• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Airlines_Flight_961

50 people survived this and more would have survived if they hadn't inflated life jackets when the water flooded in.

Both of you are correct in this scenario. The only reason as many people survived in this incident as did is because the pilot specifically ditched as close as he could to land such that they were easily accessed for rescue. I would expect that an experience pilot/crew such as the ones in this flight would have been trying to do the same.

bill0527

They're not looking in the wrong area, the problem is that the search area is too fucking big.

If it actually did crash in the Indian Ocean, it will be years before it's ever found, if it's ever found at all -- which is very likely.

It took them 70+ years to find the Titanic, and everyone knew the general area where it sank.

It won't take that long thanks to today's technology, but still...it ain't easy to find something thats likely on the bottom of the ocean, especially if you have no clue where to look.

Phoenix

Are airline pilots regularly checked for substance abuse?

Define regularly. Substance abuse and psychological tests are performed often, but that would vary from country to country and airline to airline. Much like aircraft maintenance, the standards in place for pilots varies a lot in various countries.

Phoenix

Well, real breaking news still is. Breaking news makes no sense for a 24/7 network because they have no other programming to break into

The would be breaking into coverage of a different story, the same way a traditional TV news station would say "This just in" if they were covering weather and a meteor crashed into Air Force One.

mnannola

..."well people want us to present all the options."

CNN in a nutshell.

"John is a professor at the University of Education, and he believes the plane turned into a nuclear submarine and is planning a terrorist attack. That is a fascinating theory John, can you expand on it for the next 30 minutes?"

So I haven't kept up with this thread, but I have friends who believe that this plane was commandeered, and it will eventually be repainted, given a new tail and call sign, and then used to hit a building in a few years.

Not the craziest shit I've heard. Makes the mind wander though.

Ovid

Well, real breaking news still is. Breaking news makes no sense for a 24/7 network because they have no other programming to break into
Breaking News - Car Fire on I-95

What?

CNN in a nutshell.

"John is a professor at the University of Education, and he believes the plane turned into a nuclear submarine and is planning a terrorist attack. That is a fascinating theory John, can you expand on it for the next 30 minutes?"
LOL. It's funny watching these talking heads give their take on aviation. Hilarious.

Ovid

-- I found it quite depressing.
Stutter and stammering their way though
conversations.

Also, how many times is CNN going to Martin Savage in the cockpit? They try to explain shit to the average viewer and it just makes it more confusing.

Stop it already.

I refuse to believe there is a Taliban controlled airfield big enough to land a 777 (and not being detected by satillite.)

I call bullshit.

This 007 villain theory is BULLSHIT.

this.

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but if the plane had crashed wouldn't the black box be broadcasting its location?

Once it's in the sea it can't broadcast it's beacon far from what I've read in this thread.

So nothing was ever heard from the passengers during all this ? If there were a hijacking you'd think they'd try to send the word out on their mobiles like the 9/11 passengers.

Phones don't work in planes so far away from a phone mast and the plane didn't have consumer-access-wifi enabled/installed.

It's been reported to be part of the data transferred over ACARS.

How is it coming out now then? Havn't they had the data for a while?

so what did i miss from yesterday?

Pilot deleted some files from his computer.

If this was a plane that left the US, they would have found it hours after.

Im not trying to sound like a dick, but It is my belief.

I don't know what you're trying to go with here...but nope.

liquidtmd

Banned
If this was a plane that left the US, they would have found it hours after.

Im not trying to sound like a dick, but It is my belief.

How do you figure when A) No information is known on the circumstamces, B) the criteria to duplicate the facts that 'are' known is a non country specific issue due to the nature of the plane and tracking technology involved and C) you've got 26 countries, including the U.S, who currently can't find this thing.

riotous

Banned
Even for a fundie, wouldn't that be at least another couple thousand years off anyway? I wasn't aware the Ark was sailing during the time of Jesus.

The irony being that it's almost like he's claiming the Ark is fictional. Of course he didn't even get the timing of when the story was written right, but assuming he thinks it was part of the New Testament he's saying it was created when it was written about.

JLG-

f1nZjuW.png

Pandemic

A simple computer upgrade that Malaysia Airlines decided not to purchase would have provided critical information to help find the airliner that disappeared 11 days ago.

The upgrade, which wholesales for about $10 per flight, would have provided investigators with the direction, speed and altitude of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 even after other communications from the plane went dark, said a satellite industry official familiar with the equipment.

Data from a similar computer upgrade allowed investigators in the crash of an Air France jetliner in 2009 to quickly narrow their search area to a radius of about 40 miles in the Atlantic Ocean, and in five days, they found floating evidence of the crash.

The ocean search for the missing Malaysian flight now covers a vast expanse of water, about 2.24 million square nautical miles of the Indian Ocean from the west coast of Malaysia to the waters off Perth, Australia.
Source

$10 per flight would end up being pretty expensive, but could've definitely helped a lot..

Totakeke

Companies don't go out of their way to pay for things that might only occur less than a hundredth or a percent or maybe even less. If you operated that way you'll have very high operating costs.

It's another thing for the aviation regulations to mandate such functions though, which is what they should do.

Blader

It took them 70+ years to find the Titanic, and everyone knew the general area where it sank.

It won't take that long thanks to today's technology, but still...it ain't easy to find something thats likely on the bottom of the ocean, especially if you have no clue where to look.

I know next to nothing about deepsea diving, but there have to be some trenches that are just completely inaccessible to us, aren't there? All I'm saying is that if the wreckage sank into some area like that, it'd never be found.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Companies don't go out of their way to pay for things that might only occur less than a hundredth or a percent or maybe even less. If you operated that way you'll have very high operating costs.

It's another thing for the aviation regulations to mandate such functions though, which is what they should do.

Would be nice if this and the whole issue with GM and Toyota currently would shed some light on this for the general public, but then you look all the way back to the Pinto and wonder how the big companies can always manage to sweep these things under the rug.

Jarrod38

I know next to nothing about deepsea diving, but there have to be some trenches that are just completely inaccessible to us, aren't there? All I'm saying is that if the wreckage sank into some area like that, it'd never be found.

Time to call James Cameron then?

Coins

Banned
this.

Once it's in the sea it can't broadcast it's beacon far from what I've read in this thread.

Phones don't work in planes so far away from a phone mast and the plane didn't have consumer-access-wifi enabled/installed.

If that black box was pinging in the ocean a US submarine would have found it. I've tracked shrimp from miles away, a black box wouldn't be any problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom