• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 108 pages of GAF reading, hours of documentaries, scouring web sites and missing sleep over this - and then coming back to work after some time off - I realized today that it is almost impossible to talk about this thing at work without sounding like a crazy person.

Read the latest news from today. They changed their minds. Now it was a window of time in which the transponder was shut down, ranging from before the last transmission until sometime afterwards.
Ok seriously though how do they NOT know which it was? Aren't all the clocks synched to actual UTC time? I just... huh?

Ok seriously though how do they NOT know which it was? Aren't all the clocks synched to actual UTC time? I just... huh?

I believe the system doesn't constantly check in with the plane just every 30 mins or so. The last confirmed check was at 7 mins past whatever hour it was and then the next check at 37 mins past the hour could not reach the plane and the system was down, that leaves a 30 minute window. However at 19 minutes past the message came from the plane saying "all right, good night". So it could have been turned off before the message or shortly after the message and that's what can't be confirmed.

gutshot

Still does not explain the lack of radio SOS, the ascent to 45,000 feet or the last few satellite pings.

The pilot was following protocol: aviate, navigate, communicate. He was too busy trying to save the lives of everyone on the plane to radio an SOS. The theory goes he flew to 45,000 feet then did a rapid descent in an attempt to extinguish the flames. The last few satellites pings came from after the pilots had been incapacitated due to the smoke and the plane was on autopilot flying out over the Indian Ocean.

AkuMifune

Banned
there's pretty much no way the plane safely landed anywhere, right

Someone would have texted. So no. If the pilot just wanted to kill everyone he could have just nosedived it into the sea.

This still strikes me as a tragedy that escalated we can't understand yet and our society seems cool with letting CNN act like TMZ.

Of course, he could have killed everyone, stolen the plane and it's currently being fitted with bombs in order to kamikaze into the white house, but I'll stick with fire until proven otherwise.

there's pretty much no way the plane safely landed anywhere, right

That the plane landed somewhere seems about as plausible to me as that it didn't based on the information known. We really just don't have much information at all. It was either over land or over the Indian Ocean at 8 am that morning.

It transmits at a set interval. They know when the last transmission was and that the next expected transmission did not arrive. That means it shut off sometime during that period but it is not possible to determine precisely what point.

The pilot was following protocol: aviate, navigate, communicate. He was too busy trying to save the lives of everyone on the plane to radio an SOS. The theory goes he flew to 45,000 feet then did a rapid descent in an attempt to extinguish the flames. The last few satellites pings came from after the pilots had been incapacitated due to the smoke and the plane was on autopilot flying out over the Indian Ocean.

It seems just as contorted as any other theory.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

You're over the water, you take a few seconds to call in an SOS with your position.

railGUN

Banned
I don't get how the plane is so distressed, doing crazy maneuvers to try to put out a fire, but then somehow keeps flying for hours. If the plane was falling apart when it made that sudden turn, it should be easy to find, no? How is it on fire and kills everyone on board near Malaysia, yet they're searching the middle of the Indian ocean.

BearPawB

Banned
I don't get how the plane is so distressed, doing crazy maneuvers to try to put out a fire, but then somehow keeps flying for hours. If the plane was falling apart when it made that sudden turn, it should be easy to find, no? How is it on fire and kills everyone on board near Malaysia, yet they're searching the middle of the Indian ocean.

That is the biggest problem with the fire theory. If something was already going wrong when they made the sudden turn, there is no way the plane lasts several more hours in the air, even with everyone dead. It would be a ball of smoke and fire.

Auto-pilot was conveniently left unscathed. I don't know, the more I think about it, the theory is just as crazy as anything else.

Tapiozona

Banned
Read the latest news from today. They changed their minds. Now it was a window of time in which the transponder was shut down, ranging from before the last transmission until sometime afterwards.

Well that definitely changes things then. Disregard my previous statement.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Again, who really knows anything at this point, but the speculation, unsupported "facts," and innuendo regarding the captain definitely gives me Sunil Tripathi vibes at least at this point.

TrueGrime

Just got back to this thread from two days ago when we were discussing pilot hijacking theories. The news from around the net is so convoluted. Any new facts we now know or is everything still theory. I'm looking at some posts right now and you guys are discussing a fire might have destroyed the plane?

syllogism

He wouldn't necessarily have to radio ATC as all he had to do is switch ELT on. It's hardwired and self-contained, so it is extremely unlikely to have been damaged

i9KqkTX.png

gutshot

That is the biggest problem with the fire theory. If something was already going wrong when they made the sudden turn, there is no way the plane lasts several more hours in the air, even with everyone dead. It would be a ball of smoke and fire.

If it was a tire fire it would have caused a lot of smoke but not necessarily a ton of damage. The smoke may have incapacitated the pilots relatively quickly but the fire may not have been big enough to take down the entire plane.

I admit it is just a theory (as is everything else at this point), but it makes more sense to me than any of the others.

REUTERS
US investigators think the missing Malaysia Airlines plane most likely flew southwest over the Indian Ocean off Western Australia, Bloomberg reports citing two officials.
Satellite data showed that the plane likely flew either on that route or northwest toward Kazakhstan. The latter seems less likely since the plane would have flown through the airspace of multiple countries.

Experts agree that there’s a good chance MH370 will never be found if it’s gone into a deep and remote part of the Indian Ocean.

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-i...e-is-west-of-australia-in-indian-ocean-2014-3

US Investigators Believe Missing Malaysia Plane Is West Of Australia In Indian Ocean

May never be found...

Thats what I predictated

crozier

After 108 pages of GAF reading, hours of documentaries, scouring web sites and missing sleep over this - and then coming back to work after some time off - I realized today that it is almost impossible to talk about this thing at work without sounding like a crazy person.
Yeah, when it comes up in the real world I just tell people I think it crashed. I'll save the conspiracy stuff for GAF, lol. Although with today's complete 180 with the facts, I'm leaning towards a fire again.

dorkimoe

With a normal plane crash they usually have a very good idea where the plane went down. In this case with the tracking devices turned off, it's much more difficult to fine some small pieces of wreckage in a massive body of water.

Yeah I didn't mean it against anyone involved in searching. Just crazy to think something like that can vanish. Makes you realize how big the world is.

I want to know why it was switched off. Then again so does everyone else

Yeah, when it comes up in the real world I just tell people I think it crashed. I'll save the conspiracy stuff for GAF, lol. Although with today's complete 180 with the facts, I'm leaning towards a fire again.

Again, it's not a "complete" 180. Just some info is hazier than initially thought.

raindoc

Swissair Flight 111

At 22:10 Atlantic Time (01:10 UTC), cruising at FL330 (approximately 33,000 feet or 10,100 metres), the flight crew (Captain Urs Zimmermann and First Officer Stephan Löw) detected an odor in the cockpit and determined it to be smoke from the air conditioning system, a situation easily remedied by closing the air conditioning vent, which a flight attendant did on Zimmermann's request. Four minutes later, the odor returned and now smoke was visible; the pilots began to consider diverting to a nearby airport for the purpose of a quick landing. At 22:14 AT (01:14 UTC), the flight crew made a "Pan-pan" radio call to ATC Moncton (which handles trans-Atlantic air traffic approaching or departing North American air space), indicating that there was an urgent problem with the flight, but not an emergency (denoted by a "Mayday" call) which would imply immediate danger to the aircraft, and requested a diversion to Boston's Logan International Airport, which at that time was 300 nautical miles (560 km) away. ATC Moncton offered the crew a vector to the closer Halifax International Airport in Enfield, Nova Scotia, 66 nm (104 km) away, which Löw accepted. The crew then put on their oxygen masks and began their descent. Zimmermann put Löw in charge of the descent while he personally ran through the two Swissair standard checklists for smoke in the cockpit, a process that would take approximately 20 minutes and become a later source of controversy.[9]

crozier

Again, it's not a "complete" 180. Just some info is hazier than initially thought.
That one fact--when the transponders were shut down, either before or after the last communication--changes everything. So not technically a 180, but you can pretty much toss your theories from yesterday out the window.

That one fact--when the transponders were shut down, either before or after the last communication--changes everything. So not technically a 180, but you can pretty much toss your theories from yesterday out the window.

The timing certainly makes things more "dramatic" in the narrative, but I don't know how it pokes holes in theories full of holes anyway. It seems minor (and highly inconclusive) to me in determining whether the pilots were "bad" or "not bad" - we don't know either way. Whether it was switched off before "goodnight' or not, doesn't seem to really matter. Maybe I'm missing something...

I refuse to believe there is a Taliban controlled airfield big enough to land a 777 (and not being detected by satillite.)

I call bullshit.

This 007 villain theory is BULLSHIT.

If it was, whats next? They fit the 777 with a big bomb and explode it over a populated city? Would be one hell of a story.

Another major problem with the fire theory...is that the fire would have set off multiple loud alarms as soon as it started...it's not something they wouldn't have been aware of...so if one of the systems went off earlier...they would have known...that and how does a plane on fire fly for that long and then make all sorts of other moves...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

It wasn't the transponders, it was ACARS which reported the engine data. It reported at 1:07 and was supposed to report again at 1:37, but did not. They have been consistent about when the transponders were disabled.

If it was, whats next? They fit the 777 with a big bomb and explode it over a populated city? Would be one hell of a story.

What do you think this story is?! Just a local newspaper blurb? :p

Who knows anymore, I'm not gonna speculate. That's a bad rabbit hole to fall into

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
HOLY SHIT.
This has linked before, but if you think that's scary check this out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SilkAir_Flight_185
Flight 185 remained level at FL350 until it started a rapid and nearly vertical dive around 16:12. While plunging through 12,000 feet (3,700 m), parts of the aircraft, including a great extent of the tail section, started to separate from the aircraft's fuselage due to high forces arising from the nearly supersonic dive.[3] Seconds later, the aircraft impacted the Musi River, near Palembang, Sumatra. The time it took the aircraft to dive from cruise altitude to the river was less than one minute. The plane was traveling faster than the speed of sound for a few seconds before impact.

There was not a single complete body, body part or limb found, as the entire aircraft and passengers disintegrated upon impact. Only six positive identifications were later obtained from the few recovered human remains

CDX

Are you allowed to use phones on a plane? And if not would they work anyway if someone didn't give a damn about the "rules"?

There are no cell phone towers in middle of the ocean.

When flying over land, even if they were directly above a cellphone tower, they likely would've been too high to get a signal.

So no.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Maybe Verizon put a tower on the aircraft carrier. This thread has been circular all weekend.

I think this plane is gone and they won't find it or find out what happened. The first clue to it's disappearance will be when a door washes up somewhere in about 6 months time. I can't think of another possible outcome given the vastness of the area that they are trying to search. I don't buy into the 'hijacked and landed' theory at all but then nor do I see why, unless it is literally the act of one person acting completely alone, some organisation has not come out and claimed it. Which leads me to believe it is indeed the actions of one person or a group of people on that plane who acted alone.

you could put this in a lot of neogaf threads

Tugatrix

This as scare tactics is brilliant, people always fear more the unknown and not knowing what happen to this plane could scare people from flying for years, hurting the economy a lot.

tino

Banned
The idea of an entire plane and all of its occupants disintegrating upon impact is so hard to wrap my head around.

Now imagine you are one of the passenger inside the plane and have conscious sitting veritcally face down screaming for the last 60 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom