• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Care to explain for the uninformed? Is it simply because the results would be catastrophic on all sides(ridiculous number of civilian deaths, radiation making multiple zones unhabitable for years) or is there something else?

He means there wouldn't be a "war", there would only be a few hours of global annihilation. We'll never see a conventional shooting war.

Guy.brush

How is this even a question that it was shot down by the separatists if their boss twittered on his page that he just shot down a transport plane and bolsted about it with "told you not to fly into our airspace"?

Is mainstream media not picking this up?

HoosTrax

Ukrainian airspace now
4XgZCaH.jpg
This one didn't get the memo?

Sayter

An expert on CNN just said there's no way the plane was shot down. Could this be the Ukrainians and Malaysian Airlines taking advantage of a regular plane crash?

Funny. On Bloomberg an expert on antiaircraft missle systems just said systems like the BUK could easily take down a passenger airliner.

JCizzle

Yea, anyone who thinks Russia actually wanted this need to get their heads on straight. This is probably the worst thing that could have happened. Like another poster said, the rebels have just bit off more than they can chew, and they most likely won't have the backing of Russia after this fiasco.

Absolutely agree that they didn't want it to happen. However, they're also responsible for giving the lunatics this powerful weapon. Especially if they just handed it over hours / days ago. There won't be a war or attacks on Russia over this (obviously), but probably some sort of harsher economic actions and increased pressure for them to get out of Ukraine.

Axial

Russian terrorists/separatists claim they found eight from the twelve black boxes. They want to hand over all of them to the russian Interstate Aviation Committee... so much for finding out truth about this incident.

MickeyPhree

How is this even a question that it was shot down by the separatists if their boss twittered on his page that he just shot down a transport plane and bolsted about it with "told you not to fly into our airspace"?

Foxnews has been talking about it. In fact, Shepard smith is again right now.

Loud Hawk

Neo Member
Welp Pro Russian separatists have the black box according to Fox News. And it's heading to Moscow.

So... they're going to tamper with it.

If it was shot down, the amount of tampering that you can do with the black box is limited.

The black box can tell you if it was a sudden break up, most likely caused by a missile. They can't exactly go and change the values from "Russian_Missile" to "Ukrainian_Missile".

If it was shot down, the amount of tampering that you can do with the black box is limited.

The black box can tell you if it was a sudden break up, most likely caused by a missile. They can't exactly go and change the values from "Russian_Missile" to "Ukrainian_Missile".

Idk how it works, but with today's technology... nothing would surprise me.

Will they even let the international community get view of the black box?

I'd hold off before trusting any "experts" on CNN. I still remember the experts they brought in on the previous Malaysia Airlines crash.

Agreed, keep in mind that this is the same station that entertained someone's theory that a black hole swallowed that earlier Malaysian airflight.

Can't believe that we've entered a situation where saying "earlier Malaysian airflight" would be necessary, oh my god.

As a Dutch guy, I never believed something like this to happen to a plane leaving Schiphol. People who had nothing to do with this stupid war (as all wars are) are now dead without anyone gaining anything.

It makes me sick and I hope the right people are punished, although no punishment can be handed out that makes up for this crime.

Let's hope this doesn't start a new WW, but I can't imagine nations are still stupid enough to do that (with the nukes and all).

Loud Hawk

Neo Member
Russian terrorists/separatists claim they found eight from the twelve black boxes. They want to hand over all of them to the russian Interstate Aviation Committee... so much for finding out truth about this incident.

8 out of 12? Unless I am mistaken Boeing 777's as well as most planes only have 2. A Cockpit Voice Recorder and a Flight Data Recorder.

Roland1979

An expert on CNN just said there's no way the plane was shot down. Could this be the Ukrainians and Malaysian Airlines taking advantage of a regular plane crash?

On a Dutch newscast they said that was very likely since it was extremely close to the Russian border (70km / 50miles). It fall out of the sky like a brick, in most cases a plane will glide for a while (engine failure for instance). It was so close if it would glide it would have landed in Russia most likely.

spekkeh

Banned
As a Dutch guy, I never believed something like this to happen to a plane leaving Schiphol. People who had nothing to do with this stupid war (as all wars are) are now dead without anyone gaining anything.

Clearly you forgot about national hero Jasper Schuringa.

Verger

Banned
Official Russian statement (found on http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/17/malaysia-airlines-plane-crashes-ukraine-live):

President Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov has called allegations that Russia was involved in the downing of MH17 "stupidity", Alec Luhn reports for the Guardian.

Reached by the Guardian on Thursday evening, president Vladimir Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov called allegations that Russia had been involved in the downing of MH17 “stupidity”.

Ukraine's foreign ministry had reportedly said it would present evidence that Russia was involved in the crash. Peskov said that the Kremlin would not make a further statement on the tragedy because “no one knows” who is responsible.

Asked about the possibility of further US sanctions in light of this bloody development in the conflict in eastern Ukraine, Peskov said he could not rule it out.

“The United States has recently been conducting a very non-constructive policy, and their actions are very unpredictable,” he said.

LNBL

According to Ukrainian flight control the airplane did not display any strange movements and neither did it deviate from its flight path, it just suddenly crashed down.

MickeyPhree

From what I've seen, FOX news' straight news segments are actually somewhat decent. Its the opinion stuff that has all the ridiculous stuff.

This. They have been very good at reporting this disaster right now. They did have a screamer on here Alittle while ago trying to bash Obama.

Christ this is horrible. Holy shit. I'm going to have to avoid social media for awhile to avoid pictures of the bodies aren't I?

Read through the whole thread and I agree this most likely won't escalate to war between the super powers. It'd have to get a whole lot worse for that to happen.

Interfax stating that Ukraine may have been trying to shoot down Putin's plane according to an unidentified person in Russia's aviation service.

Guy.brush

Why would the separatists even go on a black box hunt if they are not covering this up?

They bolstered about a downed cargo plane (about the size of a civilian flight).
They had gotten Russian anti-air missiles capable of shooting planes like this down.
They probably got wind what they had done when they discovered the first pieces or were told by Russian military.
They then went into a hunt for the black boxes to hand them over to their Russian friends to cover this whole thing up for them.

Seems very clear what is going on.

3rdman

If it was a missile that brought it down, there will be physical evidence (explosives materials, shrapnel, electronics, etc) that would prove it. If that ends up being the case, the contents of the black box will be inconsequential.

jediyoshi

And this is why outlets source Tweets as news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom