• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

aTTckr

Is it confirmed that there were Americans on the plane? If so, things could get really ugly, e.g. NATO in Ukraine and therefore right on the Russian border could get out of hand rather quickly.

Bollocks

I'm worried by the general tone of the media coverage, though, like there's a trial and jury on the go, with the media playing the role of prosecuting Russia, bringing up every detail that might point to them, even though none of it is actually real evidence yet.

Also they try and blur the line between Russia and the separatists like they are the same thing

Welcome to western propaganda, glad there are still people who don't fall for it and can make up their own mind.

Meadows

Banned
Is it confirmed that there were Americans on the plane? If so, things could get really ugly, e.g. NATO in Ukraine and therefore right on the Russian border could get out of hand rather quickly.

yes there were Americans, but no, Ukraine is not in NATO

Tex117

Banned

The Netherlands are in NATO...Russia could potentially have a huge problem if Western Europe decides they have had enough of this crap.

kess

So, reading between the lines he's basically confirming that Russian separatists or Russia itself shot the plane down and he's just deflecting blame.

It's pretty damn strange any way you slice it. The crash is Ukraine's responsibility... despite the Russian government's belief that the current Ukrainian government does not have legitimacy in the region the plane crashed in?

BsxOjX9IAAAfL12.png:large

Also they try and blur the line between Russia and the separatists like they are the same thing, when in fact they're Ukranians.

Just to clear something up, many (and possibly most) of the fighters are Russian, from Russia. The leader of the movement is a Russian military officer involved in Chechnya operations as well. And many of the fighters have been confirmed to be from Russia as well (check the Ukraine news thread for more details).

I am not saying there aren't Ukrainians involved, but the bulk of the movement has been pushed from Russia, including Russian gear, unmarked soldiers, etc.

CNN is saying Russian state-run television is saying that not only is this Ukraine's fault, but that the Ukraine was actively targeting Vladmir Putin's plane and missed, accidentally hitting this commercial plane instead.

Also, that Ukraine is crucifying children.

Such propaganda. Much wow.

Showaddy

That separatist leader who boasted about shooting down a military transport online which then turned out to be the passenger flight must be shitting an absolute brick right now. The whole world's after his moronic arse now.

Tex117

Banned
CNN is saying Russian state-run television is saying that not only is this Ukraine's fault, but that the Ukraine was actively targeting Vladmir Putin's plane and missed, accidentally hitting this commercial plane instead.

That is such a huge...EFFING HUGE claim.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Some scary stuff going on here. If indeed it was separatists in Ukraine who shot this plane down, even if by mistake, I hope they are held responsible for it.

I'm worried by the general tone of the media coverage, though, like there's a trial and jury on the go, with the media playing the role of prosecuting Russia, bringing up every detail that might point to them, even though none of it is actually real evidence yet.

Also they try and blur the line between Russia and the separatists like they are the same thing, when in fact they're Ukranians. They're not solely Russia's creation, either, they are the direct result of the Western-backed 'government' that took Ukraine by force a few months ago and the resulting NATO expansion. What happened back then legitimately caused a schism in the country - and it's no surprise Russia would help the separatists when the West is helping Kiev and in fact helped them get in power.

I've been following that separatist news link someone posted a while back via shitty Chrome translation and the last post on there was how the rebels are denying responsibility but realize they're fucked as they prepare themselves to start fighting 'Americans and their capabilities'. Then talking about World War 3.

I find America vs Russia stuff legitimately scary. God help us if we're fully going down that path again.

Western backed govt? Ukraine has been trying to gain some independence from Russia for most of the last century. Ukraine isn't just a puppet of West and East, they want autonomy that was promised with the dissolution of the soviet bloc.

No it's not.

It's damage control from the get go. "Hey everyone, I can't begin how sorry I am, but really, this would have never happened if the Ukraine didn't have this current conflict with Russia. Eh, what do you mean they were struck down by a missle shot by pro-Russian seperatists? Did we provide them with these weapons? Eeeeh... moment of silence please"

But the thing is, even though Putin is bullshitting everyone, nobody will do something because 1) The Netherlands (with sadly the most casualties) will roll over and accept Putin's apology and 2) The Netherlands are to dependant on Russian gass. Well, from a Dutch point of view that is.

And the Dutch-Russian political relations were already pretty bumpy.

United States? If true 23 American citizens

Axial

Just heard the recording of a phone conversation between Igor Bezler, a pro-Russian rebel leader, and Vasili Geranin, a russian intelligence agent.
Looks like cossacks based in Chernukhino shot down the plane, if the recording is authentic ofcourse.

I'd expect nothing less.

sangreal

Some guy on pprune which is a pilots forum called this 3 days ago, he said they should close Eastern Ukraine airspace.

http://www.pprune.org/military-avia...ned-military-transport-plane.html#post8521715

I really don't mean to keep posting the same link, but this guy too. It was really that obvious that something would happen

http://jeziorki.blogspot.com/2014/07/high-over-eastern-ukraine.html
Yesterday's news that long-range anti-aircraft rockets, apparently fired from Russia, downed a Ukrainian transport plane flying at 21,000ft, is worrying. Today, a Ukrainian jet bombed allegedly separatists in Snizhne, near Donetsk. Take a look at eastern Ukraine on FlightRadar24.com, and you'll see a procession of civilian aircraft flying along an air corridor between Luhansk, Donetsk, Horlivka, Kramatorsk - places where battles are raging and people are being killed. Yet blithely oblivious to what's happening on the ground, some of the world's largest civilian airliners are criss-crossing the area at 38,000ft.

Shouldn't there be a no-fly zone for civilian passenger jets? Ukraine has maintained a ground exclusion zone around Chernobyl since independence - should it not, for the sake of the safety of tens of thousands of passengers flying overhead each day, close off the airspace around the conflict zone?

Holy shit!

This one is a little more damning

Tuesday, 15 July 2014

Shouldn't there be a no-fly zone for civilian passenger jets? Ukraine has maintained a ground exclusion zone around Chernobyl since independence - should it not, for the sake of the safety of tens of thousands of passengers flying overhead each day, close off the airspace around the conflict zone?

let's take a closer look at the flightpath of that A380... I don't think flying over a warzone in a passenger jet with several hundred people on board is a good idea. Incidentally, Russian airlines flying to Simferopol in Russian-occupied Crimea, as well as other Black Sea airports to the east, are skirting around eastern Ukrainian today - something they weren't doing yesterday. Before the shoot-down of the transport plane, they'd fly directly over Ukraine, the shortest air route from the Black Sea to Moscow and St Petersburg. Today, they are avoiding Ukrainian airspace east of Dnepropetrovsk and Kharkiv.

http://jeziorki.blogspot.com/2014/07/high-over-eastern-ukraine.html

Again, appears to have been posted Tuesday

Mr.Mike

hyIbMLt.jpg

Unbelievable they would target a passenger plane.

By most accounts, it appears to have been an accident. As far as we know, they thought it was a military plane and didn't spend a few seconds engaged in some critical thought...thinking that would have lead them to understand this was a commercial jet.

It is their fault and responsibility but even through Ukrainian Intelligence, they really didn't seem to know it was civilian. A mistake due to them being Rebels and not trained professionala

The militants are professional soldiers, as far as I know. They're not random citizenry that decided to take up arms.

xbhaskarx

Dr.Acula

Banned
I saw betting slips with Germany 7 Brazil 1, I wouldn't go as far as to say someone "called it." This is the internet, everyone has called everything, pretty much.

Xenex

What does this even mean.

Don't listen to him, he's talking Bollocks. There are 2 facts: A civilian plane was shot down and this occurred in Eastern Ukraine where the rebels are currently based. I don't think anyone needs the media to work out who did it. (Unless you want a choice between the rebels or Russia but they're more or less one and the same).

Big-E

I think these air line companies that are flying this corridor need to be responsible to an extent.You have military aircraft being shot down in the air space and still have flights flying through. It was clear since the end of June that the separatists had good AA. Seems like the airlines need to be held accountable for this as well to an extent.

aTTckr

yes there were Americans, but no, Ukraine is not in NATO

Yeah but more than enough of the victims are from NATO states. The Ukrainian government might even be glad for NATO involvement against the rebels. But if the US is on board, NATO probably won't care if Ukraine wants them there or not.

Dr.Acula

Banned
By most accounts, it appears to have been an accident. As far as we know, they thought it was a military plane and didn't spend a few seconds engaged in some critical thought...thinking that would have lead them to understand this was a commercial jet.

Accident? Like it would have been legal had it been a military craft? They're terrorists, they don't have any authority to launch missiles, they don't control air space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom