• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't that transcript prove that it was the Russian backed rebels that brought down the plane?
They're not authenticated yet really.

But yes, so far all evidence is pointing at it anyway.

edit:
And since this is my first post in the thread (been lurking), man this is really sad and angering. Deepest condolences to all the families and friends.

Wessiej

Dutch journalist is at the scene and describing it. Horrible.

Rebels won't let anybody near the scene, they held everybody at gunpoint. Bodies are still lying there, people are shooting at eachother. What a country.

Syriel

Yea, it's definitely not just them. This could have happened to anyone. You'd think the airlines would just be more cautious after the news out of Ukraine the past few weeks.

1) Flight path was deemed safe (lots of planes were using it)
2) No one thought rebels had AA weapons that could reach 30,000+ feet
3) No one thought the rebels would be fucking stupid enough to target a civilian aircraft

I don't doubt that this is probably the vehicle that shot the plane down... But couldn't they find some tarpaulin or plastic sheeting to cover the fucking thing?

They were stupid enough to shoot down a foreign passenger plane. Why would they have the foresight to cover up their weapons?

Horns

Doesn't that transcript prove that it was the Russian backed rebels that brought down the plane?

The obstruction of an investigation, sending the black box to Moscow (if true), and reports of separatists receiving a SAM system days before are all pretty strong indicators.

But don't worry, claims of this being a false flag will be floated. It never fails.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Asshole of the day:

In case anyone is wondering, this guy was quoted as an expert on homosexuality by the Voice of Russia.

Jesus christ... This is disgusting. The deaths of 108 AIDS researchers is depressing enough even apart from the already horrific plane crash. Now we get to enjoy this lovely slice of ignorance on top like a big fucking shit-cherry.

I was annoyed by Europe poking its nose into Ukraine and annoying Russia, but this is too much. Proper sanctions and kick the Oligarchs out of London.

I heard in the news that Russians have a huge influence in London to the point where it's been given the Londongrad moniker.

soepje

My god, i just read that an Australian couple lost their three kids, ages 8, 10 and 12 on that flight. Flying home with their grandfather to be back in time for school..
Where do you even start dealing with something like that..

Tugatrix

My god, i just read that an Australian couple lost their three kids, ages 8, 10 and 12 on that flight. Flying home with their grandfather to be back in time for school..

Jesus, I'm speechless

I had such a morbid thought when I first saw the numbers behind this tragedy, and that was that at least the children (probably) died with their parents, as no parent would want to live with such agony.

My heart sinks at the thought of what so many people must be going through right now. It must be impossible. And all for no reason whatsoever.

Munin

Jesus, I'm speechless

You're speechless that the flight was full of people like you and me with their own dreams, families, friends and plans?

I'm sorry but I find these comments borderline tasteless, they're just fishing for empathy by arbitrarily highlighting individual cases as if some of those people are more worth grieving for than the rest.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
You're speechless that the flight was full of people like you and me with their own dreams, families, friends and plans?

I'm sorry but I find these comments borderline tasteless, they're just fishing for empathy by arbitrarily highlighting individual cases as if some of those people are more worth grieving for than the rest.
Sorry but the only tasteless comment here is your own.

Amir0x

Banned

fishing for EMPATHY? How do you fish for empathy in this case? Who even needs to fish here? Why would you even need to?

And some of the individual stories are worse than others, and the tragedy IS disproportionately worse for people suffering such tragedies. A mother losing three of her children is infinitely worse than a person losing one child, or one spouse. Shit, many countries even prefer to keep brothers from fighting alongside brothers during conflicts, because of the added trauma of both dying at the same time.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
More than 250 men, women, and children are rotting in a field right now for what exactly at this point? I don't understand how exactly Russia can "recall" Pushilin but be unable to persuade the rebels to allow investigators to do their job.

Delay. Eventually the international media will focus on another tragedy or developing story that is more immediately marketable to the base emotions of the general masses. If everything works out to their favor, by the time the final reports start coming in, people will generally have lost interest. And Russia will prevent a foreign politician from using this event as an catalyst to implement more sanctions against them or reach new agreements with the Ukraine.

No doubt they're all worth equal grief, but you must be unfamiliar with the concept of parenting if you can't see why that particular family tragedy resonates around the web.

stufte

wtf is your problem? The whole of the situation and loss of life is excruciating but honestly, as a father, the stories like the one you're shitting on really hit home for me.

Tugatrix

Every single death is pitiful but don't tell me that loosing all 3 sons it's equal to any other death on this situation, because they are not, they are all different, each has his own impact on a social circle. Is much more devastating to loose all sons, can you just imagine this parents pain right now? their life is just broken beyond any kind of repair.

antonz

A man who has been reliable about FSB leaks regarding Ukraine in the past is saying the FSB is currently trying to smuggle in damaged parts of an SU-25 Fighter and try and plant evidence that a Ukrainian SU-25 used P-73 Air to Air Missile to down MH17.

Russia has been trying to play the Narrative "witnesses" saw an SU-25 tailing the Plane and fire on it. Of course SU-25 cannot even get to 25,000 feet let alone 33,000

fanboi

Banned

Jesus fucking christ.

Such a horrible post.

Big-E

1) Flight path was deemed safe (lots of planes were using it)
2) No one thought rebels had AA weapons that could reach 30,000+ feet
3) No one thought the rebels would be fucking stupid enough to target a civilian aircraft

Number 2 is wrong. Separatists bragged about getting SAMs at the end of last month with the capability to shoot down anything. It was so wide known that if you go back to the beginning of this thread, random gaffers were mentioning it as this whole thing was going down. If random gaffers knew about the separatists AA then the authorities and airlines should have had as well.

Number 2 is wrong. Separatists bragged about getting SAMs at the end of last month with the capability to shoot down anything. It was so wide known that if you go back to the beginning of this tread, random gaffers were mentioning it as this whole thing was going down. If random gaffers knew about the separatists AA then the authorities and airlines should have had as well.

Has this thread reached the point of victim blaming?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
A man who has been reliable about FSB leaks regarding Ukraine in the past is saying the FSB is currently trying to smuggle in damaged parts of an SU-25 Fighter and try and plant evidence that a Ukrainian SU-25 used P-73 Air to Air Missile to down MH17.

Russia has been trying to play the Narrative "witnesses" saw an SU-25 tailing the Plane and fire on it. Of course SU-25 cannot even get to 25,000 feet let alone 33,000

I wonder if they mean to primarily convince their own population or the international community with this.

So if there was a possibility that dyes a clothing company purchased had been formulated incorrectly and caused serious medical conditions, the company wouldn't be responsible if the worse came to pass and they had refused to pull affected stock?

antonz

I wonder if they mean to primarily convince their own population or the international community with this.

It is likely a bit of both or at the very least try and give some reasonable doubt for certain leaders to have a way out of any actions against Russia.

Russia has always had a policy with these kinds of things to just throw so much shit at the wall it eventually just shits everything up and makes it confusing.

Even in 83 when they downed the South Korea plane with all the evidence including Russian Officers on tape admitting it Russia denied it for years and kept the black box in Moscow so no one could see it.

Big-E

Its not victim blaming. Airlines are companies that the public puts a large amount of trust in for safety. These companies also ask their customers to pay a high price of their services. Numerous airlines made the assessment that there was a risk in the region and decided to not fly through the area. Other airlines felt there was no risk or the risk was acceptable and given what we know now, the later was not the right choice to make. In no way am I diverting blame away from the rebels who did this but these companies that are so large and make someone money need to be held accountable for when they make decisions that do not have customer safety as priority.

The simple fact remains that numerous airlines chose against going through the area and others did. The former were proven to be correct so those other airlines should be all taken to task for allowing civilians flying through a warzone where military aircraft had been shot down and where high reaching AA was being used.

Archer

The only thing that would motivate me for the remainder of my days would be to carefully craft and execute a very painful way for each of those responsible to fatally suffer, horribly. Beyond that, there would be nothing else in left in life.

What a tragedy.

I heard in the news that Russians have a huge influence in London to the point where it's been given the Londongrad moniker.

Hold your friends close and your enemies closer.

Measley

So is anything going to happen to the PoS who ordered the plane to get shot down, or the guy who pressed the button?

No one should get away with such a terrible crime.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
It is likely a bit of both or at the very least try and give some reasonable doubt for certain leaders to have a way out of any actions against Russia.

Russia has always had a policy with these kinds of things to just throw so much shit at the wall it eventually just shits everything up and makes it confusing.

Even in 83 when they downed the South Korea plane with all the evidence including Russian Officers on tape admitting it Russia denied it for years and kept the black box in Moscow so no one could see it.

Yeah, I know. I just wish they would be a bit more credible with their ruses.

Any new developments about the recent love affair the GOP has been having with Putin?

They appreciated his public persona. *shrug* Like all collection of individuals, personal approval of his policies is dependent upon the peccadilloes of the individual.

Zukuu

Banned
FUUUU... I'm flying Lufthansa in January. If they don't maintain their detour routes I will cancel tickets and go with British Airways. Not taking chances.
I think that's a pretty old screen I think. I heard Lufthansa was avoiding the area for months already. Not sure tho. By now, ALL airlines will avoid the area tho. So don't panic.

MutFox

Banned
Its not victim blaming. Airlines are companies that the public puts a large amount of trust in for safety. These companies also ask their customers to pay a high price of their services. Numerous airlines made the assessment that there was a risk in the region and decided to not fly through the area. Other airlines felt there was no risk or the risk was acceptable and given what we know now, the later was not the right choice to make. In no way am I diverting blame away from the rebels who did this but these companies that are so large and make someone money need to be held accountable for when they make decisions that do not have customer safety as priority.

The simple fact remains that numerous airlines chose against going through the area and others did. The former were proven to be correct so those other airlines should be all taken to task for allowing civilians flying through a warzone where military aircraft had been shot down and where high reaching AA was being used.

Pretty much, the only reason the others deemed it was "safe" was for monetary reasons.
If money wasn't an issue, they wouldn't have been flying over it.

antonz

Pretty much, the only reason the others deemed it was "safe" was for monetary reasons.
If money wasn't an issue, they wouldn't have been flying over it.

I have to image most figured Putin had better control over his mercenary army that the idea of shooting down Passenger Jets would be impossible.

Though the "Rebel" Leaders awhile back said they would target civilian planes if they were Ukrainian so the idea of passenger jets being off limits wasn't even there then.

We are seeing a state created monster that spiraled out of control.

MutFox

Banned
I have to image most figured Putin had better control over his mercenary army that the idea of shooting down Passenger Jets would be impossible.

Though the "Rebel" Leaders awhile back said they would target civilian planes if they were Ukrainian so the idea of passenger jets being off limits wasn't even there then.

We are seeing a state created monster that spiraled out of control.

SuNxxBg.gif

Air France and British Airways spent more because they didn't want to chance it.

lednerg

Wait, the same GOP that was mocked during the 2012 elections for thinking Russia was a dangerous country? And was dismissed by Obama and the rest of the Democrats as being stuck in the '80s....

Obama and Mitt weren't running for president of Ukraine as far as I know.

KHarvey16

Wait, the same GOP that was mocked during the 2012 elections for thinking Russia was a dangerous country? And was dismissed by Obama and the rest of the Democrats as being stuck in the '80s....

Romney wasn't mocked for suggesting Russia was a dangerous country, he was mocked for stating it was the US's number 1 geopolitical threat.

PopeReal

I find your post tasteless.

Loxley

Must be windy up on that high-horse.

Please tell me more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom