• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha fucking CCN confirmed as using photos from different plane incident.

to be fair, I was watching when they aired it and it came when they were discussing other planes that had been downed by the rebels and their confiscation of the missile system that is alleged to have been used today. They didn't suggest that was footage of today's downed airliner. Though if someone tuned in and missed the intro to the video, they could be confused.

BsxGw0XIgAEHJIu.jpg

Flowers are being place by the Dutch embassy in Ukraine

High-res image here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121479415&postcount=1867

Just a few weeks back Russian media was bragging about how BUK systems would protect the Separatist skies in Donetsk region

http://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=1741703

whoops.

Sadist

Putin's comments look slightly more sane in context
No it's not.

It's damage control from the get go. "Hey everyone, I can't begin how sorry I am, but really, this would have never happened if the Ukraine didn't have this current conflict with Russia. Eh, what do you mean they were struck down by a missle shot by pro-Russian seperatists? Did we provide them with these weapons? Eeeeh... moment of silence please"

But the thing is, even though Putin is bullshitting everyone, nobody will do something because 1) The Netherlands (with sadly the most casualties) will roll over and accept Putin's apology and 2) The Netherlands are to dependant on Russian gass. Well, from a Dutch point of view that is.

And the Dutch-Russian political relations were already pretty bumpy.

Update on nationalities aboard the plane (confirmed so far):

Dutch: 154
Australian: 27
Malaysian: 23
Indonesian: 11
UK: 6
Germany: 4
Belgium: 4
Philippines: 3
Canadian: 1

Source Sky News/Spokesperson at Schiphol airport

I really need to get in touch with my cousin from Amsterdam she travels a lot...

Man RIP to all those innocent people :(

sirap

Jesus, my friend died on MH370. Now it seems like another person I know died on MH17 :/

EDIT: Yep, confirmed. She died.

What the fuck man.

Falcs

Banned
Far out. Makes me a little nervous. I'm flying to Malaysia tonight.

Edit: ^^ Shit, so sorry to hear that, man!

Red Comet

This is insane. Can't believe something like this has happened. Hopefully they get to the bottom of it. From what I've seen, the evidence suggests that the separatists thought it was a Ukrainian transport plane.

CrunchyB

But the thing is, even though Putin is bullshitting everyone, nobody will do something because 1) The Netherlands (with sadly the most casualties) will role over and accept Putin's apology and 2) The Netherlands are to dependant on Russian gass. Well, from a Dutch point of view that is.

And the Dutch-Russian political relations were already pretty bumpy.

Not so sure if we will roll over and we're not actually that dependent, we have our own gas supply after all.

Also, yeah, Dutch-Russian relations are fucked up.

antonz

Just a warning for people. Images of the site are starting to surface that contain the casualties and they are gruesome.

So much maths in this PDF. Prisitne, pls.

Hey, you don't have to do the problems or show your work.

Basically though, this science on this has been known for well over 50 years, and is common knowledge.

If you are "aiming" a radar-guided system at a conventional aircraft coming toward you or going away, the engine intakes and outlets produce the largest lock-on signature. If you are shooting an aircraft from the side, it's the large vertical tail section.

So somebody saying like "only a heat-seaking missile would go for the engine" simply has no idea what they are talking about. The science on this has been settled since the 1960s and has influenced military aircraft design for at least the last 35 years.

Some scary stuff going on here. If indeed it was separatists in Ukraine who shot this plane down, even if by mistake, I hope they are held responsible for it.

I'm worried by the general tone of the media coverage, though, like there's a trial and jury on the go, with the media playing the role of prosecuting Russia, bringing up every detail that might point to them, even though none of it is actually real evidence yet.

Also they try and blur the line between Russia and the separatists like they are the same thing, when in fact they're Ukranians. They're not solely Russia's creation, either, they are the direct result of the Western-backed 'government' that took Ukraine by force a few months ago and the resulting NATO expansion. What happened back then legitimately caused a schism in the country - and it's no surprise Russia would help the separatists when the West is helping Kiev and in fact helped them get in power.

I've been following that separatist news link someone posted a while back via shitty Chrome translation and the last post on there was how the rebels are denying responsibility but realize they're fucked as they prepare themselves to start fighting 'Americans and their capabilities'. Then talking about World War 3.

I find America vs Russia stuff legitimately scary. God help us if we're fully going down that path again.

SuperSah

Banned
Jesus, my friend died on MH370. Now it seems like another person I know died on MH17 :/

What the fuck man.

Jesus. I'm so sorry. Holy crap this burns. I can only imagine how you feel.

God bless, my condolences, this is deeply disturbing and I pray for the best for you.

Malaysia. Didn't hit me as hard as MH370, she was just a neighbor but damn...

sorry for your loss. I lived in Malaysia for 4 years I have a special place in my heart for it especially Kuching, I hope you, your family, friends and nation can get through these 2 tragedies.

my boss at work was mad because this airplane thing
as he called it, was making the stock market go down
and the market should not drop just because of this plane

cold

Sadist

Not so sure if we will roll over and we're not actually that dependent, we have our own gas supply after all.

Also, yeah, Dutch-Russian relations are fucked up.
Russia remains of the bigger supliers of gas don't they?

And seriously, Putin won't be able to fix this while drinking a beer with our king.

Edit: I'm sorry for your loss Sirap.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

What the fuck man.

I have no words. Just....fuck man. I'm sorry. I wish I could do more than just write some cliched, basically meaningless words on a forum but I can't. Stay strong

Hey, you don't have to do the problems or show your work.

Basically though, this science on this has been known for well over 50 years, and is common knowledge.

If you are "aiming" a radar-guided system at a conventional aircraft coming toward you or going away, the engine intakes and outlets produce the largest lock-on signature. If you are shooting an aircraft from the side, it's the large vertical tail section.

So somebody saying like "only a heat-seaking missile would go for the engine" simply has no idea what they are talking about. The science on this has been settled since the 1960s and has influenced military aircraft design for at least the last 35 years.

ooooh i see i see.

I'll probably need a youtube video of a simulation to really visualize it, but it makes sense enough. ty for the further insight.

Malaysia. Didn't hit me as hard as MH370, she was just a neighbor but damn...

holy shit bro.

antonz

Some scary stuff going on here. If indeed it was separatists in Ukraine who shot this plane down, even if by mistake, I hope they are held responsible for it.

I'm worried by the general tone of the media coverage, though, like there's a trial and jury on the go, with the media playing the role of prosecuting Russia, bringing up every detail that might point to them, even though none of it is actually real evidence yet.

Also they try and blur the line between Russia and the separatists like they are the same thing, when in fact they're Ukranians. They're not solely Russia's creation, either, they are the direct result of the Western-backed 'government' that took Ukraine by force a few months ago and the resulting NATO expansion. What happened back then legitimately caused a schism in the country - and it's no surprise Russia would help the separatists when the West is helping Kiev and in fact helped them get in power.

I've been following that separatist news link someone posted a while back via shitty Chrome translation and the last post on there was how the rebels are denying responsibility but realize they're fucked as they prepare themselves to start fighting 'Americans and their capabilities'. Then talking about World War 3.

I find America vs Russia stuff legitimately scary. God help us if we're fully going down that path again.

Strelkov and Gubarev both posted that they shot the plane down but thought it was another Ukrainian Transport plane. Once it was revealed to be civilian they tried to erase it all

Prax

What the fuck man.

... Many condolences to you and all the family and friends of theirs. This is terrible.
All of this conflict int he world is really depressing as innocents get caught in the crossfire.

sirap

Thanks for all your wishes guys. I'm pretty ok with death, I understand that shit happens. What I'm really sad about is all the families that lost their loved ones on these accidents. I can't even imagine losing someone like that, must feel like there's no justification to their deaths at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom