• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtmd

Banned
After this incident they're surely going to look at hard-wiring a small, simple emergency beacon of sorts that is entirely inaccessible and un-switch offable to anyone that transmits GPS co-ordinates on request?

Equally with some sort of fitting sensor that detects water and as soon as it does transmits the same GPS data.

Grudy

Yep only one big ping in the radar, but in reality they would just fly close to the ground to avoid radar

Bit off point but this was actually a project in my digital signal processing class at college (although it was simplified to meet our course). With proper discreet signal filtering you can actually identify more than 1 aircraft that is coming your way on the radar. However, it's tricky and I remember reading that not all radar's are capable of it (although I'm sure a military radar could).

Deku Tree

After this incident they're surely going to look at hard-wiring a small, simple emergency beacon of sorts that is entirely inaccessible and un-switch offable to anyone that transmits GPS co-ordinates on request?

Hope so. Sounds like a very smart idea. Confused as to why this was not already considered an integral part of every non-military aircraft.

CNN reporting is such a black mark to journalism

Captain Wearing a democracy is dead shirt and participating in rallies ? Thats suspicious

Co pilot inviting teen girls to cockpit ? Thats suspicious because being a son of an airline pilot i know for a fact this is a frequent occurance outside the USA

LQX

CNN reporting is such a black mark to journalism

Captain Wearing a democracy is dead shirt and participating in rallies ? Thats suspicious

Co pilot inviting teen girls to cockpit ? Thats suspicious because being a son of an airline pilot i know for a fact this is a frequent occurance outside the USA

How is it not? If the plane was hijacked and he was in on it, he was most likely pissed at his or another countries politics.

Tugatrix

Bit off point but this was actually a project in my digital signal processing class at college (although it was simplified to meet our course). With proper discreet signal filtering you can actually identify more than 1 aircraft that is coming your way on the radar. However, it's tricky and I remember reading that not all radar's are capable of it (although I'm sure a military radar could).

yeah but I doubt India, Pakistan or Turkmenistan dispose of the technology or expertise to be able to do so

Chili

How is it not? If the plane was hijacked and he was in on it, he was most likely pissed at his or another countries politics.

They're all perfectly normal activities, as is owning a simulator at home (which after seeing pictures of it is just a standard multi-monitor Flight Sim setup rather than a proper "simulator"). I understand being under investigation for obvious reasons but the media really shouldn't go crazy on twisting perfectly normal hobbies and activities into a guilty verdict.

Keio

For a Finer World
Humoring the arrogant fire in the cockpit theory from Google+, could the (claimed?) ascent to 45000' be explained by an attempt to extinguish a fire in the structure e.g. reducing oxygen available.

Still wouldn't explain the communications blackout though.

I do think the 777 piggyback theory is more interesting. How close should you try and follow the plane to make your radar signature non-suspicious enough? If the militaries are expecting a 777 to follow that path, would they ignore a slightly strange signal of two 777s instead of one?

Having certain political views is a long way removed from motive for hijacking a plane. There is a major missing link there.

It's fine to state the pilots political views but you can't connect it to him allegedly hijacking the plane. There's nothing to connect the two.

Pandemic

CNN made an interesting point. The political person that the pilot was very vocal about, was sentenced to jail on the day the flight took off.

Hammer24

Banned

I´m often pissed at my or other countries politics too, yet that doesn´t necessarily mean I´m going to take the shotgun from the trunk to proselytize some Christians.

Because the last voice was that of a co pilot after ACARS and transponders were shut off. No one knows if it was any pilot or what happened really. This is automatic guilt by associations on the level of we see in that movie 'Arlington street' where everyone creates a moment of suspicion because 'he did this means he thought this'. That's not journalism. Is anyone wearing democracy is dead when voicing his opinion against vote rigging in elections now a potential threat ? Please

Deku Tree

REUTERS
US investigators think the missing Malaysia Airlines plane most likely flew southwest over the Indian Ocean off Western Australia, Bloomberg reports citing two officials.
Satellite data showed that the plane likely flew either on that route or northwest toward Kazakhstan. The latter seems less likely since the plane would have flown through the airspace of multiple countries.

Experts agree that there’s a good chance MH370 will never be found if it’s gone into a deep and remote part of the Indian Ocean.

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-i...e-is-west-of-australia-in-indian-ocean-2014-3

US Investigators Believe Missing Malaysia Plane Is West Of Australia In Indian Ocean

May never be found...

Goodlife

CNN made an interesting point. The political person that the pilot was very vocal about, was sentenced to jail on the day the flight took off.

But surely he's make some kind of point about it?

It's a bit pointless killing yourself and over 200 people as a protest against a political movement if nobody actually knows what you're doing.

KHarvey16

Pretty much. Simple concept. A few tweaks and again an emergency 'transmit oh no I've just hit water' function thrown in.

Heck, even ignoring the human cost and going in terms of pure metal - at the moment they've no idea where a $60,000,000 aircraft is. Kinda worth it.

They already have that but it was turned off. You can't really have things in the airplane hard wired in a sense they don't even have a circuit breaker on them. It's also a very far cry from a consumer device like that to a piece of avionics equipment.

aeroslash

Humoring the arrogant fire in the cockpit theory from Google+, could the (claimed?) ascent to 45000' be explained by an attempt to extinguish a fire in the structure e.g. reducing oxygen available.

Still wouldn't explain the communications blackout though.

I do think the 777 piggyback theory is more interesting. How close should you try and follow the plane to make your radar signature non-suspicious enough? If the militaries are expecting a 777 to follow that path, would they ignore a slightly strange signal of two 777s instead of one?

No, the procedure to follow when you have a fire is to go down asap.

You know battery technology has not drastically improved in the last 20 years right? These black boxes run on battery too.

Actually it has. Significantly. It hasn't kept up with the increases in energy needs from most devices, particularly smartphones, but to say it hasn't significantly improved is very misguided.

Flo_Evans

I wonder if they are finding anything on the dudes flight sim. It seems rather obvious if he did it he would of practiced his intended route, but surely he would of wiped his hard drive before doing it? Actually if it was me (or anyone with computer knowledge) he would of just taken the hard drive with him as he would have to know that digital forensics teams could recover the deleted data?

Maybe though the intention was to have already hit his target so he didn't care?

To me it seems that a hijack, then co-pilot/passengers or crew attempting to regain control of the plane and a crash is the most likely outcome.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Not sure if it's been posted but this an interesting take on what could have happened from a pilot.

https://plus.google.com/106271056358366282907/posts/GoeVjHJaGBz

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me based on what we have heard. Unless something has changed, my understanding is that the pilot called "all right good night" after the transponder and ACARS were off. If a fire caused them to be turned off, it is very difficult to believe that he was not aware of the issue. Furthermore, for the flight to carry on for another 7 hours is difficult to believe if there was a substantial enough fire to turn off major systems and incapacitate the crew.

gutshot

I wonder if they are finding anything on the dudes flight sim. It seems rather obvious if he did it he would of practiced his intended route, but surely he would of wiped his hard drive before doing it? Actually if it was me (or anyone with computer knowledge) he would of just taken the hard drive with him as he would have to know that digital forensics teams could recover the deleted data?

Maybe though the intention was to have already hit his target so he didn't care?

To me it seems that a hijack, then co-pilot/passengers or crew attempting to regain control of the plane and a crash is the most likely outcome.

It's "would have", not "would of". Just FYI.

liquidtmd

Banned
You can't really have things in the airplane hard wired in a sense they don't even have a circuit breaker on them..

Legit question - why not and could they not engineer a solution to accomodate an isolated, last resort tracker that is embedded in a way that is wholly inaccessible?

If I were buying a fleet of Aircrafts after this, I'd want some kind of guarantee I could find it if I needed to. The success in a fundamental way of this thing just vanishing could potentially inspire potential hijackers even if this thing wasn't hijacked in the way we think.

Hammer24

Banned
Legit question - why not and could they not engineer a solution to accomodate an isolated, last resort tracker that is embedded in a way that is wholly inaccessible?

They could, but those things would have to work by satellite, which costs a lot of money. In the cut throat airline business, such costs are prohibitive, as long as not everyone is forced to have them.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me based on what we have heard. Unless something has changed, my understanding is that the pilot called "all right good night" after the transponder and ACARS were off. If a fire caused them to be turned off, it is very difficult to believe that he was not aware of the issue. Furthermore, for the flight to carry on for another 7 hours is difficult to believe if there was a substantial enough fire to turn off major systems and incapacitate the crew.

That post was 4 days ago, so some stuff probably wasn't available to him.

SummitAve

Banned
It's "would have", not "would of". Just FYI.

Excellent contribution to the thread!

Actually it has. Significantly. It hasn't kept up with the increases in energy needs from most devices, particularly smartphones, but to say it hasn't significantly improved is very misguided.

What have the significant cimprovements been? Relative to other technology, batteries have essentially remained the same.

KHarvey16

If I were buying a fleet of Aircrafts after this, I'd want some kind of guarantee I could find it if I needed to. The success in a fundamental way of this thing just vanishing could potentially inspire potential hijackers even if this thing wasn't hijacked in the way we think.

It's a safety concern. Imagine not having circuit breakers in your house. You could have a short and it would draw as much current as the smallest wire in that circuit could handle and then likely melt and catch on fire.

liquidtmd

Banned
They could, but those things would have to work by satellite, which costs a lot of money. In the cut throat airline business, such costs are prohibitive, as long as not everyone is forced to have them.

Completely agree - but in terms of costs, a $60million lost 777 is going to be compounded with an absolute catastrophic crash in the confidence of an entire Airline and even into their Tourist industry. Can they afford not to?

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Also, this pilot suicide doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. If the radar blips and pings are accurate, this was a very well planned and executed plan. I am pretty sure a pilot wouldn't go through all this just to dump it in the oceans 7 hours away.

If he intended to take the plane, then I highly doubt he ran of fuel in the middle of the ocean, pilots are pretty good at planning stuff like this.

Hammer24

Banned
Completely agree - but in terms of costs, a $60million lost 777 is going to be compounded with an absolute catastrophic crash in the confidence of an entire Airline and even into their Tourist industry. Can they afford not to?

I don´t want to be overly cynic, but that's debatable.
The financial loss will be taken up by the insurer; and a confidence loss could be explained away by lax security controls which falls in the lap of the state, not the airline.

Don´t get me wrong, they should absolutely have something like this. If EU and USA would mandate airlines to have such a thing, or airlines would be blacklisted from landing there, we´d be far better off.

Daria

But with the amount of search parties now looking everywhere possible, I would expect it's signal to be heard eventually if it's out there.

The more time that passes without debris or a black box signal, the more likely the plane was successfully stolen and landed elsewhere imo

The black box signal only works in waters up to 14k feet deep, and they have be to be in close range to it to detect the signal. The box will only be putting off a signal for about 30 days before it'll die if the emergency beacon wasn't already snapped off on impact.

liquidtmd

Banned
Saying it's "inconclusive" does not equal a "U-turn".

Point taken. However they did state categorically yesterday that it was turned off before the final words and now today they've said there's a 30min window of uncertainty - which says 'we don't know'.

Not a U-Turn. More a Microsoft 180?

Serra

While this isn't that relevant to the discussion, a 777-ER costs 260mil+. Thats quite a difference to 60mil.

Link ? Didnt read that today
If you want to find Falks excellent press conference transcripts, search the thread for 'falkrant' and you will find them all.

edit: here is the link to the relevant one http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=104699307&highlight=falkrant#post104699307

Deku Tree

While this isn't that relevant to the discussion, a 777-ER costs 260mil+. Thats quite a difference to 60mil.

The price for a brand new 777 are a lot different from the price of and old and used 777. News reports were quoting sales prices of older 777's at close to 60 million. Not sure about the age of the particular 777 that we are talking about.

Thanks

Found this too

But Malaysia Airlines CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said today that authorities don’t know exactly when ACARS was disabled, according to The New York Times. The system, which transmits updates on a regular schedule, made its last transmission at 1:07 a.m. The next transmission should have occurred at 1:37, but did not. The pilot’s last communication was at 1:19 a.m.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/...unications-timeline-104729.html#ixzz2wENSAomK

Something must have happened between 1:07 am and 1:37 am or more precisely

Between 1:19 am and 1:37 am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom