• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

The pilot could not program the plane without the co-pilot's knowledge?

Not as far as I know. Some systems I believe let you download flight information from a memory device but that's usually a pretty secure process and it would be in full view of anyone in the cockpit. Maybe if he had left for whatever reason but then he would have to return before saying good night to ATC.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
The pilot could not program the plane without the co-pilot's knowledge?
"I'm adding these waypoints in just in case of emergency landing"
or
"You take care of this checklist, I'll set the autopilot. Don't mind me"
or
The co-pilot did not know the autopilot was set...because he was already murdered.

aeroslash

It's impossible for someone to know if the turn was pre-programmed in the flight plan of the fms or done manually without the blackbox. Impossible.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Then how did they come up with that list of destinations he practiced landing at?

I'm guessing to have those places, you need to download them somehow. So there were at least still files related to the download of those locations, something like that.

I'm guessing to have those places, you need to download them somehow. So there were at least still files related to the download of those locations, something like that.

Or more likely that those were just airports available on the program. I doubt the media (or those leaking information to it) bothered to distinguish between that and routes/airports that were actually practiced. I've yet to see anything suspicious reported so far as regards the simulator, but time will tell I suppose.

crozier

Couldn't the pilot have easily made an excuse to get the copilot out of the room? The copilot basically has to follow orders anyhow. If they didn't request to fly together, I'm leaning away from both being involved.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Or more likely that those were just airports available on the program. I doubt the media (or those leaking information to it) bothered to distinguish between that and routes/airports that were actually practiced. I've yet to see anything suspicious reported so far as regards the simulator, but time will tell I suppose.

It wasn't the media who specified those five airports, it was the authorities who said "the top five". What top five means is unclear.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I overheard people talking about this. The funniest thing to me is this widespread idea that a pilot owning a flight simulator is somehow suspicious. God forbid they realize I, a private citizen, own and use Arma 3, a military simulator. They would probably think I was doing practice runs to prepare and assault on several small Greek islands.

Yep, a pilot owns a flight simulator and practices landings he might use in real life. Reeeeeeal suspicious.

I don't think it's suspicious but certainly something worth investigating just in case.

sphinx

the piano man
I haven't been able to follow this story as close as I should but everyone paying attention to it,

I kindly ask of you: once the mystery is genuinely resolved PLEASE POST A NEW THREAD, or ask a mod to update the topic line with an updated line.

Forsete

Couldn't the pilot have easily made an excuse to get the copilot out of the room? The copilot basically has to follow orders anyhow. If they didn't request to fly together, I'm leaning away from both being involved.

IIRC not anymore.
There were changes how co-pilots act against the captain. If the captain is doing something stupid it is now the co-pilots duty to interact.
They changed things around after numerous air disasters which were caused by stupid shit done by captains while the co-pilot was sitting around passive "not daring" questioning the captain.

I think leaving the cockpit would be one of those situations: "How about no?". :p

Re: programming timing...

The change in direction was made at least 12 minutes before co-pilot Fariq Abdul Hamid said "All right, good night," to controllers on the ground, the sources said.

The revelation further indicates that the aircraft's mysterious turnaround was planned and executed in the cockpit before controllers lost contact with Flight 370. But it doesn't necessarily indicate an ulterior motive.

"Some pilots program an alternate flight plan in the event of an emergency," cautioned Greg Feith, a former National Transportation Safety Board crash investigator and NBC News analyst.

"We don't know if this was an alternate plan to go back to Kuala Lumpur or if this was to take the plane from some place other than Beijing," the doomed flight's intended destination, Feith said

Here's the article: http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/mis...ces-say-n56151

CNN is such a shody place to get news

90% is inclined towards the possibility that every news is seen from the eyes of malicious intent when the fact is no one knows the facts and its 50 50

I just watched CNN for the first time in several months, as I usually watch news from Canadian, UK, and Middle-East Sources. I was literally in awe at how fucking gaudy the station is- with all the anchors manipulating 3D planes and bullshit. It just gave me a bad taste in my mouth, as it contributed nothing except being a spectacle. They had a "panel of experts" on, responding to moronic tweets, and I was so much in awe at the stupidity I ended up watching for over an hour. Half these "experts" had unbalanced and sensational conspiracy theories, and just seemed to unprofessional with their jumping to conclusions and assumptions, from giving out the website to buy chinese cellphone jammers, to stating that American airlines are safer than any other airline. The one guy that suggested there's no point in all this speculation before all the facts have come in was promptly attacked by everyone, for such a heinous suggestion. What they were doing was "investigative" work.

What a fucking joke of a news channel. I'm glad I don't get Fox News, I'd probably get a hernia. You only realize how sensational and shitty CNN is, after you get used to other non-US news stations.

I just watched CNN for the first time in several months, as I usually watch news from Canadian, UK, and Middle-East Sources. I was literally in awe at how fucking gaudy the station is- with all the anchors manipulating 3D planes and bullshit. It just gave me a bad taste in my mouth, as it contributed nothing except being a spectacle. They had a "panel of experts" on, responding to moronic tweets, and I was so much in awe at the stupidity I ended up watching for over an hour. Half these "experts" had unbalanced and sensational conspiracy theories, and just seemed to unprofessional with their jumping to conclusions and assumptions, from giving out the website to buy chinese cellphone jammers, to stating that American airlines are safer than any other airline. The one guy that suggested there's no point in all this speculation before all the facts have come in was promptly attacked by everyone, for such a heinous suggestion. What they were doing was "investigative" work.

What a fucking joke of a news channel. I'm glad I don't get Fox News, I'd probably get a hernia. You only realize how sensational and shitty CNN is, after you get used to other non-US news stations.

CNN went to shit when they started having all those "experts" give their biased opinions on what happens during any given event...

Actually I take that back, all TV news went to shit when they started using experts to explain things instead of actually leaving the experts out and telling the damn news.

Jarmel

Banned
At the moment the most key scenarios are:

- The most unfortunate series of technical events, fire and smoke in 777 history happened that incapacitated the crew before any communications at all could be made, and made the flight fly out into the sea on auto-pilot until it ran out of fuel

- The pilots / mystery persons for reasons unknown disabled the comms and pulled the most jive flight manouervers witnessed outside Top Gun and flew underneath another jet to escape radar to a destination unknown for reasons unknown. No group or individual has made ransom or political demands, mainly because they may be looking to use the 777 again to crash into somewhere which would be very sensible since its dramatic disappearance has put probably 75% of the worlds radars on high alert for a missing 777.

- The pilot or co-pilot who otherwise seemed normal with solid backgrounds decided to commit suicide in the most bizarre way without telling anyone and taking 200+ people with them.

Clear as day.

First scenario is suspect since all indications point the comms being turned off as premeditated.

This whole thing sounds absolutely insane.

Maybe the Rapture is starting to roll out and God took the whole plane.

greepoman

Don't know if it's been suggested but what if the preprogrammed route was actually a move to thwart separate hijackers that had entered the cockpit? Hijackers demand to fly somewhere and the pilot programs this route to take it out to sea away from stuff then makes them sign off however many minutes later normally. After hijackers realize what was done they execute the pilots in anger but now no one really knows how to fly the plane and it goes until it crashes in the ocean.

I haven't been able to follow this story as close as I should but everyone paying attention to it,

I kindly ask of you: once the mystery is genuinely resolved PLEASE POST A NEW THREAD, or ask a mod to update the topic line with an updated line.

You'll be hitting that refresh for years.

Don't know if it's been suggested but what if the preprogrammed route was actually a move to thwart separate hijackers that had entered the cockpit? Hijackers demand to fly somewhere and the pilot programs this route to take it out to sea away from stuff then makes them sign off however many minutes later normally. After hijackers realize what was done they execute the pilots in anger but now no one really knows how to fly the plane and it goes until it crashes in the ocean.

The 9/11 hijackers learned how to fly planes because they knew no pilot would crash a plane into anything on demand. In any other hijack situation you land where the hijackers tell you and hope you're negotiated or rescued to safety, you don't immediately doom the plane to an ocean crash.

greepoman

The 9/11 hijackers learned how to fly planes because they knew no pilot would crash a plane into anything on demand. In any other hijack situation you land where the hijackers tell you and hope you're negotiated or rescued to safety, you don't immediately doom the plane to an ocean crash.

Not all plans are well thought out. I dont think every hijacker knows how to fly a plane.

I don't see this mentioned but what if the plane was redirected by the pilot (either deliberately or commandeered) and then it was shot down by a military defense (US, Chinese, Thai or any one of the others that the plane crossed their airspace) because they didn’t respond to communication attempts?

The country that did this is hush because it would be a global nightmare for them and has been able to hide all evidence.

Haines

Banned
It blows my mind that in the year 2014 the world can lose a plane with no explanation.

I said that on like page 45 and a guy said that whole ship was lost not to long ago and that the ocean is a big place.

i agree tho. i dont think they will find the plane. i havent since a couple days after it was gone.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
You can hardly blame people for remaining in wonder regarding this mystery. Some of you act like this is common, or that it doesn't defy rational explanation.

This story is so bizarre. At this point there's only one theory that doesn't have holes in it:

tumblr_n2cp3xFMgQ1qedb29o2_500.gif

Imm0rt4l

Err.. no. It's one of the most advanced, well funded and cutting edge industries around.
ATC and is actually pretty anticquated. Next gen is here but switching over isn't so simple as you'd have to integrate the new systems into every aircraft. Also the field is filled with baby boomers, though I'm not sure if they're all reluctant to change. But they are mostly all on their way out for retirement.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Nobody would survive a fall into the ocean, its basically concrete

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Airlines_Flight_961

One hundred and twenty-five of the 175 passengers and crew members were killed, as well as all three hijackers. Many of the passengers who died survived the initial crash, but they had disregarded or did not hear Leul's warning not to inflate their life jackets inside the aircraft, causing them to be pushed against the ceiling of the fuselage by the inflated life jackets when water flooded in. Unable to escape, they drowned. An estimated 60 to 80 passengers, strapped to their seats, presumably drowned.[3][24]

50 people survived this and more would have survived if they hadn't inflated life jackets when the water flooded in.

Serra

Honestly I feel bad for the pilots and their families. CNN and other shitty outlets are pointing the finger at them.

Blader

I believe this too. They are just looking in the wrong area, and by now the debris field will be impossible to find.

They're not looking in the wrong area, the problem is that the search area is too fucking big.

If it actually did crash in the Indian Ocean, it will be years before it's ever found, if it's ever found at all -- which is very likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom