• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakhir

Has there been any evidence that Russian/Russian Separatist shot this down? Besides word from a Ukrainian official? Like hard evidence? I pray for the lost souls.

I'm basing this on the information from the best Polish newspaper, Wyborcza.:
"at 15:50 Igor Striełkow, the leader of army of Donietcka Republika, said in the VKontakte service that in Toreza region [just where the airplane crashed] separatist forces destroyed Ukrainian transport aircraft An-26"

"We warned them, don't fly in our territory" - said Striełkow.
His post is already deleted.

At 16:13 Russian news agency RIA-Nowosti has sent a telegram from Donetsk with information from separatist leaders about shooting down the Antonow.
Not one Antonow was shot down today"

And from just a moment ago:
"Ukrainian Defence Force has said, that they interecepted a conversation between separatist confirming that they shot down the plane" - says Ukrainian Truth.
It's impossible right now to confirn this information.

Sorry for my botched translation.

EDIT: oh, so one Antonov was really destroyed today? Disregard the above then.

QFCvY9w.png

What. The. Fuck.

How can the Pentagon even confirm this? Hmm, I need more confirmation then just CNN. If the rocket actually came from Russian turf though...

Morat

Banned
Yeah, CNN talked about that a few times earlier. It's w/r/t the plane shot down the other day. Ukraine (and the US apparently) believe that missile came from across Russian border

So to be clear, the Pentagon report was about a previous incident in which a Ukraine military aircraft was shot down, as opposed to days airliner?

Rur0ni

That will be insane if they confirm that it came from Russian territory. I haven't seen any uncensored images, but I know it has to be terrible. Makes the stomach churn thinking about that, especially with kids.

I have images off on GAF.
If you're posting screenshots of Twitter stuff or news, label it as such. Otherwise, wary souls like me won't click it out of fear of seeing crash site photos.

RE: The Pentagon thing...this could escalate quickly.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Would someone please translate?

Don't quote me on that, but I'll try

"Just shot down a plane AN-26 in the region "Tores". Went down near Schachta. We told you not to fly here. Here is a video confirming the "kill". It went down behind the village, no civilians harmed"

Again, this is a VERY rough translation.

Anth1888

Surely if the Pentagon confirmed this officially it would be all over the international news channels not just 'sources' on American news channels.

How can the Pentagon even confirm this? Hmm, I need more confirmation then just CNN. If the rocket actually came from Russian turf though...

The Pentagon has to have eyes on the entire area 24 / 7 and could probably place a trajectory based on where it split up and where things landed.

that said I am still skeptical.

They're watching that area with lots of satellites, signals intelligence (NSA), human intelligence.

The Pentagon has to have eyes on the entire area 24 / 7 and could probably place a trajectory based on where it split up and where things landed.

that said I am still skeptical.

If the US has proof and is commenting publicly they will show it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So to be clear, the Pentagon report was about a previous incident in which a Ukraine military aircraft was shot down, as opposed to days airliner?

Yes, that is unrelated to this crash.

BUK rang is max 30 km and plane crashed around 50 km from Russian border

Well you would assume they are watching the area. The scheduled call today between Putin and Obama was about the Russian support for the separatist in the area.

Lamel

Banned
This is terrible. RIP.

And I'll go against the mold, even at 10,000 meters, major features of airplanes are often distinguishable. The size difference between and AN 26 and 777 as well as the jet engines vs prop engines are potentially distinguishable. Now whether someone was experienced enough to realize this is a different question all together.

funkypie

Banned
Even if the missile did not come from Russia, the Russians are still responsible. They supplied the seperatists with surface to air missiles, run of the mill rebels around the world can't get access to gear like that.

Russo is directly repsonibe for everything that has happened, flooding the area with weapons and paramilitaries has only caused the conflict to grow. I hope the world reacts and does something.

RedShift

Yes, that is unrelated to this crash.

BUK rang is max 30 km and plane crashed around 50 km from Russian border

Well feasibly it was shot down with something else with a longer range, or even by a plane.

I still highly doubt anything but the rebels shooting it down though.

Ferr986

Even if the missile did not come from Russia, the Russians are still responsible. They supplied the seperatists with surface to air missiles, run of the mill rebels around the world can't get access to gear like that.

Russo is directly repsonibe for everything that has happened, flooding the area with weapons and paramilitaries has only caused the conflict to grow. I hope the world reacts and does something.

Sadly, nothing is going to happen to Russia.

Fuck this, what a terrible tragedy done by some armed idiots...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom