• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC said:
A tweet (in Russian) from a key Twitter account used by pro-Russian separatists, in which they claim to have captured a Buk surface-to-air missile system, has now been deleted, BBC Monitoring observes. Ukrainians say the Malaysian plane could have been downed with a Buk, but pro-Russian rebels have now denied they have it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
300 people lost because of a war they had no part in. This is just...fuck everything man. Just fuck everything. Of course it was the fucking seperatist, can't wait for the conspiracy theorists to question that.

Dreaver

Yeah I've been watching as well.
I don't think Western media would allow a reporter to do that shit.

Seeing all the passports opened and seeing all those kids is heartbreaking.

Is it [the stream] a (official) Russian news channel or just some unofficial Russian site like Liveleaks?

RedShift

I doubt the separatists having the black box would help them anyway. The eyes of the world were on that region anyway, especially as Russia allegedly shot down a Ukrainian jet there yesterday or whatever. Whoever shot it down won't get away with it.

eot

Banned
If it was a surface to air missile travelling over 10km into the sky I'm sure the US or European nations have ways of monitoring that. Everyone knows what's happening in Ukraine, the military eyes of the world are firmly trained there. I think people will know what happened without needing the black boxes. Of course, I'm no expert.

It's not that simple to detect them. Unless you're the target you have to see the launch / burn stage visually. There will be a small smoke trail, but that dissipates quickly.

Cse

Banned
Ukrainian airspace, wreckage in Ukraine, "Ukrainian" rebels. How would Russia claim authority to investigate this?

In Eastern Ukraine, no? Near the Russian border?

Russian troops and pro-Russian separatists have occupied this territory for months now, haven't they?

From that Mashable link

RT also reports that Putin informed U.S. President Barack Obama about the crash immediately by phone, on the basis of air controller data.

Putin making the call to Obama speak volumes.

Yes, it does. They're already feeling those sanctions...and with Americans on board a flight that may have been shot down by rebel forces allied with Russia...it's in his nation's best interest to be well ahead of this.

Sky Chief

Does anyone have a link to a stream from a reputable news organization where I can watch coverage of this. I don't have cable so CNNx does not work.

If it is true that seperatists have taken the black box that is both illegal (obviously) and an admittance of guilt. Whether they have taken it is another thing. Usually investigators from the country it crashed in, the plane owners and the plane manufacturers are involved with the investigation. I wonder how that will be organised in this conflict ridden part of the world?

Dr.Acula

Banned
In Eastern Ukraine, no? Near the Russian border?

Russian troops and pro-Russian separatists have occupied this territory for months now, haven't they?

Officially there are no Russian troops, and officially it it not occupied. Officially they are Ukrainians who wish to separate democratically and "rejoin" Russia.

LNBL

Ukranian flight control saying the Airplane did not act strange or deviate from it's flightpath, until it suddenly crashed

From that Mashable link

RT also reports that Putin informed U.S. President Barack Obama about the crash immediately by phone, on the basis of air controller data.

Putin making the call to Obama speak volumes.
That isn't totally accurate as on CNN they were reporting Putin was already talking to Obama about the Ukraine situation when he mentioned hearing reports of the crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom