• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm LTTP on this, but the news coverage here in the U.S. has been absolutely insane.

I don't think I've ever seen a story with so much coverage contain so little information and/or crazy conspiracy theories. And that includes 9/11.

I'm LTTP on this, but the news coverage here in the U.S. has been absolutely insane.

I don't think I've ever seen a story with so much coverage contain so little information and/or crazy conspiracy theories. And that includes 9/11.

It's hilarious how all they do is keep bringing on "experts" who just repeat the same info about how planes and avionics works again and again and again.

Or they offer their theory on what happened which is the same as every other guy they got on.

Ty4on

Just saw this BBC analysis and it sounds like they're closing in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26654971

Apparently, the plane can only be at the end of each arc due to math/geometry? And the plane was heading due south until it ran out of fuel?

I've also thought it went south due to the lack of later radar sightings, but it still seems so odd. Why head off nowhere in a functioning aircraft? I'm pretty sure whoever did this knew how to use a compass and the only thing in range going south is water. Wouldn't surprise me if even if the plane is found the CVR will tell us nothing because it only records the last two hours (think I read that was the duration for 777 recorder).

Feel bad for the passengers. Hope they died quickly at 45000 ft. Would have been horrible to to be trapped airplane for 7 hours with only the ocean on the horizon...and who knows what the pilot said on the com line to scare the passengers.

Feel bad for the passengers. Hope they died quickly at 45000 ft. Would have been horrible to to be trapped airplane for 7 hours with only the ocean on the horizon...and who knows what the pilot said on the com line to scare the passengers.

I'd like to point out that we don't know that the pilot was some kind of murderous lunatic. That is unless I missed some really big news recently.

Just saw this BBC analysis and it sounds like they're closing in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26654971

Apparently, the plane can only be at the end of each arc due to math/geometry? And the plane was heading due south until it ran out of fuel?

The information about the other data points is what I've been waiting for. Indications that it was moving in a steady path in terms of angle difference per ping lends a lot of credence to the plane having gone down in the southern Indian Ocean. Had it gone north and landed somewhere, I think you'd see more variety in distance covered between each ping, and a notable shortening for the last one. Tough to believe someone would come up with a plan to steal the plane, sneak it past radar AND use every drop of fuel to get there.

I'd like to point out that we don't know that the pilot was some kind of murderous lunatic. That is unless I missed some really big news recently.

Well, pilot in this case could refer to whoever was flying the plane, or entering commands to the autopilot.

Formosa

HqmMWKl.jpg

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
I can't stop watching cnn even if they repeat the same old thing all day

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

The news outlets seem to be trying to play up this angle, with big stories on how they've consulted with the FBI because there is deleted data on their home simulator...as if nobody has ever deleted a file before.

Salmonax

Yeah, this narrative has gone way too far. Chances are this thing is at the bottom of the ocean and the pilot did all he could. That's much less interesting, unfortunately.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
The news outlets seem to be trying to play up this angle, with big stories on how they've consulted with the FBI because there is deleted data on their home simulator...as if nobody has ever deleted a file before.
The pilot specifically deleted log files related to the flight sim a month before this happened.

This does not prove beyond a reasonable doubt anything, but you have to ask why? Logs files aren't even that big in size, if it was video recording it'd be more understandable.

FTF

wtf...CNN's headline of their most recent panel just read "black hole? Bermuda triangle?" only caught like 30 seconds of the discussion but smh.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
wtf...CNN's headline of their most recent panel just read "black hole? Bermuda triangle?" only caught like 30 seconds of the discussion but smh.
Channel 9 here in Australia did this terrible tabloid-y 'REAL LIFE DRAMA OF MH370' segment the other night, with dramatic reenactment footage and clips of people crying - just a tacky, voyeuristic mess. Especially considering the case is still ongoing.

FTF

Also, that footage of the mother breaking down and being forcibly removed from the last press conference screaming was tough to watch :(

Hope they find this plane and have some real answers soon :/

duckroll

This is what happens when there is a culture of an audience demanding unfiltered news 24/7. Some people are so obsessed with wanting to be able to keep up with something all the time that they disregard the reality that sometimes there is simply nothing to report. So to cater to this audience news networks which make money from such viewers have no choice but to lower their standards more and more just to find something for people to watch. It's really sad.

Channel 9 here in Australia did this terrible tabloid-y 'REAL LIFE DRAMA OF MH370' segment the other night, with dramatic reenactment footage and clips of people crying - just a tacky, voyeuristic mess. Especially considering the case is still ongoing.

Had to roll my eyes at the ad and make sure we changed the channel
after the Block finished

JPodz

Banned
Australian PM says new and credible information has come to light on two objects in southern Indian Ocean related to Malaysian plane search
— Reuters India (@ReutersIndia)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Australia's prime minister says objects possibly related to the missing Malaysia Airlines flight have been spotted on satellite imagery.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott told Parliament in Canberra on Thursday that a Royal Australian Airforce Orion has been diverted to the area to attempt to locate the objects. The Orion is expected to arrive in the area Thursday afternoon. Three additional aircraft are expected to follow for a more intensive search.

--AP

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
beattttttt
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/thai-radar-might-have-tracked-missing-plane

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Australia's prime minister says objects possibly related to the missing Malaysia Airlines flight have been spotted on satellite imagery.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott told Parliament in Canberra on Thursday that a Royal Australian Airforce Orion has been diverted to the area to attempt to locate the objects. The Orion is expected to arrive in the area Thursday afternoon. Three additional aircraft are expected to follow for a more intensive search.

MIMIC

Banned
"Objects related"?

WTF? Why don't they call it "debris"? Or are they not even sure that it's indicative of a crash?

EDIT: It's on CNN now

"Objects related"?

WTF? Why don't they call it "debris"? Or are they not even sure that it's indicative of a crash?

EDIT: It's on CNN now

"Objects possibly related"

I think they're holding off on actually calling it debris until they can be more certain.

Thursday afternoon - so a few hours from now? Man I hope they find something. I mean it would be great if someone were alive obviously but if that's not the case I hope we can find out what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom