• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was, whats next? They fit the 777 with a big bomb and explode it over a populated city? Would be one hell of a story.

I don't believe that someone actually landed the plane and plans to use it in some Hollywood-esque terrorist plan. That being said, if they somehow managed to actually land the plane I imagine the thought of terrorists having access to a commercial plane would be enough to cause terror in the minds of a lot of people even if they never use the thing again.

So that TOMNOD thing....does it also cover land?

Has anyone thought about the highly unlikely chance of capturing a suspicious plane in a remote location through that?

Probably not because it'd take bloody ages, but with all of the uncertainty around, there's a potential chance with it, right?

Now imagine you are one of the passenger inside the plane and have conscious sitting veritcally face down screaming for the last 60 seconds.

I highly doubt you'd be conscious during a supersonic dive. I'm pretty sure the amount of g forces being pulled would be enough to kill you well before impact.

FStop7

Banned
No fucking kidding.

A pilot cares about democracy? Terrorist!

Re inviting people to cockpit, lost track of how many times I've been in been in a cockpit, even during takeoff and landing (simply because I asked) pre-9/11. Sure, the US has changed its policies now, but I doubt other countries have all done so to the same extent. That doesn't mean the pilot was negligent, a criminal, or incompetent.

Or the photo of him sitting in front of a flight sim at home. A PILOT WITH A FLIGHT SIM WHAT DOES IT MEAN OMG THE CHILDREN THINK OF THEM

CNN/FOX/MSNBC need to be held accountable at some point for this, the Boston bombing case, etc.

Aesius

I don't believe that someone actually landed the plane and plans to use it in some Hollywood-esque terrorist plan. That being said, if they somehow managed to actually land the plane I imagine the thought of terrorists having access to a commercial plane would be enough to cause terror in the minds of a lot of people even if they never use the thing again.

The terrorist plot theory seems ludicrous, but the events of 9/11 probably seemed impossible to people before it actually happened.

Or the photo of him sitting in front of a flight sim at home. A PILOT WITH A FLIGHT SIM WHAT DOES IT MEAN OMG THE CHILDREN THINK OF THEM

CNN/FOX/MSNBC need to be held accountable at some point for this, the Boston bombing case, etc.

It's the same here with the UK press - mainly the tabloid papers though. Article on Daily Mail with the headline relating to his t shirt.

I understand the importance of the flight simulator though - they'll be checking it to see if any virtual flightplans matched the possible route of the missing plane.

Flo_Evans

I highly doubt you'd be conscious during a supersonic dive. I'm pretty sure the amount of g forces being pulled would be enough to kill you well before impact.

Eh? you wouldn't feel anything until the impact. A vertical dive is what they use to train for zero G, you would be weightless and floating around the cabin if not belted in.

You would feel something if the pilot attempted to pull up, but at that speed the control surfaces would just rip off and have little effect.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What would that look like?

Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243_fuselage.png

This picture has been used an awful lot in this thread.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Wouldn't you pass out from the G forces?

I think it depends. Humans can't withstand pretty high G forces in one dimensional acceleration. It's sharp turns that knock pilots unconscious.

But it is possible since the tail section of the plane started to disintegrate before impact, which could have put it into a spin.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
After 108 pages of GAF reading, hours of documentaries, scouring web sites and missing sleep over this - and then coming back to work after some time off - I realized today that it is almost impossible to talk about this thing at work without sounding like a crazy person.
2516508-5567548374-Fh3ro.gif

I checked out TOMNOD, but I actually find looking at vast expanses of open water pretty horrible.

Didn't help that the area it sent me to was dark because of the time it was taken. D:

This is why I try not to expose myself to these 24 hour news stations. Big incidents offer lots of viewers so they're naturally inclined to feed into crazy suspicions and shit in order to feed into the mystery aspect that cases like these have.

tino

Banned
The terrorist plot theory seems ludicrous, but the events of 9/11 probably seemed impossible to people before it actually happened.

What can the terrorist gain by blowing another building though? Let the US invade afghan one more time?

Half of the middle east country has had a political unrest and pretty much all of them has benn ruthlessly put down.

Blowing up a building in China won't do anything either. First of all Chinese government is much mre centralized. Secondly I am Chinese American and I can't even tell you which building is the most famous in China. They have a taller one put up every other year.

Now if you are talking about blowing a regilious holy site in middle east, it may have an impact bigger than 911.

P.S. NSA don't look for me, I am just joking.

Mononoke

Banned
I think this plane is gone and they won't find it or find out what happened. The first clue to it's disappearance will be when a door washes up somewhere in about 6 months time. I can't think of another possible outcome given the vastness of the area that they are trying to search. I don't buy into the 'hijacked and landed' theory at all but then nor do I see why, unless it is literally the act of one person acting completely alone, some organisation has not come out and claimed it. Which leads me to believe it is indeed the actions of one person or a group of people on that plane who acted alone.

So why did it fly for hours after it went off radar? And they already ruled out a mechanical failure the size needed to shut off both communication boxes (it would have to of been done intentionally).

This as scare tactics is brilliant, people always fear more the unknown and not knowing what happen to this plane could scare people from flying for years, hurting the economy a lot.

If you're a terrorist and you destroy a plane, you want people to think your group could do this again at any time, not think that this might be a one-in-a-billion freak accident.

LQX

This is why I try not to expose myself to these 24 hour news stations. Big incidents offer lots of viewers so they're naturally inclined to feed into crazy suspicions and shit in order to feed into the mystery aspect that cases like these have.

That should be common sense to a sensible person, especially ones pissed-off at 24/7 news....STOP watching them OR learn to decipher the BS. These people are more of problem than CNN, FOX or any of these other stations because more than anyone they regurgitate the BS trying to knock those news stations.

Its kinda interesting when someone says they don't know what happened, then proceeds to tell you what may have happened.

apana

Either somebody on that plane is a bond villain or this thing is in the ocean. As strange as it sounds I'm going with the bond villain theory.

looking at the cctv footage of the two pilots boarding, the more older captain seems cold. he doesn't seem to greet the security person and just appears cold. The younger co-pilot seems chill though, he greets the security person as well.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-26610920

what do you guys think of it

I really think nothing of it and I think it's pretty dangerous to start speculating over how 'chill' someone looks from a 10 second clip.

I really think nothing of it and I think it's pretty dangerous to start speculating over how 'chill' someone looks from a 10 second clip.

It kind of reminds me of the Boston Marathon bombing and how people would come up with elaborate theories based on the most minute details found in photos and videos.

That should be common sense to a sensible person, especially ones pissed-off at 24/7 news....STOP watching them OR learn to decipher the BS. These people are more of problem than CNN, FOX or any of these other stations because more than anyone they regurgitate the BS trying to knock those news stations.

Yes, moderation is key. Most of these channels are okay when a story first breaks, but as soon as the talking heads start pouring in, that's when you should switch off until something concrete actually comes up.

sangreal

It's almost funny. What are they even patting them down to look for? A weapon? What about the fire-axe stashed inside airliner cockpits? Or the plane itself?

But they're not just boarding their plane, they are entering the sterile side of the airport where they are mixed with the general population. If they weren't subject to security they could be used smuggle contraband for others

aeroslash

Eh? you wouldn't feel anything until the impact. A vertical dive is what they use to train for zero G, you would be weightless and floating around the cabin if not belted in.

You would feel something if the pilot attempted to pull up, but at that speed the control surfaces would just rip off and have little effect.

No, zero g training is acomplished with parabolic flights. That means going up and down all the time.

This didn't get asked on the previous page, but is there a similar thing to TOMNOD (or TOMNOD itself) which allows you to look at land? Considering one of the flight corridors is passing over numerous masses, it's a possibility that something could show up right?

Yes. I can't stand the 24/7 news cycle. I try to just tune in for facts and then switch it off when the non-fact stuff kicks in.

Even that is hard to decipher between

Deku Tree

I hope the investigators know a lot more than we do. The NYT article today seems to be almost completely convinced that it was a deliberate act carried out by a person(s) with deep confidence and knowledge about aviation, radar, and the 777 plane they were flying. It sounds like they have almost completely ruled out the possibility that this was just an unfortunate accident.

I heard that after the plane had been deemed missing loved ones were calling phones and they were still ringing.

The phones wont work it's just the default fake dial sound by the phones telecoms provider.

A Boeing 727 disappeared in 2003 and hasn't been heard from since:

According to press reports, the aircraft began taxiing with no communication between the crew and the tower; maneuvering erratically, it entered a runway without clearance. With its lights off and its transponder not transmitting, 844AA took off to the southwest, and headed out over the Atlantic Ocean. The 727 and the two men have not been seen since.

Air & Space

Sets a precedence.

IHaveIce

Banned
I had to listen to theorys of my coworkers today ugh.

One is completely convinced someone hijacked it and wanted to crash it on some island group that seems to be there which has an US military base on it.

He thinks the US shot them down and is just silent about it.

HoosTrax

I read assertion and don't know what to make of it:

“For people who don’t fly or for private pilots, it’s normal to have these kinds of things. For professional pilots, it’s unusual,” Captain John Cox, a retired pilot and founder of aviation consulting firm Safety Operating Systems, told NBC News.

So professional pilots would have no interest in trying out planes that they are not type-rated for, or messing around with fighter planes / rotary wing aircraft?

Flo_Evans

No, zero g training is acomplished with parabolic flights. That means going up and down all the time.

uh yeah, guess which part of the flight you experience zero g in?

The point is a near vertical fast dive would not cause you to black out, what causes blackout (increased G force) is sudden changes in direction, it has nothing to do with speed or angle. A sharp nose down give you negative g-forces that counteract normal gravity. Assuming due to wind resistance the plane is not falling at terminal velocity gravity would return to normal or slightly lower than normal due to downward acceleration.

aeroslash

uh yeah, guess which part of the flight you experience zero g in?

The point is a near vertical fast dive would not cause you to black out, what causes blackout (increased G force) is sudden changes in direction, it has nothing to do with speed or angle. A sharp nose down give you negative g-forces that counteract normal gravity. Assuming due to wind resistance the plane is not falling at terminal velocity gravity would return to normal or slightly lower than normal due to downward acceleration.

I've done it many times, in a small aircraft... The zero g happens when you change from a nose up to a nose down.

And i know what causes g forces, i didn't say anything about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom