• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynt9

I am a little curious about the analysis "never before used in this field" stuff though. I imagine it's some sort of military/intelligence type stuff.

Probably because it was never a necessity to use this kind of analysis before. I work in a form of data analysis, and you can extrapolate a lot of side information from data if you really want to using techniques from other fields, you just rarely need to.

I don't get how this is big news. They still haven't found anything from the plane so all this "news" is saying is that they think it crashed in the southern indian ocean according to data analysis. They still dont really know anything about what happened to the plane. Its not the end of the story, its just that they cant finish the story. I guess they're trying to find a way to put some sort of finite spin on this (even though its actually business as usual) since the search is winding down.

Winding down? Are you watching/reading what I am?

They're trying to get people to find closure, have funerals, etc, because the very professional analysis at this point says they shouldn't keep waiting.

Closure to accept the deaths is what they're aiming for, what exactly happened and dealing with essentially the plane and everyone else vanishing is still developing. It's that pivot from a search and rescue to a salvage which I'm not sure they put out there yet.

Making it sound like this development is some sort of closure to this whole debacle.
It seems like they've just done everything as methodically as possible, and there is no longer any doubt that the plane crashed in roughly that area. It was already very likely several days ago that the plane crashed in this location - they've clearly waited until they are absolutely sure. When that stage is reached, you have to inform the families and the press, because otherwise they would continue to think there are other possibilities, no matter how unreasonable.

And where is there any suggestion that the search is winding down? If anything it has been stepped up, as the area is more focused.

Phones ring during the buildup of a connection, no matter if the phone is dead or not.

Come on. Either answer the question accurately or don't add to the mess. That't not accurate - and it's almost impossible to explain how that whole intentional call routing thing works in a sentence or two. I hate to see this thread turning into Yahoo Answers, people shooting from the hip with responses like this. If you can't explain it, don't try. It doesn't do anyone, any good.

breakfuss

So they haven't actually found any wreckage...

Phones ring during the buildup of a connection, no matter if the phone is dead or not.

I don't doubt this is the case, but not every phone rings when turned off. Mine doesn't as well as most people I know. Just goes straight to voicemail greeting.

Just that phones ringing doesn't indicate anything -- often the caller will hear a ring while the satellite is looking for a signal. Nothing more.

Thanks ducki

Kind of like what I initially thought that since the phones were actually were not in their home network, it was ringing whilst it was looking for that phone!

Extreme confidence is very different than actually knowing, they've overturned things countless times before so I'm extremely skeptical of this data analysis. Is there any specifics to it?

I don't understand what there is to be sceptical about? The British Authorities/Inmarsat would not have just jumped to this conclusion. There has to be a large degree of certainty that the plane is lost for them to have passed on this information.

This has simply concluded that the plane is lost in the ocean. The next stage will be to find and salvage wreckage and then start looking for the black boxes. Which could take months/years.

I don't doubt this is the case, but not every phone rings when turned off. Mine doesn't as well as most people I know. Just goes straight to voicemail greeting.

If everyone had switched their phones off the network would know the phone was off and you'd immediately go to the voicemail or unrechable tone. Phones which were switched on would fly out of coverage and when called the network would try to connect to the phone for about 20 seconds. In these 20 seconds there could be silence or the network could be configured to play a 'ringing' tone to not have a silence that could trigger people to hang up.

Linkhero1

Making it sound like this development is some sort of closure to this whole debacle.

It really is a development. They weren't able to find the plane. Together with the satellite ping, amount of fuel on board, and supporting evidence from military radar, they came to a conclusion that it crashed where it was assumed to have flown over. It obviously didn't fly over any country in the region otherwise it would have been easily spotted.

numble

It really is a development. They weren't able to find the plane. Together with the satellite ping, amount of fuel on board, and supporting evidence from military radar, they came to a conclusion that it crashed where it was last spotted. It obviously didn't fly over any country in the region otherwise it would have been easily spotted.
It was last spotted in the South China Sea.

Rest in peace Flight 370 passengers/crew.

At first I was questioning why they were able to confirm that "all lives are lost" but I suspect that this data was good enough to see that the plane crashed too hard for any survivors:
Unprecedented analysis of satellite data sent by the plane by British satellite provider Inmarsat and the British Air Accidents Investigation Branch.

Damn. Just damn.

All those who were affected by this disaster have my deepest condolences.

Rest in peace to everyone aboard that flight. What a tragic end to these two weeks of searching, hoping, and praying. :(

dorkimoe

Didn't some dude survive in the ocean for like months? Sorry but until they find it I don't think you can say all lives are lost.

They knew how much fuel they had from the beginning. Now all of a sudden they're just like yup it crashed. All of a sudden we accept that it crashed when we kind of figured that from the beginning. Crazy they will probably never know what happened. Fucked up

Zarovitch

Didn't some dude survive in the ocean for like months? Sorry but until they find it I don't think you can say all lives are lost.

They knew how much fuel they had from the beginning. Now all of a sudden they're just like yup it crashed. All of a sudden we accept that it crashed when we kind of figured that from the beginning. Crazy they will probably never know what happened. Fucked up

If they know the altitude (and the speed like SniperHunter write) the plane was, it's possible to think that nobody could survive i guess.

no

if the plane smashes the ocean travelling at 500 km/h no one will survive.

Amzin

The news is reporting that families were notified by text message?

Lol wow.

When you're trying to notify probably a thousand people, in a short period of time how do you do it? If you call, how long can each call last? Do you call the S.O. plus the children, because you don't know who's in the same room? Who is making all these calls? Where are these people coming from? What if these people you're trying to call are busy?

People are seriously over reacting to this text thing.

Narrowed it to the point they know the plane crashed into the ocean and no one could have survived at this point. That's why they let the families know.

It was already the most likely scenario that it crashed into the ocean and this is just allegedly confirming it. I don't think they should say that everyone died (even if its extremely likely) until they find the bodies, but I can't imagine the pain these families are going through so I can see why they did.

HoosTrax

If the satellite company is confident in the conclusion reached via their analysis, then I honestly take them at their word and trust the findings. But I think at least some of the victims' families will be in a state of denial until something physical and tangible is found, so I hope the search turns up some real wreckage soon, so people don't continue to cling to false hope and can move on.

Deku Tree

It was already the most likely scenario that it crashed into the ocean an this is just allegedly confirming it. I don't think they should say that everyone died until they find the bodies (even if its extremely likely), but I can't imagine the pain these families are going through so I can see why they duds

I imagine that once the probability of everyone dying is extremely likely then it causes more harm than good not to declare it. People may need to collect insurance money to support themselves. The airline probably needs to distribute insurance money. Humans have a strong desire for closure. Etc...

Coins

Banned
When you're trying to notify probably a thousand people, in a short period of time how do you do it? If you call, how long can each call last? Do you call the S.O. plus the children, because you don't know who's in the same room? Who is making all these calls? Where are these people coming from? What if these people you're trying to call are busy?

People are seriously over reacting to this text thing.

I wonder how people were notified before text messages?

This news should be handled in person.

Blader

Impossible to brief hundreds of people, likely not all in one place, all at once before the media gets a hold of the information (which would probably be instantaneous).

It's not the most tactful way of breaking the news but it's the only practical way of doing it before everyone else hears.

Serra

It was the easiest way to let the families know BEFORE the media. If they had waited to tell everyone in person, the media would certainly have known and shouted it from the rooftops. And then we would have you and others here complaining why didn't they contact the famileis first.

Amzin

I wonder how people got from one continent to another back in the day, too.

Older isn't better just because, especially when you factor in other modern variables, like the media, as already mentioned a dozen times. If they called, the media would break the story before 1/10 of the families were notified by phone. I would much rather receive a text with the initial news.

Don't forget, they're also doing a conference for the families, the texts were the initial break.

Sky News received this response from Malaysia Airlines.

d9d76959-4f54-441a-85b7-1026288dcf53.jpg

It was already the most likely scenario that it crashed into the ocean and this is just allegedly confirming it. I don't think they should say that everyone died (even if its extremely likely) until they find the bodies, but I can't imagine the pain these families are going through so I can see why they did.

What is the alternative? It's very likely that they won't find any bodies or very few at most. In the meantime are they supposed to keep everyone who is waiting on news of a relative in agony for the next months/years? At what point do you suggest they tell them? A plane has smashed into the sea likely at around 500mph. What other possible outcomes are there other than 'everyone is dead'?

Dazzler

The Irish Independent newspaper are currently using this photo as their main one regarding the missing plane. Completely rotten imo

Splash-NEW.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom