• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not quite up to speed on the A330 accident and while I won't comment on the pilots being bad because I wasn't in the cockpit nor do I know their thoughts the stall warning sounded for nearly a minute.
The air France one was due to a trainee pilot holding back on the stick the entire time, the guy in command was trying to nose down a bit to improve situation but on airbus the controls operate in aggregate ( lord knows why, must be a reason I guess) the effect was that the pilot though 'I'm nosing down but it's still saying stall we should ignore the faulty warning' the captain woke up came to cockpit identified the problem and told them to nose down right at the end. They effectively stalled for I think tens of thousands of feet due to the nervous learner due to bad weather. Some of his last words were along the lines of 'we can't be losing altitude I've been pulling back the whole time!!' Followed by captian saying FUcK then everyone dying.

Tugatrix

Reports of a SOS signal at 2:43am from Flight MH370 were received at the U.S. Navy airfield in Thailand U-Tapao. The call claimed the cabin was facing disintegration and they were seeking a forced landing.

Source

that's a serious problem, could it be disintegration after crashing with something?

Mononoke

Banned
What would cause an airplane to break apart in mid air (assuming that's true). An explosion? I don't want to speculate about an attack, but can an airplane split apart purely from mechanical failure?

What would cause an airplane to break apart in mid air (assuming that's true). An explosion? I don't want to speculate about an attack, but can an airplane split apart purely from mechanical failure?

No turbulence reported in the area at time if flight. Skies were clear as a whistle.

It points to a sudden, catastrophic mechanical failure.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
There is a documented case complete with TV movie of this happening so yes. That plane landed safely with half the aircraft convertible style.

Linkhero1

I've had some pretty bad turbulence experiences in my life, some that lasted longer than I would have liked, but I can't see how the plane would have broken apart in the middle of turbulence without an pre-exisiting issue. Also, don't they usually find out how the weather is on a certain path prior to the plane leaving the airport? If it were a heavier than usual turbulence, wouldn't they have known beforehand?

Reports of a SOS signal at 2:43am from Flight MH370 were received at the U.S. Navy airfield in Thailand U-Tapao. The call claimed the cabin was facing disintegration and they were seeking a forced landing.

Source

Can't believe this. No aviation authority, let alone military, would not respond to an SOS immediately, let alone wait nearly 24 hours to report it.

Aesius

Holy fuck. Plane breaking apart in midair is so incredibly horrifying. I wonder if people fell out?

Charcoal

A lot of things could cause a mid-air break up. Major turbulence is most likely, but it could also be maintenance related before the plane left the ground.

Let's hope they find it soon so the families can have closure.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
To re-iterate what others are saying, it's hard to just lose a plane like that.
(CNN) -- How can a Boeing 777-200ER passenger jet go missing for more than a day? Turns out, it's not so easy.

That's not just because the state-of-the-art jetliner has a wing span of nearly 200 feet and a length of more than 209 feet. It's also because it's bristling with communications gear, including radios, automatic beacons, GPS and computer communications systems, according to CNN aviation correspondent Richard Quest.

In addition to carrying UHF and VHF radios, the planes -- which cost more than $250 million apiece -- are equipped with Aircraft Communications and Reporting System technology. Embedded in the plane's computers, it tells the airline how the aircraft is performing -- speed, fuel, thrust. "If anything fails, it will send a signal to Malaysia Airlines," Quest said.

Though officials do not know what happened to Flight MH370, whatever it may have been must have been catastrophic, he said. "Planes don't fall out of the sky at 36,000 feet."
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/08/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-jet-missing/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Daft_Cat

Yup. Catastrophic mechanical failures result in chain reactions that can lead to all kinds of things. Might've even triggered an explosion.

Daria

A lot of things could cause a mid-air break up. Major turbulence is most likely, but it could also be maintenance related before the plane left the ground.

Let's hope they find it soon so the families can have closure.

The skies were clear during the time of the flight and there were no other weather conditions going on at the time.

Since the Lockerbie/Pan Am 103 anniversary last year, I spent a good month or so reading up on and watching documentaries about commercial airline disasters. There are a lot of things that could potentially lead to disaster en route to a plane's destination that don't involve a bomb or explosion.

HoosTrax

Metal fatigue can be catastrophic, but necessarily. There were two instances of Southwest Airlines 737s that had holes form in their fuselage suddenly, with subsequent cabin depressurization. They landed safely without incident.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Possible, but incredibly unlikely. Unless the fuel tanks somehow exploded, there's not much chance of a plane just breaking apart.

UA232precrash.jpg

This was United 232. The #3 engine on the tail had a fin totally shatter mid flight, sending shrapnel through the fuselage and tail (you can see some holes in the tail). Plane held together, though the hydraulics on the plane were totally ruined. The plane managed to land, but flipped upon landing, but over half the passengers survived. Which is pretty incredible given how horrific the crash was.

Probably one of the most dramatic examples was Aloha Airlines Flight 243.

Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243_fuselage.png

As you can see, a large section of the roof was ripped off. Sadly one flight attendant was killed when she was blown out, but the plane landed safely.

Juicy Bob

This is starting to remind me of Lockerbie, now.

Of course, there's far too little information at the moment to start jumping to conclusions, though.

pariah164

Jesus fucking Christ. This is terrifying. My thoughts and prayers to the families of those on board.

This is more than likely not ending well, especially since oil slicks have been found.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I clearly don't understand the significance of the two stolen passports. Someone please explain.

Daria

U.S. Navy is sending the USS Pinckney (destroyer) to assist in the search.

Source

I clearly don't understand the significance of the two stolen passports. Someone please explain.

There is none, really. Thailand has a large black-market for passports and these were stolen two years ago. Coincidence maybe, but this doesn't seem to be a terror attack of any kind. No group is claiming responsibility for this (yet but still probably not true).

Mononoke

Banned

Basically, the odds that two stolen passports (from different regions), end up being used on the same flight...is astronomical! Or rather, it would seem more likely it was intentional. The leap in logic then is, why would people with two stolen passports be on the same flight?

So the suggestion is it's a terrorist attack. You can't really jump to that conclusion though. Odd to say the least.

EDIT: Terrorists would use fake passports to get by, if they are already flagged. I'm not buying into this theory (because I don't like to speculate). But that's what is being speculated.

The two stolen passports were apparently bought through China Southern, which code shares the flight. That narrows it down to 2 Ukrainians, 1 Chinese, 1 Dutch and 1 Malaysian.

Seems likely that the passports were used by the Ukrainians (the passports were Italian and Austrian).

Well that's interesting.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Terrorists could've used the stolen passports to board the plane. They would've been necessary if they were on no-fly lists.

Reports of two stolen passports on board the flight:

Source

The two stolen passports were apparently bought through China Southern, which code shares the flight. That narrows it down to 2 Ukrainians, 1 Chinese, 1 Dutch and 1 Malaysian that have been accounted for.

Seems likely that the passports were used by the Ukrainians (the passports were Italian and Austrian). There's lots of cases of Eastern Europeans traveling on fake documents in this region. Probably nothing to do with the crash.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Doesn't imply anything, but two stolen passports rather than one imply there were likely two cooperating persons on that plane who had stolen passports, hence is an interesting potential lead if it turns out there was foul play. It could also mean nothing if there are a lot of people with stolen passports in the region.

FTF

Source

cabin disintegration…fuck, that is some scary shit.

Means that the plane was breaking apart midair.

Jesus Christ that sounds fucking horryfiying.
For any of the passengers who might've died, I hope they weren't blown out while it was in mid air. That's one of the scariest things imaginable.

As with the passports, it can go either ways honestly. Could've been two people who bought it from the black market and just wanted to go home, or could've been terrorists. Hoping for the former.

LegoArmo

Stolen and fake passports are relatively common in that part of the world.

My grandfather met a women online and brought her and her children to the UK with 3 stolen passports of people who looked nothing like them.

Mononoke

Banned
Stolen and fake passports are relatively common in that part of the world.

My grandfather met a women online and brought her and her children to the UK with 3 stolen passports of people who looked nothing like them.

You have a point. I mean, if passports being stolen and re-sold happens a lot, the odds of two stolen passports coming together, actually isn't that improbable. Consider that, the two people with the stolen passports were family, friends, and went on the flight together. It's conceivable that they both bought the stolen passports at the same time.

So good point.

Metal fatigue, leading to a crack, leading to explosive decompression. Has happened in the past on a 747.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines_Flight_611#Metal_fatigue
This was one of the tragedies that stuck out the most to me, when I went on my airline disaster reading binge a few months ago. China Airlines 611 came apart in midair and killed 200+ passengers because of a shoddy repair on a portion of the fuselage conducted over twenty years before the fatal accident occurred. It's mind-boggling to think of how many hours, how many flights and how many people flew that aircraft before that one little problem because a colossal, life-ending disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom