• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're members of the UN security council. They must want to know for certain they have U.S support before they implement their motion to conduct a UN specific investigation.

you do realize Russia is also a part of it right? theyl'l just vote against it. and china will abstain

hirokazu

This is the problem with Australia in general.

Its like they are far enough away from everybody else, that the media can report things for 'australians'. All the international news gets pushed to the middle of the newspaper where nobody reads it, and all the international news on TV is all on SBS. Then you have the local news on Channel 7, 9 and 10 that report on house burglaries or petrol prices or fad weight loss methods.

Look at the BBC, they generally push news thats relevant to the world as a whole not just for brits, thats left for the tabloids to fill.
But you're comparing the BBC to our commercial networks. SBS and ABC have a good amount of international news coverage and they're basically our equivalent to the BBC.

Doczu

What is stopping the Ukrainian government from taking a hard line against these guys now? If they really did this, I can't imagine any international sympathy and Russia will be hard pressed to intervene

Be really carefull what you wish for, because giving the seperatists weaponry to fight against Ukraine is one thing (and it's bad), but putting the blame only on Russia for a major fuck-up done by the seperatists (as already proven that they fucked up) is another.

If the seperatist pulled the trigger and they downed a civilian aircraft in place of a military one, then it's their fault and they should be punished to hell and beyond. Russia is (believed to be) responsible for shipping the weaponry, not shooting it. If they are proven to be more involved in it, then let them also take the blame.

EDIT: And before anyone says "giving them weapons is baaaaad!" - please recall the Cold War. Shipping weaponry to terrorists/seperatists/rebels was done by both parties as a way to fight wars by not involving in them directly.

Falk

that puzzling face
EDIT: And before anyone says "giving them weapons is baaaaad!" - please recall the Cold War. Shipping weaponry to terrorists/seperatists/rebels was done by both parties as a way to fight wars by not involving in them directly.

Why even go as far back as the Cold War?

Be really carefull what you wish for, because giving the seperatists weaponry to fight against Ukraine is one thing (and it's bad), but putting the blame only on Russia for a major fuck-up done by the seperatists (as already proven that they fucked up) is another.

If the seperatist pulled the trigger and they downed a civilian aircraft in place of a military one, then it's their fault and they should be punished to hell and beyond. Russia is (believed to be) responsible for shipping the weaponry, not shooting it. If they are proven to be more involved in it, then let them also take the blame.

But giving weapons to fuel a conflict is "baaaaaad!" Regardless of historical precedent for it during the east-west conflict or even more recently. We can normatively say, "countries should not do that."

Cloudy

Banned

I'm not wishing for it cos it's going to escalate already-high tensions in the region. I just think it's inevitable.

Also, Russia does deserve most of the blame if they are really supplying the separatists with such dangerous weapons. This kind if shit is exactly why you don't do it (see US reluctance to arm Syrian rebels)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Giving weapons to idiots with the only purpose to create chaos so you can benefit strategically out of it it is BAD. No matter who does it. No matter if someone else did it in the past.

aznpxdd

Yeah, I just don't understand the rationalization of "others did it before!! so...its okay?!!"

Yes its fucking Russia's fault if they were the one that supplied separatists weapons with ability to take down a commercial plane.

Doczu

Why even go as far back as the Cold War?

O then "since the start of the cold war". And i fear this may turn into another situation like those. Both parties bleed out with the use of given weaponry, while the big players just sit and watch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Could the black box be tampered with? Does it even matter if the other one gets in the hands of proper investigators?

The black box can only make it clear that it wasn't an accident because of some technical failure or pilot action. More important are the fuselage pieces to analyze the explosion, the materials etc. I'm afraid that would be even more difficult to get for a proper investigation.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is the blackbox even important since it's clear that the plane was crashed due to being shot and not because human error/technical/mechanical failure?

I mean, it records the situation *inside* the plane, right? Considering what happened, I seriously doubt anyone inside the plane during the incident would know what hit them.

Is the blackbox even important since it's clear that the plane was crashed due to being shot and not because human error/technical/mechanical failure?

It's possible someone in the cockpit was able to communicate what they think happened immediately after the hit (assuming the missile didn't strike the front of the plane).

Carn82

I mean, it records the situation *inside* the plane, right? Considering what happened, I seriously doubt anyone inside the plane during the incident would know what hit them.

well, data might indicate a sudden loss of basically everything; which probably only happens with outside harm. If it was an internal explosion, or mechanical damage, data might point to components not working or indicative measurements of something happening.

Random17

Well population size could matter if they are a greater abundance of urban areas or a greater population density, but in this case the poster above seemed to miss the point.

I still find it shocking that the two biggest stories of the year (Ukraine, Malaysian Airlines plane loss) managed to combine to produce this tragedy.

pants

Malaysia Airlines crash: Ukraine, Russia point fingers after missile downs plane

As pro-Russian separatists and the Ukrainian government traded charges about who was behind the surface-to-air missile that downed a Malaysia Airlines jet with 298 aboard Thursday, Ukraine's separatist rebels on Friday said they have found "most" of the plane's recording devices.

I just got trolled by fox news. click links before you read the url brahs *facepalm*

The black box can only make it clear that it wasn't an accident because of some technical failure or pilot action. More important are the fuselage pieces to analyze the explosion, the materials etc. I'm afraid that would be even more difficult to get for a proper investigation.

I'm thinking maybe the voice recordings will be key. Shady as fuck of Russia to just go in and take it.

soepje

Well population size could matter if they are a greater abundance of urban areas or a greater population density, but in this case the poster above seemed to miss the point.

I still find it shocking that the two biggest stories of the year (Ukraine, Malaysian Airlines plane loss) managed to combine to produce this tragedy.
The Netherlands is one of the most densely populated countries in the world with 488 people per km2 so that wouldn't work in this case either.

Strange there is still no word on the possible US American and French victims btw, i wonder why it is taking so long.

I honestly don't see what really could happen here.

Say for instance the rebels are to blame. The rebels are known to have stolen Ukraine BUK systems which could have taken out the plane. So what happens in the situation that instead of them having used Russian supplied weapons to take out the place, they used weapons they stole from Ukraine to take out the plane?

And even if it was found out it was Russian supplied weapons, so what are they gonna do? Throw more sanctions on Russia who will in turn sanction the EU and US and cause both the EU and Russian economies to collapse and then lead to another worldwide economic slump? And isn't there the angle that once you put enough sanctions on Russia Putin could say "Fuck it, their only next step would be to declare war on us. Begin the invasion of Eastern Ukraine."

Being a Permanent member of the UN Security Council means there really isn't a lot anyone can do against you.

Nikodemos

I'm thinking maybe the voice recordings will be key. Shady as fuck of Russia to just go in and take it.
I'm pretty certain plane status is more important, since pilots could've been knocked out by the hit (I mean, the vocorder is quite likely to have a shocked "WTF!" and then silence), whereas telemetry can usually (partially) function until complete failure (aircraft breaking up completely). This isn't similar to Air France 447, where the pilots realised about 45 seconds before impact that they were wrong about stall state.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It might provide some insight if the missile didn't hit the front part of the plane and the pilots survived the initial impact, but in the end it doesn't clarify what kind of missile was and who shot it. So there is not that much to cover up from the black boxes.

As I said, the fuselage (the impact zone especially) is more important in this case.

kess

It might provide some insight if the missile didn't hit the front part of the plane and the pilots survived the initial impact, but in the end it doesn't clarify what kind of missile was and who shot it. So there is not that much to cover up from the black boxes.

As I said, the fuselage (the impact zone especially) is more important in this case.

Too bad international attempts at independent investigation are slim as long as the separatists are in control of roads leading in and out of the area.

Meanwhile, Russia is doubling down on yesterday's comments:

Russia: Ukraine missile system radar active day MH17 was downed
The Russian Defence Ministry said on Friday it had picked up radar facility activity from a Ukrainian 'Buk' missile system on Thursday when a Malaysian passenger airliner was brought down over eastern Ukraine, Russia's RIA news agency reported.

Russia's Itar-Tass agency quoted the ministry as saying the Ukrainian 'Buk' unit in question was located south of the provincial capital Donetsk.

Staab

This is all absolutely horrible, may they all rest in peace.

It's also very terrifying cause I'm flying from Switzerland to Kuala Lumpur in 7days time, it's basically the same route.
Even if they announced all flights would be avoiding the region, it's still scary as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom