• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griss

that's not good, if was their fault they can try to destroy it

If it was a surface to air missile travelling over 10km into the sky I'm sure the US or European nations have ways of monitoring that. Everyone knows what's happening in Ukraine, the military eyes of the world are firmly trained there. I think people will know what happened without needing the black boxes. Of course, I'm no expert.

Ding II

Yeah, certainly. Such a reckless behaviour can't go without consequences
Oh, I expect to hear some strongly worded condemnations. Strongly. Maybe even a resolution or two to that effect. After all, we all remember the vast repercussions that occurred after the US and the Soviet Union shot down civilian airliners.

Right?

F!ReW!Re

How can you make such a mistake that you accidentaly shoot down a massive civilian aircraft? what kind of backwoods shit are they using that they can't spot the difference?

- Poorly trained (by Russia) seperatists, get to use hardware that they can't handle and they feel like they're awesome.

- No tight command structure / discipline.

- They thought it was a Ukrainian military transport...

CrunchyB

I'd be hugely surprised if there were 23 Yanks on board. Sounds to me like someone is trying to get the Americans wound up. Most likely full of Asians and Europeans and maybe a few Aussies (transferring home via KL).

Yeah, sounds unlikely. Source was from the Ukraine, how could they even know?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Separatists are in possession of the black box, according to Twitter.

Great.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but a black box might be pretty useless when you're hit by a missile and the fucking plane explode, there's nothing that had time to be recorded in there.

Azulsky

I'm confused how some of those bodies arent burnt up? you can clearly see their clothes etc are fine. I seen the fireball video.

I wish I didnt click that live stream.

RIP

Warhead may detonate in proximity to the aircraft so that it screws up control surfaces. This would cause it to break up mid air and you see the debris scattered like this instead of being a scorched hole in the ground.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'd be hugely surprised if there were 23 Yanks on board. Sounds to me like someone is trying to get the Americans wound up. Most likely full of Asians and Europeans and maybe a few Aussies (transferring home via KL).

Trying to get Americans wound up? Not like we are going to invade without confirming.

eot

Banned
that's not good, if was their fault they can try to destroy it

I don't see what good the black box could do. It's not like airliners carry sensors that detect ground-to-air threats and they're not going to convince anyone that the plane just magically came apart mid flight.

Xcellere

It was reported by Reuters, about as strong a source as there is.

F!ReW!Re

I saw him opening a few passports and browsing them including names, photos, I've seen quite some shocking material on the internet, but this was on a whole other level for me.

Seriously the link isn't just nsfw, it's really heavy material IMO.

Yeah I've been watching as well.
I don't think Western media would allow a reporter to do that shit.

Seeing all the passports opened and seeing all those kids is heartbreaking.

It was reported by Reuters, about as strong a source as there is.

The flight manifest lists 23 Americans, but as air disasters have shown before, pre-boarding manifests are unreliable.

ITV News has reported, according to sources at Malaysia Airlines, there were nine British passengers on board.

Quite a multinational flight.

Spineker

Banned
Correct me if i'm wrong, but a black box might be pretty useless when you're hit by a missile and the fucking plane explode, there's nothing that had time to be recorded in there.

The black box keeps a record of more than just recordings in the cockpit. It records the status of components of the plane, air pressure in the cabin, altitude etc. All crucial details to an investigation.

Cse

Banned
Who is going to be responsible for investigating this?

Ukraine? Russia?

If Ukraine insists that they're taking over the investigation, do people really expect Russia to simply let them perform an unencumbered investigation?

Tugatrix

I don't see what good the black box could do. It's not like airliners carry sensors that detect ground-to-air threats and they're not going to convince anyone that the plane just magically came apart mid flight.

they can give the altitude and position of the plane when was hit

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
None of you will do this but now is probably a good time to turn twitter and cable news off. The reactionary stuff is so bad for your health.

/flips the news back on

Akai__

CNN saying, that the plane took possibly an other route, because of the weather. :'(

I'm still in shock. Thoughts and prayers go out to all people, who are affected.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Who is going to be responsible for investigating this?

Ukraine? Russia?

If Ukraine insists that they're taking over the investigation, do people really expect Russia to simply let them perform an unencumbered investigation?

Ukrainian airspace, wreckage in Ukraine, "Ukrainian" rebels. How would Russia claim authority to investigate this?

Morat

Banned

While I doubt they would have sensors for that particular purpose, I imagine you would be able to tell a lot from the data in hand: i.e sudden loss of pressure/control as plane breaks apart from a missile, vs some kind of power loss or other accidental reason or a crash

KHarvey16

It's very unlikely some information, even if it's brief, wouldn't be recorded.

mcz117chief

I don't even know if I want to this to escalate or not. On one hand I want some people to get involved to prevent things like this from happening. On the other I don't want too many people to get involved or it might escalate waaay to much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom