• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-E

I just saw a US Senator (Mark Pryor) blame Obama for this because "it happened on his watch"

To the warmongers in America this is probably the best news ever. They wanted to go in before and now they are going to say "we told you so" and probably push for a lot more action in the area.

kess

This is Putin's Russia we are taking about. I wouldn't be surprised by much of anything.

I dunno, I guess I'm kind of amazed that given the choice, Putin risks alienating an actual government that has no dog in this regional conflict whatsoever in favor of supporting a fantasy of some regional pissant separatists. This goes far, far, beyond that now.

Mully

If KAL 007, which happened during a period of high tension between the USA and USSR, didn't start WW3 then this sure as hell isn't going to, either.

KAL007 had a goddamned Congressman on board who died in that shoot down incident. If that doesn't start WW3, I don't know what will.

ronito

I just saw a US Senator (Mark Kirk) blame Obama for this because "it happened on his watch"

Another day in the life of the american conservative

uE579.gif

Tigress

I just saw a US Senator (Mark Kirk) blame Obama for this because "it happened on his watch"

After all the stuff random Republicans have said during various tragedies this current century, are you really surprised? This is mild compared to some stupid stuff I've heard some say. Especially when they've been so eager to try to prove how bad Obama is no matter what (to the point that it seems some of them would love to see America fall as long as it is on his watch just so they can say, "We told you so").

I know not all are like this, but it would be nice if the more moderate ones actually got outspoken about not supporting the idiots in their party. Problem with the republican party is they are very good at getting everyone to tow the line and ostracizing anyone who doesn't. Kinda makes a hive mind mentality in the party. There's good republicans but in general it seems they get ignored by the party.

These kind of people obviously revere Obama, since they seem to think he is an actual God that can watch over the world and prevent things like this from happening. If anything, I guess it's a huge compliment that they feel he is some kind of deity, but man, those people need their heads checked.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I just got back from Ukraine not too long ago...

I will make no comment about the people in that shit hole of a country.

I 99% sure my friends Page and James were on that flight. I am waiting for confirmation. Jesus christ.

Flying over Afghanistan and Western Pakistan is a thing?

Of course. Terrorist cells might have a Stinger, which can reach 15,000 to maybe 20,000 feet.

To hit 30,000 feet, you can't use a shoulder mounted missile, at least I don't think you can, and if there are any of those in Afghanistan or non Government controlled areas in Pakistan, you would bet your ass we would take it out the next day.

These kind of people obviously revere Obama, since they seem to think he is an actual God that can watch over the world and prevent things like this from happening. If anything, I guess it's a huge compliment that they feel he is some kind of deity, but man, those people need their heads checked.

If he had just been tougher for the cameras people would have gotten so scared no one in the world would do anything bad anymore. That's what the Reagan years were like right?

awful. let's hope it was quick and painless.

Incongruously, many of the bodies strewn about in the smoldering wreckage were largely intact. A woman in a black sweater lay on her back, blood streaming from her face, her left arm raised as if signaling someone. Another victim, naked except for a black bra, lay on the field, her gray hair mixing with the green grass, one leg broken and her body torn.

Pieces of the plane were scattered across the road and field: a seat back with its television display cracked; a tail fin clearly displaying the red and blue colors of Malaysia Airlines. One televised image showed a travel guide for Bali, Indonesia, almost untouched.

Many of the victims were still in their seatbelts, attached to pieces of the plane. One man, still in his socks but without pants, lay akimbo on the field, his right arm placed on his stomach as if in repose. Others had personal belongings nearby. A young man in blue shorts, wearing red Nike sneakers but no pants, lay with his arms and legs splayed outward, his iPhone by his side.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/18/w...ck&contentCollection=Home Page&pgtype=article

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
they are going to use it against the democrats in the upcoming elections.. it might work.

Except I don't think the average American gives a damn about Russia really. Let the Republicans bark up that tree and see where it gets them, all people will hear is "warmongering".

ICKE

Banned
This is going exactly as expected. Russian media outlets are blaming the Ukrainian central government for not safeguarding civilians inside their borders, create stories out of thin air (basically asking questions as to why would Ukraine down this commercial flight) and then complain about the financial sanctions.

There will be no neutral investigation, you can be certain that the evidence will be destroyed and any equipment used in this tragedy moved to the Russian side of the border.

I'm so tired of dealing with this nonsense. It's always a bunch of criminals fooling around in these pro-Russian areas, be it Ukraine or Moldova. I wouldn't be surprised if the perpetrators were completely out of their minds when they pressed the button as a lot of substance abuse is going on among the rebels.

Nexas

LOL, exactly the same logic that Putin used to say it was Kiev's fault

The funny thing is if Putin was American he would be the GOP's golden child. I'm pretty sure I even remember a number GOP politicians being super positive towards Putin early in the Syrian crisis.

Backlogger

I know not all are like this, but it would be nice if the more moderate ones actually got outspoken about not supporting the idiots in their party. Problem with the republican party is they are very good at getting everyone to tow the line and ostracizing anyone who doesn't. Kinda makes a hive mind mentality in the party. There's good republicans but in general it seems they get ignored by the party.

Its because the moderates (the voters anyway) have mostly left the republican party. we still don't think obama is a good president, but we dont get involved in political hyperbole either.

edit: and this kind of hyperbole exists from both parties

MikeDown

Banned
Its because the moderates (the voters anyway) have mostly left the republican party. we still don't think obama is a good president, but we dont get involved in political hyperbole either.

edit: and this kind of hyperbole exists from both parties
republican party is dead

nothing quick about a plane falling from the sky at 30,000 feet. that's 90-120 seconds of falling, I'd think with a burning plane around you. I can't even imagine seeing the ground rushing up to meet you. I can't think of a worse way to go.

Indeed. Some would have died in the explosion/break up of the plane, but most would have fallen. Fucking awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom