• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I'm sticking by the fire on board, turn to the runway for emergency landing just off Malaysia.

all passed out or died from smoke inhalation before landing could be made.
course heading kept it going until it crashed due to lack of fuel/no one to steer the plane.

Oersted

Malaysian Airlines: "We assume beyond any reasonable doubt that #MH370 has been lost and none of those on board survived""

Fuck

Brief statement. The Malaysian PM regrets to inform the world that the flight ended over the Indian ocean in a remote location west of Perth. After a type of analysis that has never been done before, that is what the data show. It was a very definitive statement.

So basically they are completely doing away, now, with any chance that the plane was brought somewhere else and that the people are safe and they are trying to provide some closure. It crashed. What they found is probably true wreckage <- that is my opinion

sangreal

so they haven't found it, but determined the last ping was from the middle of the ocean far from any land (in the same area as all the debris sightings) so it obviously crashed

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Sucks :(

Been hearing the military jets taking off all week, kinda surreal. (Perth resident here)

duckroll

Not a lot of details, but at least there's a little bit of closure now. Hopefully there'll be physical evidence found shortly to put the entire episode to rest. :(

Selner

There was never any doubt. May all 249 on board rest in peace.

I wouldn't say there was never any doubt. There has always been a tiny bit of doubt. Just enough to rest a tiny, tiny bit of hope on.

What's a little sad is they spent so much time searching up by land, when the plane was in the water far to the south.

Mondy

Banned
We must endeavor to find out how the fuck this plane found itself so far off course. It's going to make for an incredible story.

45jPX7T.jpg

Seriously?

Cmagus

Sad to hear hopefully they can eventually find something at some point. On a side note the coverage on MSNBC is pretty disgusting. One of the reporters are in the room with the families holding up the phone saying can you hear them like that's pretty disrespectful.

Betty

Banned
stupid question but what happens to the victims and plane do they just leave it in the ocean ?

That part of the ocean is very deep, I don't even think the black box could withstand the pressure if it sunk all the way to the ocean floor. Recovering the plane might be impossible depending on the depth it's at too.

stupid question but what happens to the victims and plane do they just leave it in the ocean ?
If it was a heavy impact with the water, the plane could be in millions of pieces. They may still never find it or the bodies, although the fact they're flying family members over could suggest some kind of confidence that they're going to find something?

e_i

We must endeavor to find out how the fuck this plane found itself so far off course. It's going to make for an incredible story.

Something went wrong in the plane, pilot changed course to find an airport. Plane didn't make it.

That part of the ocean is very deep, I don't even think the black box could withstand the pressure if it sunk all the way to the ocean floor. Recovering the plane might be impossible depending on the depth it's at too.
Not from what I have read. I think it is like 10,000ft in that area. I think it is within tolerances to get the black box if they can pick up the transmitter. I think 14,000 feet is the cutoff.

Selner

Depends on how deep the water is.
Saftey folks are going to want the black box, if it is recoverable. As it could have valuable info that could be used to prevent future tradegies like this.

If they manage to find the wreckage on the ocean floor, it could be a long time before they are able to bring anything up.

It took like two years to bring up the black box from another crash, Air France or something like that? It was tossed around here as an example.

Toadette

Banned
If it was a heavy impact with the water, the plane could be in millions of pieces. They may still never find it or the bodies, although the fact they're flying family members over could suggest some kind of confidence that they're going to find something?

wow crashing water could crush the plane into million pieces ? i never knew this very sad indeed

If the plane is shattered and the pieces scattered, would they just continue to search indefinitely? If they have been unable to find concrete proof so far, would they continue the search until they find something?

That's what I meant.

Something went wrong in the plane, pilot changed course to find an airport. Plane didn't make it.
People will be looking for more details. You would expect that the kind of malfunction that results in a plane changing course but still able to continue to fly for hours would have the capability to send a distress message of some kind.

KHarvey16

The data recorder is certified to 6000m ocean depth I believe, and there's a decent chance there's plenty of design margin there. Even if the box were crushed all that needs to survive is the flash memory ICs on the board for them to recover data.

Mondy

Banned

The plane had to have crossed over land in order to get where it is. Unless they had no idea where they were going, which is extremely unlikely, there's no logical conclusion you can come to about how they ended up where they crashed without foul play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom