• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

PopeReal

But that's the problem. If you don't know what happened because it's so early you don't know who was at fault and you certainly can't offer enough evidence to win a lawsuit.

You can offer evidence that the airline said your family members died in a place they weren't supposed to be.

Isn't that negligence?

Jezbollah

Tragic news. RIP to all those on board.

Genuinely hope we find the black box as soon as possible and actually get some proper answers as to why this happened.

Goodlife

It doesn't sound that way at all. It appears Inmarsat has been performing an analysis on the data they had and have now got it to the point they're confident it took the southern corridor.
If it takes 2 weeks to perform that then they really need to upgrade their computer systems or something

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So glad it wasn't me on that plane. Went to Malaysia in January this year. Malaysian PM are so fail. How do you declare something when you have no proof? Just like the hijacking. Idiots.

I highly doubt this plane crashed, I think it landed somewhere.

I am 99% certain you are wrong. Just because you don't understand the data and question it does not make the reality of it any less true.

We can now say with almost complete certainty that flight 370 went down in the Indian Ocean hundreds of miles SW of Perth. Sure we don't have any wreckage yet, but the data tracks are unfortunately conclusive. The real question that now needs to be answered is how in the hell did it fly so far off course and out into the middle of nowhere?

satori

I was hoping the people were safe on that plane on Gilligan's Islands of some sort. Then I hope there are some survivors. Now I hope they find some answers so at least the family of those that died can have some resemblance of some closure.

Terrible all around :(

catmincer

It infuriates me how much time they spent fucking around looking for it around Malaysia. Not to mention the arseholes who claimed they saw it crash near Vietnam. Perhaps if there weren't these false reports it might have meant the search area widened and they found the plane faster.

Even if they find the voice recorders, we might never know the full picture of what happened. The voice recorder will only keep the last two hours of data. So if a load of trouble hit shortly after take off, none of that voice data will be available.

According to Inmarsat's new analysis:

"the plane was flying at cruising height, above 30,000ft. They found no evidence of fluctuating heights being reported."

Chris Goodfellow's analysis from ages ago:

"Reports of altitude fluctuations. Well given that this was not transponder generated data but primary radar at maybe 200 miles the azimuth readings can be affected by a lot of atmospherics and I would not have high confidence in this being totally reliable."

So again, the simple explanation continues to be the most valid.

demigod

Why do you reject the new analysis of the data?

This is getting weird now. Are we really going to split into camps of "find the damn pieces or else cannot declare it has crashed"?

And you're basing your hypothesis off of what exactly?

Which analysis? The ones where multiple countries said they found debris but came up nothing? So tell me, WHERE IS THE PLANE? I won't believe it crashed until there's evidence.

KHarvey16

Which analysis? The ones where multiple countries said they found debris but came up nothing? So tell me, WHERE IS THE PLANE? I won't believe it crashed until there's evidence.

Multiple countries have spotted objects out at sea. They even showed us the pictures. Discovering that debris is not related to the crash contradicts what analysis, exactly?

The satellite data carried out by one of the world's leader in this area. The collaboration of this company with the UK aircrash investigation team. The corroboration of the analysis by other leading scientists in this field. The data shows the whereabouts of the plane the last time it was pinged by the satellite. This, in conjunction with the amount of fuel on board the plane at the time that the last ping was received can only mean that the plane crashed into the sea.

Konka

Banned

The plane may never be found. They have solid data that shows it went down. You're just gonna be a conspiracy theorist forever then?

Finaika

This is very sad.

And very, very puzzling. What actually happened? How did it end up in the Indian Ocean, so far from its intended destination. I really want to know what happened.

Even though I regret what has happened, I honestly just don't believe the plane had the fuel to go the distance where the debris are claimed to have been found.

An interesting post, not personally suggesting this , but a worthy read nonetheless.

http://fahaddalvi.wordpress.com/2014/03/24/fate-of-mh370-a-government-conspiracy/

Bottom line is all are dead. Whether the plane crashed, or the air force crashed it. :(

A USA government conspiracy? The Air Force crashed it? I...what...no. Just stop.

KHarvey16

Even though I regret what has happened, I honestly just don't believe the plane had the fuel to go the distance where the debris are claimed to have been found.

An interesting post, not personally suggesting this , but a worthy read nonetheless.

http://fahaddalvi.wordpress.com/2014/03/24/fate-of-mh370-a-government-conspiracy/

Bottom line is all are dead. Whether the plane crashed, or the air force crashed it. :(

The amount of fuel on board and range of the aircraft is not a matter of belief.

zma1013

If anything is to be found, it will probably be in a year or so when some small scraps of debris wash up on a beach somewhere and someone figures out it's from the plane or passengers. Other than that, I'd imagine most pieces large enough to be identified via satellite would have probably sunk into the ocean.

sangreal

So glad it wasn't me on that plane. Went to Malaysia in January this year. Malaysian PM are so fail. How do you declare something when you have no proof? Just like the hijacking. Idiots.

I highly doubt this plane crashed, I think it landed somewhere.

They have proof that the last ping puts it in the middle of the ocean; iirc it would've been able to fly for 30 more minutes after the last ping. Therefore, it could not possibly have reached land and obviously crashed somewhere in the ocean

akira28

It sucks. They're probably regretting that they let the media run all over the field with this one. Because all they have is a location and the fact of a disappearance. Normally people wouldn't jump to conclusions but War on terror and muslims and Asia and transient black holes. And now no real closure, just admitting that they've reach a dead end. Just makes it worse for the families involved.

Fjolle

According to Inmarsat's new analysis:

"the plane was flying at cruising height, above 30,000ft. They found no evidence of fluctuating heights being reported."

Chris Goodfellow's analysis from ages ago:

"Reports of altitude fluctuations. Well given that this was not transponder generated data but primary radar at maybe 200 miles the azimuth readings can be affected by a lot of atmospherics and I would not have high confidence in this being totally reliable."

So again, the simple explanation continues to be the most valid.

The fact that he was right about the altitude doesn't make anything about the rest of his story more or less correct.

mephixto

Banned
The plane may never be found. They have solid data that shows it went down. You're just gonna be a conspiracy theorist forever then?

I hope they found something, even a little debris, if not expect lots of series on the "History" channel about how ancient aliens abducted the plane.

Falk

that puzzling face
Just woke up, catching up now. Despite this being expected by many quarters, it's still a crushing development. Rest in peace, those aboard. :(

PopeReal

So the general consensus is that families of the passengers have no legal action available to them for compensation due to lost of loved ones since there is no proof of negligence.

That is what I was asking, thanks for your responses. Must be frustrating for family members.

blurrygil

scsa
(Today, 11:04 AM)

stonecold.thumbnail.jpg

Uh...ok.

Falk

that puzzling face
So the general consensus is that families of the passengers have no legal action available to them for compensation due to lost of loved ones since there is no proof of negligence.

That is what I was asking, thanks for your responses. Must be frustrating for family members.

That may change as more data comes to light (specifically black box, but good luck finding -that-), but currently, that sounds about right.

SuperSah

Banned

In theory, the passengers could sue for a Breach of Contract, however, relatives cannot inherit the right to sue for them.

Kind of a complicated Law, but there IS a workaround available.

syllogism

That's what insurance is for

KHarvey16

In theory, the passengers could sue for a Breach of Contract, however, relatives cannot inherit the right to sue for them.

Kind of a complicated Law, but there IS a workaround available.

Breach of contract? They aren't liable for not getting you there if a manufacturing defect crashes the plane.

JonnyBrad

One of the people quoted in that stupid blog is Noel o Gara. He's a complete crank. He see's conspiracies in his morning Rice Krispies.

MIMIC

Banned
National Post:

Najib said Inmarsat had done further calculations “using a type of analysis never before used in an investigation of this sort,” and had concluded that the plane’s last position was “in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth.”

So nothing about the plane crashing and ending up in a million pieces? No indication of trauma to the plane? How did they come to the conclusion that everybody died? It's still possible that it "crash landed" in the ocean, especially since it flew for 7 hours.

Falk

that puzzling face
Are you for real?

edit: Okay, my last few posts has been snarky as all fuck, so

There really isn't any chance for survival without water for more than three days. This isn't even taking into account deep sea temperatures, weather, exhaustion, etc.

MIMIC

Banned
Are you for real?

edit: Okay, my last few posts has been snarky as all fuck, so

There really isn't any chance for survival without water for more than three days. This isn't even taking into account deep sea temperatures, weather, exhaustion, etc.

I didn't consider that. But I was referring to the insinuation that the people were dead "because the plane slammed into the ocean"

And wouldn't there be food and water on the plane anyway? Not to last for a year obviously, but enough for a few weeks maybe.

JaseMath

I feel like this announcement is just conceding defeat. I don't think anybody will really have any idea of what actually happened.

syllogism

Even if you buy into the notion that the facts still leave room for some kind of bizarre mechanical error as an explanation, the plane still flew until it ran out of fuel and didn't "crash land" in any kind of controlled fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom