• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine who has been following this as well says they lost communications ~40 minutes into the flight. And something with the path that it took doesn't seem right. The straight line to Hong Kong it shows on the tracker is not the flight path.

malaysia%20flight.gif

The flight path being the purple line? It's not too much of a deviation.... There could be a few reasons for slight deviations from set flight routes, wind patterns being the main one.

The point where MH370 disappears off the gif is the southern part of the Gulf of Thailand. That's where the international boundaries of Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand are. That's where the search today was conducted. I've heard they're expanding the search area for the second day.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Damn man the no communication from the crew makes me think something insane and sudden happend.. Like an explosion :/

Daria

Where the hell is this plane... So weird to just disappear at 35,000 feet and can't find the wreckage site..

The wreckage site is most likely the ocean and it's in hundred of pieces. The plane falling from 35,000ft is not going to just float up to the top, especially since most of the parts on the 777 were aluminum whereas other models are not and would not sink so easily.

Phoenix

Where the hell is this plane... So weird to just disappear at 35,000 feet and can't find the wreckage site..

It took them 2 years to find Air France. They've found some oil slicks so its likely in that area, but the ocean rarely gives up its secrets easily.

Vietnam's estimated crash site is 10 000 km2, with Malaysia's double that.
It was already midnight when the ships arrived.

Yeah it's not gonna be that fast.

Damn, I almost had tears in my eyes when I imagined I were one of those relatives, going crazy, waiting in desperation for any news, even if it is to confirmed that the aircraft crashed and everyone was killed. At least it would be easier to breathe than this.

I can't sleep. It's nearly 6am here.

Someone I know was on that plane and it's just somehow more comforting staying awake and following every last bit of news or speculation on the plane than trying to close my eyes.

:(

A friend of mine who has been following this as well says they lost communications ~40 minutes into the flight. And something with the path that it took doesn't seem right. The straight line to Hong Kong it shows on the tracker is not the flight path.

malaysia%20flight.gif
What website is being used in that gif to track flights? Anyone know?

Mononoke

Banned
I can't sleep. It's nearly 6am here.

Someone I know was on that plane and it's just somehow more comforting staying awake and following every last bit of news or speculation on the plane than trying to close my eyes.

:(

I'm really sorry you are going through this, must be a nightmare. Just know you have any of us to talk to you, if you need it.

seanoff

malaysia%20flight.gif

it was on track. the direct path and the flightpath are different things.

seanoff

for those of you wondering.

it's been dark in this timezone for the last 12 hrs. i'm just out of bed. searching at sea in the dark from aircraft is a waste of time, money and pilot hours.

the search resumes at first light in the area where flight radar (and everybody else) lost the signal.

unlike AF447, this aircraft is assumed to be down in ocean depths of 45 - 50m.

Business

Jumptoconclusiongame.png

Seems to always be the case with regards to aircrafts. Even more so leaving a Muslim country me thinks.

The thing is that not always you get two passengers flying with stolen passports. Why were these guys flying with fake identities? Honest question are there any restrictions for Malaysian nationals immigration into China that may justify that?

Imm0rt4l

this is the track for that route. that plane was spot on and about to turn right. nothing to do with wx or anything else.

This assumes that the pilot intended to stay on that course.
The thing is that not always you get two passengers flying with stolen passports. Why were these guys flying with fake identities? Honest question are there any restrictions for Malaysian nationals immigration into China that may justify that?
Fake passports are a little more common in that part of the world. It could be nothing. Could be terrorism.

Jezbollah

Apparently at least one Sunday newspaper in the UK is trying to imply that the plane disappearing is an act of terrorism.

Having not seen the article, I'm sure they've dotted the dots between the plane's disappearance and the cases of the two passengers flying with stolen passports.

Jumping to conclusion, perhaps. But it's certainly an avenue that will be investigated.

Imm0rt4l

Why wouldn't he? The jet streams are already accounted for in the flight plan. And it was reported that there wasn't any weather in the zone.
I don't know. Maybe the pilot may have realized an issue with the plane and wanted to get on a path that would get them over land the fastest. Conjecture on my part.

seanoff

unless you plan on losing your job, you stay on track.

that is the track for KUL-SVG. you deviate for WX, TCAS, aliens etc. otherwise you (or more correctly your flight director) stays on that track. there are very few valid reasons for going more than a few NM off it.

Business

Fake passports are a little more common in that part of the world. It could be nothing. Could be terrorism.

I agree it could be nothing, my point though was there's something this time that could actually point to terrorism, so it's not totally baseless like you implied.

Imm0rt4l

I agree it could be nothing, my point though was there's something this time that could actually point to terrorism, so it's not totally baseless you like implied.
I'm not saying its baseless. I'm just saying its not reason to sound the alarms in newspapers without hard evidence.

Malaysians require a visa to enter China. As do Austrians and Italians, which is where the two stolen passports were issued. BUT, China does not require visas for passengers transiting to other international flights from within China providing the stay is of 72 hours and below.

There's speculation that the two people travelling on stolen passports may have been involved in some illicit activity, say money laundering or drugs, and travelling through the region with a library of passports, some of which are fake. They'll definitely investigate whether China issued travel visas to these passports matching the MH370 itinerary. As a rule, they would be checked to see if they had valid visas for China at the Malaysian Airlines check in, unless they were transiting through.

The link to terrorism is tenuous, although on the surface it's easy to connect disparate dots and run amok with theories.

Mononoke

Banned
NBCNews is saying the same thing. Not that it's definite but a possibility due to the stolen passports.

Yeah, I'm starting to see a lot of news articles pick up on this. I mean, we already knew about the passports. But it seems like a lot of articles are now making it a focus with "what does this mean" coverage. I guess if there is no new info going forward, these are the kinds of stories they will push, since they have nothing else to talk about.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
A bit sad that everybody WANTS to jump to a terrorism angle. People cross borders illegally every day, it's just what happens. I really hope if doesn't turn out to be terrorism because then people that can't think logically will be all 'see I knew it' and the stupid will spread a bit

Madness

Is it possible for planes to have a floatation device on them in case they need to land on water? I wonder if that's possible...

Not for commercial airplanes, just the sheer weight and speed coming in, with the force of the water tears through the plane. There have been a few water landings before, most notably the Hudson River one.

I believe some planes have abilities to close off valves and fuel pumps and to slow flooding in case of a water landing.

But at nighttime, in the middle of an ocean it would be near impossible to gauge the water level perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom