a noon start.

The storm should begin around 10PM Monday, and possibly stick around until 6-10AM Wednesday.

The snow totals are like mentioning voldemort's name because they are so insane. I feel the power even.

I refuse to put them up because they're up there, and putting up such high numbers may cause a panic. All I will say is that they're record numbers according to some of the forecasts and I would seriously think about stocking up the fridge as if you can't leave the house for at least four days. It's that type of event and if the models continue to verify prepare to be legitimately snowed in.

If by 12PM tomorrow, we continue to see these numbers verified, I'll put them up. If anyone else wants to put them up earlier that's fine, but right now just know the storm could be absolutely historic (#1 historic) and act accordingly if the models continue to verify.

if you guys want accurate weather reports this guy is pretty good. I follow him on a Jets forum i visit, and he finally made his own site after 5 years of convincing.

http://jaysweather.net/

It's weather for the tri state area. He's pretty much right on the money most of the time.

MattyG

Banned
Looks like my area is in the very vague 6-12 range. I'm kind of hoping we get a ton, only because I'd love for my Tuesday classes to be cancelled.

Apparently I'm actually in a 12-18 inch area (southern Maine). This outta be interesting. At least it won't be like the 42 inch storm a couple years ago.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I'm going to spend it watching the movie Snow Day.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web

The latest Euro run.
Never seen anything like it. Doubt we get that much, but even half will be a historic storm for NYC.

Edit: looks like it's on the Jaysweather site. Great link.

Mully

if you guys want accurate weather reports this guy is pretty good. I follow him on a Jets forum i visit, and he finally made his own site after 5 years of convincing.

http://jaysweather.net/

It's weather for the tri state area. He's pretty much right on the money most of the time.

The guy puts stuff in all caps and really doesn't think about what he's doing. It's okay to be a weather fan, I'm one, but this guy should realize he's informing the public; most of whom don't understand weather models, but do understand numbers. So if they hear a very high number, even though it's projected, they'll begin to panic or worse 100% believe the projection and mistrust the forecasts next time a major storm is projected to reach the area.

Also posting that map for one forecast run is probably not a good idea. It's fine that you did, but understand that it was just one forecast run and not an official forecast.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
The guy puts stuff in all caps and really doesn't think about what he's doing. It's okay to be a weather fan, I'm one, but this guy should realize he's informing the public; most of whom don't understand weather models, but do understand numbers. So if they hear a very high number, even though it's projected, they'll begin to panic or worse 100% believe the projection and mistrust the forecasts next time a major storm is projected to reach the area.

Also posting that map for one forecast run is probably not a good idea. It's fine that you did, but understand that it was just one forecast run and not an official forecast.

I posted it because it was the best model run I've ever seen. I know we won't reach those numbers (we might just get a few inches if the storm goes East or doesn't bomb quick enough), but that map is too cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom