• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTF

Ughhhh, was just saying after not getting a lot of snow yestersay, this winter has been great so far. Now we're getting 1ft+ tomorrow night into Tuesday...fuck you snow!

The 12z GFS is in.

The storm was weaker, took longer to intensify, and was a tick east of previous model runs yesterday. We'll see if the Euro continues that trend or it remains adamant of record snow across the NY metro and New England area in just a few hours.

Hmmm

Steven DiMartino @nynjpaweather · 12m 12 minutes ago
Everyone asking about the GFS, upper levels looks like ECMWF, surface off. Throwing out.

Diablos

my understanding is that it's not just a model we can just grab and use, significant equipment upgrades are necessary to get our systems up to speed with theirs.

To do that requires funding, which isn't something the current congress has any interest in.

edit: looks like this is actually happening, thanks to hurricane sandy.

http://www.wbur.org/npr/375544023/noaa-to-upgrade-its-computer-driven-weather-forecasts
It's pretty embarrassing when Europe is doing superior forecasting our our behalf.

Thanks GOP! But at least NOAA is finding a way. Still ridiculous it is taking so long.

12Z NAM. Up to about 30 inches in places.

nam4km_asnow_eus_21.png

Mully

The NWS is not sold on the 30" totals being predicted by some of the models here. They believe the models are having a difficult time realistically creating the storm as it intensifies and overcompensating on the snow totals because of it.

Someone may get 30" out of this, but some things like a negative NAO are not there which makes me suspicious that the models are overamping the storm somehow.

esms

Chester County reporting in here....Yup, I thought we'd miss it but now it slowly appears we are getting hit pretty hard

The worst part about storms like these is the snow removal. I don't know about the burbs, but the city sucks at actually moving it out of the way.

Steven DiMartino @nynjpaweather · 13m 13 minutes ago
That upper level low MUST form by 3 AM Tuesday to keep the low close to the coast, the forecast busts. Simple as that.

Steven DiMartino @nynjpaweather · 12m 12 minutes ago
Overall, I like where I am in this forecast. Heaviest snow clearly will be in CT and Long Island.

I'm up here in Exton. I think I'll drive into the office today to grab some stuff since it looks like I probably won't be in until Wednesday.

shit...small world. I live basically there with you.

The worst part about storms like these is the snow removal. I don't know about the burbs, but the city sucks at actually moving it out of the way.

some municipalities are good, others are horrible. last year was obviously rough for everyone, but typically my area isn't horrible with the major roads. it is all of the smaller, neighborhood roads that they take forever to clean

I'm up here in Exton. I think I'll drive into the office today to grab some stuff since it looks like I probably won't be in until Wednesday.

Wtf...I'm in Malvern, and the word is going around that we should start thinking about packing an overnight bag. Will probably be stuck here tomorrow.

Anecdotal, but a relative that works for the MTA got a call that pretty much everyone has to go in to work at 8PM tomorrow, and it might be be a day or two of overtime. Last time that call came in this far in advance was the 2010 December Blizzard.

Looks like NYC's preparing for the worst.

hythloday

I kinda wish i had studied meteorology in college...

i feel like a kid waiting for christmas at this point.

Oh god, me too. I studied history. If I could have a do-over I'd study meteorology in a heartbeat.

Searching "12z euro" on twitter has meteorologists tweeting that it just came out and holy shit and all that, but no pics or details yet. Aaaggh

Mully

Euro came further west and is wetter, which puts Philly and NNJ in play for high snow totals according to the meteorologists I follow.

Will post images when I can.

Oh god, me too. I studied history. If I could have a do-over I'd study meteorology in a heartbeat.

I did Computer Science. I guess I could brush up on high performance computing stuff and go for a masters and that'll be my ticket in.

Euro came further west and is wetter, which puts Philly and NNJ in play for high snow totals according to the meteorologists I follow.

#excitement

esms

So the above map may be accurate for the Philly area? 24 inches would shut down this city. Jesus.

jbug617

Banned
I hit up the grocery store this morning, surprise it wasn't more packed than it was. A lot of people grabbing water

esms

some municipalities are good, others are horrible. last year was obviously rough for everyone, but typically my area isn't horrible with the major roads. it is all of the smaller, neighborhood roads that they take forever to clean

It's funny to me because I was born and raised in the burbs of Boston. That city knew how to do snow removal.

Mully

A blizzard basically stalls for 24 hours 150 miles SE of Montauk and drops over 2ft of snow from CNJ to Boston.

This storm will be historic.

20pHWfp.jpg

Mully

I think it's safe to post snow maps now that we're just outside 24 hours before the flakes fall.

Expect light snow by 10AM tomorrow, and to find upwards of 2ft Wednesday morning when the nor'easter leaves the area. Heavy snow begins around 9PM tomorrow.

oiOgRtX.jpg

Tendo

I'm confused by these predictions. I'll be driving home from Philly at 1130 tonight. Will I be in the thick of it or the start?

Kinda sad that we aren't getting any of this blizzard here in Cleveland. Been way too know by since we've had a good monster snow storm.

Mully

I'm confused by these predictions. I'll be driving home from Philly at 1130 tonight. Will I be in the thick of it or the start?
It doesn't start til 10AM Monday morning in. The heavy stuff is not hitting the area til 7PM Monday evening. 10PM-12AM for cities further north.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yo I'm in Maryland, need me a snow day. No way I'm going in to the office on Tuesday if this shit is going all the way through Wednesday. At the very least I'll go in on Monday and see how early I have to leave depending on the accumulation.

I know this is a northeast thread but do any weathergaf gurus think Maryland will be getting a piece of this? In MD we shut down for damn near everything unlike north of here.

No, tonight is just flurries

Is there a donation page for EURO?

They're the real MVP

Expect the media to roll out the sirens within the hour.

I'm heading to Sears for snow boots right now

Mully

Yo I'm in Maryland, need me a snow day. No way I'm going in to the office on Tuesday if this shit is going all the way through Wednesday. At the very least I'll go in on Monday and see how early I have to leave depending on the accumulation.

I know this is a northeast thread but do any weathergaf gurus think Maryland will be getting a piece of this? In MD we shut down for damn near everything unlike north of here.

Maryland could see a few inches from the clipper before it transitions into a nor'easter as it moves up the coast.

esms

No, tonight is just flurries

Is there a donation page for EURO?

They're the real MVP

Expect the media to roll out the sirens within the hour.

I'm heading to Sears for snow boots right now

I just remembered all I have is left overs. Gotta go get food ASAP.

BlindRage

So MD looking at 6 inches or so? Is that worse case or we will get at least that and maybe more?

^^^Yeah, they are saying clipper tonight will lay some snow and then tomorrow more snow?

Salaadin

I live in Hazleton, Pa but have to drive to Easton tomorrow morning. We're projected to get around 8 to 11 inches. Hoping it starts later at night Monday because I'll be driving home around 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom