• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyPhree

Fox just showed a video of what might be the plane hitting the ground and exploding. No smoke trail in the sky. Seems to be the missle clipped part of the plane and didn't damage the fuselage.

Discretion is not in their vocabulary, true.

The "experts" on gaf aren't any better. In fact they're worse.

You have a fair point there.

It's the same expert

Sounds like it's time to disregard CNN today.

Agreed, keep in mind that this is the same station that entertained someone's theory that a black hole swallowed that earlier Malaysian airflight.

Can't believe that we've entered a situation where saying "earlier Malaysian airflight" would be necessary, oh my god.

No one predicted a ground to air missile to hit the same airliner.

Loud Hawk

Neo Member
An expert on CNN just said there's no way the plane was shot down. Could this be the Ukrainians and Malaysian Airlines taking advantage of a regular plane crash?

From what I have seen, the plane fell out of the sky like a brick shithouse, already in pieces before impact. Unless it was a catastrophic mid-air breakup like China Airlines Flight 611
which is unlikely, it was hit by something.

Sayter

Bloomberg reporting rebels have black boxes and want to turn them over to Moscow. Moscow is asking Ukraine for permission to enter country with an emergency response team. The UK is asking for a UN security council meeting to be held ASAP.

Zaph

Sir Andrew Wood (former British ambassador for Russia) putting down the facts plainly on BBC. Not looking good for Putin.

Guy.brush

Bloomberg reporting rebels have black boxes and want to turn them over to Moscow. Moscow is asking Ukraine for permission to enter country with an emergency response team. The UK is asking for a UN security council meeting to be held ASAP.

Right. EMERGENCY COVER OUR ASSES TEAM is more like it.

Nicktendo86

Fox just showed a video of what might be the plane hitting the ground and exploding. No smoke trail in the sky. Seems to be the missle clipped part of the plane and didn't damage the fuselage.
This is horrifying to think, but possible the plane hit pretty intact so passengers were aware of what was happening? Would explain why bodies are found strapped to seats.

I feel sick.

Hahahaha.

Oh my fucking sides.

commedieu

Banned
The issue is that there a good chance important clues are being "scrubbed" as we speak. I am afraid we may never know the full truth of this.

Right, therres no way anyone is going to get their hands on non-compromised material. You could chemically check for whatever signature the explosives have but I doubt that will get in the hand of a competent lab.

Russian lab is of course going to say it just blew up due to reasons.

Terra

This sounds like the intro of a Call of Duty game.

Not really appropriate. But when I heard about the incident, this is what warped through my mind:

"After the end of World War 2, the world was split into two; East and West."

On topic: All those reports are making me dizzy. I should go get some sleep and hope that clarity ensues.

Morat

Banned
This is horrifying to think, but possible the plane hit pretty intact so passengers were aware of what was happening? Would explain why bodies are found strapped to seats.

I feel sick.

Many passengers on the Lockerbie flight were found still strapped in, and that broke up in mid air. I don't really want to think about the thought processes of a human being in that situation.

Uzzy

Many passengers on the Lockerbie flight were found still strapped in, and that broke up in mid air. I don't really want to think about the thought processes of a human being in that situation.

I've read thoughts that the sudden explosive decompression would knock people out.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This can't even be a question right? Why would Ukraine shoot down a jet? As far as I know the seperatist don't have jets, so why would they just asume this is an enemy jet and shoot it down?

Just catching up on the news and was scrolling through twitter only to come across a horrific image of an individual still strapped in to their seat. Just detestable.

Megasoum

Banned

It's crazy how fragile life is compared to the body that carries it.

According to Russian mass media terrorists does not possessing any type of AA. And that airplane was destroyed by Ukrainian air force or Ukrainian AA Buk. Terrorists doesn't have Buk... Oh wait:

640x480.jpg

400x604.jpg

https://translate.google.com/transl...m/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/1325289&edit-text=

Holy shit! Just got home from work, seen the thread title and thought it was a joke about the missing Malaysian flight. Can't believe the rebels have shot down a commercial aircraft. Crazy.

Sayter

This can't even be a question right? Why would Ukraine shoot down a jet? As far as I know the seperatist don't have jets, so why would they just asume this is an enemy jet and shoot it down?

At this point I don't believe anyone is blaming the Ukraine. But the facts are still loosely based on who did what. Stay tuned.

Jayof9s

You're supposed to keep your seat belt fastened any time you're sitting in your seat, even while the sign is not illuminated. I'm sure some people don't follow this, but I would expect a good number of people to be strapped in even if it was a completely unexpected event with 0 reaction time.

The guy on CNN is calling the lack of a smoke trail leading to the impact suspect.
If this is the video where you start to see smoke rising in the distance, I'm not sure how useful that is - can you actually see the plane? I couldn't see shit. The impact may have already occurred as the video begins, and we see the smoke only once it reaches a certain height that is visible from the camera's position.

Morat

Banned
You're supposed to keep your seat belt fastened any time you're sitting in your seat, even while the sign is not illuminated. I'm sure some people don't follow this, but I would expect a good number of people to be strapped in even if it was a completely unexpected event with 0 reaction time.

Exactly

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm gonna quit this thread, sooner or later some asshole is going to post those images here and I really don't want to see them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom