• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.
As bad as Russia is, I wouldn't think this is something they would actually do themselves.

It sounds more like some pro-Russian rebels in Ukraine with Russian supplied missiles attacked the aircraft.

Russia is still responsible, but I don't think they are so stupid to be directly.

Yea, anyone who thinks Russia actually wanted this need to get their heads on straight. This is probably the worst thing that could have happened. Like another poster said, the rebels have just bit off more than they can chew, and they most likely won't have the backing of Russia after this fiasco.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The fighter jet goes down earlier and now the passenger plane. Basically in the same area... Yet we cant prove anything? I call BS...

I think it's pretty much proven at this point. Anyone out there (other than the rebels) saying it wasn't the rebels?

Ukrainian false flag/Russian military action are off the table.

MormaPope

Banned
Love the folks eager to attack russia.

MAD- literally.

As long as nukes exist there can't be a world war revolving around Russia vs. the United States. Some people don't understand that.

By "there can't" I mean there wouldn't be justice in a world war. Millions of innocent people would die. That isn't justice, that's instantaneous genocide.

Roland1979

AFAIK don't planes communicate with control over land pretty much constantly? Aren't black boxes more for recording over the ocean/in the event of a communications failure? Plus what info can it send after it's hit by a missile?

There's no doubt this thing was downed by a missile.

No. They send out a signal, if that's what you mean. But other then that there is little communication unless they are (about to) land or take off. Black boxes are always very very valuable. If it was hit by a missile and it was still somewhat operable the information is a goldmine. But everything points at the opposite. They might not find much on the black box, but you never know. And they will only know for sure if they have it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
No. They send out a signal, if that's what you mean. But other then that there is little communication unless they are (about to) land or take off. Black boxes are always very very valuable. If it was hit by a missile and it was still somewhat operable the information is a goldmine. But everything points at the opposite. They might not find much on the black box, but you never know. And they will only know for sure if they have it.

Ah, thx.

cafemomo

Ukrainian airspace now
4XgZCaH.jpg

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This is one of those news were I honestly rather don't read anything else about it cause it's just going to depress me further and further. Sometimes I wish I could litereally stick my head in some sand...

Cloudy

Banned
An expert on CNN just said there's no way the plane was shot down. Could this be the Ukrainians and Malaysian Airlines taking advantage of a regular plane crash?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
As long as nukes exist there can't be a world war revolving around Russia vs. the United States. Some people don't understand that.

Care to explain for the uninformed? Is it simply because the results would be catastrophic on all sides(ridiculous number of civilian deaths, radiation making multiple zones unhabitable for years) or is there something else?

Spineker

Banned
Care to explain for the uninformed? Is it simply because the results would be catastrophic on all sides(ridiculous number of civilian deaths, radiation making multiple zones unhabitable for years) or is there something else?

Mutually assured destruction.

3rdman

Love the folks eager to attack russia.

MAD- literally.

This is no Lusitania. This is a horrible and (likely) an honest mistake...Russia should be made to pay reparations to those killed but the last thing that would be of help would be an escalation of aggression.

MormaPope

Banned

The bolded.

A world war of that scale would probably be the end of modern humanity and possibly humanity.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Seems like Russia has been flexing its muscles more and more lately....
I have a feeling we are on the brink of World War 3.

I don't want to defend Russia but I doubt that's their doing. They really don't have any reason to shoot down a plane from the Netherlands to Malaysia. I mean they probably provided the tools for the attack but I wouldn't see that as "flexing it's muscles"

Morat

Banned

Essentially , the doctrine of mutually assured destruction says that neither (nuclear armed) side will start a war knowing it would lead to complete and utter annihilation of most of the biosphere. Not sure if I believe it though.

An expert on CNN just said there's no way the plane was shot down. Could this be the Ukrainians and Malaysian Airlines taking advantage of a regular plane crash?

I'd hold off before trusting any "experts" on CNN. I still remember the experts they brought in on the previous Malaysia Airlines crash.

The amount of nuclear weapons, radioactive fallout and number if cities destroyed would be a global catastrophe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom