• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spineker

Banned
Obama is speaking on Al Jazeera

EDIT: Welp, that was brief. Obama being very careful with his public comments. Looks like the U.S government thinks Russia has a lot to do with it.

Roland1979

Correct me if i'm wrong, but a black box might be pretty useless when you're hit by a missile and the fucking plane explode, there's nothing that had time to be recorded in there.

Recording nothing is also saying a lot. It crosses of a awful lot it can't be. Since almost all disasters causes a lot of information to be registered.

they can give the altitude and position of the plane when was hit

They are also going to want to hear if the cabin crew spoke anything and what it was in those last seconds.

While I doubt they would have sensors for that particular purpose, I imagine you would be able to tell a lot from the data in hand: i.e sudden loss of pressure/control as plane breaks apart from a missile, vs some kind of power loss or other accidental reason or a crash

Any information is extremely valuable. Any information is more then no information. They will want that black box.

MIMIC

Banned
Very brief comments from Obama; says they're working to determine if Americans were on board, as well as thoughts and prayers for all those killed.

LQX

Wow. Sadly, nothing at all will happen to Russia even if they are the main cause of it. R.I.P to all.

Savitar

Not the kind of news you want to wake up too.

300 people dead, for something they had no part of nor wanted.

The whole fighting going on was a farce before, so what does this make it?!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Give us a theory connecting them.

Correlation causation what are they?
Calm down, I wasn't trying to suggest anything, was just reading about possible causes for the disappearance of the other plane a day or two ago, and now saw the headline. Without reading more about the incident today, my gut reaction was that being the same airline possibly implies a connection.

I understand now that the circumstances were completely different.

JCizzle

From what I understand, they were on a call at the time. Putin just brought it up, in a 'this just in' fashion.

On that call they were discussing the sanctions and Obama saying how displeased he was over evidence of Russia giving them heavy weapons. Ugh.

Dr.Acula

Banned
AFAIK don't planes communicate with control over land pretty much constantly? Aren't black boxes more for recording over the ocean/in the event of a communications failure? Plus what info can it send after it's hit by a missile?

There's no doubt this thing was downed by a missile.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
From what I understand, they were on a call at the time. Putin just brought it up, in a 'this just in' fashion.

What, did they ask the guy who presented the safety minute at the beginning of the call? How do people know this?

lemmykoopa

I took that plane from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur about one year ago. Gives me the creeps thinking about it.

Rip to all those innocent people :-(

Ding II

Technically that is just the launcher. Pretty useless without the other vehicles needed to complete the "system", the radar and the fire control vehicle.
Technically, that's a transporter erector launcher and radar (TELAR) vehicle. (Note the radar dome in the picture.) Such vehicles are typically capable of engaging targets without any external support. (Although such support increases their effectiveness.)

It is interesting to speculate about whether the rebels were using a "untethered" launcher, and if that might partially explain why they seemingly did such a poor job of target identification. (I'm assuming that they didn't purposely shoot at a civilian airliner.)

Obama going back into his stump.

Hasn't commented on American lives other than to say it was a "possibility."

Because it's not wise to announce that American lives have been lost when

A) There might be the slight possibility it isn't true.

B) You haven't informed the families yet.

As bad as Russia is, I wouldn't think this is something they would actually do themselves.

It sounds more like some pro-Russian rebels in Ukraine with Russian supplied missiles attacked the aircraft.

Russia is still responsible, but I don't think they are so stupid to be directly.

kirblar

As bad as Russia is, I wouldn't think this is something they would actually do themselves.

It sounds more like some pro-Russian rebels in Ukraine with Russian supplied missiles attacked the aircraft.

Russia is still responsible, but I don't think they are so stupid to be directly.
Oh, clearly. They're aware of just how dumb and bad this is for them.

Loud Hawk

Neo Member
Technically, that's a transporter erector launcher and radar (TELAR) vehicle. (Note the radar dome in the picture.) Such vehicles are typically capable of engaging targets without any external support. (Although such support increases their effectiveness.)

It is interesting to speculate about whether the rebels were using a "untethered" launcher, and if that might partially explain why they seemingly did such a poor job of target identification. (I'm assuming that they didn't purposely shoot at a civilian airliner.)

I would say that the use of an untethered launcher is pretty likely. It would be hard for them to acquire and set up and entire system. It would also be a lot easier to "accidentally" hit the wrong target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom