• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

demolitio

I feel like this slowly going down the path of the last "NEWS" thread. No matter what, we should all feel like the people behind this tragedy should be held accountable for their actions, "accident" or not. I doubt that will happen unfortunately.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Then what's with the fuss you're raising? <_<

After just catching up with recent posts, I think the argument he was making was about the probability of the civilian passenger plane being shot down being accidental as opposed to intentional.

Obviously, they wanted to shoot down something down, the process is too complicated to "accidentally" shoot something down with one of those launchers. But I can see the argument that they either did not know what it was, or thought it was something else they were targeting.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
That's not an "accidentt." That's a reckless mistake.

You don't just fire a missile at something without knowing wtf you're shooting at.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That's not an "accidentt." That's a reckless mistake.

You don't just fire a missile at something without knowing wtf you're shooting at.

Certainly.

But I see the point in that It's difficult to perceive the motive of knowingly shooting down a civilian passenger jet. What does Russia or Ukraine have to gain from such an action?

edit: Anyway, I'm calling it a night. Won't be around to respond to anything else till tomorrow.

SRG01

Certainly.

But I see the point in that It's difficult to perceive the motive of knowingly shooting down a civilian passenger jet. What does Russia or Ukraine have to gain from such an action?

edit: Anyway, I'm calling it a night. Won't be around to respond to anything else till tomorrow.

That's a false argument because they chose to use the BUK in the first place. Whether or not the intended target was a civilian aircraft does not change the destructive intent.

Jezbollah

https://twitter.com/pjbuckingham/status/490404450289594368

PJBuckingham: #safc fans started a charity page aiming to raise £100 for a floral tribute to the 2 #nufc fans lost on MH17. They've raised £3k in 12 hours

Context: Two Brits who died on MH17 were Newcastle United fans (English Premier League football/soccer). They were on their way to New Zealand to watch NUFC play. Sunderland and Newcastle are massive rivals - they hate each other normally. Out of this tragedy comes yet another example of the good side of humanity.

Not at all. I blame the US, the EU, and their Ukrainian nationalist and oligarch collaborators. They overthrew a democratically elected government, and then waged war against eastern Ukrainians who opposed their violent seizure of power. The violent conflict--insisted upon especially by the US and its puppet government--is the proximate cause of the downed airliner and loss of life.

Obviously the Western-backed coup is ultimately to blame for the clusterfuck that is Ukraine now, but good luck getting people to see that. The problem is people don't question their own media sources, only others, so they cannot see what a US/EU power grab that was right under Putin's nose, because our media obfuscates that fact.

I mean, when do you even see the Western powers and their grab for power and control even as a topic in the news? If you only followed the mainstream media, you would not believe such a player even exists on the world stage. Yet they're everywhere, causing chaos in the middle east, allowing dangerous militants and terrorists to be set loose in Libya and Syria by their Arab allies like Qatar and Saudi Arabia (which has in turn led to the situation in Iraq), excusing Israel's oppressive regime and stirring the hornet's nest on Putin's doorstep - probably as payback for him spoiling their awful plans in Syria. It was all very calculated. The Western politicians all boycotted attending the Winter Olympics, Putin's big chance to show off as a member of the global community, and then boom, they initiated their grab in Ukraine.

lednerg

Watched it.

One issue I have is can we not assume that things like the facebook/twitter posts by the rebels have been verified by our government before our UN ambassador referenced them? Maddow certainly didn't believe that we had.

That's a good question. I'd hope we're staying away from 'aluminum tubes' kind of shit, especially when addressing the world at large. But can/should I assume we are? I don't know.

Regardless, that Maddow segment was really well done, imo.

coldvein

Banned
so is it true that america is the best country and i shouldnt ever travel anywhere because some hardline people might blow up the airplane im flying in?

DeSo

Banned
This is such a terrible situation. Rebels are destroying evidence now? Disgraceful.

Feel for everyone affected by this tragedy.

Klyka

Banned
After a friend of mine read how many AIDS experts were on the plane, he was immediately convinced the US pharma industry paid the russian seperatists to shoot the plane down.

This makes me so incredibly mad. Peoples loved ones are rotting away there. Innocent people who had nothing to do with it. I can go as far as understand that it was no ones intention to kill almost 300 people. But the looting and attempts to cover up afterwards really make my stomach turn.

You have to remember these are the same people whose grandfathers raped and looted across Europe and washed potatoes in toilet bowls and got angry when they were flushed away.

devilhawk

After a friend of mine read how many AIDS experts were on the plane, he was immediately convinced the US pharma industry paid the russian seperatists to shoot the plane down.
As a scientific researcher who has plenty of colleagues in the HIV field and several that are either are on their way to Austrailia or on another route, your friend can fo. I also have connections with many that have died.

Chariot

Soviet troops in WW2. They raped and looted everything. I imagine those looting the corpses are not that far removed.
Not saying anything about the rape, but it was war and Verbrannte Erde destroyed a lot of infrastructure. The people needed to loot to survive.

Also again: what has this to do with the ukrainians of today?

confuziz

Banned
Ah yes, crimes stay in the blood. The son of a rapist and looter will be a rapist and looter, too and so will the son of his son. Gotta love the heritage guilt.

I'm just saying that if this happened in the US, France, Germany, Netherlands, UK or any other Western country, this (probably) wouldn't have happened.

Tugatrix

Soviet troops in WW2. They raped and looted everything. I imagine those looting the corpses are not that far removed.

So does the Germans and the rest of the armies involved, all did things like that in some degree, try to pin that to one people exclusively it's absurd

Nicktendo86

The crazies are really coming out in this thread now, so I think I am going to bail soon. Feel myself getting increasing pissed off.

It is clear that the rebels are impeding the investigation. I just feel so much for the families, the bodies are already rotting I woukdsn be surprised if most are unidentifiable soon and families never get to bury their loved ones.

i-Lo

That Vice coverage of the aftermath was gut wrenching to watch. What has transpired during and since then is truly rage inducing.

Chariot

I'm just saying that if this happened in the US, France, Germany, Netherlands, UK or any other Western country, this (probably) wouldn't have happened.
First: those country are not in the middle of a civil war or rebellion.
Second: That still has nothing to do with the things their grandparents did during the war.

This is just blatant racism against east europaens.

confuziz

Banned
First: those country are not in the middle of a civil war or rebellion.
Second: That still has nothing to do with the things their grandparents did during the war.

This is just blatant racism against east europaens.

Everything is racism these days?

I'm sorry, but if you are looting corpses, you are just the scum of the earth.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
The rebels are continuing to block access to the OSCE team, the only thing they are allowing them to do is view the site from a distance. Reports are that they are removing evidence from the site too.

Everything about their reaction so far says guilty as fuck.

Fuckwads.

Kinyou

The Western politicians all boycotted attending the Winter Olympics, Putin's big chance to show off as a member of the global community, and then boom, they initiated their grab in Ukraine.
Didn't many boycott because of Russia's stand on gay rights? Seems like a good reason for me. Even if it hurts poor Putin's feelings

Chariot

I never said I supported him, but these things are in the history books.
He posted it with a clear intend to imply that the people inherited looting from their anchestors.
Or do you want to tell me he just wanted show of his vast knowledge of WWII with out wanting to say anything with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom