• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Just read a story of a guy who tweeted a picture of the MH17-plane with the text 'IN case we go missing, this is what it looks like'... sends shivers down my spine just reading that.

Kinan

LifeNews published videos from one of the passenger's phones.

http://lifenews.ru/news/136869

They even do not try to hide that they are gathering mobile phones of victims. :/

Strelkov is getting completely crazy, claiming that he hear reports about some of the found bodies being dead for a long time already, suspecting LOST-style provocation...

I... I just give up. There is no hope for this world. Humanity is doomed and deserve to burn in a total nuclear war. Bring it on Vlad. Universe will be a better place without us.

There is so much more terrorists conversation, that was intercepted. If to be short, terrorists got Buk from Russia several days ago. Ukraine has that intel, but was unable to check it, so they can't talk about it to not throwing words.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah, looks like it's confirmed.

Several of the passengers were world-renowned AIDS researchers heading to a conference.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/17/malayaia-airlines-crash-passengers_n_5597796.html

I'm so angry!

There are seemingly unconfirmed reports that over 100 of the passengers were bound for that AIDS conference in Melbourne.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...among-dead-on-crashed-malaysian-jet-1.1870707

“I have no words really to express my sadness,” Ms Barre- Sinoussi, who was awarded a Nobel prize in 2008 for discovering HIV, told reporters in Canberra attending a National Press Club event.

“I feel totally devastated.”

Former US president Bill Clinton and Bob Geldof are among thousands of public figures, Aids researchers and people living with HIV expected to attend the July 20th-25th event.

There were 108 Aids meeting delegates on the flight, the Australian newspaper reported today.

“We haven’t heard any numbers,” said Sharon Lewin, head of infectious diseases at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne and the other co-chair of the biennial conference.

Zeekaas

This is way too close for comfort.

I've just flown from Amsterdam to Jakarta for my holiday in Bali, and we have likely taken the same flight path just a few days before this incident. I'm now on holiday in Bali with my girlfriend worrying about my flight home.

Given slightly different circumstances (we were considering a connecting flight to Kuala Lumpa instead of Jakarta) this could have been me and my gf on board. Makes me feel a bit sick thinking about it.
Same here, 4 days ago my flight went from Amsterdam to Frankfurt to Kuala Lumpur to Bali. My return flight will be Bali to Kuala Lumpur to Amsterdam. It's just bizar. Just momements before I heard about the crash I was joking with an Englishmen that it wouldn't happen to the same airline again.

marrec

Banned
I'm still puzzled that this flight was routed to fly over a battlezone. This is very suspicious to me.

If you look at all the flights going on at the time you'll see that there were 2 other planes within the same area.

No need to get all crazy, the flight path was well traveled.

Kinan

181 bodies have been found, identification will take place in Kharkiv, according to Ukrainian Foreign Ministry Office.

MacNille

Banned
Bloody hell.

Cut the reliance on Russian oil and gas NOW, open nuclear plants if needed. Cut off their revenue stream, hit them where it hurts.

Edit: easier said than done I realise.

True brother. We need to focus on nuclear powerplants now, if we want to stay independent of russian gas.

True brother. We need to focus on nuclear powerplants now, if we want to stay independent of russian gas.

Yep. Governments can down energy costs and let people to do autonomic heating. Thats what Ukraine do now. I prefer electrical heaters much more. No those stupid alcoholics, that will forget close gas and blow house. And there is no that "oil" on walls, from burned gas. And most electricity (near 80%) is generated by thermal power stations, that uses coil. Gas is used in industry. For example in Ukraine, almost all gas is consumed by iron processing plants in Donetsk.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This question might be in bad taste, but out of morbid curiosity: would the pilots have had a moment before the incident to detect something unusual heading their way?

Yrael

This question might be in bad taste, but out of morbid curiosity: would the pilots have had a moment before the incident to detect something unusual heading their way?

I don't think so, unless they could actually see it heading towards them from the front.

Tugatrix

only if the missile attacked from the front, but they probably even so wouldn't understand what was happening.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
No. They had a missle traveling towards them at nearly 3 times the speed of sound. They had 30-40 seconds to do anything if they knew (which they didn't).

Yagharek

No. The commercial airliners dont have a way to detect incoming missiles unlike, say, military craft like a C31.

Unless the sound was louder than the ambient noise of the aircraft itself, or someone saw it out the window depending on the angle of approach, it would have been a complete shock.

Cloudy

Banned

Probably (they have radar, don't they?) but a plane that large can't maneuver quickly enough and unlike Air Force One, there's no anti-missile countermeasures

Fucking hell. Do they seriously think anyone believes this shit?

Anyway, give him his proper title. Russian Soldier Girkin.

I don't know what he thinking, when claiming something like this. But I am sure, some one will believe in his words.

are all russian leaders so delusional nowadays?

Sadly, it is how propaganda worked in USSR. most people in Russia never was outside of their country, so they believe that EU is overwhelmed by gays and Muslims, and USA want to destroy Russia, but too weak for this. And is batter to live under "king", that in freedom with gay EU or in land of "stuped" people America.

Carcetti

Fucking hell. Do they seriously think anyone believes this shit?

Anyway, give him his proper title. Russian Soldier Girkin.

People will believe anything. Watch, and soon some pro-Russian poster comes in to echo Girkin telling how corrupt mainstream media fooled everyone and USA was the real villain here.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
They fly high enough that they're usually out of range of most weaponry. Flights go over warzones like Afghanistan and Iraq all the time

My flight a couple weeks ago from East Africa to Dubai flew over a piece of Yemen and I didn't feel comfortable with that. I can't imagine flying over Afghanistan and Iraq right now. Fuck that. I didn't know that this considered no big deal.

Bloody hell.

Cut the reliance on Russian oil and gas NOW, open nuclear plants if needed. Cut off their revenue stream, hit them where it hurts.

Edit: easier said than done I realise.

This is the same thing I was saying last night, but I got called a warmonger for pointing out that the EU nations have a better economy and a better army. We have nothing to fear from them.

And then out comes some bullshit about nukes and M.A.D.

I don't know what he thinking, when claiming something like this. But I am sure, some one will believe in his words.
Yeah, there aready so many nutjobs on sites like reddit and facebook that are taking the Russian side, with the usual "American is evil too".

Kiraly

173 Dutch lives were lost yesterday, which is around 1 out of 100,000 of the population.

To put things in perspective, the American lives lost in 9/11 were around 1 out of 100,000 as well.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is the same thing I was saying last night, but I got called a warmonger for pointing out that the EU nations have a better economy and a better army. We have nothing to fear from them.

There is no need for army. Maximum 6 months of proper sanctions from EU and US and it will be done. All It takes is that some Germans to renounce their future board member seats at Gazprom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom