• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Its heartbreaking because its dark and he didnt know and some rebels are shining flashlights and he's just seeing it for the first time.

I really feel for these people and their families.

Definitely, moreover as much as I'd like to hear about it now. The 24hr news cycle will be going on all cylinders trying to pull whatever scraps they can out of anyone and everyone. Families, friends, etc. That I find equally disgusting, but shock sells I guess.

I am curious as to how the world will react now that we have our fingers on the pulse of world news with something as simple as a phone. There have been incidents like this in the past, but now the word is traveling fast to all parts of the globe. Crazy stuff.

Raistlin

1u2L0.gif

For some reason I had put it past Fox News to bring petty politics into this. Fuck me.
Seriously, I was fully expecting Republicans and Fox News to play this hand the moment I heard it was shot down :\

AirBrian

Is the Pentagon confirming the Ukrainian fighter jet was shot down by Russia? Or the Malaysia jet? Big difference here and I hope we're not mixing up the two.

Sigmaah

probs not with russia but just war in general, crazy shit just keeps happening and happening, so someone will finally do something absolutely ridiculous and after that, I fear the worst.

I'm probably just buggin tho.

Oersted

Even if the missile did not come from Russia, the Russians are still responsible. They supplied the seperatists with surface to air missiles, run of the mill rebels around the world can't get access to gear like that.

Russo is directly repsonibe for everything that has happened, flooding the area with weapons and paramilitaries has only caused the conflict to grow. I hope the world reacts and does something.

And USA is directly responsible for Taliban/ Al Qaeda etc attacks like 9/11?

Is it coming from the Pentagon directly or is it traveling through the twitter vine?

I don't know but with CNN commenting on it and pentagon reporters on twitter commenting it which leads me to believe they'll comment publicly soon. And they wouldn't unless they have proof and you don't say you have proof unless you're going to show it.

Zaph

More Andrew Wood insights just now:

• There will now be massive international pressure on Moscow for a permanent resolution
  • Only possible resolution he thinks will be accepted is the return of land to Ukraine.

This plane may have just cost Russia Crimea control.

I don't know but with CNN commenting on it and pentagon reporters on twitter commenting it which leads me to believe they'll comment publicly soon. And they wouldn't unless they have proof and you don't say you have proof unless you're going to show it.

Who are these Pentagon reporters though? That Ray Pritchett guy? He doesn't appear to be a reporter.

Calm down, lol. It will most likely be some verbal fights being spouted from point A to point B for a few months and then it will all be forgotten again.

What? With who?

Russia would not deliberately shoot down a commercial airliner. There is nothing to gain. If anything, its seperatists, everyone will blame Russia indirectly, sanctions will increase. Nothing else.

No, economic sanctions is what is going to happen to Russia.

It's the 21'st century, you don't need a bomb to hurt a country.

Do more sanctions mean less vodka and more bears on unicycles for Russia ?

Volotaire

These situations are different because of where it happened, and what is happening there. You can't really compare airliners shot down by superpowers which no one wants to truly mess with, and a semi-amorphous group of separatists with a more limited power base.

It was more about the context of the situation, with the strain of relations between two powers in either case. I guess using the word stark was not appropriate on my part. Still, it's going to be fascinating what happens next in this conflict.

If Russia is behind this, how much of a chance is there to remove them from the UN Security Council permanent status?

This will never happen.

Mr.Mike

I don't know how far Europe will be willing to go with sanctions that would harm themselves as well. But hopefully they'll start to really take the work of eliminating any reliance on Russian oil seriously. And maybe France will decide to never deliver the warships it built for Russia.

0. They can veto their removal. That's the whole purpose of them being a permanent member. If they tried any other way the UN would collapse.
Not even a remote chance. Also I don't think you can remove a permanent member of the UN.
USA and the URSS shot down planes full of civilians during the Cold War, basically nothing happened.
Ugh. Carry on then.

This permanent member stuff is so dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom