• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

*above* For one month it will ping a signal nearby ships can locate.
Something went wrong in the plane, pilot changed course to find an airport. Plane didn't make it.
He then flew straight south on a path with nothing but water in sight and the plane flew well enough to stay in the air till the fuel ran out. I don't buy it.
Terrorism seems like an odd reason when no one has taken responsibility. Maybe terrorism gone wrong? Really hope the FDR and CVR can be found. Even if they were shut down manually that is still evidence in itself.

Van Owen

Banned
45jPX7T.jpg

Seriously?

Part of the reason I still watch Woody Allen films.

The plane had to have crossed over land in order to get where it is. Unless they had no idea where they were going, which is extremely unlikely, there's no logical conclusion you can come to about how they ended up where they crashed without foul play.

Incapacitated pilots, plane continues trajectory until it runs out of fuel.

JonnyBrad

The plane had to have crossed over land in order to get where it is. Unless they had no idea where they were going, which is extremely unlikely, there's no logical conclusion you can come to about how they ended up where they crashed without foul play.

Cockpit fire causes transponder / electrics failure. Pilots turn home. Are knocked out by the smoke or a decompression. Plane then flies on until it runs out of fuel.

To me it's more likely than terrorism.

sangreal

Doesn't explain why ACARS and radio were turned off, even if you attribute the plane changing course to an emergency...

damaged by the aforementioned emergency

foul play leading to ditching the airplane in the middle of the ocean thousands of miles away doesn't explain disabling acars either

Betty

Banned
Not from what I have read. I think it is like 10,000ft in that area. I think it is within tolerances to get the black box if they can pick up the transmitter. I think 14,000 feet is the cutoff.

That's good then, hopefully they manage to find it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ohh, what if the sudden ascent to 40,000 feet was an autopilot error, suffocating all then the plane continued, unless that data was incorrect/

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Where is the proof? Did they find actual debris? Or are they speculating based on data that there was nowhere else it could have landed?

AndyD

aka andydumi
After turning 180 degrees at 30,000 feet? That is quite a reach.

It's not inconceivable. The turn was pre-programmed into the flight computer.

I think the potential theory is that they had a minor incident, then they programmed the turn towards closest airport to try and land/survive, then another incident or worsening of the first and they became incapacitated and the plane became unmanned at that point and flew til out of gas on the new course. And various systems were also disabled by the same incident at various points in time.

Dryk

Not from what I have read. I think it is like 10,000ft in that area. I think it is within tolerances to get the black box if they can pick up the transmitter. I think 14,000 feet is the cutoff.
Water that deep is going to shave a kilometre or two off of the detection radius too

kiyomi

Sad to see confirmation, but it was only a matter of time before the passengers and crew were declared deceased.

Now I just hope for everyone involved that the cause of the problem is figured out and hopefully rectified and improved upon in future air travel.

LNBL

Crazy how the airplane ended up south west of Perth while it was supposed to go to Beijing.

wait Relatives Notified Via Text they told the families this news my txt message ?

if some dies they deserve a phone call

True, but would you rather wait if you are going to be the last family to be notified. It's a cold method, but I think it was done to be informed asap.

Jintor

horrible news, though expected. thoughts are with the families of those affected.

i hope one day we'll find out what happened

liquidtmd

Banned
I thought the families were being briefed fully prior to the press conference.

That can't be right - that they were notified by text? Surely. I'm given them the benefit of the doubt but my God if thats true....

Alpha_eX

Text is quickest way to let the families know before the media get hold of it. I think that was the intention, let them know soon as possible and before hearing it casually on the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom