• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martian

We have nothing to gain from escalating the conflict. We will want to bring those responsible to justice, not with bombs but with the ICC.

Yeah this. No one wants a full on war, even though that might feel like its unjust.
Try to find those responsible, but do not escalate things to an even bigger scale with the chance of it running out of hands.

Try to keep your cool (not directed at gaf, moreso towards world leaders) and solve this in the best possible way without causing more causualties

Rom1944

Looks like emergency workers found the second black box. Somewhat stupid to announce that, insurgents will not lets them transport it away to the Ukrainian-controller territory...

It is of very limited use though, it will just confirm that that was no accident on board or something, which is already clear.

For (sad) laughs - this is how russian tv thinks Putin was flying yesterday from Warsaw to Moscow. (Warsaw was the point where the MH17 and Putin's plane were close to each other.)

10364151_10152207219640754_1534596507611450777_n.jpg

And there will be russians that will believe it. A lot of them...

its not impossible that that was the trayectory of Putin plane as earth is not a plane:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhumb_line

Just watched a video update on this in which McCain comes right out and blames Putin for it. I have to say.... I like direct-talking politicians but not when McCain does it. I am just not convinced that he is in charge of the full shuite of his mental faculties. In other words he often sounds crazy.

Rom1944

Go to google maps, use the meassure distance option. The curvature from Warsaw to Moscow is mininal.

well, that would be quite a steep angle / corner to take, instead of a fluid line.

Its more to mantain a direction than to be the minimun distance it easier to navigate in a constant bearing anyways, i dont calim to say that was the flying path i only say that is not that far fecthed.

Chariot

It was probably already posted, but what the shit?

jiKQiplWInsNI.jpg

They already pulled that and apologized, but seriously, somedoy thought it would be a good idea?

Dragon

Banned
"It's not as bad because it was an accident" In fact we don't even know if it was an accident. They could be purposely targeting civilians now.

Fuck all terrorists, their insane beliefs and their disregard for human life, no excuses.

Usually when people use quotation marks they are actually quoting something. You seem to be quoting something no one said.

Also, these separatists are not terrorists really, you're kind of all over the place.

Jito

Banned
Usually when people use quotation marks they are actually quoting something. You seem to be quoting something no one said.

Also, these separatists are not terrorists really, you're kind of all over the place.

I know, if I was directly quoting someone I'd use the quote button.

And they're terrorists now they've shot down a civilian plane.

Dragon

Banned
I know, if I was directly quoting someone I'd use the quote button.

And they're terrorists now they've shot down a civilian plane.

Part of the definition of the word terrorist involves intent. That's besides the fact we don't know for sure who actually did this yet.

Jito

Banned
Part of the definition of the word terrorist involves intent. That's besides the fact we don't know for sure who actually did this yet.

I know we don't know intent and don't know who did it. Am I not allowed to share my opinion on the situation?

Dragon

Banned
I know we don't know intent and don't know who did it. Am I not allowed to share my opinion on the situation?

Of course? I'm just saying throwing around the word terrorist is not accurate and not needed. You don't have to care what I say really but there it is.

itsgreen

Latest update:
4 unknown
189 Dutch
29 Malaysian
27 Australian
12 Indonesian
9 UK
4 German
4 Belgian
3 Philipines
1 Canada
1 New Zealand

LNBL

189 Dutch
29 Malaysian
27 Australia
12 Indonesia
9 UK
4 Germany
4 Belgium
3 filipines
1 Canada
1 New zealand
4 unverified

Carn82

189 Dutch
44 Malaysian,
27 Australians,
12 Indonesians,
9 British,
4 Belgians,
4 Germans,
3 Filipinos,
1 Canadian
1 New-Zeeland(ian?)

4 unkown

TheContact

Just watched a video update on this in which McCain comes right out and blames Putin for it. I have to say.... I like direct-talking politicians but not when McCain does it. I am just not convinced that he is in charge of the full shuite of his mental faculties. In other words he often sounds crazy.

He was blaming everyone, he thought it was really funny every time he blamed Obama for going to a fundraiser, even Hannity wasn't acknowledging his remarks

neorej

ERMYGERD!
What a nightmare. And it's fucking disgusting how Putin immediatly put the blame on the Ukrainian government. Shit like that convinces me that Russia is behind this terrorist attack.

WolfStark

It's not a terrorist act to accidentally shoot down a plane. A terrorist act is something intentional.

If you press the buttom to launch a rocket, you do it intentionally, it doesn't matter if you didn't want to shoot down a civilian plane. Intentional murder is no less intentional just because it's the wrong victim.

Very sorry for the loss of life around the world. As an American, we can also work by proxy to end whatever happened just as Russia acted in proxy shooting that plane out of the sky.

Zoon

Press service of Russian DM:
Russian radio-technical facilities during July 17 were recording the work of the 9s18 Kupol radar station of the Buk-M1 squadron, stationed in the area of the Styla settlement (30 km south of Donetsk)
the launch of the missiles could also be made from all the squadrons, located in the Avdeyevka settlement (8 km north of Donetsk) or in Gruzsko-Zaryanskoye (25 km east of Donetsk)
Source & more: http://en.itar-tass.com/world/741304

LNBL

Malaysia airlines is investigating how many Next of kins want to travel to the Ukraine, they want to facilitate that.

Dragon

Banned
If you press the buttom to launch a rocket, you do it intentionally, it doesn't matter if you didn't want to shoot down a civilian plane. Intentional murder is no less intentional just because it's the wrong victim.

The definition of a terrorist is someone who uses terror to facilitate political gain. I'm not sure how that definition applies in this case. Yes the person who pressed the button did so knowing that they'd be killing someone if it was successful, but that's not really what we're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom