• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
JRsnReV.jpg

https://twitter.com/austinramzy/status/448087145937264640

So that was the object seen on all satellites photos then? It has the same dark spot in the middle...

Imagine if in fact they are searching in the wrong location.

andthebeatgoeson

Did Sky News really release this information by taking a screenshot of someone's note app on their phone?
Haha, first grief over how the airline released info, now grief over how it's being released by the media. Can someone complain about how I released this post? This is hilarious from afar.

Sad for the families. Maybe they can start the process to grieve.

Jimrpg

How did it end up there anyway? This is still so fucking puzzling.

Yep I don't get it.

What happened to all the previous information about it following a bunch of waypoints and deliberate action?

So after the 'deliberate action'... it flew 7 hours around half of Australia and ended in the indian ocean... I still think it went undetected through the northern corridor. No government is going to suggest it flew undetected through their military radar - if that's the reasoning they believe its the southern corridor, then i don't buy it.

Also I don't like how in all the statements, the Malaysian authorities have always said 'the first thing they want to do is find the plane'. It makes sound like they don't care about the people on board and all they are interested in is their property.

There's been a lot of reports in the Malaysian newspapers saying why the plane turned around and flew through Malaysian airspace undetected, and the Malaysian official basically said it was ok because we are not at war, so there's nothing to worry about. They also said, by the time they got their act together it was too late to intercept the plane and that it wasn't heading for any targets so they just let it go. REALLY? I can't believe he said something like that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
To me it seems to be looking less and less likely that they have seen any debris from the actual plane. It seems most was based on the big white thing seen in satellites, which appears to have just been the whale carcass.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
To me it seems to be looking less and less likely that they have seen any debris from the actual plane. It seems most was based on the big white thing seen in satellites, which appears to have just been the whale carcass.

I'm wondering where the heck are the debris :/

CNN showing reaction videos. Half of them seem to be families railing against the media swarming around them as they exit the meeting. CNN makes no mention of this.

Just says "they're upset"

crozier

Its "last position" was in the middle of the Indian Ocean? Does this mean that, based on the location of the last ping (which is distance from the satellite, and not really a location at all), there was no direction the plane could have headed and still reached land based on available fuel?

The cynic is me thinks they're conveniently doing this because this search is quite expensive and can't continue indefinitely.

BunnyBear

I wonder how people were notified before text messages?

This news should be handled in person.

Before text messages, you didn't have 24 hours news and methods to transport information to millions instantly. Can you imagine if this information was transmitted via Twitter or something similar and seen by a relative before they had gotten their call, or been spoken to.

It's the best way to spread information privately, and instantly.

Can someone explain in layman's terms how/why Immarsat managed to narrow it down to two possible corridors based off pings?

No. But from what I gathered from the news:

They spent all weekend looking back at previous Malaysian 777 flights and compared the satellite data to data for this specific flight. They used principles of the Doppler effect to determine likely position of the plane. This technique had not been used before in this field. They used scientists from similar fields to corroborate their results before passing them on to the Malaysian authorities.

PopeReal

While I think it probably crashed (no tinfoil hat), they are basically just saying it did with no actual physical proof. No wreckage, no motive or reasons for plain to be where it was last.

So that is it? I would guess family members would want some more info.

ced

While I think it probably crashed (no tinfoil hat), they are basically just saying it did with no actual physical proof. No wreckage, no motive or reasons for plain to be where it was last.

The data is proof.

Cromat

Can someone explain in layman's terms how/why Immarsat managed to narrow it down to two possible corridors based off pings?

I'm not an expert but I think they got the two corridors by examining the duration it took for the signal to get to the satellite from the plane. Using that you can receive an estimate of the distance, a radius of where the plane could have been. When you compare this data with the amount of fuel on the plane you get the two corridors.

Regarding how they pinpointed the exact position, they probably used the Doppler effect on the signal created by the rotation of the Earth. The Earth rotates from the east to the west, right? So the plane was dragged away from the satellite, 'stretching' the signal wave a bit. I guess by using complex analysis of the signal with data about the speed of the Earth's rotation they managed to substantially narrow down the area where the plane last transmitted.

nynt9

Ping is a measure of how long it takes for you to send a message and get it back. One ping lets you get an idea as to how far you can be from something, basically draw a radius around a point. If you constantly ping while moving, it will give you a trajectory of possible distances. Do some math, take into account other factors and couple this with multiple listeners if more than one target was pinged, and you can narrow the location down to a few potential trajectories.

Betty

Banned
But I mean what were they telling themselves? That someone hijacked the plane and landed it somewhere?

Sadly, I just couldn't see a realistic scenario after 2-3 days where things ended happily.

Yeah, I think most people did, myself included, but some still hoped in spite of all that.

Linkhero1

They're searching for the black box. Hopefully they stumble upon something because I think the information on the black box will be crucial.

I'm not an expert but I think they got the two corridors by examining the duration it took for the signal to get to the satellite from the plane. Using that you can receive an estimate of the distance, a radius of where the plane could have been. When you compare this data with the amount of fuel on the plane you get the two corridors.

Regarding how they pinpointed the exact position, they probably used the Doppler effect on the signal created by the rotation of the Earth. The Earth rotates from the east to the west, right? So the plane was dragged away from the satellite, 'stretching' the signal wave a bit. I guess by using complex analysis of the signal with data about the speed of the Earth's rotation they managed to substantially narrow down the area where the plane last transmitted.

I think this is about right. I'm not an expert by any means, but my interpretation is that they had data from previous flights - frequency of the radar 'ping', position of the planes and position of the sateliite. From this, given the frequency of the radar ping of flight MH370 and the position of the satellite, they could calculate the position of the plane.

fallout

So uh wait. This is what is doing rounds in the news? They actually have no plane. Find the goddamn plane before you make such announcements based of some shady numbers.
They likely won't have a plane for years, if ever. There's room to question their methods, but what makes you think the numbers are shady? Numbers are all they would ever have to go on.

PopeReal

So how much money is this going to cost the airline company?

With no info on cause of crash that opens up possibilities of airline error (something dangerous stored in the cargo hold, some mechanical problem that was missed, employees actually involved in deliberate flight path change, etc).

They are offering up nothing so aren't they going to get sued like crazy by family members of the victims?

So uh wait. This is what is doing rounds in the news? They actually have no plane. Find the goddamn plane before you make such announcements based of some shady numbers.
Can you imagine what kind of reaction they would get if their conclusion turned out to be incorrect? These 'shady numbers' have been carefully verified, over many days. They wouldn't make such an announcement unless they were 100% sure. There was no obligation to make this statement prematurely - the search could have continued as normal without a conclusive statement for many more days.

KHarvey16

So how much money is this going to cost the airline company?

With no info on cause of crash that opens up possibilities of airline error (something dangerous stored in the cargo hold, some mechanical problem that was missed, employees actually involved in deliberate flight path change, etc).

They are offering up nothing so aren't they going to get sued like crazy by family members of the victims?

They haven't even found it yet. I don't understand what you're saying.

U2NUMB

Very sad day for the families. Have been following this story from a distance... still such a mystery as to what happened. I sure hope they one day find the black box or hell even some evidence of the plane for true closure.

RIP to those on the plane

demigod

So glad it wasn't me on that plane. Went to Malaysia in January this year. Malaysian PM are so fail. How do you declare something when you have no proof? Just like the hijacking. Idiots.

I highly doubt this plane crashed, I think it landed somewhere.

Zarovitch

So glad it wasn't me on that plane. Went to Malaysia in January this year. Malaysian PM are so fail. How do you declare something when you have no proof? Just like the hijacking. Idiots.

Why do you reject the new analysis of the data?

This development involving the whale... wow. It makes me want to stop following this until all is resolved. I know it is my own fault for being a news hound, but I feel like a dog that keeps getting tricked with a ball getting fake-thrown for me.

This is getting weird now. Are we really going to split into camps of "find the damn pieces or else cannot declare it has crashed"?

And you're basing your hypothesis off of what exactly?

PopeReal

They haven't even found it yet. What could you sue them for that doesn't have to wait for an investigation into what happened?

Your family member boarded a flight headed to China, the plane ended up crashing in the the Indian ocean (way off course). This is what the airline is saying without having any wreckage or reasons for said crash.

Why would you have to wait for years (if ever) for something to be found before you take legal action?

KHarvey16

Your family member boarded a flight headed to China, the plane ended up crashing in the the Indian ocean (way off course). This is what the airline is saying without having any wreckage or reasons for said crash.

Why would you have to wait for years (if ever) for something to be found before you take legal action?

Who are you suing and for what reason? Boeing? The airline? Why?

blurrygil

Because you have no evidence of negligence of any sorts...?

JonnyBrad

Immarsat's satellites are geostationary. So it wouldn't be an earth rotation thing. It would be a fixed point relative to the plane.

I believe the doppler effect came from small movements of the satellite caused by gravitational effects (The sun and moon likely make it wobble a little in it's position)

These movements are really slight and the maths would have been really hard but that is how they did it.

Its amazing they worked it out in a week. Its not something anyone would ever have thought to do before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom